Where Ages Go [NaNoRenO2015][G/B/UxB][Romance?]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

Where Ages Go [NaNoRenO2015][G/B/UxB][Romance?]

#1 Post by Fox Lee »

GENRE: Modern Day, Fluff, Romance?, Surprise Ending
SETTING: Here in Australia, because that never happens in VNs! :p

Summary:
A teeny tiny story with a silent protagonist and a few short days to get to know one of three cute boys. Though there are few choices to be made, your personality and appearance will influence events in the game, and there's a surprise ending that should add a fun twist to the otome formula :D It really would ruin it if I told you (but there is a hint in the title).

You still want to know? DEFINITELY?...
As we find out in the last scene, the player character is a silent protagonist because she/they/he is in fact a DOG.
...Well, of COURSE choosing a soulmate in three days would be rushing things :p Choosing a new owner in three days, not so much.
Status
HOLY COW I FINISHED MY NANO
I didn't hit any stretch goals, since I needed the extra time to prepare for a most excellent yaoi+yuri convention on the 28th & 29th. However, I wanna revisit this and polish it at a later stage, because it makes me happy XD

Characters
Image Image Image
I decided to let the player nickname each boy after they meet him, so, these names are still canonical but now more like a default than a fixed value :p

PC
An off-screen, unnamed silent protagonist of customisable gender (he/she/they, no in-game effect except pronoun usage). Two traits picked at the beginning of the game, Looks (tough/pretty/cute) and Nature (energetic/loving/clever) help determine the events of each playthrough.

"Kirby"
A cute, upbeat but shy boy in his last year of high school. He writes digital music he shares online, and would like composing and/or producing music to be his career. Though friendly, he has a lot of fears, and struggles hard with social anxiety. A chronically white kid.

"Micah"
A responsible, mature young man studying medicine at university and working part-time at his uncle's pharmacy. His family, who emigrated before he was born, are very close-knit and have (perhaps unreasonably) high expectations of him. Being deliberately serious and well-behaved, he has some trouble being emotionally honest.

"Ash"
Standoffish, aloof, and constantly using an apathetic attitude to cover his emotional insecurity. Melancholy and private, Ash has some survivor's guilt over the accidental death of the last friend he got close to, and tends to keep others at arms' length. He seems to be involved with some dangerous people.

Screenshots:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Download:
http://fox-lee.itch.io/where-ages-go
I've never really done distribution builds before, so I hope these work! ^^;

There are a whole bunch of Creative Commons resources here - I tried to note and link all of them in the credits. Check them out if you haven't already! ^^
I'd love to know what you think, and in particular, when you worked out the twist. Also, I plan to release the parts I made myself - specifically character sprites, rain effects and so forth - as creative commons. If you use Creative Commons art, would you be interested in that?

Thanks for looking! :D
Last edited by Fox Lee on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

Re: Where Ages Go [NaNoRenO2015][G/B/UxB][Romance?]

#2 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

Hello =) !
I really enjoyed playing even if I had read the spoiler beforehand.
I'm also impressed by the varieties of sprites you have made and the GUI was really pretty.
Congratulations, I had a good time.

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#3 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Such a cute game, thank you for making it! I didn't read the spoiler before I played it. It was a great reveal!

I did, however, run into two issues.

Bug #1 (not really a spoiler but put in spoiler text just in case):
At the end of the tough guy (Ash) route when the delivery guy sees you he got my gender wrong in the first couple of lines calling my character "he" and "fellow" when I was a "she." It switched back as soon as the Ash started talking.
Bug #2: I got a traceback error when I tried to save.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#4 Post by Arowana »

I loved this game! I couldn't resist reading the spoiler orz (the white box, it tempts me so...), but that just made me want to play it more. :D

I thought it was very polished for the NaNo timeframe, especially considering that you were working on your own! The GUI and all the graphics (items, CGs, etc.) were clean and cute (gah, I want those Pokeball headphones!), and I loved the little touches like making the text size change with the volume of the voice.
The CGs are adorable! I replayed a bunch of times to see the different breeds, and they're all so cute that I can't choose a favorite one. <3 I think I actually teared up a bit when I realized the delinquent's old dog had been killed ahhh...I'm such a sucker for cute animals. ;_;

Ah, and I forgot to say I like the title! WAG is very appropriate. ;)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#5 Post by Fox Lee »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote:Such a cute game, thank you for making it! I didn't read the spoiler before I played it. It was a great reveal!
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it XD
I did, however, run into two issues.

Bug #1 (not really a spoiler but put in spoiler text just in case):
At the end of the tough guy (Ash) route when the delivery guy sees you he got my gender wrong in the first couple of lines calling my character "he" and "fellow" when I was a "she." It switched back as soon as the Ash started talking.
This is deliberate, actually -
I kind of figured that the delivery guy would just assume the dog was a boy because, well, that's what everyone seems to do with dogs ^_^; Ash, of course, cares enough to get it right, even if he pretends he doesn't ;p
Hmm, I guess it didn't come across that way? I wonder if it would be best to change it? In the end, this scene is literally the only place that the pronoun ever comes up, so the impact may be a bit lost ^^;
Bug #2: I got a traceback error when I tried to save.
Uhoh, that's new. Which system are you on? Does it happen every time you try to save?

