Aloners [GxB] (a post-apocalyptic romance)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sonnet009
Regular
Completed: Rei, Aloners
Projects: Wilder
Organization: sonnet009 games
Tumblr: sonnet009

Re: Aloners [GxB] (a post-apocalyptic romance)

#61 Post by sonnet009 »

I did notice that! I just wrote a couple of quick comments thanking VNs Now and Jay is Games for their reviews. It's so humbling, having people take the time to talk about something I wrote. Same reason I appreciate all of you guys for doing the same. Honestly, it's so touching!

Rei - a supernatural high school romance (COMPLETE)
Aloners - a post-apocalyptic romance (COMPLETE)
Wilder - a forbidden fantasy romance (2017/2018)

Follow me on tumblr at sonnet009 or sonnet009games for updates.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#62 Post by Mad Harlequin »

You deserve it! :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ColaCat
Veteran

#63 Post by ColaCat »

Agreed! This is certainly a VN that has earned it's fame! ^_^

SilverSnow
Regular
Completed: Bus Stop, Before the Tale, White Book Complete Volume, See You, The Raven
Projects: Secrets...
Tumblr: stchematelier
itch: st-chem-atelier
Discord: SHatsuyuki#1452

#64 Post by SilverSnow »

So I played your demo way back and enjoyed it so much I couldn't wait for the complete version :D
Now that I played it until the end I must say it surpassed my expectations! ^^
I didn't expect the story would have such twist and surprises! Really enjoyed story and character wise!(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Can't wait to play more of your works! (๑>ᴗ<๑)

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#65 Post by qirien »

I'm so glad I found your VN - I had actually been toying with writing a similar story ("What if we're the last people alive?" sort of thing), but yours is so good now I don't have to. :-) Oh, and just to tell you how much I enjoyed this, I played your VN instead of Dragon Age: Inquisition. :-D

I loved the choose-your-own-MC options; they all felt like possible things sane, reasonable people could do. And I also appreciate how you get informed consent from the player? if that makes any sense? I hate it when VNs force you down a path with heavier romance than you or your character is ready for.

I played through three times, once as an independent-but-not-rude MC with a chaste romance, once as a crazy violent not-interested-in-romance MC, and last as a vulnerable trusting romantic. The great thing is, it worked all three ways. The pacing was impeccable, with a lot of trust-building moments that really showed the relationship growing.
And even though the "terrible secret" trope is often misused in romantic media, it completely made sense in your game, and was both surprising and well-foreshadowed.

I was hoping for Gamma to redeem himself a bit more, or for him to be rescued, or something... I guess I have a soft spot for scientists. :-)
The landscape reminds me of a place near my house where I've been hiking; you never say exactly where it takes place, but it certainly could have been "filmed" in New Mexico. :-D

Well done!
Finished games:

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#66 Post by plaster »

I named the protagonist Recycling and I feel no shame.

sonnet009
Regular

#67 Post by sonnet009 »

SilverSnow:

Thank you! I'm super relieved that it didn't disappoint. Can't wait to put out more works for you to play! Hehe.

qirien:

Wow. To beat out DA:I is quite the honour! I'm glad that the choices felt natural -- and it was very important to me that the player didn't ever feel like the relationship with Trash was developing too fast, or in a way that felt uncomfortable. Nothing would break the immersion quicker, eh? So I'm glad that you thought that was handled well, too.
As for Gamma... yeah. He's a pretty pathetic figure. He's actually the kind of guy I'd love to write a romance for, because redemption stories really grab me. But... in this instance... Gamma just couldn't get over his cowardice and indecisiveness quick enough. Poor man.
The location in-game is intentionally vague, and I'm not actually sure where the photographs were taken -- I couldn't find that information. But, man, as a Brit who never gets to see anything remotely desert-like, I'm so jealous. There's something so incredibly beautiful about places like that.

plaster:

Well, clearly they're made for each other. ;-)

Aita

#68 Post by Aita »

I wasn't going to download this, I really wasn't. It just didn't seem like my type of thing, especially since it didn't have multiple romance options. But you know what? I actually found I like this better that multiple romance options! It's so much fun getting to flesh out the personality of /your/ character, developing her based on the choices you make, instead of having a generic (or no) personality. Seeing your character grow, and seeing relationships develop /naturally/ without feeling cliché or forced was amazing.
Apparently, according to Trash, I am a sassy little spitfire who enjoys arguments. And a 'ball of murder'. Seems pretty accurate to how I had the MC act!
I loved this and really hope to see more amazing games like this from you in the future!
Also, screw alpha and everything he stood for. I ain't doin' the work of a hundred women. Go stick it in a gun, that's as close to sex as you're ever gonna get bub.

michan
Regular
Projects: The Witch's Tomb (wip), Caraltian Cookoff (wip), Detective Cross (wip)

#69 Post by michan »

@ sonnet009:

Sorry for the very late reply, and Happy, Happy New Year!

