Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB][NaNoRenO 2015] +DLC +ARTBOOK

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dreamtigers

Re: Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#16 Post by Dreamtigers »

Really enjoyed this -- thank you! :)

Some answers to the questions in your first post...

1. First impressions in general? (On story, game type etc.?)
Loved the character art and the retro fonts in the title. VNs that are set in specific cities appeal to me, and it was nice to see London-specific references in the story.

2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
The dialogue between Nigel and Alicia was sweet, and I was curious about
how Nigel came to be a parent. I don't think I was skeptical about anyone, though I wondered how Arthur sensed that something would happen at their next painting job.
3. Which character will you probably try to romance first?
Morwenna. She had the most screen time, as well as a mysterious backstory.

4. Comments on the art style?
I particularly liked the watercolor look and the details of Morwenna's and Arthur's outfits.

4. Which character ending did you get first? Were you trying to get another ending? Did you replay the game to get the other endings?
Morwenna, and yes. Morwenna's ending was my favorite, probably because we spend less time with Terri and Arthur.

5. Was anything in the game too confusing?
Confusing, no. I was (slightly) disappointed that Terri and Arthur more or less say the same thing at certain points, but it didn't bother me too much. I can't believe this only took a month!

6. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!

The books that you could read to Alicia were cute, and as another poster said, it was neat how they tied into the themes of the main story.

It was refreshing to see
a protagonist who was content with his suburban life, but still had adventures. This bit of dialogue made me laugh out loud:

NIGEL: So...the dinosaurs. We defeated them. We defeated them with... love?

MORWENNA: And your sheer lack of ambition.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#17 Post by Godline »

I thought all the art was really cute, the style was very unique.
I got Morwenna's ending and I really liked it.
Certainly not what I'd expected at first! Haha.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#18 Post by Katy133 »

Update: Version 1.2 of the game has been released on Itch.io, fixing typing errors.

Also, Three Guys That Paint was mentioned/talked about on 2015's NaNoRenO Podcast (Warning: Major Spoilers discussed).
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

Re: Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB] [NaNoRenO 2015] +DLC

#19 Post by Katy133 »

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! :)
A DLC supplement for Three Guys That Paint has been released!

You can now play it online!

It's called "A Tune at the End of the World."

ImageImage

MinaThomas

#20 Post by MinaThomas »

Morwenna was particularly interesting from the moment she popes up on screen. I found that her 'oddness' really made her stand apart from the others. I really enjoyed every moment of her! I just really loved the way she was written. Defiantly one of the more memorable characters I've come across in a VN recently! :3

I actually tried to romance Terri first. No real reason other than I dived into the game completely blind and I just loved her hair. Might be a bit of a silly reason thinking about it now. I also managed to get Terri's ending on the first try. As a side comment, I found it rather easy to get the endings I wanted straight away. I guess I'm more experiences with VN's so I can read the tell-tale signs a little better than a newer person but this game didn't make it hard at all to pick the 'right' answers. I did Auther second and left Morwenna until last. So in all, I've done three playthroughs (Not sure how many ends there are in total though).

I'll admit, that first I was a little skeptical about the art style. It's rather different to what is usually out there and I was considering skipping over this game because of it. I can't stress enough how glad I am that I didn't get stuck in that mindset and did give it a try. It grew on me pretty quickly and although at first I did think it looked "lazy" I actually found it to be far less distracting than some VN's I've encountered where everything is clustered in there. I'm defiantly going to keep a more open mind in the future!
I didn't find anything in the game confusing or anything. I pretty much just went with it. Didn't over think things and it worked for me.

As for the story itself, I found it to be an enjoyable treat. I suppose space-travel isn't something that's overly used these days so it was nice to find something more unique. You can tell that I'm not very good at giving good criticism, can't you? xD
I, personally, wouldn't have minded if the endings were a little soppier but at the same time, I think they did fit the character of Nigel pretty well. He didn't seem like an overly emotional guy other than his cuteness to Alicia.
Er, either way, I hope I managed to give you some okay feedback and I'll be looking out for any future games! :3

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#21 Post by YossarianIII »

This is really awesome!

I downloaded it without really looking at the promo material, just because I liked the title and the art style. If this had been a low-key game about some dudes getting their paint on, I probably would've enjoyed it for the quality of the animation. But you really got me when you added
a mod alien and cyborg space dinosaurs. The Who + Douglas Adams is a pretty direct path to my heart. I was really impressed with the way the story managed to blend genres while maintaining a coherent overall aesthetic. There are a bunch of people in this thread calling the style cute (and I agree!), but you've also got a severed arm and a dinosaur-mangled body in here. And that's great! I enjoyed picking a book to read to Alicia just as much as I enjoyed infiltrating the space dinosaur main base.
As for which ending I got first:
I actually didn't realize I was romancing anyone! (Somehow I missed the giant [BxG/BxB] in the post title title :) )
I think I was still in Walking Dead-mode because all I wanted to do was be a good surrogate father figure, so I picked everything for Alicia. Falling in love with a big-eyed space woman was just a nice bonus, I guess.
As a couple other people have mentioned
Terri and Arthur do sort of get the short end of the stick, at least in the beginning of the story. I mean, Terri's hair is awesome and Arthur's got a badass kilt, but it might've made sense to give them more dialogue before the player has to make the first decision about who to spend time with. But this isn't a huge issue because, as I said, the Morwenna storyline has a satisfying arc to it, and you do get more of Terri and Arthur's personalities as the story progresses.
Finally, as for questions, I've got one super important one:
Do malls in Canada not have internal plumbing? I don't think I've ever seen a porta-potty in a mall before... I'm willing to suspend my disbelief when it comes to Vespa-riding humanoids, but I won't accept this absurd placement of restroom facilities! :D
Looking forward to future projects!

