Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015]

#1 Post by yuucie »

Those Without Names

Update: Hello again! I've been asked a few times now, so I just wanted to put it here: If you want to translate this game into another language, please feel free to do so (and thank you so much, translation is a lot of work and I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for the interest in such a small game!)

An unarchived version of the game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9070zcnloi4r ... l.zip?dl=0

This should make it easier to translate the files (sorry about the button images though, you may have to make those again from scratch)

Slice of Life, sibling relationships(platonic)
Warnings: Implications of death, claustrophobia, physical abuse

Endings: 4
File Size: 166 MB
Estimated Play Length: 1 hour
Summary

Eight has a name, a real name. The problem is that she can’t remember it.

The people around her don’t remember theirs either. Like her, they’re all trapped in what seems to be the same dream without a name; just a number. In order to leave this place, you must “awaken” to your name.

Much to Eight’s relief, she finds a familiar face. Just by looking at him she knows he is her brother, even if neither of them can remember each other’s names. She believes they’re trapped in a dream; her brother thinks they’re dead. Little by little they piece together their scattered memories to “awaken”: how it ends depends on who you think is right.
Characters
Eight: She woke up in a strange place without a name or clear memories, but since she convinced herself she's in a dream she's quite composed. Eight is quiet, but she draws her strength from protecting others. Since she dislikes reaching out to people, her brother is her best friend. She enjoys watching romantic dramas with him. Eight is terrified of small, cramped places and the idea of death.
Zero: Eight's brother. He is a naturally inquisitive person. Due to their family circumstances they're both quite close. He enjoys music, watching his sister's romantic dramas and commenting on the bad acting (but he still gets into it). Unlike her, he finds it difficult to adjust to the place they're in and projects it through anger and frustration. Makes friends more easily than Eight.

Seven: The first person Eight meets. She's calm and gentle, and reminds Eight of her mother. She stayed in this world the longest, and has already decided what kind of world they're trapped in. Instead of telling Eight or Zero however, she simply waits for them to arrive at their own conclusions. Looks upon the two of them quite fondly.

Thirteen: Zero befriends him quickly in this strange world. They share a common interest in mixing and composing digital music. Always optimistic and talkative, he's around for Eight when her brother is gone. His energy seems overwhelming at first, but he struggles to breathe on occasion, giving Eight a sense of his weak health.
Screenshots

----

Solo-made for NaNoRenO 2015, finished on March 30.

This is a story about close sibling relationships, something I enjoy seeing in games/movies/stories since I grew up close to my sister. A lot of sibling relationships are rarely portrayed as close however, so I decided I might as well make a game about it instead.

I hope you (whether you grew up close to your sib or not, or don't have any) enjoy the game as much as I did making it.

Some notes:

- I had some beta-testers, but not much. Let me know about errors/grammar/spelling mistakes.
- I am open to feedback/critique (just please be gentle).
- Most of all, thank you for taking time out of your day to play something I made.

Download Links
Update: Since it was a common complaint, added rollback (but it rolls back to History window, not backwards to choices). Ver 1.74 updated.

Dropbox:

All platforms: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdb6ux37u5ege ... l.zip?dl=0
Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdlln51gakez6 ... n.zip?dl=0
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9k7o6hrw9ie7 ... c.zip?dl=0
Linux: https://www.dropbox.com/s/revtlrt3r6uqn ... r.bz2?dl=0

Mediafire:

All platforms: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3n0k2 ... 74-all.zip

----

Edit: Throwing in the sketches of Thirteen and Seven here since I've been asked how they look like. They won't be getting sprites in-game because I want to keep the game as it is: every single work constrained to a single month.

Thirteen:

Seven:

Ending Hints:

There are a few people who seem to be having trouble getting some ends.

Hints at endings:
De End: Insist constantly it's a dream.
At End: Rely on Zero a lot during the game; fixate on where he is and how long you've been apart, need him to comfort you, avoid the topic of what the world is in favour of him humouring you.
Ac End: Listen to Zero's theories, accept the nightmare for what it is, believe Zero.
Answer Key:
Def End: Pick 1 all the time

Den End:

Att End:

Acc End:
Thank you for the interest in my game!
Last edited by yuucie on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015]

#2 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Yes it's up! Downloading right now! *will be recording mwuahahahaha*

The dropbox download didn't work, so had to use mediafire instead.
ImageImageImageImage

sorani
Veteran

#3 Post by sorani »

Thank you for making a game with such beautiful night scenes and sibling relationships ;;
I'm going to download it, but I need to finish my nanoreno first haha before I play through OTL

yuucie
Regular

#4 Post by yuucie »

@Sunlit-Dreamer AND NOW THAT I AM FREE, I WILL BE PLAYING YOUR SIB STORY TOO. /rubs hands with glee/

Oh no!! I fixed the link. Thanks for warning me!!

@sorani Thank you so much for leaving supportive comments while I was making it. ;__; You can do it! You still have tomorrow left!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Yeah~ downloading now :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#6 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Aaaand got my first ending. Default, Loneliest Number. (Throat hurts a bit from reading out loud for recording.) I chose with meh heeeaaaart.

When it first booted up, I ended up humming/singing along XDD. When I got to "certain" scenes, I almost ended up ranting. Had to stop myself several times.

