Monster+Connect! [adventure, monsters, dating sim]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

Monster+Connect! [adventure, monsters, dating sim]

#1 Post by saguaro »

Monster+Connect! is a short dating sim/adventure game made for LD30. After the monster and human dimensions collide, a monster embarks on a journey to find her human soulmate. The post-compo version includes a fully-customized GUI, sprite and background animations, godawful beeping noises, and a few other things we didn't have time to add during the jam.

Features
- Dual command windows, allowing player to control both characters simultaneously
- Goofy-looking monsters
- Adventure-game exploration and mechanics
- A glimpse into saguaro's coffee-addled mind
- Unarchived source code
- Released under CC BY 4.0

Download all-in-one version at the website.

Statistics:

The game contains 102 dialogue blocks, containing 1,132 words and 6,093
characters, for an average of 11.1 words and 60 characters per block.

The game contains 4 menus, 24 images, and 18 screens.
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
screenshot0004.png
screenshot0005.png

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

Re: Monster+Connect! [adventure, monsters, dating sim]

#2 Post by fioricca »

A SAGUARO RELEASE I'M HITTING THAT DOWNLOAD BUTTON SO FAST

Congrats on the release and I'll share my thoughts after playing! I just can't wait to scream at you BREATHES FIRE I LOVE ALL OF YOUR GAMES... .. .

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#3 Post by Helianthus »

Oh, the post-compo version is out? I didn't think you were still working on it! :shock:
I've played and finished the original version during Ludum Dare since I was entering too (shameless link to my own topic) and wouldn't miss out on one of your works. But I'll try out that one to see what's new :D

It's been a while already but I'm still so proud to have made it on the TOP100 with you, ahah :oops:
Fioricca already beat me in the fangirl department but hey, unofficial fanclub GO :lol:

mollycubed

#4 Post by mollycubed »

This looks really neat! Downloading now.

Hopefully I don't fall asleep before finishing it tonight :x

The game was so short! I really wanted to help more monsters connect :(
I loved the 8-bit style and the goofy monsters. Great game!
i like watching cooking shows but i have no idea how to cook

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#5 Post by ketskari »

I loved the retro graphics and the writing! This is a lovely little game. :)

One odd thing:
The first couple of times I played, If I found the crowbar, and went straight from there to the gate, I wouldn't get the option to bash the gate. But then once, when I finally decided to go to the alley, and pet the impling, then back to the bar and return agan to the alley to pet the impling again, somehow it then let me pick up the crowbar? I haven't been able to repeat this since, though..

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by saguaro »

fioricca wrote:A SAGUARO RELEASE I'M HITTING THAT DOWNLOAD BUTTON SO FAST

Congrats on the release and I'll share my thoughts after playing! I just can't wait to scream at you BREATHES FIRE I LOVE ALL OF YOUR GAMES... .. .
Haha, you're too kind! ::fans flames::
Helianthus wrote:Oh, the post-compo version is out? I didn't think you were still working on it! :shock:
I've played and finished the original version during Ludum Dare since I was entering too (shameless link to my own topic) and wouldn't miss out on one of your works. But I'll try out that one to see what's new :D

It's been a while already but I'm still so proud to have made it on the TOP100 with you, ahah :oops:
Fioricca already beat me in the fangirl department but hey, unofficial fanclub GO :lol:
I was originally going to release when they announced the results, but all that gamer gate stuff eroded my enthusiasm. The updates to 1.1 are aesthetic things I couldn't cram into the compo, no significant content changes.

It was fun seeing so many Ren'Py devs participate this time! Trying to get into the Top 100 Club shall be my LD goal from now on.
mollycubed wrote:The game was so short! I really wanted to help more monsters connect :(
I loved the 8-bit style and the goofy monsters. Great game!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! The monsters were ridiculously fun to draw and animate. I wanted to expand it, but I doubt that will happen. I always *think* I'm going to expand these LD games into longer releases, but I never get around to it.
ketskari wrote:I loved the retro graphics and the writing! This is a lovely little game. :)

One odd thing:
The first couple of times I played, If I found the crowbar, and went straight from there to the gate, I wouldn't get the option to bash the gate. But then once, when I finally decided to go to the alley, and pet the impling, then back to the bar and return agan to the alley to pet the impling again, somehow it then let me pick up the crowbar? I haven't been able to repeat this since, though..
Hey, thanks for playing, I'm glad you liked it.

The problem you describe was a bug in the original compo version that was caused by creating the room objects in an init block rather than after start. I thought I fixed it, but I may have reintroduced it some other way when I was tidying the code up in 1.1.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#7 Post by Donmai »

Thank you, saguaro!
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#8 Post by sasquatchii »

I had a blast playing this game! I did get a weird glitch the first time I played (or maybe it was me doin it wrong?)
I went to the alley, pet the monster, didn't realize it dropped something for me to find, then went around and played the game more, and failed. I loaded my save and figured out what I needed to do to get the good ending, but for some reason, when I went to the park, I wasn't able to use the bash option. So I just started a completely new game & it worked!
Otherwise, super cool game. I loved the art & the story was very fun.*runs off to play every game on your website* :D
ImageImage

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by saguaro »

Donmai wrote:Thank you, saguaro!
You're welcome!
sasquatchii wrote:I had a blast playing this game! I did get a weird glitch the first time I played (or maybe it was me doin it wrong?)
I went to the alley, pet the monster, didn't realize it dropped something for me to find, then went around and played the game more, and failed. I loaded my save and figured out what I needed to do to get the good ending, but for some reason, when I went to the park, I wasn't able to use the bash option. So I just started a completely new game & it worked!
Otherwise, super cool game. I loved the art & the story was very fun.*runs off to play every game on your website* :D
Thanks for playing! I think people who liked this one will probably enjoy Young Earth Road Trip as well, it's an LD game with a similar style of humor.

And thank you, sasquatchii and ketskari, for that bug report, I think I fixed the problem. I was only able to recreate it once, and I'm still not quite sure how, so if anyone else encounters a problem with downloads after today and could post a report, that would be wonderful.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#10 Post by fioricca »

Ohmygosh that was really fun! I thought the dual screens was really novel and interesting, and the interactive element was a nice touch for a short story. I expected nothing short of awesome and definitely got what I was looking for ^_^ Congrats on the re-release!