Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB][NaNoRenO 2015] +DLC +ARTBOOK

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB][NaNoRenO 2015] +DLC +ARTBOOK

#1 Post by Katy133 »

DOWNLOAD: On Itch.io!
Official Website Page
DLC Released!
NEW: Behind the Scenes Art Booklet Released!
WIP Thread
My Patreon Page

(Please consider supporting my work on Patreon. There are rewards and milestones for you there!)
Three Guys That Paint is about… well, that’s a little difficult to explain... why don't you try out the game and see for yourself?
Comedy/Slice of Life/Romance || [Free]
THE STORY… sort of

Nigel is a house painter. While trying to earn money with his two colleagues (Terri and Arthur) and taking care of 6-year-old Alicia, Nigel decides to take in a new tenant: Morwenna.

Despite being new to this whole ‘parenting’ thing, Nigel is becoming a good parent for Alicia. She and Nigel are having a pretty okay life. However, there have been recent reports of mysterious disappearances around the neighbourhood. And Morwenna seems to be acting stranger and stranger...

The story is set in London, Canada. The game takes place over the course of several days.

THE CHARACTERS
Nigel: The player character. Nigel is a house painter who is trying to balance between his freelance jobs as a painter and taking care of Alicia. He wants to be a good father.

Dry and snarky, he’s the most down-to-Earth of the group. It was his idea to start the independent painting company, called Three Guys That Paint, with his two friends.

Nigel likes the simple life, has no real ambitions at moving on from his house painting job (he likes it just fine), and is perfectly content to hang out with Alicia, and his friends-slash-colleagues, Terri and Arthur.

Alicia: Alicia is an energetic 6-year-old who loves spaceships and dinosaurs. She is sweet and curious, but she can also be a little mischievous and has quite an adventurous nature.

Morwenna: Morwenna is Nigel’s new tenant. She seems kind of weird and eccentric, mysteriously accepting Nigel’s tenant ad and wanting to get involved in his life. She wears a chunky wrist device (whatever it does, Nigel hasn’t got a clue), and dresses like a 1960’s mod.

Terri: Terri is one of Nigel’s co-workers. She is the most sensible of the group. Terri may be friendly, but at her core, she’s tough-as-nails. She is a rational, skeptical, and confident woman.

Arthur: Arthur is Nigel’s other co-worker. He is an energetic, enthusiastic and excitable person. He thinks, speaks, acts and reacts quickly. But because he's wrapped just a little too tight, sometimes his excitement can overwhelm him--making him the character most likely to panic. He is more nervous and apprehensive than his co-workers. Arthur may not be the most easy-going of the friends, but he's probably the most enthusiastic.

Others: There are other characters involved. Shh…

THE TEAM
Art & Writing...................Katy133
Programming Assistance.....Thee Forsaken One

FEATURES

- Multiple endings.
- Romanceable characters: Three love interests (the latter three characters listed above).
- Timeline: Shows you how far you are to finishing the game.

QUESTIONS

1. First impressions in general? (On story, game type etc.?)
2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
3. Which character will you probably try to romance first?
4. Comments on the art style?
4. Which character ending did you get first? Were you trying to get another ending? Did you replay the game to get the other endings?
5. Was anything in the game too confusing?
6. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!
Last edited by Katy133 on Wed May 06, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yay! I've been waiting for this! Downloading now! :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Awesome! Will check it out soon.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

Congrats on finishing! I love the illustrative art style and GUI. :)
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Thee Forsaken One
Regular
Completed: RE: Alistair++; Backstage Pass; Three Guys That Paint; The Reject Demon Toko - Ch 0; The Menagerie
Projects: Winning Hearts; Astral Hours
Organization: Forsaken Productions
Tumblr: ForsakenProductions
Deviantart: TheeForsakenOne

#5 Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Glad to see it out. Can't wait to play (Since I don't know much about the story either). :P

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#6 Post by Heiden »

CONGRATULATIONS ON FINISHING!!!!!

I was able to get
Morwenna's ending first and AAHH IT WAS SO SAD ;-; SHE LEAVES AND ALICIA GROWS UP AND HE'S WORRIED ABOUT BEING ALL ALONE, BUT Then he gets a message from Morwenna so maybe she's able to visit him at least one time before going to try to find the cube before possibly losing her mind- AAAHHHH. So sad.
But then I got Authur's and Terri's endings and Nigel seemed to get his happy ending there so I felt better :).
I was really impressed with just how the GUI matched the themes of the work (the little dinosaurs in the choice menus and how the textbox looked like a paint roller), a very nice touch! And I really really really liked how the character's namebox color's matched their outfits, I'm a huge sucker for color-coded characters :)

And then I really liked how
Morwenna's character design reflected that she was an alien (her big eyes)
, and how
the two children's books you can read to Alicia were two of the major themes of the piece (Finding someone to grow old with as well as not shrinking away from your art)
and just in general, nothing felt superfluous. Everything happened for a reason, and I think that is probably the hardest thing to pull off in writing something. AND ALL OF THIS WAS DONE IN A MONTH. I'm REALLY impressed!

