Tying Threads

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ignosco
Veteran

Re: Tying Threads

#16 Post by Ignosco »

What I found most impressive about Tying Threads, was the overall 'interface' of the game - the menu and text layout, the switches from greyscale to colour and back, the use of a blank face for Cheryl initially, and the choices of music all helped create a very unique atmosphere for the game (and I guess in a very different way, it reminded me of 'A Midsummer Day's Resonance).

The main (and only significant) downside of the game for me was Ending 2. Whilst it was a powerful and moving, his sudden callousness felt a bit abrupt, especially as the choice between Endings 2 and 3 depends directly, though not exclusively on her offer for help with the mittens. In Ending 3 I was almost expecting (and hoping for :P) a love declaration in there as well, (although I realise now that would have been a bit out of character for both Allen and Cheryl), but the bittersweet friendship parting definitely works better given the overall themes of Tying Threads.

Overall, Tying Threads was definitely enjoyable (although mainly in a cathartic way).
Congratulations :D

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

What a nice surprise, and congrats on your release for 2008!

The premise really interests me, so I'll have to set aside a nice quiet evening to enjoy it. Moving away to a new place is especially hard, and even more so if you do it every three years and to a new country everytime:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Culture_Kids

That, or the anime Popotan explains the phenomenon clearly (I'm not kidding).

Mikan
Veteran

#18 Post by Mikan »

oO;; no good end?

Ivlivs
Veteran

#19 Post by Ivlivs »

I only played through once and got the second ending, but I must say, this is written quite well.
About the second ending: I like how you showed the feelings of a "tragic hero."
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

Ivlivs
Veteran

#20 Post by Ivlivs »

I then got the 1st ending. After that, I got the good ending.

Once again, this is a very nicely written work. Very thoughtful, the way Ori, Ochi, Onoe was.
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by monele »

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Exception: Could not find font: ('subfont', 18, False, False, False)

While running game code:
 - script at line 84 of renpy-6.5.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy
 - python at line 84 of renpy-6.5.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy.
 - script at line 620 of renpy-6.5.0/common/00preferences.rpy
 - python at line 620 of renpy-6.5.0/common/00preferences.rpy.
 - python at line 112 of renpy-6.5.0/common/00preferences.rpy.
 - python at line 208 of renpy-6.5.0/common/00gamemenu.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 210, in bootstrap
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\main.py", line 300, in main
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\execution.py", line 194, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\ast.py", line 534, in execute
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\python.py", line 863, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.5.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy", line 84, in <module>
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\game.py", line 270, in call_in_new_context
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\execution.py", line 194, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\ast.py", line 534, in execute
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\python.py", line 863, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy-6.5.0/common/00preferences.rpy", line 620, in <module>
  File "renpy-6.5.0/common/00preferences.rpy", line 112, in _prefs_screen_run
  File "renpy-6.5.0/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 208, in _game_interact
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\ui.py", line 58, in interact
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\core.py", line 1238, in interact
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\core.py", line 1491, in interact_core
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\core.py", line 916, in show
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\render.py", line 206, in render_screen
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\render.py", line 124, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\layout.py", line 427, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\layout.py", line 645, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\layout.py", line 528, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\layout.py", line 528, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 330, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\text.py", line 1438, in render
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\text.py", line 1037, in layout
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\text.py", line 335, in update
  File "D:\Jeux\TyingThreads_v0.9\renpy\display\text.py", line 268, in get_font
Exception: Could not find font: ('subfont', 18, False, False, False)

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.5.0e
When going for the joystick configuration screen.

Other than this...
Cool VN! :D. Very well done. I... don't even know what to say about it XD... I usually find lots of little separate details that appealed to me but here it's more about the whole. It gave the right feelings and made me feel both sad and happy... hopeful even.
Oh, of course, there's one thing I can say : best use of transitions evah! :). And add particles to this. I keep thinking of these as ways to make things go boom! and fwoosh! but you used them in such subtle and meaningful ways... You definitely made the most out of these little things.

For info, I got ending 1, then 2 and then 3. It was a *bit* disappointing to get #2 because it got me really into the mood and then gave me the game over... and ending 3 ended up feeling shorter because of it (I skipped through everything I had seen... mood killer ^^;...). It's a problem totally inherent to VNs that, I think, has never really been adressed.

