Our Personal Space [Sci-fi] [Relationship Sim] [Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Our Personal Space [Sci-fi] [Relationship Sim] [Free]

#1 Post by qirien »

Game Info:
  • Genre: Sci-fi Relationship Sim Visual Novel
  • Release Date: February 14, 2015
  • Rating: PG-13 for implied nudity, adult situations
  • Length: 4-6 hours (100k words total)
  • Endings: 3 (each with two variants)
  • Release Type: Free, open source

DOWNLOAD:
Steam
itch.io
Google Play

Project Homepage

Synopsis:
Newlyweds Jack and Kelly have come to colonize the Earth-like planet of Talaam, along with two hundred other brave pioneers. They thought their love would be strong enough to hold them together no matter how difficult the circumstances.

But love on its own can't regrow failed crops, repair broken equipment, or dig cellars. Love doesn't make one immune from wild creatures, diseases, or depression. Their choices will decide their fate...

Game Features:
  • Control Kelly's fate by deciding her work schedule, hobbies, and time with Jack
  • Interactive dialogue lets the reader decide Kelly's attitude and approach to every event, as well as major decisions such as having a baby
  • 100,000 words of dialogue spread between 4 different jobs, 7 different hobbies, and 3 endings allow for a variety of playing styles and different playthroughs
  • A community of interrelated NPCs with their own motivations, families, and stories
  • Science fiction setting that blends modern technology and old-fashioned frontier improvisation
  • Open source code licensed under the GPLv3 and other licenses.
Praise for Our Personal Space:
  • "...explores the adventure, romance, and everyday challenges of a new marriage on an alien planet. I usually don’t play video games, but easily got lost in the intriguing plot twists, mystery, and ethical dilemmas of this complex story." -Catherine White, author of Cupcake Girl
  • "...reiterates the fact that marriage is not the 'happily ever after.' It's the 'once upon a time.' Charming and well-written; equal parts relatable and sci-fi." -Mary Tueller Whipple
  • "...delivers a heart-warming (or heart-breaking!) tale of two space colonists far from anything they might call familiar." -Lance Meibos
Screenshots:

Endings Guide (spoilers!)
Last edited by qirien on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Finished games:

LadyLylalie

Re: Our Personal Space [Sci-fi] [Relationship Sim] [Free]

#2 Post by LadyLylalie »

Wow this seems really cute and interesting, and it's always great to have a woman science fiction protagonist! im downloading it now.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#3 Post by Godline »

Cute! Can't wait to get my teeth into it. Or eh, you know... my um, mind and stuff. (don't mind me).

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#4 Post by sasquatchii »

I have been waiting so long for this!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait :D Perfect way to spend a sunday!
ImageImage

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#5 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I downloaded this yesterday! Once I'm done with work I plan to play through it. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#6 Post by Caveat Lector »

Thus far, I am having too much fun. My MC's romantic nickname is "pumpkin butt". And hubby is "corn pops". :lol:

EDIT: Wow, the social event that shows how everyone fights online is...accurate. :lol:

OMG THE HORSE HAS A SPRITE!
Last edited by Caveat Lector on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by qirien »

Yay, hope you all enjoy it!

Nice nicknames... my hubby named the characters "Rosencrantz" and "Guildenstern" and then I could never remember which one was which... :D
Finished games:

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#8 Post by Caveat Lector »

Hmm, which horror puzzle game were they playing together? I wonder... :wink:

So all in all, I enjoyed this. I played my MC (whom I named "Kathy") somewhat close to how I would do it, and focused largely on creativity and spirituality. The art style stands out in that it's not quite anime-ish nor entirely cartoon-ish either, and I liked that. I also liked how you managed to balance the sweet, happy moments with the general conflict that would occasionally pop up, and even the sadder moments, without it feeling too much like mood whiplash. And, speaking from experience with my sisters, I also appreciated how you showed waiting for the actual birth isn't so quick or easy as it looks on film and TV (if it did, mama would be in for a world of hurt), and how it shows love needs a lot of work past the initital exciting infatuation stage. I got the "Making It Work" ending on my first try. It was awesome. Congrats on the release! :D
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I just finished my first playthrough. I think I got "Making it Work," but I accidentally advanced the text on the last screen, so I'm not 100% sure. That image did show up in the gallery, though.

Thanks for making this! I really enjoyed it; I think it did a pretty good job of representing what the ups and downs of terraforming and colonizing a planet would be. Of course, there are still scenes I need to see, but that'll be the purpose of my NG+ run!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Ladyhawke

#10 Post by Ladyhawke »

What an amazing game.
I got Love Grows on my first play. I so wish that I could make such calm and well thought out decisions in my real life relationships. But alas, my virtual persona is quite different from the real :twisted: . I think my second playthrough I'll see about that yummy co-worker I took pains to avoid. That was difficult I must say. *smirk*
Anyhow, great job! I had fun, and I'm heading into the + to take advantage of seeing more scenes.

Ladyhawke

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by qirien »

Thanks for posting your thoughts here, everyone! Mad Harlequin, if that's what showed up in the gallery, then that's the ending you got. :-) It's ending 2 of 3.

Ladyhawke, my hope is that a game like this might help people think a little more about the things they say and do in their relationships... I remember feeling mad at my husband one night, and the thought popped into my head, "If this was a relationship sim game, what would I do to get the good ending? Maybe I should do that in real life!" :-D
Finished games:

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Mad Harlequin »

qirien wrote:Thanks for posting your thoughts here, everyone! Mad Harlequin, if that's what showed up in the gallery, then that's the ending you got. :-) It's ending 2 of 3.
Thanks! That's what I thought.

I'll post more in-depth feedback as I work my way through my next run. :)
— Mark Twain

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#13 Post by Haze »

Been looking forward to this for a while; glad to see it's out! :D

I'm only on month 9 out of 25, but I jut want to say that I'm loving it so far! Sam and Jack(the names I chose) are written very well; I feel like there's no doubt they're a newlywed couple. I'll post more in-depth feedback when I'm done.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#14 Post by Fenrir34 »

Just got done playing. Here are my thoughts....

Writing-The writing was very well done. In the play through I did I didn't see any mistakes =). I'm really glad you took the extra time to make sure things were written correctly and spelled right =). Also the description was pretty good and I loved seeing Andrea's(my character's names) thoughts. Never got tired of reading =).

Art-The art was nice and simple for me, which is a good thing. My favorite sprite had to be Andrea, the horse and Eren(my main guys name.) Also I loved the sad and happy expressions for every body. The happy expressions even more because they always made me smile XD(Sorry if that seems a bit weird.) The only thing I wish though, were that characters like Natalia had a few more expressions. Actually I'm not sure if Natalia had any 0_0. Besides that that art was just fine.

Story-I'm not much into Sci-fi but I really liked the story for this game. At times though I felt that maybe more drastic things could happen.
Josephina's dying.
is a good example. And yes that scene was very sad =(. However, overall it was a nice and calm story =). Perfect thing to play to brighten up the mood.

Characters- I liked the characters as well. Andrea and Eren made a great couple and I really did support them, though I admit sometimes I choose the bad options XD. Some characters did stand more out then others though and given that the main cast isn't too big, I feel more could've been brought out in them.

Final Thoughts- This was a really fun game for me and I liked the simple 'stat' raising. It's definitely a game to play when you're upset and need a boost. I'm also really grateful to see how much care you put into this. I see it with the writing and art =). So please keep up with making games. I really did enjoy this and look forward to see what you will make in the future =).

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#15 Post by Godline »

Now some of Kaitlyn in Chinaland is done I finally have time to sit down and play this. And thus I did. :)
I love the variety of people that you had in it. The interracial relationships. The ugly couple. Hehe. It made it feel real. You did a great job creating a realistic VN.

Omigosh, the arrangement on cooking/cleaning. I have a similar arrangement but I'm the cleaner and we were just having that discussion about SOMEONE that fails to do their duty.

I concentrated on spirituality. I got my husband to go to church! Yay!

The horse sprite was the coolest. :)

LMAO. 'No dessert tonight'.

I really liked how many options there were. I want to play through a few times.

Oooh. I like Brennan.

That part with Josphine dying... :(

And we had a baby girl! Yay! Haha.
And then I got the separation ending and left him.
All in all INCREDIBLY well thought out and put together and I hope more people enjoy it!