The Black Cloth Painting [NaNoReNo2015] [Courtroom, Puzzle]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
veitralf
Completed: Find them on veitralf.itch.io

The Black Cloth Painting [NaNoReNo2015] [Courtroom, Puzzle]

#1 Post by veitralf »

The Black Cloth Painting is finished and up on http://veitralf.itch.io/black-cloth-painting

Sharley, the Captain of the City Guard needs to solve this case of a stolen painting quickly; There are far more important things to do. But, are there really?

Solve this heinous crime in time for dinner!

I hope everyone had as much fun with NaNoReNo as I did! Until next year, hopefully :wink:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 14.31.41.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 14.32.50.png
title.png

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: The Black Cloth Painting [NaNoReNo2015] [Courtroom, Puzz

#2 Post by AntiquedFae »

Ooh, I remember seeing this one. Congratulations on finishing; it looks fascinating. Downloading and adding to my Nano playing queue! :)
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

qualifiedbadger

Re: The Black Cloth Painting [NaNoReNo2015] [Courtroom, Puzz

#3 Post by qualifiedbadger »

This is a nice courtroom-style game. I liked the characters and setting, and it was interesting to see an Ace Attorney-style game in a fantasy world. There's lots of potential as an inter-country peace broker, where keeping the peace is more important than pointing blame at who's wrong, and I liked that it was a case that wasn't just a murder-mystery.

I had some problems getting the game to work on my computer, though. When I clicked the 'desk notes' page to look at the evidence, there'd be no way to return to the game - no 'Return' button on-screen, and none of the keyboard keys like 'Escape' took me back, so I had to keep re-loading the most recent auto-saves.

Having to type in clues was a good idea, and made me pay attention more, but again I had problems getting it to work. In the end I had to open script.rpy, to see exactly what I had to type in. If you try converting the player's answer to lowercase, using

Code: Select all

answerr = answerr.lower()
then
if answerr == "nothing else was stolen"
that might help. You might also want to get rid of the full stops - there was one in the first answer, but not in the second.
Also, having a label inbetween the 1st and 2nd 'type-in' questions to jump to if you get the 2nd one wrong might make getting a mistake less painful.

Small things but hopefully it'll help you improve the experience of anything further you work on. :) Other than that I really liked the new elements you brought to the courtroom-style genre.