Just a quick error I noticed
during Morwenna's confession scene some of Nigel's lines are said as internal thoughts instead of as speaking lines, while some of her lines have Nigel saying them. This was the only error I noticed in the entire VN, though.
I'm curious about
the relationship between Nigel and his adoptive daughter Alicia. Did he know her original parents? Or is this left up to our imaginations? And what of Morwenna and this black box she was looking for? Would you ever think about revisiting this universe for a future project?

Also, is it alright if I drew some fanart? :D

OH, and your questions:

I thought it was unique to have a single father painter as a MC, I hadn't seen that before, so I was interested. :)

2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
I knew something was up with Morwenna since one of the concept art pieces you had posted had her in a more futuristic looking scene, so I was on alert for a plot twist, haha.

If you had asked me this before I played it, I probably would have tried to romance Arthur first. But playing through it I romanced Morwenna first.

Very unique! I liked it!

4. Which character ending did you get first? Were you trying to get another ending? Did you replay the game to get the other endings?
Morwenna! And yes! I replayed for the other two endings!

The only thing that struck me as slightly odd was that
Nigel brings Alicia into the Mall's basement even after Morwenna had mentioned that they're looking for alien dinosaurs (However, I could just as easily have misread this scene so if there was a reason given for this, I must have missed it.)
Besides the questions about
Alicia's parents and the black cube Morwenna was looking for
, nope! I'm eagerly looking forward to any new projects you might make! :D :DDDD

(ALSO IM REALLY SORRY ABOUT THIS LONG COMMENT HAHAHA)
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

ColaCat
Veteran

#7 Post by ColaCat »

My anti-virus (Norton 360) keeps saying that the files aren't safe, and is therefore removing them, leaving me unable to play the game.

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

#8 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

Ooh, this looks nice. Very distinctive art style, liking the character designs. I keep seeing it on itch.io, I should give it a run.

Congrats on making deadline!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

#9 Post by Katy133 »

Heiden wrote:Just a quick error I noticed
during Morwenna's confession scene some of Nigel's lines are said as internal thoughts instead of as speaking lines, while some of her lines have Nigel saying them. This was the only error I noticed in the entire VN, though.
I'm curious about
the relationship between Nigel and his adoptive daughter Alicia. Did he know her original parents? Or is this left up to our imaginations? And what of Morwenna and this black box she was looking for? Would you ever think about revisiting this universe for a future project?

Also, is it alright if I drew some fanart? :D

[...]

The only thing that struck me as slightly odd was that
Nigel brings Alicia into the Mall's basement even after Morwenna had mentioned that they're looking for alien dinosaurs (However, I could just as easily have misread this scene so if there was a reason given for this, I must have missed it.)
I'm glad you enjoyed it! And yes you can make fanart of it!!! I'm really flattered! Please show it to me as well!!

Thank you for spotting those errors and telling me about them. I'll get right on to fixing them.

On Alicia and Nigel
I purposely made Nigel's relationship with Alicia's original parents (and what happened to Alicia's parents that made them unable to take care of her) ambiguous.
I may do some more things with this universe as a future project. I have no concrete plans though, but I feel like there are a few stories in this world that are left untold.
What did Morwenna do at her academy? What other adventures did Morwenna have on her way to finding the Black Cube? Does she ever find the cube?
I actually have some vague ideas on how I could re-visit this VN's universe; I'll gather all my thoughts and elaborate on it in the Postmortem booklet once it's released.

On your thoughts on Question 5:
Originally, there was a (deleted) scene where Nigel notes that everywhere Morwenna goes, danger will come, and also that (ironically) the safest place for him and Alicia is by her side, because Morwenna always wins. The only thing left of this scene in the final version is Nigel saying "You sound like you've done this before," when Morwenna tells Nigel that it's dangerous to go with her. The scene was deleted due to a) pacing issues, and b) because I had a lot of difficulty introducing this conversation in a way that sounded natural in the story. Sorry that it was unclear in the final version of the VN, but hopefully mentioning it here will give a sense of closure.
ColaCat wrote:My anti-virus (Norton 360) keeps saying that the files aren't safe, and is therefore removing them, leaving me unable to play the game.
I sometimes get that issue with downloaded VNs. I'm sorry about the trouble. If you're interested, I know of a possible solution:

Firstly, open Norton Security History and select to show Unresolved Security Risks. If your files are shown there, click the button to Clear Entries.

