Western Destiny [Humor/Adventure] [NaNoRenO 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Rated Z
Regular
Projects: Western Destiny
Deviantart: dennyzartman
Soundcloud: denny-zartman

Western Destiny [Humor/Adventure] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Rated Z »

~~~ WESTERN DESTINY ~~~
Step into the boots of the Sheriff of Tombstone on a typical dangerous day in the wild, wild west!

Will you be a hero and lead your town into the future, or will the sunset find you pushing up daisies on Boot Hill?
Get it on MediaFire!
Or directly on the forum!
WesternDestiny-1.1-all.zip
(33.75 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
Soundtrack available on Bandcamp.com!
Micro game (5-10 Minutes) - Unique Mayor scoring system - Multiple endings
Made for NaNoRenO 2015
Yippee Ki Yay!
Last edited by Rated Z on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Western Destiny [Humor/Adventure] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Donmai »

Thank you and congratulations.
Jeez! Ah wuz killed on mah first play.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Rated Z
Regular

#3 Post by Rated Z »

Hey Donmai, thank you for playing it! Sorry you died!

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#4 Post by Godline »

First of all: congrats for being the first to finish!

Second of all: HAHAHAHAHA! This was great! :) I love that you can make choices that affect your rep with the mayor. I got 70% of the vote when I played but I wanted to go back and be despised.

Great job! (It would look a bit better with a different font than the default font and perhaps a different textbox - but it was a quick game, so no matter!).

Blackrune

#5 Post by Blackrune »

Someone's done early. Congratulations? And now I suppose it's time to start my journey to play everything that comes out of NaNoRenO this year.

Hm, the backgrounds are strangely appealing despite their simplicity.
Well. I did an absolutely terrible job as a sheriff and fully deserved to get fired. xP
At least I got away with my life though! I like to just stick with the path I got in these kinds of games, but I may explore some other possibilities later.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#6 Post by YossarianIII »

I liked the structure of this VN, and how by playing through once or twice, you could get a sense of how things were going to change on the next playthrough.

For example:
On my first time through, I was a drunken asshole. I stayed in the bar all day, was mean to everyone, and let Bullet Pete get away with the bank robbery without even knowing what was going on. The next time, I decided to be nicer, and go to the bank, but I just sat around there and waited... then got shot. By the next playthrough, I'd rounded up a 3-man posse to beat Pete, and on the one after that, I had a 4-man posse and 100%. I liked that there was kind of a puzzle element to figuring out who would be in what location at what time.
Also, I really liked that you have the option to
shoot the piano player. I'm curious, do people like you less if you do that, or are they just indifferent?
Plus, a Truffaut reference and a Coen Brothers reference in the same saloon? That makes me :D

As Godline mentioned, for future projects you could probably get good results from playing around with the options menu to change the default font, text display speed, etc. Not essential, but it does open up more options (pun unintended).

Overall, I liked the style of this one. Great work!

Image Image

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#7 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Can't wait to play once I get some free time!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Rated Z
Regular

#8 Post by Rated Z »

Wow! Thank you everyone. Sorry for the late response. The forum has stopped sending me notifications for some reason, so I didn't see the responses until now. I was certain everyone hated the VN, to be honest. And only after I posted it did I consider that it might be a breach of etiquette to post the game before the end of the month. I'm really grateful for all the comments and advice above.

I'm glad that I put my head down and worked on the game with tunnel vision, because judging from the other games being created on this month, mine seems hopelessly amateurish in comparison. Honestly, I would probably have given up at an early stage, because some of the work I've seen by the others on this forum has been absolutely eye popping and unbelievably creative.

Godline - I'm very glad you enjoyed it! :D I will definitely try and spruce up my next game a little more. Thanks for the advice! I do need to work on making a custom main menu for my next game. A custom pause menu seems like a huge challenge, but I hope to do it. I couldn't even figure out how to put a credits screen on the main menu. Obviously, I didn't mess with the text boxes on this one. I tried a little bit, but didn't want to mess things up and get bogged down before I knew that the game itself would even work at all. Also, it's kind of hard to tell which themes are easier to read. The first theme I tried, the text looked practically invisible. I'm not happy with the theme now (and that the choices cover the character faces) but hopefully that can be improved in the next game.

Blackrune - I hope you like the game, please let me know what you think if you do play it. Creating the backgrounds was a bit of a challenge. Luckily I had some original reference photos that I could use for the exteriors, and I got creative when devising the interiors. I was originally planning on using Google Sketchup to be my main background making tool, but Google sold it to someone else and now the license to use it is ridiculously expensive. I kinda understand since it's marketed to pro level architects, but it forced me to consider other options. How do other people deal with background creation? Using straight up photographs seems a little too easy, but maybe that's a better option.

YossarianIII - Thanks for the detailed comments, very much appreciated! I really worried that the gameplay/puzzle element would either be too simple or too obscure, and I'm relieved that the structure does become clear with multiple playthroughs.

About the piano player and other reputation points:

Shooting the piano player:
Shooting the piano player is just for fun, and doesn't affect the score at all. If you do shoot the piano player, the Mayor mentions it briefly at the end, but it doesn't affect your final evaluation score. It also stops the music in the saloon, of course!
Reputation in Western Destiny:
The bad guy and the bank guard are the only people you can say anything to and not have it affect your score. The deputy will notice if you treat the bad guy kindly or mean, but it won't be a factor for anything else in the game. With Miss Molly, whatever you say to her last will be her final impression of you. And if you're mean to the bartender, he won't tell you the vital information about the bad guy meeting his gang.
Sincerely, thanks again for all the great comments and advice. I really appreciate it greatly!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#9 Post by Harliqueen »

Congrats on finishing! Finally got to download and play, and it had me chuckling from the outset! :D The language you used throughout was awesome, especially when it came to Miss Molly.

Having the bartender's sprite cute off like he was behind the bar was a really clever detail!

Really enjoyed this, and the soundtrack really blended in well, great music.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#10 Post by YossarianIII »

Rated Z wrote:Shooting the piano player:
Shooting the piano player is just for fun, and doesn't affect the score at all. If you do shoot the piano player, the Mayor mentions it briefly at the end, but it doesn't affect your final evaluation score. It also stops the music in the saloon, of course!
Aw poor guy--sounds like the piano player doesn't have any friends in Tombstone. (Although I must not feel too sorry for him, seeing as
I shot him every time.
)

Image Image