Starlight - Now Avalible!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

Re: Starlight - Now Avalible!

#61 Post by rocket »

mrsulu wrote:My handle is MrSulu, so you can imagine I grooved to the Trekness of it all. My wife really liked the music and how it matched the space theme. The art, the sound, the music, the plot---they're all excellent. I felt like this was a great step forward in English Renai games, and sci-fi games in particular. My only gripe is a familiar one---too hard to get the best ending for such a light game. I'm looking forward to episodes ahead, especially how these characters deal with a strong antagonist.
Thanks MrSulu! New fans make motivate me to keep working! (^_^)
As for favorites, despite Rose's glasses and other charms, I've got to go with Jade. She's working hard, so serious, yet cute as a button and wearing a smashing uniform. I think Jade needs a sidearm with fins on it when she goes on the away team.
Ah... hmm. I hadn't thought about firearms mechanical design. My gut feeling is that fins would be too Flash Gordon. Hmm... it just occurred to me that the Phasers from TNG have a bit of the style of a Napoleonic flintlock pistol feel to them...
Victoria needs to go through puberty. No, seriously, the girl should get some hormone treatments before the next episode. I'm worried her thyroid doesn't work right.
Hehe, yes, well that seems to be a common ailment among anime heroines (Sky Girls in recent memory was particularly egreious!). In fact another little project I've got on the back burner makes it a plot point that our heroines are from a nation which was the target of genocidal genetic weaponry during a previous war which rendered a large part of the population physically immature and infertile.
Interesting sociological note on uniforms: I remember seeing in an interview with Majel Barrett (Nurse Chapel from the original Trek series) who said that, in the 60s, miniskirts were a deliberate sign of freedom. Before the 60s, even college cheerleaders wore ankle-length skirts. Wearing minis was revolutionary, part of the whole sexual revolution that was shaking up everything at that time. It was a foregone conclusion that a forward-looking TV show like "Trek" would dress the women in this stylish-yet-functional new way.

Now, 7-of-9, you can argue, is just fanservice. But miniskirts, at least at the time, were THE FUTURE! Thus, given Rocket's clear homage to 60s-era sci fi, the minis were exactly right.
I must have heard that before but never really internalized it. Too funny!

I wonder what I can do to encourage the comeback of the mini-skit as a sign of progressive feminism? (*^^*)

rocket
Veteran

#62 Post by rocket »

Kenshiro wrote:It's my first post on this forum so welcome everyone :D 'Starlight' is also the first Visual Novel I have played and I must say I had a really good time. Girls are sweet (well, maybe not Violet, she reminds me of some of my students :shock:), I love the intro. The game makes me work harder on my own VN as well :D
Thanks and welcome! Try not to let the Violet's get you down! (^_____^)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#63 Post by lordcloudx »

Samu-kun's tarot card inspired me.
edit: y'know, I do believe I've misspelled imminent.
Attachments
starlight2.png
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#64 Post by Samu-kun »

Oh that note, I wonder how Episode 2's coming... :3

rocket
Veteran

#65 Post by rocket »

lordcloudx wrote:Samu-kun's tarot card inspired me.
edit: y'know, I do believe I've misspelled imminent.
(O.o)!

Um... I'm not quite sure how to interpret that! (^_^);;

Still, Jade is super cute! (*^^*) Big hooray for fanart! Thanks!
Last edited by rocket on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocket
Veteran

#66 Post by rocket »

Samu-kun wrote:Oh that note, I wonder how Episode 2's coming... :3
Hehe... it's coming. I was planning on recruiting help right off the bat, but I've decided to focus on writing before I add on the task of trying to coordinate folks. Also the tasks involved will be much more itemized when the script is closer to completion.

Now... this weekend I really should wrap up and release Version 1.1 of Ep0 for faster downloads, text fixes and a shiny new tutorial mode.