On a technical point of view, I'll note the splash sequence... nothing big but very slick and clean... pro-looking :). The menu appearing is also a cool bonus (and I'm already trying to imagine how it was done XD).
The transitions are nice and, of course, well used.
The particles were nice but it did make my computer crawl when it was coupled with dissolves or the grayscale transition. It made me think of ways to optimize this, using multiple layers (I'm not sure it'd work though).

Oh, and I forgot to say that the choices were pretty meaningful (which is pretty important since they were not numerous). I found myself thinking it was random choosing at first... but then thought about the metaphor and realized it was not :).
All in all a very neat VN ^.^. Another one to add to the list of VNs that mattered to me :)

#22 Post by Guest »

I'm new to this forum, your game was the first one that I downloaded simply because it was at the top of the forum when I visited and because the name intrigued me. I have played many other ren'ai, dating sims, vissual novels, both professional and fan created.

Your game was the first fan created game I played that caused me to cry.

I played through to get all 3 endings.

The artwork is very nice, the music is awesome, and the story is very powerful.

I registered an account on the forums just to let you know that the story of your game touched me deeply. It should be an example to aspiring game creators everywhere.

xenokitten

#23 Post by xenokitten »

Guest would be me :) apparently activating your account doesnt automatically log you in like I thought it would.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

North Hawk wrote:...it really makes me wonder if you've gone through the same thing, how perfectly you can write it.
I did pull from a few personal experiences when righting this game. Put simply, Allen is an exaggeration of all the loneliness and depression that I felt growing up. There were times in my life where I felt or thought a little like Allen. Even now, I'm not very social. But I've always had a cheerful temperament (my grandfather nicknamed me "Smiley" cause I always had this gigantic smile on my face), and that's probably the biggest difference between Allen and myself.
Ignosco wrote:
The main (and only significant) downside of the game for me was Ending 2. Whilst it was a powerful and moving, his sudden callousness felt a bit abrupt, especially as the choice between Endings 2 and 3 depends directly, though not exclusively on her offer for help with the mittens.
Sounds like you would've appreciated the "Ending 3 of 4" that was cut from the final game, because I just couldn't find a way to make it work. It was a bad ending as well, but Allen wasn't so callous. It explained more exactly why Allen was reverting back to his former self.
Ignosco wrote:
In Ending 3 I was almost expecting (and hoping for :P) a love declaration in there as well, (although I realise now that would have been a bit out of character for both Allen and Cheryl), but the bittersweet friendship parting definitely works better given the overall themes of Tying Threads.
Yeah, I thought a little about Allen confessing at the end, but it seemed so out of character to him. And Cheryl is sort of innocent of the whole thing- I don't think it would've done anything to draw them closer together
Mikan wrote:
oO;; no good end?
Depends on what you call good. One of the three endings is noticeably better than the other two
Ivlivs wrote:Once again, this is a very nicely written work. Very thoughtful, the way Ori, Ochi, Onoe was.
Thanks. I worried that people wouldn't like my writing. Actually, I thought that one thing making this game had taught me was that I can't write >_< . Maybe I should now revise that to "I can't write quickly". I really don't think there's much comparison with mikey's works though...
monele wrote:

Code: Select all

lots of inane data
>_< Guess I'll be releasing a 0.91 version. Thanks for catching that- looks like the sfont isn't set up properly for the joystick configuration menu. Umm... did you actually want to set up a joystick, or were you just looking for bugs? ^_^;;;
monele wrote:
Oh, of course, there's one thing I can say : best use of transitions evah! :). And add particles to this. I keep thinking of these as ways to make things go boom! and fwoosh! but you used them in such subtle and meaningful ways... You definitely made the most out of these little things.
This coming from the one who released the Utsukushii Planet effects demo? ^^ Wow, I'm flattered. Thanks!
monele wrote:
On a technical point of view, I'll note the splash sequence... nothing big but very slick and clean... pro-looking :). The menu appearing is also a cool bonus (and I'm already trying to imagine how it was done XD).
Thanks- glad someone could appreciate it. Both the logo and the menus are pretty much hacks. If you're interested, I can PM you the strategy I used for the menus.
monele wrote:
The particles were nice but it did make my computer crawl when it was coupled with dissolves or the grayscale transition. It made me think of ways to optimize this, using multiple layers (I'm not sure it'd work though).
I wasn't at all satisfied with the framerates during those transitions at the end... I thought of simplifying the scene, but in the end I just didn't want to cut any corners. If someone could optimize it though for a .91 version I'll be releasing due to an error someone found...
monele wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to say that the choices were pretty meaningful (which is pretty important since they were not numerous). I found myself thinking it was random choosing at first... but then thought about the metaphor and realized it was not :).
I'm glad you liked the choices. They were all very intentional. I was a little concerned that people might not understand the significance of the last choice, especially after the removal of one of the endings. But no one has asked about it, so I assume people get it.
xenokitten wrote:I registered an account on the forums just to let you know that the story of your game touched me deeply. It should be an example to aspiring game creators everywhere.
Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the forums! Hopefully you'll stick around and have a bit of fun. Thanks for your kind words- I'm glad you were able to enjoy my game. There are lots of great games at the archives- I recommend trying some of the other games as well.