Thanks for the feedback! :D
Arowana wrote:I loved this game! I couldn't resist reading the spoiler orz (the white box, it tempts me so...), but that just made me want to play it more. :D
It's okay, I would too if it were me XD I can never resist! >3>;
I thought it was very polished for the NaNo timeframe, especially considering that you were working on your own! The GUI and all the graphics (items, CGs, etc.) were clean and cute (gah, I want those Pokeball headphones!), and I loved the little touches like making the text size change with the volume of the voice.
I'm so glad you think so! Though I can't take credit for the GUI, it's really Gio's work and I just made a few tweaks. But I tried hard to make the sprites and the text really expressive, so it's properly exciting to hear you say that :D *bounces*

Hee hee, I added in the headphones because after I coloured Kirby, all my friends said he looked like a Ralts/Gardevoir; I thought "in for a penny, in for a pound..." :p I think you can get something a lot like his headphones online, actually. Might be worth a search ;p
The CGs are adorable! I replayed a bunch of times to see the different breeds, and they're all so cute that I can't choose a favorite one. <3 I think I actually teared up a bit when I realized the delinquent's old dog had been killed ahhh...I can't help but be moved by cute animals. ;_;
Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned this! I wondered if it was a bit too subtle, so I'm super glad you noticed :)

Thank you for playing! :D
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#6 Post by Arowana »

Fox Lee wrote:Hee hee, I added in the headphones because after I coloured Kirby, all my friends said he looked like a Ralts/Gardevoir; I thought "in for a penny, in for a pound..." :p I think you can get something a lot like his headphones online, actually. Might be worth a search ;p
Oh wow, he totally does! That just makes it even more awesome, haha. And yessss, looks like Pokeball headphones are totally a thing. :lol:

(And lol, just realized your avatar is a Munchlax. Nice to meet a fellow Pokemon fan! :D)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

GrizelyBear
Regular

#7 Post by GrizelyBear »

T-that was so sweet ;w;
Oh my gosh, I kept thinking and thinking about my own dog while playing this (I read the spoiler beforehand haha OTL)
The art was adorable, and I loved the story! So cute~

Thank you for the wonderful VN! <3

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#8 Post by Heiden »

Congratulations on finishing~!

This was sooooooo soooooo cute!! I read the spoiler before playing it
I have zero self-control when it comes to spoilers, hahahaha...
, but even still, I wasn't expecting that
the breed of the dog changed depending on your beginning choices. I thought that was a really nice touch!
I enjoyed all three routes so much that I don't know if I have a favorite, XD. Kirby was the first I went after and he was ADORABLE~ And I really liked Micah's character, especially
the family problems he was dealing with. I'm glad that he was able to get his own place at the end. :)
And I totally didn't catch that
Ash's previous dog died, AWWWW :'O
This was a really refreshing game and I had a TON of fun playing it!

Is it alright if I draw some fanart? :D
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#9 Post by KittyKatStar »

Aaaah this was super cute. I had a lot of fun playing with the combos and it
made me miss my pets.
Good job. <3

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#10 Post by yuucie »

I am immediately intrigued by your spoiler! I will give this a go today!

Maegalkarven
Regular

#11 Post by Maegalkarven »

At first i wasn't very exited to play this game (well, i read the spoiler and was all like "WAT")
But then i played it.
And OMG, it's so cute and awesome and sweet thank you, thank you!
I just played 2 routes (Micah and Ash) and gonna see Kirby. Just want you to know, this game of yours is great!
And, btw, choises of protagonist personality are really cool.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#12 Post by Godline »

What an adorable game!
I can't wait to play it when I get a chance!
Also, I plan to release the parts I made myself - specifically character sprites, rain effects and so forth - as creative commons. If you use Creative Commons art, would you be interested in that?
And that sounds awesome too. :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#13 Post by Mad Harlequin »

This is in my queue of NaNoReNo releases I hope to play soon. Looking forward to it! (I'm not reading the spoiler, so we'll see how that goes!)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Chozogal
Completed: You Never Left
Tumblr: Chozogal
Deviantart: Chozogal

#14 Post by Chozogal »

This was such a cute game. I wasn't expecting such cuteness. I love the art, I love the story, I love love LOVE how the different options changed how the story went with every character... and it was really cute. I want more stories that are this fluffy and cute. ^_^

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#15 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

"Bug" #1: Deliberate you say? Fair enough, that's what I've observed too.

Bug #2: The game saves normally if I open it as an administrator. If I just open it with a double click though I'm not able to save.