Coming Out On Top [Gay Male Dating Sim/B+B/VN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sf2000

Re: Coming Out On Top [Gay Male Dating Sim/B+B/VN]

#16 Post by sf2000 »

Congratulations on finishing this project. Now that it's finally out, and you can look back (while you are not doing the rewards), would you do it again? And if you did, is there anything that went completely wrong in the process, so that you would try not to repeat it?

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#17 Post by Obscura »

@sf2000

Thank you, and yes, I would do it again! I know I'm sort of unusual in how I got in the VN scene and also because I've also gone against every recommended suggestion with regards to Kickstarting a first project. But I'm not exactly a kid,and I've been around the block, so to speak. :) Crowdfunding is a lot of work, but in retrospect it got the game much more publicity than it otherwise could have gotten. Kickstarter attention isn't the same as it used to be, so if I were to do it NOW, I'd reconsider, but if I were launched back in a time machine? Oh yes. In a heartbeat.

Things I would NOT do: make another romance-type game with more than 4 love interests. Even 4 is pushing it, given how many choices I like to put into a VN. Trying to create 5 unique, entertaining stories that could all stand on their own just about killed me. COOT took about 2.5 years from conception to end. 3 months from conception to prototype, 3 months from prototype to Kickstarter demo, 2 years from demo to full game. I could easily imagine myself still working on it, if it hadn't been for my promise to get it out before 2015. (Note that I worked part-time throughout Year One. Around April of Year Two I took a leave of absence to finish the game.)

I'm sure there are faster writers who can handle 5 love interests just fine. I'm not one of those writers.

@trooper6

That's a really cool suggestion with regards to Mark/Jed's storyline. I'm not entirely sure how I could incorporate such a thing at this point, but I'll be looking forward to your works in the future, to see how you approach it. :) And thanks for the notes about Phil. I had no idea about the beard thing. (My military research was limited to the USMC and I know I've already stretched a few things with regards to his free time at infantry school, hahaha.)

I also do want to thank you again about your other feedback. I don't have an "Honest Critique" button because I've always welcomed criticism and feel it's a little redundant for me to have a button, but I want to say your breakdown of COOT is EXTREMELY cool in the sense it looks at the game for what it is--a visual novel--and comments precisely on those things that make a VN tick. So while I appreciate all feedback, it's really wonderful to get feedback that also addresses the VN aspects of the game. SO THANK YOU!

@ asterazul
Thank you, and I'm looking forward to Queen at Arms!

@ Rainbowcascade
Holy cripes you remember the earliest days of COOT. :) Thanks, I enjoyed reading your feedback for the different paths. It's amazing how differently people respond to them. I'm glad you liked Phil! I won't say he's my favorite but he kind of is.

BMT sells adult content games but customers won't be able to use Paypal or Amazon to purchase those games.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#18 Post by trooper6 »

Thanks for the kind words! I just realized why I am hesitant to give critique on these boards unless there is an honest critique button present.

This board does many things, but one thing it does is serve as a place for publicity for micro-mini-indie-developers. If you are a developer for whom this might be the only place you are relying on to get people to play your game...you may not welcome a critique that is negative. You could see it as a threat to your livelihood. If I ran my own review blog/site, I would say whatever I wanted...but here it doesn't feel right with being given permission considering how much could be at stake.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#19 Post by KashyaCharsi »

4 possible love interests is the usual in my gamer experience: one who has been pining for you all along, one who you are pining for, a jerk to tame and a meek, insecure one.

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#20 Post by Rosstin »

I can't believe I missed the Kickstarter for this! I would have been crazy to back this project! I can't wait to play it.

Oh, I just realized you Kickstarted this almost two years ago, which explains why it wasn't on my radar.

Obscura, are you coming to GDC?

Karen

#21 Post by Karen »

I wish Beau was obtainable :cry:
but still good game i enjoy it!
Relaxing Visual Novel Creator

cclark603
Projects: Pale Waves

#22 Post by cclark603 »

Can I just say I absolutely LOVE this game? I discovered it by accident and I seriously loved the storyline. Someone who wasn't into Visual Novels is now addicted, thank you to this one! <3 You guys are awesome!

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#23 Post by trooper6 »

So I was just rumbling about YouTube and came across a video discussing the best sex scenes n video games...they discussed big titles like Saints Row 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition...guess which one was #1?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwFfyy66CAc
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#24 Post by Obscura »

Oh man, sorry I've been so lax in this thread! I've been trying to finish up all the add-ons for COOT this year. I kept telling myself I'd update this thread once the add-on was ready. O_O

@trooper6
Thanks! I linked to it on my site. I was a bit shocked this tiny game was mentioned, but I'm glad the reviewer enjoyed it!

@cclark603
And you're awesome for playing and leaving feedback. Thank you so much! <3

@Karen
A lot of players want to make Beau their beau. You're not alone. :)

@Rosstin
Lol, I think I might have spoken to you on my twitter already back in February, but I'm holding off on going to conferences until the add-ons are done, for lack of time and also hopefully as a reward to myself when I'm done.

@Kashya
I don't know if I ever created any of the love interests so strategically. I just wanted to make sure they each had a distinct personality. XD

Aaaand an update:
Amos, the bonus character is now in the game. MORE INFO HERE.
Attachments
amos_COOT_portrait_small.jpg
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#25 Post by KashyaCharsi »

Pining friend: Ian
His unattainable dreamguy: Alex
Jerk: Philbert, or Jed from the slutty variety
Insecure: Brad