P.S. somehow I'd missed this but it's awesome, thanks! :-)

RuthieA

#67 Post by RuthieA »

Hi, I just recently found out about Visual Novels, and looking at this one, it looks really cool (especially because I'm a huge Star Trek fan), but I'm having a bit of a problem getting it to open. I can open the file for the game, but when I click start in the main menu, the game closes and I get this error:
I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

While running game code:
- script at line 83 of renpy-6.3.2/common/00mainmenu.rpy

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\Ruthie\Desktop\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 209, in bootstrap
File "C:\Users\Ruthie\Desktop\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\renpy\main.py", line 293, in main
File "C:\Users\Ruthie\Desktop\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\renpy\main.py", line 88, in run
File "C:\Users\Ruthie\Desktop\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\renpy\execution.py", line 196, in run
File "C:\Users\Ruthie\Desktop\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\Starlight_Ep0_1.01\renpy\script.py", line 432, in lookup
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.3.2b
Is there anything I can do about this? I was looking forward to playing.

rocket
Veteran

#68 Post by rocket »

Sorry Ruthie, I'm not sure! Maybe someone who's distributed more Ren'Py than me knows? (OxO)

Jake
Support Hero

#69 Post by Jake »

One thing to check - are you using Windows' default zip support to open the zip archive?

I notice you're using the 1.01 distribution of Starlight, presumably which you downloaded from the first post in this thread; due to a bug (which IIRC PyTom fixed pretty quickly afterward) the Windows zip file for this version has a bad folder in it with no name - Windows chokes when it gets to this folder, and stops copying other parts; I've seen the error you get there before just as a result of this. (It seems to depend at least partly on which item you click on when you click to drag everything out of the archive...)

The solution, if this was your problem, is to empty your game directory, then open the zip up again, go into the 'Starlight_Ep0_1.01' folder inside the zip, select everything, then hold down 'Ctrl' and click on the folder with no name to remove it from the selection. Then drag everything else out into your game directory.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

RuthieA

#70 Post by RuthieA »

Jake wrote:One thing to check - are you using Windows' default zip support to open the zip archive?

I notice you're using the 1.01 distribution of Starlight, presumably which you downloaded from the first post in this thread; due to a bug (which IIRC PyTom fixed pretty quickly afterward) the Windows zip file for this version has a bad folder in it with no name - Windows chokes when it gets to this folder, and stops copying other parts; I've seen the error you get there before just as a result of this. (It seems to depend at least partly on which item you click on when you click to drag everything out of the archive...)

The solution, if this was your problem, is to empty your game directory, then open the zip up again, go into the 'Starlight_Ep0_1.01' folder inside the zip, select everything, then hold down 'Ctrl' and click on the folder with no name to remove it from the selection. Then drag everything else out into your game directory.
It worked! Thanks :).

rocket
Veteran

#71 Post by rocket »

Yay! Thanks Jake!

azaroth

#72 Post by azaroth »

That was fun got all the endings, was so happy that tab enabled the auto skip feature or it would have taken forever to get the best ending.

Also I came really close to the best ending on my first try, got there on the 4.
From Jarrod

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#73 Post by luminarious »

Just played and got the good ending. Quite nicely done.. :D

Although, if I may be allowed to pick on the little things, then the backgrounds lacked antialias at some points. Also, 3d backgrounds and the loosely drawn characters seemed to mismatch a bit, stylistically.. :oops:

rocket
Veteran

#74 Post by rocket »

azaroth wrote:That was fun got all the endings, was so happy that tab enabled the auto skip feature or it would have taken forever to get the best ending.
Great! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank PyTom for the handy UI features, I can take no credit for them!
luminarious wrote:Just played and got the good ending. Quite nicely done.. :D

Although, if I may be allowed to pick on the little things, then the backgrounds lacked antialias at some points. Also, 3d backgrounds and the loosely drawn characters seemed to mismatch a bit, stylistically.. :oops:
Thanks! Yeah, it's a shame I didn't get everything evenly over-sampled for the 3D backgrounds. Since I'm using SL to render for ease of building I don't have the traditional level of control. For Ep1, I do plan on figuring out how to get higher rez renderings out of SL!

ashogo

#75 Post by ashogo »

ugh...I got about 5 minutes into the game, and got an error (mac version)
Let me say though, the presentation is really good so far. I like the writing and the panning shots (not enough people use that). My mac seems to be having tons of problems playing older games so hopefully someone can help me out...Is this related to the version of ren'py I'm using again?
Attachments
traceback.txt
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 154 times