So many people relating to Allen's situation was not something I had really anticipated. Also, so many people enjoying my game and being moved by it was unforseen. I feel honored, in a way, that my story was able to touch others as deeply as it has. Honestly, when I posted this game to the forums I was thinking it would probably be the first and last game that I create. With school and everything else going on in my life, game development has been slow. And when I read of other writers making games, it sounds like everything just comes so naturally and everything just flows. But for me, though some parts flowed when I got going, I often had to struggle for my words. So it seemed like I wasn't really cut out for making games. And though I enjoy the game and the meaning it holds for me personally, I'm not sure I would consider the price I paid for the game to be worth the enjoyment I get out of it. But knowing that others are able to enjoy the game and that it can hold meaning for them as well... it tips the scales. And so I'll be reconsidering my position within the game-making realm...

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#25 Post by Vatina »

Finally played your game and really liked it ^^ I don't think there is much can add, since other people already mentioned most of it. At times I could also relate to the main character, and the story was so sad....
Actually I don't mind that people can actually make a bittersweet and sad story like this without one of the characters dying, or maybe having a terminal disease :P
But yeah, just wanted to mention that I really liked it ^^

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Vatina wrote:
Actually I don't mind that people can actually make a bittersweet and sad story like this without one of the characters dying, or maybe having a terminal disease :P
Yeah, I tried to keep everything simple and real. No cheap tricks aimed only at gaining sympathy. Well, there was one thing which I had thought about removing, as it was kinda cheap, and I didn't develop it at all...
Glad you enjoyed it- thanks for playing ^_^

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#27 Post by Vatina »

Oh yeah, also wanted to add that I really liked the crying effect :) It looked very good

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Vatina wrote:Oh yeah, also wanted to add that I really liked the crying effect :) It looked very good
Thanks- I spent a bit of time on that affect, as I felt it was very important. Given Ren'Py's framework though, it was actually quite easy. And drawing the tears wasn't all that hard- as they are mostly just blobs (I'm good at drawing blobs ^_^ ). I did get some inspiration from one of the episodes of Air though, where Misuzu cries. I remember those tears looking so... dramatic and emotional.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by monele »

did you actually want to set up a joystick, or were you just looking for bugs? ^_^;;;
I wanted to :). I like to sit back in my chair with the gamepad ^^. Using the mouse has me leaning forward on my desk which ends up being painful.
This coming from the one who released the Utsukushii Planet effects demo? ^^ Wow, I'm flattered. Thanks!
It's really a different usage you made of them. A meaningful one ^.^
If you're interested, I can PM you the strategy I used for the menus.
No need for it right now but I'll be sure to ask you when I do :)
If someone could optimize it though for a .91 version I'll be releasing due to an error someone found...
Maaah :P. Well, since it's all open sourcey I'll try to take a look tomorrow and test out my idea ^^. I'll tell you if it works as intended.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by monele »

I tried my idea for the snow but it didn't work... just as slow as before ^^;... I guess it's just the particles + transition combination that kills it.

PyTom : do transitions affect *every* layer? The problem here is that the snow particles are moving but shouldn't be affected by the transitions... The way I see it, it's showing the old animated screen with snow particles and transitioning to a new screen with snow particles... which doubles everything and is obviously slow. My idea was to put the snow on another layer, hoping it would not be affected but uhh... doesn't work ^^;...