I'm going to play again to try for good ending, only this time without recording. (Will be providing a link here to your thread so viewers can download and play it themselves to discover the other endings.)

Did you get the "on dorm" part via typos? When Zero is picking up Eight from the bus stop. *has ver. 1.4 atm*

Edit: Just got the Acceptance End: Moving On just now!
I knew it! I knew it was a car accident! Leo's such a good brother, trying to protect Ember to the end. I won't spoil how to get this ending. =P
I'm guessing the other two endings are bad ones? I think that's what was said in your original post on your wip thread. To try to get them or not, that is the question~ Haha.

Really enjoyed your nano. ^^ And the scenes made me rage, laugh, smile, and so on cue, as they should. (If vns don't make me feel anything other than annoyance, than to me, they're not good ones at all.) I look forward to more vns from you in the future!
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

I remember seeing this in the WIP thread and thinking: The art looks really good and I love sibling stories!
Saw that it was out this morning and decided to download it.
You really put a lot of thought into building up the story. It feels so complete (vague...but at the same time complete - not entirely sure how to say it)
At the beginning I kept thinking, aw, man. That's a sweet brother. I wish my brother was like that. Hehe.
The story was somewhat easy to relate too, but sweet at the same time.
When I downloaded it, I didn't actually expect it to be a "limbo" - a place between death and life. I really love those kind of stories ^^". And the sister-brother love was really touching, especially with the whole divorce and abusive parents thing. I knew there was a "dream" ending, but I was wondering how it would play out. I was expecting something like a false ending. Heh...loved it, really.
Thanks so much for making this beautiful game. ^_^" Definitely worth playing.

(By the way, when I saw your reply in the questions and announcements forum, I thought I remembered seeing you somewhere before hehe. Guess this was it ^^")
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#8 Post by Haze »

Yay, you finished! So happy for you!

Downloading now; I'll play it after I'm done putting the finishing touches on my own NaNo game. :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to playing this! :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

yuucie
Regular

#10 Post by yuucie »

@Sunlit-Dreamer: Thank you so much for playing! I'd like to see the recording if you're posting it anywhere. :wink:
Did you get the "on dorm" part via typos? When Zero is picking up Eight from the bus stop. *has ver. 1.4 atm*

Oh dear. What part of it is a typo? (I apologize, the whole sentence seemed fine to me so I'm not sure what to fix...)
I'm guessing the other two endings are bad ones? I think that's what was said in your original post on your wip thread. To try to get them or not, that is the question~ Haha.
There are no bad ends! If you ask me, the default end would be the least nicest, but you've already seen it. A lot of my friends think
the attachment end is really nice
which you haven't seen yet.

@Ashlex: Oh, you remembered me from the help forums. :lol: Hello again! Thank you for playing my Nano! I'm glad you enjoyed it, especially since you love sib stories too! If only we can all get along well with our sibs. :lol: The writing was a particular challenge, since the concept was only thought of 2 days before Nanoreno started and I speed wrote it in 4 days.

@Haze You can do it!! I'm going to walk around in bond too and figure out if it's really MC's different sides :wink:

@Mad Harlequin: Thank you! I hope you like it!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#11 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

For the "typo" part, I thought you had meant to stay "in a dorm" or something similar? Felt a little off to me for someone to live "on dorm" in the middle of a city.

I'll try for the other two endings. =3 And sure, I'll pm you the link when I upload it! Just don't expect much, ahaha.
ImageImageImageImage

yoshibb
Veteran

#12 Post by yoshibb »

That was really awesome *is totally crying right now T.T* I know you were a bit worried about conveying a brother and sister relationship but speaking as someone as someone with a brother, you did it perfectly.
I was really hoping that they were just in a coma, but I kind of figured it out after what happened with Mei-Ling. At least they are together though. I can definitely imagine facing such a terrible thing wouldn't be as unbearable if I had my brother with me.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#13 Post by Arowana »

Congratulations on finishing your NaNo! I think I recognize your GUI from the imagemap thread? It looks really nice! :D All the art in general was beautiful and fit the atmosphere well - I'm impressed you did so many BG in one month, too!

The brother-sister relationship was so sweet. I wish my brother was that nice, lol. I got the Acceptance end first, then the Attachment one. Not sure if I want to go for the other two, since it seems like those are the happiest ones? ^^
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

yuucie
Regular

#14 Post by yuucie »

@Sunlit-Dreamer: Aha! Now I wonder if it's a regional slang thing, as from where I'm from we say "stay on dorm/campus". However, grammatically staying in a dorm seems more correct. I will fix it. Thank you!

@yoshibb: I'm so glad you like it! I did have some concerns, so I pulled mostly on close sibling relationships in general. It's a relief that Zero came out believable as a brother. I'm glad you were so moved. /offers tissues
I think it would be so hard being alone in that place...poor Thirteen.
@Arowana: Yes! Thank you for your help, or I would have ridiculous overlaying menus. :lol: Thank you so much!

You got the two ends that I personally like the most. You definitely don't have to try the other ends! They aren't as happy as those two for sure. Thank you for taking the time to play my game!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#15 Post by AntiquedFae »

This looks really special. I love dear sibling relationships in media too. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I'm sure it will be amazing. ^^
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.