The Walk [Psych][NaNoWinter 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: The Walk [Psychological][NaNoWinter 2015]

#46 Post by YossarianIII »

I really enjoyed this.

The initial post was intriguing, so I downloaded it before reading much about it and went in without really knowing what to expect.

When prompted to enter a name for a game, I usually just pick something on a whim that will sound funny when other characters say it. In this case, that name was "Ghostface Killah."

But as soon as I picked that name, I knew what I had to do: take this test as if the real Ghostface Killah were taking it.

Mild spoilers:
Some of the questions were easy: Obviously, Ghostface Killah lives in the city, owns a handgun, and meets a dragon that wants to fight.

But some of the other questions were less obvious. I mean, really, what type of body of water would Ghostface Killah choose? (For the record, I picked a bottomless, raging ocean.)

And you know what? That dream analysis at the end was almost spot on for what I would've guessed Ghostface Killah's psychology to be. You (or maybe Carl Jung?) did a good job on that one.
One minor thing: it seems weird to me that you can scroll through the text on the About page, since the text all fits on the screen and scrolling just shifts it around a little bit. But otherwise, everything looks great.

It's always nice to see some more experimental stuff on these boards. Cool game/test/VN/whatever-it-is!

Image Image

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#47 Post by OokamiKasumi »

YossarianIII wrote:I really enjoyed this.
Yay! I'm so glad.
YossarianIII wrote:The initial post was intriguing, so I downloaded it before reading much about it and went in without really knowing what to expect. When prompted to enter a name for a game, I usually just pick something on a whim that will sound funny when other characters say it. In this case, that name was "Ghostface Killah." But as soon as I picked that name, I knew what I had to do: take this test as if the real Ghostface Killah were taking it.
That was a brilliant idea!
-- You know, I hadn't thought about applying it to Characters, but it might actually be useful in fleshing out the mind and thoughts of a character I want to use, but don't quite grasp.
YossarianIII wrote:Some of the questions were easy ... But some of the other questions were less obvious. ... And you know what? That dream analysis at the end was almost spot on for what I would've guessed Ghostface Killah's psychology to be. You (or maybe Carl Jung?) did a good job on that one.
How excellent!
-- Thank Dr. Carl Jung. He's the one that came up with all the interpretations.
YossarianIII wrote:One minor thing: it seems weird to me that you can scroll through the text on the About page, since the text all fits on the screen and scrolling just shifts it around a little bit.
LOL! That's because I copy/pasted the code whole from my template game.
-- Once I figure out how to make a section of code work exactly the way I want it to, I save it in a template game. This way I can simply copy/paste that code into any game I want to create. It's one of the reasons why I can produce my games so quickly.
YossarianIII wrote:But otherwise, everything looks great.
Thank you!
YossarianIII wrote:It's always nice to see some more experimental stuff on these boards. Cool game/test/VN/whatever-it-is!
LOL! I'm so glad you enjoyed playing it.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

iusername

#48 Post by iusername »

I played the game without introduction not knowing what to expect.
and actually i am glad that i didn't expect anything.
it made everything more interesting.
I love the music that comes with it. very smoothing.
I love the analysis of the whole thing. Especially the wall one.
Anyway, I will go back and try to play around with it from "others'" perspectives.
I enjoyed it very much.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#49 Post by OokamiKasumi »

iusername wrote:I played the game without introduction not knowing what to expect.
and actually i am glad that i didn't expect anything.
it made everything more interesting.
I love the music that comes with it. very smoothing.
I love the analysis of the whole thing. Especially the wall one.
Anyway, I will go back and try to play around with it from "others'" perspectives.
I enjoyed it very much.
I'm thrilled you enjoyed the experience!
-- The two pieces of music used in the game are personal favorites of mine. I'm glad you liked them.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Ernestalice15
Regular
Projects: One Last Crane, Demoness, The Golden Catalyst
Organization: Animon Works
IRC Nick: Nomina
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15

#50 Post by Ernestalice15 »

Okay, so I don't know if you still remember or not, but I've actually made the review (and actually quite a long time ago) but my blog is not really ready to be seen by outsiders for the time being. I just want to let you know that I've written it all, and I hope you like it.

http://ernestalice15.tumblr.com/tagged/visual%20novel

I'll work for more contents in my blog, also promote it to people when I'm ready. I just need some time in these busy days, you know. :D

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#51 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Ernestalice15 wrote:Okay, so I don't know if you still remember or not, but I've actually made the review . . . and I hope you like it.

http://ernestalice15.tumblr.com/tagged/visual%20novel
I'm honored that you took the time to review my little game, and I did indeed enjoy reading it!
-- I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the way I did the graphics; the backgrounds and animations, and that you liked the music. I was trying to induce a meditative state through calming music and mildly suggestive images that wouldn't jar the player from their dream-state while playing. It seems that I may have succeeded!

As for the end analysis...
...about the result, I think it’s interesting to read them, but at the same time, it’s explained too straight to my face, on the contrary with the first Q&A part. It’s really interesting to know all those things, but I felt like reading a Wikipedia or a documentary. I think, the developer didn’t have to explain about the meaning of all this test, but just explain about what players have chosen. Just like when you see a psychiatrist, s/he will try to lead you to find yourself, but without explaining in detail about why s/he asks you those things.
Truthfully, I wasn't sure how to present the analysis and just went with cold facts. Also, my test-payers encouraged me to detail everything out. The original analysis wasn't nearly so detailed. I will definitely take your advice to use a more...narrative style the next time I design a game of this type.