I think the red cloud's pretty tame (compared to the long-term effects of a nuclear fallout or an evolving biochemical weapon), but I confess I'm intrigued by it. Or by what triggered it, and the apparent apocalypse (like, is this worldwide, or just a national disaster sort of thing?). Any chance you'd write a continuation that goes into more detail? Aloners 2?

Recc'ed this to my friends who are usually not into VNs, and they loved it. And Trash. In fact, I've yet to find anyone (even guys) who couldn't not help liking him a whole lot.

@ qirien:
I've been playing DA:I for nearly two months now (and am waiting for the major expansion/DLC), but I've done a couple of runs of Aloners in between. Something that's HAPPY to balance out the depressing/sad sad FEELS after romancing
Solas
in DA:I. :lol:
Coming SoonSometime Next Year! ^^
Detective Cross & the Raven Hall Riddles (DEMO OUT!)
Image Image

sonnet009
Regular

#70 Post by sonnet009 »

Aita:

Thanks! That was definitely the idea behind Aloners -- just one guy you get to know really, really well. And your own personality.
And, indeed. Screw Alpha!
michan:

Heeey, Happy New Year!

For sure, the red cloud is its own thing. I wanted to work with something "new" so that I didn't have to conform too strictly to any rules. Plus actual nuclear fallout is so... awful. I honestly didn't think I could write a positive story in that setting. So the cloud is... my compromise. It does have logic and backstory behind it though, which would probably be explored in more detail if a sequel was to be written. But my next project is NOT set in the Aloners universe, so that's purely hypothetical at this point in time.

Thank you for recc'ing me! And I'm so, so glad that your friends approved. Of the game and Trash! ;)

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#71 Post by Shaples »

I finally found the time to sit down and play this tonight, and WOW am I kicking myself for waiting so long. What an incredible game - beautifully written, lovely art, and so so so well crafted. I played it all the way through in a single sitting, and am fighting the urge to go back and start another playthrough because I should probably be asleep right now. Loved Trash, loved the way I got to build my character and watch her grow and evolve, loved every tense moment of it.
The morning after they get lost in the red cloud, when Trash suddenly got unusually quiet and unable to finish his sentences, I stopped, stood up, walked away from my computer, found my boyfriend, and said "This game is about to f*ck me up, I need a hug." I was 100% sure I'd messed something up and turned Trash into a mutie. Really really glad that didn't wind up happening, but OH MY GOD SO MANY EMOTIONS.
Thank you for this game! I'm going to go check out Rei first thing tomorrow, and am already looking forward to your next project, whatever it ends up being!

sonnet009
Regular

#72 Post by sonnet009 »

Shaples:

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it so much! :D
And OMG it never occurred to me that Trash's weird behaviour could be interpreted that way! Completely unintentional. But it makes so much sense! Ugh, if I'd realised at the time, I would've made it an option for MC to worry about that. *shakes head at self*
Thank you for this lovely feedback. I hope my next game impresses!

Shaples
Regular

#73 Post by Shaples »

Haha, that's super interesting! I was SO WORRIED AND FREAKED OUT that I didn't even need a dialogue option.
I'm sure your next game will be brilliant, too! (I just finished playing Rei, and am blown away that you put it together as fast as you did - super lovely little game). Are you currently working on anything I can stalk follow? I've already pushed Aloners on all the people I know who play VNs (and one I'm trying to convince to start), and a friend and I had a blast comparing how our MCs turned out.
Mine gradually toughened up as she got used to the new world, hers was a raging psychopath from the start.
Anyway, thank you again for this fantastic game. I really, really enjoyed it.

sonnet009
Regular

#74 Post by sonnet009 »

Aw, thank you for playing Rei. And for talking about Aloners with your friends! That's awesome. :D

I am currently working on a new game, but it's not ready to be revealed quite yet, so there's nothing for you to look at right now. However, if you have a tumblr, you can follow me at either sonnet009.tumblr (game dev and personal stuff) or sonnet009games.tumblr (just the game dev stuff) and that'll be where I first announce anything.

Shaples
Regular

#75 Post by Shaples »

*clicks follow, clicks follow, lurks* :D