The Walk [Psych][NaNoWinter 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: The Walk [Psych][NaNoWinter 2015]

#61 Post by qirien »

I really enjoyed the "writing exercise", and though I was somewhat spoiled by having done a similar psychoanalysis writing exercise before, I tried to just ignore all that and write whatever first popped into my head... the relaxing music and subtle visuals definitely helped me do that.

It was kind of funny, because
You said what's in the box represents memories, and I had described a bunch of photo albums and backup hard drives... so that was surprisingly accurate!
And it's always good to do some self-reflection, too. :-)

I did find one error - I picked a box made of bronze or copper and it didn't get stored in the variable at all, it just says "A box made of ."

Thanks for the fun exercise!
Finished games:

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#62 Post by OokamiKasumi »

qirien wrote:I really enjoyed the "writing exercise", and though I was somewhat spoiled by having done a similar psychoanalysis writing exercise before, I tried to just ignore all that and write whatever first popped into my head... the relaxing music and subtle visuals definitely helped me do that.

It was kind of funny, because...
You said what's in the box represents memories, and I had described a bunch of photo albums and backup hard drives, so that was surprisingly accurate!
And it's always good to do some self-reflection, too. :-)
I've always enjoyed psychoanalytical games, but I must confess that I wanted to try the 'snow/blossom" effect and make a minimalistic game with as few images as possible. The coding was the hardest part, especially the 'notebook' effect which recorded what you wrote. I wanted to let the player compare their experiences to other runs through the game.
qirien wrote:I did find one error - I picked a box made of bronze or copper and it didn't get stored in the variable at all, it just says "A box made of ."
Excellent catch, I will fix that at once.
qirien wrote:Thanks for the fun exercise!
I'm really glad you enjoyed it!
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

ArmaKun

#63 Post by ArmaKun »

All the background images are missing in version 1.5
Is it only a problem of mine?
Because redownloading doesn't work, I can't fix it myself.
I would be happy if someone could help. :)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#64 Post by OokamiKasumi »

ArmaKun wrote:All the background images are missing in version 1.5
Is it only a problem of mine?
Because redownloading doesn't work, I can't fix it myself.
I would be happy if someone could help. :)
My apologies.
-- I forgot to test the zipped game before releasing it, so it's entirely my own fault.

The problem was that I'd updated Renpy before zipping and uploading the newest version and it appears that the code I was using to automatically covert the background image files no longer works.

Code: Select all

init python hide:
    for file in renpy.list_files():
        if file.startswith('bg/') :
            if file.endswith('.png'):
                name = file.replace('bg/','').replace('/', ' ').replace('.png','')
                renpy.image(name, Image(file, yanchor=768))
                continue

if file.endswith('.jpg'):
                name = file.replace('bg/','').replace('/', ' ').replace('.jpg','')
                renpy.image(name, Image(file, yanchor=768))
                continue
            continue
I had to do an image file list (the old fashioned way) to get it to work properly.

I am currently uploading a one that does work. The fixed version is now available from MediaFire too.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

ArmaKun

#65 Post by ArmaKun »

Thank you very much, I'm already downloading it. ^^

ArmaKun

#66 Post by ArmaKun »

The game was amazing and I really enjoyed it, the pictures work just fine now.
But the credit images are still missing.
Thank you for the nice experience. ^^

Genesis
Regular
Completed: Intrepid
Deviantart: Genn-esis

#67 Post by Genesis »

I really love things that have to do psychology so when I first saw this game, I knew I had to give it a play.
There is information I thought would be interesting to share. Oddly, most of the results I got is the polar opposite of my personality (although there are some parts that did hit the right spots). That is what I found interesting—actually—because the scene I was picturing throughout the game consisted of another girl instead of myself. Therefore, I got a piece of results that correlated with the personality of my role model rather than myself.
All in all, this is a really fun game; I will probably go back to it for a few more times just to experiment with the choices. :D

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#68 Post by OokamiKasumi »

