Target: Valentino [RPG][CrimeFighting][NaNo2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

Target: Valentino [RPG][CrimeFighting][NaNo2015]

#1 Post by sendo »

ABOUT:
Target: Valentino is a crime fighting tactical turn-based RPG. The game follows the characters Randal and Emi as they try to bring down a notorious crime lord named Valentino. Will they be able to bring this criminal to justice?

GAMEPLAY:
Target: Valentino is primarily an RPG, not a Visual Novel. The bulk of the gameplay is battling various criminals, and ultimately, Valentino and his goons. Winning battles earn you money, which you can spend on weapons and items, or training the heroes to improve their stats and abilities.

FEATURES:
  • Tactical Turn-Based Battle System
  • Inventory and Shop System
  • Simple Map Navigation System
  • Jazz music! Go on a killing spree with class :^)
  • A useless day/time system
KNOWN BUGS (aka I ran out of time to debug these):
  • Cause: Save after closing the inventory or the 'train' menu. Effect: Upon loading the save file, a 'ghost' inventory shows up. Fix: Hover over an icon in the map to fix this. It's a screen glitch (due to bad coding), but it shouldn't crash the game.
  • Cause: Saving when someone is talking in the map. Effect: Upon loading the save file, you cannot interact with anything EXCEPT the inventory button. Fix: Just click on the inventory button to fix this. Again, bad coding.
  • Inventory having empty spaces in between items. No quickfix because I used a wrong approach to displaying the items.
MISCELLANY:
  • This is my 2nd nanoreno attempt. I joined nano2014 but my project(a fantasy rpg) ultimately ended as a failure because I overestimated my skills. Now, a year later, I've used all the things I've learned to just create something. I'm really proud of what I've accomplished! ^^)9
  • This game is heavily inspired by an old game called Crime Fighter.
  • Massive amounts of coffee were consumed in the making of this project.
  • The title was conceived after getting 80% into the project.
  • Development officially started in the 2nd week of March because I was juggling 2 other nano ideas. I spent at least 8 hours a day, everyday to finish this. I had to take a couple days off though, because of stress.
  • I reused some of my code for this project, but 90% of the game was created and developed during nanoreno.
  • The story(excuse plot?) changed at least 3 times in the period of development. It was initially a drama between two rival gangs, then I changed it to a 'rise from the bottom' type of story, but finally dumbed it down to a 'Find this guy, kill him'.
  • It is now 4am and I must sleep
DOWNLOAD LINK(finally!):
Now on itch.io!: http://itch.io/jam/nanoreno-2015/rate/21915

Comments, feedback, critiques, bug reports are all welcome and appreciated! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy playing! ^.^
Sendo signing out going to sleep~
Last edited by sendo on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Target: Valentino [RPG][CrimeFighting][NaNo2015]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Can't wait to try it out :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#3 Post by Alte »

Awesome! :D
I always find jazz music so entertaining, great selection!
I got a gameover on my first try, then soon realized I forgot to save. D:
The second attempt I came unprepared on the second threat level by the Firearms & Range.
Third try, I barely succeed although I don't have enough cash for upgrades. :' )
I have fun nonetheless, the learning curve was reminiscent.

Edit:
Played through the end. :)
I'm not much into the plot rather curious about the RPG elements, it works as it suppose to.
Amazing work on the graphics, the backgrounds for support locations reminds me of postcards by the GUI aesthetics.
I noticed that Minimart, Hotel, and Firearms & Range doesn't have a tooltip label like the enemy icons when highlighted. (It's no biggie.)

Congratulations on finishing NaNoRenO.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

sendo
Veteran

#4 Post by sendo »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Can't wait to try it out :)
Thanks for checking it out ^-^
Alte wrote:Awesome!
I always find jazz music so entertaining, great selection!
I got a gameover on my first try, then soon realized I forgot to save. D:
The second attempt I came unprepared on the second threat level by the Firearms & Range.
Third try, I barely succeed although I don't have enough cash for upgrades. :' )
I have fun nonetheless, the learning curve was reminiscent.
I'm glad you still find it fun despite the learning curve. I only wanted to introduce the basic controls to the player. I think it's fun to let the player learn the mechanics on their own rather than spoonfeeding everything. And yeah I love jazz music and I felt that it was fitting for the game ^^ I was meaning to add more but I wanted keep the file size small.
Alte wrote:Edit:
Played through the end.
I'm not much into the plot rather curious about the RPG elements, it works as it suppose to.
Amazing work on the graphics, the backgrounds for support locations reminds me of postcards by the GUI aesthetics.
I noticed that Minimart, Hotel, and Firearms & Range doesn't have a tooltip label like the enemy icons when highlighted. (It's no biggie.)

Congratulations on finishing NaNoRenO.
Yes I made sure the meat of the game works as flawlessly as I could. I think I spent at least 60% of the whole development time in the RPG elements alone. And yeah the plot was just to serve as an excuse for the gameplay. But I'm just making excuses - my amateur writing skills need a ton of work ^^;. I actually wanted to collaborate with a writer with this, but considering I started a little late and I didn't have a final solid outline for the plot, I thought it would be hard to find an interested and reliable writer to help me.

Glad you like the graphics! I had fun drawing the art and I really had a blast coming up with GUI animations. I think at one point I wanted to add tooltips for the Hotel and etc but I thought their icons were visual enough to convey what the icon means. But now that I look at it, I think I should have added the tooltip anyway so that the icons all behave the same way.

And yay someone other than me finished it! Thanks for playing and for your feedback! : D
Finished VNs:
Image Image

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#5 Post by AntiquedFae »

I'm far from an amazing RPG player but this looks too interesting not to try! I'm not expecting I'll be able to finish it, but I really want to try it. We'll see how it goes!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

sendo
Veteran

#6 Post by sendo »

Thanks a lot AntiquedFae! Have fun and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it ^-^
Finished VNs:
Image Image

zaku

#7 Post by zaku »

i played this game.
this is a potential good tactics game.
but, this game is too easy.

and, i wish more route and storys.

any way, way to go.
ps. sorry my english skill.
Attachments
my idea of game over scene.
my idea of game over scene.

sendo
Veteran

#8 Post by sendo »

zaku wrote:i played this game.
this is a potential good tactics game.
but, this game is too easy.

and, i wish more route and storys.
Glad you think so!

Yeah once you figure out the mechanics, it's actually quite easy to beat the game hehe. Even the hard enemies are not so hard at all.

Thankfully, this is a NaNoRenO project so I can conveniently put all the blame into "not enough time" XD

I'm really happy that you're interested in this! I definitely want to continue this one way or another, I mean I really enjoyed making it :'D. But I'm also helping out with several other projects that I can't just dump (I had to set them aside just so I can do Nano). I guess we'll just see what the future holds, but you can definitely expect to see more from me ^-^
zaku wrote:ps. sorry my english skill.
Not a problem at all. That game over screen idea looks pretty neat, thanks a lot!
Finished VNs:
Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#9 Post by YossarianIII »

zaku wrote:but, this game is too easy.

Hmm... I must be fairly bad because I definitely got a few game overs. :)

I actually thought the combat and flow of the game were well-balanced. And all the GUI stuff was great!

Once you get the hang of the combat, it does turn into "grinding" a little bit, and as you mentioned, the story is mostly just an excuse for the gameplay.

But overall, I really enjoyed this and thought it all came together nicely, especially for a NaNo project. The central gameplay mechanics were solid.

Best of luck with future projects, sendo!

Image Image

sendo
Veteran

#10 Post by sendo »

YossarianIII wrote:Hmm... I must be fairly bad because I definitely got a few game overs.

I actually thought the combat and flow of the game were well-balanced. And all the GUI stuff was great!

Once you get the hang of the combat, it does turn into "grinding" a little bit, and as you mentioned, the story is mostly just an excuse for the gameplay.

But overall, I really enjoyed this and thought it all came together nicely, especially for a NaNo project. The central gameplay mechanics were solid.

Best of luck with future projects, sendo!
Thanks a lot! Playtesting the game to hell was worth it hehehe ^-^

I hope the grind wasn't that bad! I originally planned more features so that there's variation in gameplay (like different winning conditions, using the day time system for timed missions). I actually wanted the upgrades to be part of 'story missions' (Chad was supposed to be recruited at some point) but yeah I couldn't make them all in time x-x.

I'm glad you enjoyed it nonetheless! And thank you so much for your support, it really means a lot to me! ;_;
Finished VNs:
Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#11 Post by YossarianIII »

sendo wrote: hope the grind wasn't that bad!
It wasn't too bad for a game of this length, since you're learning the play mechanics and seeing new enemies at a relatively steady rate. Part of it may have been me forgetting to save!

In any case, if you ever did something longer, it sounds like you have some interesting ideas for features to mix combat up, like day/night and win conditions...

Image Image

sendo
Veteran

#12 Post by sendo »

YossarianIII wrote:
sendo wrote: hope the grind wasn't that bad!
It wasn't too bad for a game of this length, since you're learning the play mechanics and seeing new enemies at a relatively steady rate. Part of it may have been me forgetting to save!

In any case, if you ever did something longer, it sounds like you have some interesting ideas for features to mix combat up, like day/night and win conditions...
Great to hear that! :D

I do have a longer game in development (hell) right now, but it's not this. It's something I've been working on On and Off for a while now (it's where I pulled my map navigation system from that I reused for this Nano). Everything is still largely a work-in-progress though, mostly because I've been working for other people (my savings is almost dried up because I didn't work for March a ha ha :'D) and helping out in a few cool projects, but in summary it's a fantasy SRPG like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Alte has been cooking up another game jam so maybe I could enter it there, or maybe not, I kinda want it to be polished. But I really don't know hehe ^^;. For the meantime, I'm trying to level up my writing skills so that I'll have something people can actually read, I hope ^-^
Finished VNs:
Image Image