The Change [Partial Voice][Life][Short][NanoReno2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

The Change [Partial Voice][Life][Short][NanoReno2015]

#1 Post by AsHLeX »

Finally, after 2 days (Weeeeeeeeeeeeee~~~~)
THE CHANGE
Everyone should look out for everyone.
Overview
Zack is the classic example of a person who dislikes communication. His life changes when a new girl from the countryside transfers to his school. Suddenly, his normal routine of a peaceful walk home from school is invaded with prying questions and unwanted attention of his life. Will his outlook on life change when he meets the bubbly, idealistic Bell?
A short story about life and humanity. (Sort of)
Characters

Bell

A bubbly, talkative and childish girl with a positive outlook on life. Yet all may not be as it seems on the outside as she has had her own battle with what it means to live.

Zack
Someone who tries to stay away from other people due to having experienced pain in the past due to others. Has a very negative outlook on life.

Lia
Both Bell's and Zack's classmate. The first person that Zack approached after Bell.
“The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up” - Mark Twain

(Main Menu fonts by cooltext.com)
Hehehehe...Guess this is the result of choosing to design a main menu at close to midnight.

Note: A ++ version will be released sometime later with CG's, credit to Lian (Thanks!)

P.S: It's a kinetic novel. (Sorry, I forgot to mention earlier.)

Please give it a try! *bows* It won't take up more than 10+ minutes of your time. (Feedback is definitely welcome - just drop by to say you've played it and what are your thoughts on it...please?)*puppy eyes*

Length: 3k words (a little less than that)

Download link:
Linux : http://www.mediafire.com/download/2h6tj ... ux.tar.bz2
Mac: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9raah ... ge-mac.zip
Win: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fl2ut ... ge-win.zip
P.S: The little boy is Zack as a kid.
Attachments
screenshot0017.png
screenshot0016.png
screenshot0014.png
screenshot0012.png
Last edited by AsHLeX on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: The Change [Partial Voice][Life][Short][NanoReno2015]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Congrats on finishing!!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory

#3 Post by AsHLeX »

Thanks!!! :)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

sonorousgem
Regular

#4 Post by sonorousgem »

Aww... I played this and it was so cute. X) I can't believe you finished it in 2 days. 2 days!!!
and it's so funny you were inspired by a youtube video haha
While I was thrown off by Bell's voice in the menu screen, I got used to it. Even with the Japanese undertones, it was more deep and realistic than I expected. Altogether very sweet ^.^ I don't agree with everything you put out there, but I admire you for putting it out, and it makes me happy to see your desire to inspire and encourage your players (like me!). of course if I'm wrong I'm sorry that's just the message I got out of it lol!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by AsHLeX »

@sonorousgem:
I actually got inspired by the comment someone posted on YouTube that went something like what Bell said in the end. Then I read the comments about how that made other people's day and so on. And I guess I just wanted to spread the love around ^^" I couldn't find the original message on YouTube when I went back to find it again, but I found out that it had been circulating around for a bit. I guess I just wanted to make someone else feel happy (?) *shrug* It probably wasn't the best way to put it but that was what I thought of. Besides, it seemed to suit Bell as the kind of thing that she would say...
Sorry about the Japanese voicing @_@
The first thing I did when I started the game was to look for a voice pack and somehow I decided that the voice suited Bell's. He he ^^". And when I finished and realized that setting was a little conflicting I didn't really have time to change it and stuff so... I hope it's not too distracting @@

Thanks for playing it!! :D
New demo out 24/12/23!!

sonorousgem
Regular

#6 Post by sonorousgem »

Haha I'm sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing you, the game really did make me happy :) And yes it did seem like something Bell would say.
I like her voice, it was cute! ^.^ When my mouse hovered over Load Game and Settings in the beginning, I heard her voice clips I was like what o.O but then I remembered it was partially voiced and all that ^.^

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

Aww, I'm glad you liked it! That really makes me happy :) Again, thanks for playing it!
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Sweet
Regular
Completed: To Think [KN], Here's the Tea, Nadine's Fairytale, Shining Light
Projects: Dragon Eater
Organization: ChickenRoostArt
IRC Nick: Ciera
Tumblr: ChickenRoost
Deviantart: ChickenRoostArt
Github: ChickenRoost
Soundcloud: ChickenRoostArt
itch: ChickenRoost
Discord: ChickenRoostArt

#8 Post by Sweet »

Have to say the voice at the menus is adorable! Just a note: I found a typo on Day 1's text, I think..? It should be 'don't mind' instead of 'don't minding.' Also..she said his name a couple times before she got his name from the teacher. Over all though, the game is really cute and I like their changing expressions. Bell is kind of random and fun, but Zack is rather quiet and reserved. Makes for interesting interactions! But the message towards the end of the game was really touching to me. I liked that you seemed to try to encourage others with it.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by AsHLeX »

Sweet wrote:Just a note: I found a typo on Day 1's text, I think..? It should be 'don't mind' instead of 'don't minding.' Also..she said his name a couple times before she got his name from the teacher.
Ahh... Sorry about that. ^^"" I kind of didn't realize it during checking.

Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm glad that you like it! :)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

peety

#10 Post by peety »

I played and here's my opinion.
Overall, it was a pretty good read. Nothing extraordinary, but still. I liked the message, as I am an optimist and I like that somebody is sending this kind of message.
Story was nothing special, but it was kinda sweet; too bad it was so short and it would get better. The plot was moving smoothly forward and it was good.
The characters are nicely fitting into the plot and I like their development
, especially Zack, although I wish he had larger backstory, but he was ok. Bell was good too, but reading about what she was through was much more interesting than her overly-happy attitude filled with "voice-acting", which I didn't like much. Lia was serving her purpose well, nothing special about her.
The other aspects were ok and I loved the art.
Sorry if I was too nitpicky, I was just trying to be honest. I'm looking forward to see your another (and longer!) projects.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by AsHLeX »

Thank you for playing! I'm glad you liked it :D
The story was just meant to be a one-off thing, nothing particularly special, just simply sweet and short.
Thanks for the review! Don't worry about being nitpicky :) Honest opinions are important for improvement.
Thanks again!
New demo out 24/12/23!!