ArmaKun wrote:Feedback:
The game was amazing and I really enjoyed it, the pictures work just fine now.
But the credit images are still missing.
Thank you for the nice experience. ^^
UPDATED...again. Sorry about that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Genesis wrote:I really love things that have to do psychology so when I first saw this game, I knew I had to give it a play.
There is information I thought would be interesting to share. Oddly, most of the results I got [was] the polar opposite of my personality (although there are some parts that did hit the right spots). ...because the scene I was picturing throughout the game consisted of another girl instead of myself. Therefore, I got a piece of results that correlated with the personality of my role model rather than myself.
All in all, this is a really fun game; I will probably go back to it for a few more times just to experiment with the choices. :D
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
-- Experiment away! For example, try doing it from the point of view of a Fictional Character. You might be surprised at what you find. At the very least, the results should prove entertaining.

shwippie
Regular
Completed: Double Romance
Projects: Rolland's Candy Shop. Mitzi's Fable
Tumblr: shwippie
Deviantart: shwippie

#69 Post by shwippie »

This is such a neat concept :D When I opened it, I wasn't planning to play it right away, but I got hooked as soon as I started and had to finish it! I loved the atmosphere. The images suggested a scene without being too descriptive, so that the player could still fill in things with their imagination. The choices I made were based on what I thought was aesthetically pleasing in my mind's eye rather than how I was feeling, but the results were still pretty accurate!
Image Image Image

trish_vc
Regular
Projects: SC; Lost Memories (on hold)
Deviantart: ash-chiori

#70 Post by trish_vc »

must play... :D
http://www.facebook.com/aeisha.valenzuelacorporal
Image I'm an Unappreciated- ARTIST, WRITER, EDITOR, DEBATER.. You can ask me to Proofread, Draw, and whatever.*

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#71 Post by AsHLeX »

Just finished this and I liked it. The atmosphere that you made in the game made it nice to relax and just write what was on my mind.
I really liked it so... good job? :D
New demo out 24/12/23!!

trish_vc
Regular
Projects: SC; Lost Memories (on hold)
Deviantart: ash-chiori

#72 Post by trish_vc »

Oh men. Just in time with our Psychoanalysis lecture. I'll play this game <3
http://www.facebook.com/aeisha.valenzuelacorporal
Image I'm an Unappreciated- ARTIST, WRITER, EDITOR, DEBATER.. You can ask me to Proofread, Draw, and whatever.*

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#73 Post by OokamiKasumi »

shwippie wrote:This is such a neat concept :D When I opened it, I wasn't planning to play it right away, but I got hooked as soon as I started and had to finish it!
I'm really glad you enjoyed the game!
-- I was aware that the game was mildly hypnotic; with the intent to relax the player and encourage the imagination to express itself, but I had no idea that it was mildly addictive too. How interesting!
shwippie wrote:I loved the atmosphere. The images suggested a scene without being too descriptive, so that the player could still fill in things with their imagination.
Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping for.
-- How to illustrate the game was actually one of my biggest issues. I wanted to support the imagination, not direct it. Specific images might skew the player's thoughts and emotions in a direction the player wasn't actually going in.
shwippie wrote:The choices I made were based on what I thought was aesthetically pleasing in my mind's eye rather than how I was feeling, but the results were still pretty accurate!
That's exactly what you were supposed to do; follow your personal aesthetic, especially an artist like yourself. Believe it or not, aesthetics are intimately connected to one's emotions -- and vice versa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AsHLeX wrote:Just finished this and I liked it. The atmosphere that you made in the game made it nice to relax and just write what was on my mind.
I really liked it so... good job? :D
Excellent!
-- I was trying to create an atmosphere that would make it easy to write without putting the player to sleep or make them feel rushed to write things down.

I'm glad you liked it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
trish_vc wrote:Oh men. Just in time with our Psychoanalysis lecture. I'll play this game <3
I hope the game proves useful!

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#74 Post by wyverngem »

Wow, I'm surprised I missed this game. It was really, really good. Kind of hit the nail on the head for me since I've never taken any psych test like this. Who is the musician for the game? I almost think I've heard them before.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#75 Post by OokamiKasumi »

wyverngem wrote:Wow, I'm surprised I missed this game. It was really, really good. Kind of hit the nail on the head for me since I've never taken any psych test like this. Who is the musician for the game? I almost think I've heard them before.
I'm glad you enjoyed my little psych game.
-- Both pieces of music are by GreenDjohn; 123 Piano from the album Days and Nights, and Last Breath from the album Loophole. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you've heard them before, since I'm pretty sure 123 Piano was used in a car commercial. BMW, I think.