Thank you again for your review, it was quite enlightening!

MGR_59

Re: The Walk [Psych][NaNoWinter 2015]

#52 Post by MGR_59 »

I made an account to say thanks for The Walk.
I found it highly captivating. Games/novels with supernatural, other-worldly content are particularly interesting to me. The generated story near the end was a nice touch too, it was unexpected in a good way. My jaw dropped for real at one point, so congratulations on that.

The music was spot on. It provided the exact right mixture of "beautiful + eerie".
Having finished The Walk I found myself thinking "I really wanted to go further ... ".

The Walk, at least to me, was a good starting point for a journey further into the mind itself - into worlds where adventures and experiences are truly limitless. I know that this is all a text-based Python script and I also know that the story at the end is auto-generated based on the previous choices ... all that ... but it worked very well imho.
Makes me want to create my own Renpy world. I don't have the skills to do it yet, but ... very small steps, one at a time, plan the script in advance, not try to run before one can walk etc. Then see what happens ... :-)

Big thanks for this one, I thought it was great. / MR

Ladyalexia
Deviantart: Ladyalexialasthope

#53 Post by Ladyalexia »

Love this game. It was. Also it pinpoint at most things.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Ladyalexia wrote:Love this game. It was. Also it pinpoint at most things.
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Seni
Tumblr: senidoll
Deviantart: SeniDoll

#55 Post by Seni »

This game was gorgeous. Thanks to you, I've got to know my thoughts and my mind better.

I thought it would be a few obvious answer questions or "choose from the underneath symbols", so it made quite an impression on me when
in the beginning the background and the leaves changed, and birds started chirping because of my choices.
By then, I stopped thinking of what the "good" answer would be - I just imagined what you've asked me to and wrote/chose honestly. I liked that it was longer than I thought it would be.

The analysis was absolutely mind-blowing. I can't find the appropriate words to describe what I felt when I read the meaning of my choices. It was like you knew me better than I knew myself. And that is a little bit sad. :'D

Thank you very much for creating this game. <3 I've had a good time playing it. ^^

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#56 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Seni wrote:This game was gorgeous. Thanks to you, I've got to know my thoughts and my mind better.
I'm thrilled you enjoyed the game!
Seni wrote:I thought it would be a few obvious answer questions or "choose from the underneath symbols", so it made quite an impression on me when
in the beginning the background and the leaves changed, and birds started chirping because of my choices.
By then, I stopped thinking of what the "good" answer would be - I just imagined what you've asked me to and wrote/chose honestly.
Surprise!
-- I wanted to induce a mildly meditative state so it would be easier to use your imagination. I'm really glad it worked.
Seni wrote:I liked that it was longer than I thought it would be.
Honestly? It turned out way longer than I thought it was going to be too! LOL!
Seni wrote:The analysis was absolutely mind-blowing. I can't find the appropriate words to describe what I felt when I read the meaning of my choices. It was like you knew me better than I knew myself. And that is a little bit sad. :'D
Just keep in mind that no one actually knows what you wrote or chose, but You. Your secrets are still your own. Also, the answers I supplied came from a dreamer's dictionary and Jungian archetypes. I wanted to make it as accurate as I could, but that doesn't change the fact that I am NOT a professional. 'Kay?
Seni wrote:Thank you very much for creating this game. <3 I've had a good time playing it. ^^
You're very welcome. I enjoyed making it!

tilly
Completed: fairly dangerous

#57 Post by tilly »

I had a ton of fun with this game, great job!! I've come across these Jungian type analysis things-- in one of my lectures, our professor took us through something like this. This was a lot more in depth, though! Great job. My result was shockingly accurate! And whoever said that it was kind of meditative was totally right. I felt very peaceful while I played!
NaNoRenO 2015: Fairly Dangerous

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#58 Post by OokamiKasumi »

tilly wrote:I had a ton of fun with this game, great job!!
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
tilly wrote:I've come across these Jungian type analysis things-- in one of my lectures, our professor took us through something like this. This was a lot more in depth, though! Great job.
Thank you. I first ran across the test while I was in high school. (A long, long time ago; back before the internet was invented.) However, that test was also far simpler. I freely admit to combining a bunch of similar tests to make "The Walk."
tilly wrote:My result was shockingly accurate! And whoever said that it was kind of meditative was totally right. I felt very peaceful while I played!
I'm glad it proved accurate! Hopefully, it was also helpful.
-- I wanted to induce a mildly meditative state so it would be easier to let loose the imagination. Especially since the player's imagination is key to the entire experience.

I'm absolutely thrilled you had a good experience.

GreyWolfXx
Regular
IRC Nick: Grey

#59 Post by GreyWolfXx »

The wall was impenetrable and giant -- full of cement. It was taller than a house. I couldn't see a thing over it, and while I had trouble imagining other things, this wall was very distinct for me! It couldn't be anything else. I guess I REALLY don't want to die.
I loved the game! Good work ^_^

"We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom,
but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where
all the contradictions flow together." -- Terrence Mckenna

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#60 Post by OokamiKasumi »

GreyWolfXx wrote:
The wall was impenetrable and giant -- full of cement. It was taller than a house. I couldn't see a thing over it, and while I had trouble imagining other things, this wall was very distinct for me! It couldn't be anything else. I guess I REALLY don't want to die.
I loved the game! Good work ^_^
I'm really glad you enjoyed the game! Thank you. :)