Palinurus (Remastered) Release on Steam, December 9th, 2016!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Electromancer
Regular
Completed: A New and Beautiful World [Ludum Dare 30], Lull [Ludum Dare 31], Palinurus [NaNoRenO 2015], Seeds of Sylvia [Secret Santa 2015], Fare Thee Well [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Republic of Stories
Organization: Freelance

Palinurus (Remastered) Release on Steam, December 9th, 2016!

#1 Post by Electromancer »

Story
A drifting traveler boards a one-man space shuttle destined for Alpha Centauri. This shuttle is piloted by Budapest, an artificial intelligence program designed to serve humanity. She is a hardworking, diligent program, just a little naïve to the ways of the universe, and intensely dedicated to her directive. But when disaster unexpectedly befalls their ship, the two of them are sent careening through uncharted space, left with dire prospects for rescue. Stuck in a floating cockpit drifting through the empty ocean of stars, they have only each other to rely on. Between interesting discoveries both old and new, Budapest quickly develops new traits and quirks beyond her programming. As she attempts to navigate her own troubled seas, the passenger discovers that there is more to this program than what was expected.
Characters
The Passenger -- A mysterious drifter who spends his time traveling around the galaxy, looking for work and profit wherever his fate may take him.

Budapest -- A Personal Navigator artificial intelligence created by Titan Transportation Solutions, Budapest is the pilot of the Passenger's coming shuttle flight.

ImageImageImageImage
Team
Since we decided to participate in the jam two weeks ago, various members of Watercress Studios (http://www.reddit.com/r/avitus), a team of many developers from many different places who are currently making an original visual novel named "Avitus," have volunteered their time throughout this month to contribute to the development of Palinurus. The full and complete credits are included within the game!
DOWNLOAD
Palinurus can be downloaded and played for Windows, Mac, and Linux here: http://watercress-studios.itch.io/palinurus

Watercress Studios has had an amazing time working on this project, and we hope that you will all enjoy playing it
STEAM GREENLIGHT
Hello everyone!

The remastered edition of Palinurus, compiled for its one year anniversary, is now currently facing the Steam Greenlight process.

Please, please, please consider checking us out and voting for us if you would like!

Thank you all very sincerely and very much for showing your interest in our project.

Greenlight Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =621971158

Steam Trailer: https://youtu.be/7qYayuB_XVg
Last edited by Electromancer on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

Re: Palinurus (SciFi, Romance, BxAI, Kinetic) [NaNoRenO2015]

#2 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

This was my first time working on a visual novel for realsies. I was a co-writer and co-coder and I gotta say the NaNoRenO thing taught me a lot and provided a lot of great experience in how developing a VN goes. We had a relatively big detachment working on it and we rallied hard to make the deadline and stay the course. Working under Electro was a joy, and I was glad I was able to make his vision a reality in whatever capacity I could. We're really proud of our finished product.

I never thought I'd end up doing coding work, but I went a little crazy with sprites. Over 150+ unique sprites to code in, but I'm pretty happy with the end product; a very expressive AI!

I hope you guys enjoy reading Palinurus! It's roughly 1.5-2 hours, with no decisions to make.
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

Electromancer
Regular
Completed: A New and Beautiful World [Ludum Dare 30], Lull [Ludum Dare 31], Palinurus [NaNoRenO 2015], Seeds of Sylvia [Secret Santa 2015], Fare Thee Well [NaNoRenO 2016]

#3 Post by Electromancer »

By the way everyone, we've updated the itch.io page to include the v1.1 download, which contains typo fixes and various small edits; it makes the experience better, I swear.

Also, the Android release is now up and available for download! Enjoy!
Student activist. Son of immigrants. Published poet, author. Young but experienced freelance writer at $0.05/word, DM for portfolio. Buddhist. BLM.

Allen`
IRC Nick: Allen`
Github: FM1337

#4 Post by Allen` »

This was a beautifully designed game.

The story brought tears to my eyes (which caused my head to hurt, (when I cry my head hurts dunno why and probably will never know why)) it was a sad story and I genuinely feel bad for the AI.

I would recommend this game to my friends and well as my heart is aching as I type this, I just want to say;

Thank you to everyone involved in the making of this novel, it was amazingly done and I'd definitely would replay it and I can't wait to see what's in store for the future.

-Allen

(Overall I gave this game a 9.75 / 10)

Electromancer
Regular

#5 Post by Electromancer »

Thanks for the kind words, Allen! They mean a lot.

Where did you hear about us, by the way? You don't seem to have had a Lemmasoft account until now.
Student activist. Son of immigrants. Published poet, author. Young but experienced freelance writer at $0.05/word, DM for portfolio. Buddhist. BLM.

princessgardinia

#6 Post by princessgardinia »

This looks nice, and Allen seems similar to me. Many ages ago, I would just bookmark projects I wanted to keep track of to my computer. One day, however, one glorious project touched me in a way that I NEEDED to comment on, so I finally bit the bullet and made an account. Don't hate Allen! He was merely a shadowy lurker, now stepped into the light!

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

#7 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

princessgardinia wrote:This looks nice, and Allen seems similar to me. Many ages ago, I would just bookmark projects I wanted to keep track of to my computer. One day, however, one glorious project touched me in a way that I NEEDED to comment on, so I finally bit the bullet and made an account. Don't hate Allen! He was merely a shadowy lurker, now stepped into the light!
We're just happy to make friends with enthusiasts. I'm especially happy our story was able to touch someone so deeply.

Hope you enjoy Palinurus! You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll spot typos and feel just a little bit more accomplished you found them!
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

Allen`
IRC Nick: Allen`
Github: FM1337

#8 Post by Allen` »

Electromancer wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Allen! They mean a lot.

Where did you hear about us, by the way? You don't seem to have had a Lemmasoft account until now.
from the renpy irc channel on espernet. heard about it from one of the developers and I was bored so I decided to try it.

Electromancer
Regular

#9 Post by Electromancer »

A small announcement! At 9PM Eastern Daylight Time, today (11 April 2015), Watercress Studios will be streaming Palinurus on our official Twitch account (http://www.twitch.tv/WatercressStudios), accompanied by a live commentary panel composed of the developers! We're also thinking of streaming more NaNoRenO games afterwards.

It's going to be fun! If anyone's interested, feel free to drop in and say "hi."

TheForeverLoneWolf
Regular
Completed: Lull, Palinurus, Seeds of Sylvia, Fare Thee Well, Our Home., Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!, Cautionary Tale, Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World Conquest!!, this was for you., A Field of Flowers and Stars.
Projects: Avitus, Missing Stars
Organization: Watercress, Somnova Studios, Imagibeat Studio
itch: watercress

Re: Palinurus (SciFi, Romance, BxG, Kinetic) [NaNoRenO2015]

#10 Post by TheForeverLoneWolf »

Hey guys, I'm Wolf, Watercress Studio's Director, and I have a little announcement to make!

We at Watercress are attempting to reunite the Palinurus team in order to deliver a remastered version of the game. This will include new music, art assets, and more! We sincerely loved the development process of the game, and we enjoyed every bit of feedback we have received over the past few months. We will listen to much of the feedback and use it to improve the game!

In fact, we wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone had any suggestions or problems with the game that they feel we could address in this new update. All criticism is welcome!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

My feelings on this are ... mixed? I really liked the original, and while polishing is nice (and something Mugen and myself did for Moonlight Walks), I worry about the loss of the original. For MW, I left the original in as an unlock in the revised version - I hope you consider doing the same thing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

TheForeverLoneWolf
Regular
Completed: Lull, Palinurus, Seeds of Sylvia, Fare Thee Well, Our Home., Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!, Cautionary Tale, Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World Conquest!!, this was for you., A Field of Flowers and Stars.
Projects: Avitus, Missing Stars
Organization: Watercress, Somnova Studios, Imagibeat Studio
itch: watercress

#12 Post by TheForeverLoneWolf »

We completely understand. We are not going to erase the original, we plan to have the original embedded within the remaster.

Don't worry ;D I myself like the original, and would hate for it to get buried. Different people will like different versions, and we respect that :P

Karl_C
Veteran

#13 Post by Karl_C »

A well written, very nice story.

Thank you for releasing it!

kkdecara

#14 Post by kkdecara »

Bitter...so bitter....
I ..., don't know if i can post here but i must and want to say somewhere..., that this
moved me...i am... heartbroken
this was so sad....so bittersweet...., i'd say i wish'd for a happy ending (and i'd be lying if i said otherwise), but i guess maybe that's where the magic of the story is..
you guys did great and i want to thank you so much, the humble opinion of a random player is that this was a very ... don't know how to put it... so emotional, very touching experience.
Seriously, i will not say it's a masterpiece, it's flawless, i'm not judging neither logically nor artistically thinking. I'm just speaking of what i've been left with after playing this... and all the flow of feelings, of reflections... , i'm very thankful for the experience you, Watercress Studios people, have brought me.

I'll not get into detail of the supposed ending or how many possibilities there are, or of questions and wishes as many as there are stars in the sky...
...but, you know, it's strange (or maybe not so much), but i'm left with this melancholic, nostalgic, feeling of missing someone, or something...

I don't know if my words sound like praise to you, but if you somehow aimed to touch the person behind the screen with this, deeply, you made it with me
Btw everything is in spoiler because it IS a spoiler

Electromancer
Regular

#15 Post by Electromancer »

Thank you very much for the kind words!