Image Image

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#22 Post by Mad Harlequin »

This was just reviewed at Jay is Games. Congrats!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB][NaNoRenO 2015] +DLC +ART

#23 Post by Katy133 »

NEW: Behind the Scenes Art Booklet Released!

You can download it for free as a PDF.
ImageImage

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#24 Post by Haze »

So, Norbez and I are doing a playthrough/voice acting thing/commentary on this game! Katy already knows about it, but I thought we should post it here, too, in case anyone here on Lemma wants to take a look. The video here is Day 1 of the game, but we've also got Day 2 up, and the other in-game Days will be up in the future. :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Katy133 »

The series has been completed now, so I'll list the videos for the viewer's convenience:

Intro, Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Epilogue

Closing Thoughts
ImageImage

Hoosha
Regular

#26 Post by Hoosha »

^^ That was so quaint. I loved the goofy childish art style and the story was eccentric and fun too. I wish the 'romance' was a little MORE though..

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#27 Post by sasquatchii »

Wow, I just finished it & really loved it :)

ITS SO CUTE!! Oh my gosh, the art really complimented the story and it was basically eye candy for me throughout. I also thought the writing and music were great. The music I thought was really impressive & well done and fit really well with what was happening in the story.

2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
Morwenna & Alicia! They were both pretty likeable and awesome.

To be honest I struggled to differentiate Terri & Arthur (I thought Terri was male!) and when the game gave me the option to call one I just chose randomly. They both seem very nice, but neither stood out to me as individuals, I just sorta lumped em together as Nigel's friends/coworkers who are nice.

Morwenna, obviously! (I got her ending without even trying) I'm cool that the ending just sort of left me hanging to imagine things for myself.
I was kinda hoping that Morwenna would realize the meaning of life is different for everyone, but a big part of it (for some) is connecting with family & friends and being a part of a community. And that she would also stick around :( Is that too cheesy/too much to ask for?
It's great! I can't wait to see what you put out next. To be honest your game inspired me to keep pushing with my SuNoFes entry that I'm currently working on. My art style is also not what you traditionally see in VN's, and it's really encouraging to see others with different styles bringing something new to the table.

4. Which character ending did you get first? Were you trying to get another ending? Did you replay the game to get the other endings?
Morwenna's ending!! I wasn't aiming for any specific ending or person, just making choices the way I normally would and going along with whatever happens. I actually really liked that her ending left things open ended, it seems like there might be another story yet! Also, I normally don't replay VN's to see different character endings unless I get a really horrible/unsatisfying ending or the game is just super addicting to play for whatever reason.

Nope! Everything made sense to me. I think there are things that could be elaborated on- I want more details on the dinosaur alien race & how Morwenna fixed her arm!

Maybe a codex/dictionary type of thing that is optional but not necessary to read integrated within the menu? Icebound's codex was done exceptionally well and in stories like these I sometimes find myself wishing for some backstory/extra info :)

Anyways, that was my two cents! I really had fun and enjoyed the story (the mini story you could read to Alicia about the dinosaur artist WAS SO CUTE)!! Really looking forward to your future works.
ImageImage

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by philip »

Just finished going through this - found it very well done and enjoyable - got the Morwenna end. Then of course I hadda go back and play the Terri arc. Good job!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#29 Post by Haze »

Katy133 wrote:The series has been completed now, so I'll list the videos for the viewer's convenience:

Intro, Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Epilogue

Closing Thoughts
Thanks for putting the videos here, Katy! I'd also like to add that the Epilogue also includes Morwenna's path-- we went for that path after Terri's.

Overall, Norbez and I really enjoyed 3 Guys That Paint, though there were some problems with the plot when it comes to the romance. If you want to see our thoughts in full, I highly recommend you look at our videos. :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#30 Post by paradigmshifty »

I finally played TGTP this weekend and it was a great story, supported by really nice art.

I thought from the art that this would be something like a slice-of-life story and focus mostly on relationships of the main characters. I didn't expect a lot of the plot which was great :)

Before playing I didn't have any particular interest or skepticism. After playing I'd say that Alicia was really well written and the dialogue from all the characters felt realistic.

I thought I'd go for Morwenna, but for some reason I decided not to!

I thought I wasn't going to have strong opinions one way or another, but during playing I felt it worked very well indeed, I'd happily play more VNs with a similar art style. It was expressive and different and I think that's why I enjoyed it.

Arthur. I'm going to play again and experience the Morwenna route.

I can't think of anything from my playthrough.

6. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!
Thank you for surprising me with the story! From the title and art I was not at all expecting the plot this game had and that made me very happy :D
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique