tuesday [Kinetic] [Slice of Life] [Short] [Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ryuno
Regular
Completed: tuesday
Soundcloud: ryunocore

tuesday [Kinetic] [Slice of Life] [Short] [Free]

#1 Post by Ryuno »

AvalonRK presents "tuesday"

tuesday is a short kinetic visual novel about a young man and his first day at work and the concept of carpe diem. Saying any more than that would be spoiling the story.

Don't rush it, don't worry: just experience it.

Free download: http://kyuu.itch.io/tuesday

staff

Art: Ren
Twitter: @_x_Ren_x_
Web: http://x-ren-x.deviantart.com/

Script/Music: Ryuno
Twitter: @Ryunocore
Web: http://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Programming: kyuu
Twitter: @arkyuu
Web: http://fuzisaki.me/

screenshots:

Last edited by Ryuno on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColaCat
Veteran

Re: tuesday [Kinetic] [Slice of Life] [Short] [Free]

#2 Post by ColaCat »

Looks good! I'll give it a try! Been waiting for it to come out. ^^

EDIT: Just finished playing it, and my honest reaction when I had played trough it was "is that it?". Not because it's bad, on the contrary, the art is amazing - the soundtrack is cool and calm, and isn't repetitive or boring; the backgrounds and expressions and, ugh, just everything is so good. But I want more! It felt so short, and it ended so suddenly. I was still left wondering why his life was how it was, and I had a lot of unanswered questions.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. Short and sweet, yet still leaving some kind of hatred in how you managed to get me so involved in the story, in such a short time, and then just end it like that. X_X

So yeah, this game is really really good! I love it! I just would want it to be longer, and explain things a little bit more. It kind of felt like it was the demo for something bigger.

Spoiler ahead, don't read unless you've played it (seriously).
Still, I'm not usually a fan of groundhog day type things but, this had me hooked!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I'm really excited for this! It looked gorgeous from the start, downloading it now :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Ryuno
Regular

#4 Post by Ryuno »

Thank you for the feedback! We just released a minor bugfix, correcting some editing and minor performance issues.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#5 Post by Rinima »

That was enjoyable, I can say I related quite a lot to the main character.

Well done on some strong writing as well.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philip »

Very nicely done - short but enjoyable!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

I've read this story somewhere before, in an IRC channel somewhere long forgotten. I liked it back then as well, and I still like it now. It's been quite a while, though, so it's a bit disappointing it's exactly as I remember it.
What first appear to be grammar errors or sloppy writing become interesting when you grasp the story and read it anew, and I quite like that.
There's good attention to detail in the art, with each character having a unique appearance. I liked the Domo arigatou Mr Robotto shirt, too. The presentation is also very good, and I'm curious what software was used. This doesn't look Ren'Py. Music was also very good.

It's short, but not all works need to be long to be interesting. Someone not long ago told me writing something short and engaging is more difficult than long and engaging, so I'm not alone in this philosophy. I do feel like the ending kinda spoonfeeds the reader what the story is about, but on the whole it's a good five to ten minutes of reading, with beautiful presentation, relaxing music and a compelling story.

Slight comment though: "a usual", not "an usual". I read that line multiple times because I thought it said, "an unusual", and that'd be weird. It happens as he meets the old lady.
Second comment: when you scroll back after a sprite appears (or at least as the old lady's sprite appears), the sprite doesn't erase and is stuck, then appears again.

Ryuno
Regular

#8 Post by Ryuno »

Linux-users, we need help testing the ports here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26x1w98tlryps ... 4.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aogtj5pyfe9ly ... 2.rar?dl=0

No one in the team uses Linux and we could really use your feedback.

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#9 Post by ebi-hime »

Ooh, I liked this. The art and the presentation was really pretty, and the music was nice and relaxing, too.
Uh, it was kind of annoying that it seemed like you had to click in the text box to advance the text, you couldn't click anywhere else in the screen (at least, this happened for me).
I also wasn't so much a fan of how the sprites appeared on the scene - the fact they seem to be skateboarding everywhere kind of... makes things look a little more comic than was maybe intended? Perhaps it would look better with simple dissolve transitions instead?
But the story was good, the writing was solid, and all the assets used were top quality. It looked really professional o:
And I like all the character designs, too. It was nice even the very minor characters (like the teenagers) had sprites - especially in such a short story.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

SilverSnow
Regular
Completed: Bus Stop, Before the Tale, White Book Complete Volume, See You, The Raven
Projects: Secrets...
Tumblr: stchematelier
itch: st-chem-atelier
Discord: SHatsuyuki#1452

#10 Post by SilverSnow »

Although it was short I still enjoyed the game. I admit the story was kind of vague specially on the second part where it was Tuesday once again. The backgrounds and sprites were amazing! As well as the music. You guys really did a great job. :)

Ryuno
Regular

#11 Post by Ryuno »

We got featured on CreativeFluff Magazine: http://www.creativefluff.com/culture/vi ... sday-kyuu/