Detective Chirpums: Private Investigator [Noir + Birds!]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
detective

Detective Chirpums: Private Investigator [Noir + Birds!]

#1 Post by detective »

DETECTIVE CHIRPUMS: PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR

THE STORY OF A SPARROW…

They say the city’s a roost for every bird.

Detective Chirpums is more than happy to disagree with that. Almost as much as he is downing a bottle of Grackle’s Finest in one sitting.

He’s the city’s best detective. He’s the city’s only detective. Because someone had to.

And he’s got a new case. It’s his only chance at paying rent for the month. And not unlike too many of his cases, this one comes with a dame in sheep’s clothing.

DEMO + FULL GAME

You can get both the demo and the full game of Detective Chirpums here! Compatible for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Alternatively, I'm having a bundle sale.  You can get Detective Chirpums, Graverobber, and Gods of Nowhere together for $3.99 here.

SCREENSHOTS

DEVELOPER NOTES

Birds! Noir! Puzzles! Hardboiled lines that never end! Everything that’s good in the world. It’s all in this game, which I hope you guys enjoy.

Have fun sleuthing!
Last edited by detective on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

Re: Detective Chirpums: Private Investigator [Noir + Birds!]

#2 Post by potouto »

Woahhhh!! This look so interesting and cute!! Played all three of your games and I adore your writing style. This look bery hilarious for a mystery game! I will try the demo out and probably purchase the game. Looking forward to see your other future projects too!!

yeah well | commission | website

kersplode
Regular
Projects: Keep On Creepin' On

#3 Post by kersplode »

i love the demo so far! you've combined three of my loves: noir, birds, and excellent storytelling. there is a little problem i have from the demo, though--it's a little hard to differentiate between when chirpums is doing his narration and when he's actually talking. this is pretty noticeable when you get the phone call. reading it made me kind of confused.

definitely going to be buying this soon, though!

detective

#4 Post by detective »

@Josie

Thanks! I'm really glad you played and liked the previous games and I hope you enjoy DC too.

@keysplode

Ah yeah, looking back I can definitely see how it'd be difficult to distinguish narration and talking because of that. I will definitely keep that in mind for future projects. Also, thanks for playing the demo, glad you enjoyed it!

And to everyone reading: I just started a week-long bundle sale. You can get Detective Chirpums, Graverobber, and Gods of Nowhere for $3.99 right here. Enjoy!

Jackrabbit

#5 Post by Jackrabbit »

Well, I was definitely excited for this. The art looks really unique, the birdverse is cute, and Noir is always good, so it's a winning combo. And I really enjoyed the first five minutes! But then I got a riddle shoved in my face, sans clues or instructions, and failing does not allow you to skip it. I'm sure this kind of riddle is simple for anyone familiar with detective games, but I have zero idea what to do with it.

I strongly suggest you either add an in-game hint system, or create a walkthrough in your site. People tend to feel cheated if they buy a game and cannot play it fully because they are not as clever as the developer thought they ought to be.

maricon

#6 Post by maricon »

This looks interesting. Were you inspired by Hatotful Boyfriend?

detective

#7 Post by detective »

@Jackrabbit:

Ah! Sorry about that. A hint system could be good, I'll keep that in mind for future games. Thanks for trying it out though.

@maricon:

Thanks, and not really, no (although HB is a really great game). Mostly, I just like birds and detectives a lot.

detective

#8 Post by detective »

So I went ahead and re-uploaded the files with some dialogue hints (still re-uploading the demo files). Below is the added dialogue, and I hope this helps anyone else who might be having difficulty with the first puzzle.
CHIRPUMS: “I, UH…”

DAME: “YOUR LACK OF ABILITY TO SOLVE SUCH A SIMPLE THING ISN’T VERY BECOMING FOR A POTENTIAL INVESTIGATOR.”

DAME: “WHY DON’T YOU TRY LOOKING AT THE THING IN A DIFFERENT WAY?”

CHIRPUMS: “DIFFERENT WAY?”

DAME: “THINGS CAN BE LOOKED AT IN DIFFERENT WAYS, AND EVEN IF THEY’RE UNCHANGING, PERHAPS YOU’LL NOTICE SOMETHING NEW.”

DAME: “IMAGINE IF WE LIVED IN A WORLD WHERE, INSTEAD OF READING HORIZONTALLY, WE READ THINGS DIFFERENTLY.”

DAME: “YOUR EYES AUTOMATICALLY MOVE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, BUT WHAT IF THE DIRECTION OF THE WORDS AREN’T SO?”

DAME: “BACKWARDS? OR CRISSCROSS, PERHAPS.”

DAME: “CARE TO TRY AGAIN?”
Again, sorry! I can see how the puzzle was unclear and hopefully this will help a bit.

Jackrabbit

#9 Post by Jackrabbit »

Ah, now I get it. I didn't even realize I was supposed to try and read that thing - I thought it might be code or something.

Another thing that might be helpful is some sort of indication when the cursor is on something you can interact with. Since the background are mostly dark, it can be difficult to know exactly what you are clicking on.

Shiroisalva5
Projects: The fountain in the woods, Stained with Magic, Bog
Organization: Hikage Studios
Deviantart: saruva05.deviantart.
itch: kuroi05

#10 Post by Shiroisalva5 »

Played the game and have to say I loved it!

There are some tips for small improvements for the visuals, (other members already pointed it out), besides that the whole game is great.
You mixed the ingredients and created a nice tasty reading experience :D

Definetely worth the money :)

Would be great id there might be a second adventure..
ImageImageImageImage

trepiechick
Regular

#11 Post by trepiechick »

I'm sorry for being such an idiot but could someone give a hint or two about the answer to the first puzzle? I can read the clues fine and have tried every answer I could think of regarding
clocks, clock towers, places with a view where clocks might be, etc.
but am still coming up empty handed.

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#12 Post by Inksword »

trepiechick wrote:I'm sorry for being such an idiot but could someone give a hint or two about the answer to the first puzzle? I can read the clues fine and have tried every answer I could think of regarding
clocks, clock towers, places with a view where clocks might be, etc.
but am still coming up empty handed.
The riddle isn't the riddle, simply reading it was the first part of the test so you need to copy what it says in proper english to the answer box
And I must say I am THRILLED to have found this. Noir! Birds! NOIR AND BIRDS TOGETHER THIS IS GREAT! Playing the demo now but I'm probably going to buy the full game!