Drop the .zip into a folder (we'll called this "Folder A" for convenience). Then go onto Norton 360, go into the Settings menu. On the top left there is a button that says Antivirus, go there and go into the Scans and Risks tab. At the very bottom of the menu you will see 3 or 4 options with blue text on the right side of the table in the Exclusions / Low Risk section. Now click on the add exclusion button for the Scan Exclusions and add the entire "Folder A" to the exclusions.... then go into the SONAR Exclusions tab and add the exact same exclusions that I mentioned above (the .exe and the entire Folder A).

Make sure that the include sub folders option is selected for both the SONAR settings and for the Scan Exclusion settings when you add them. Unzip the game folder (making sure you unzip it in Folder A), and try running the visual novel. Hopefully that works.
Last edited by Katy133 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

ColaCat
Veteran

#10 Post by ColaCat »

Ah, thank you! I'll give that a go. Hopefully it should work.

EDIT: Got it to work! Thanks so much for that guide! I think I might be using that again in the future. ^_^ Got Morwenna's ending first, then went for Arthur's. I love the art, and how well polished it is for a NaNo project (or just a VN in general to be honest). Sorry if you've answered this before, but how many endings are there?

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#11 Post by Heiden »

Katy133 wrote:
Oh your thoughts on Question 5:
Originally, there was a (deleted) scene where Nigel notes that everywhere Morwenna goes, danger will come, and also that (ironically) the safest place for him and Alicia is by her side, because Morwenna always wins. The only thing left of this scene in the final version is Nigel saying "You sound like you've done this before," when Morwenna tells Nigel that it's dangerous to go with her. The scene was deleted due to a) pacing issues, and b) because I had a lot of difficulty introducing this conversation in a way that sounded natural in the story. Sorry that it was unclear in the final version of the VN, but hopefully mentioning it here will give a sense of closure.
Ah! Now that makes sense.

ALSO AAAAHH I drew a fanart http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... anartf.png
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Katy133 »

Heiden wrote:ALSO AAAAHH I drew a fanart http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... anartf.png
THEY LOOK SO CUTE!!! Oh my gosh! Thank you!!! I love it! You drew them so detailed! And Alicia's holding a dinosaur! >W<
ColaCat wrote:EDIT: Got it to work! Thanks so much for that guide! I think I might be using that again in the future. ^_^ Got Morwenna's ending first, then went for Arthur's. I love the art, and how well polished it is for a NaNo project (or just a VN in general to be honest). Sorry if you've answered this before, but how many endings are there?
I'm glad it worked!

There are three different endings in total.
ImageImage

DuskSnare
Tumblr: DuskSnare
Soundcloud: DuskSnare

#13 Post by DuskSnare »

Wow. I really mean Wow! :D This really impressed me! I love the story! It's really cute, and the art style is fascinating. I'll admit, I was put off by the art style at first, but when I played, I really loved it. Kinda wish I could of used the
ring or ray gun
... but still! I really liked it and I just commented to say, keep up the amazing work! I'd also like to say you have everything set up the game really nicely, the UI was perfect and everything. It was just so purdy! ... Now I'm just rambling. Ill stop before this post gets to long.

Edit: IM ADDING MORE! I kinda would love to see the academy. The people in the photograph looked really cool, and I'm sure there's an interesting story in there!

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#14 Post by Sheridan »

I haven't finished playing yet, but I just had to say how much I love, love, LOVE the art! Such a unique & gorgeous style. Also, the way you had things happen in the background without comment in the text (i.e. Alicia zipping across the screen, Morwenna's device flashing) is something I wish I saw in more VNs. It's a nice, subtle way to give the scenes a sense of motion and dynamism.

Squid
Regular

#15 Post by Squid »

JUST finished it~

CUTE~
It's fun, has a style of it's own, and ties together a couple common themes.

Terri and Arthur weren't as interesting as the rest of the cast...
But I'd say that's less about a lack of personality for them, and more bout how WELL others were done.
Also personal tastes, as well.

Morwenna~

It's lively, and also cute at the same time.
It fits the painting theme as well as the parenting theme.
The characters use a somewhat cartoon style, and it works to both hide and show differences.
You probably know what I mean :)

Morwenna's, and then got the other 2.
(then I came here and saw there were no more to get, so finally stopped :p)

A few loose ends, but most of those are already listed above.
Nothing confusing, per se... merely mysterious.

Maybe elaborate on Terri and Arthur types a bit more before making choices related to them next time?
I wasn't drawn to either at that point, and it wasn't until after Morwenna talked to them that I learned how fun they were.
Maybe that is intentional, but it didn't hook me on their characters, while the parent to Alica aspect was already firmly established by then.

Just a minor suggestion, however. not a complaint, as it worked out nicely for me (who replays anyway) :D