Perceptions of the Dead - [NanoReno15] [Horror][Action]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

Perceptions of the Dead - [NanoReno15] [Horror][Action]

#1 Post by Geckos »

Perceptions of the Dead
Part 2 of the Acolyte's Path
Created by Ithaqua Labs

Tyrone has been hunting ghosts for four years, and he’s gotten pretty good at it.
He knows when his intervention is needed and when all a haunt needs is time to pass on.
Life is looking up when he’s called to investigate the home of a wealthy family with a possible haunting.
What at first appears to be only a benign spirit quickly turns deadly when he discovers there are a great deal many more things going on in this house than he thought.

This project is voiced by:
Justice Washington - as Tyrone
Mel Gorsha - as Tulip
Heidi Tabing - as Ripley
Josh Putnam (Khenpoe) - as Marcus

Music by Caelem
And sound effects by Annie Quinn, Caelem and Sita Duncan
This game contains some scenes with mild violence and blood, as well as mild cursing.
It features 2 endings.

The game contains 342 dialogue blocks, containing 3,943 words and 20,579
characters, for an average of 11.5 words and 60 characters per block.

The game contains 4 menus, 76 images, and 14 screens.

Android version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... erceptions
PerceptionsoftheDead-1.0-mac.zip
(53.65 MiB) Downloaded 196 times
PerceptionsoftheDead-1.0-linux.tar.bz2
(56.71 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
PerceptionsoftheDead-1.0-win.zip
(55.63 MiB) Downloaded 837 times
Attachments
PerceptionsoftheDead-1.0-all.zip
(71.48 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
screenie_4.jpg
screenie_3.jpg
screenie_2.jpg
screenie_1.jpg
Last edited by Geckos on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Image ImageImage

csky
Regular
Completed: Perceptions of the Dead, Embers of Magic
Projects: Various Commissioned Artwork

Re: Perceptions of the Dead - [NanoReno15] [Horror]

#2 Post by csky »

I am honoured to have been part of the team to work on this project (as composer), and Geckos and Nyo really delivered professionally, creating a high quality project with fantastic voice acting. The interface and effects are simple but effective, leaving one completely immersed!

It may be part two but it also plays really well as a stand alone game, so I really recommend you play. Thank you everyone who worked on this, including voice actors who I never met but were fantastic anyway.

:!:

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Congratulations on your release! I can't wait to play. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck

#4 Post by Geckos »

@csky
It was really awesome working with you! Hopefully we can find something to collaborate on in the future as well.

@Mad Harlequin
Thanks! Looking forward to what you think about it! :3
Image ImageImage

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

Re: Perceptions of the Dead - [NanoReno15] [Horror][Action]

#5 Post by Alte »

The voices are fairly well done.
At the beginning scene with the TV chatter, the narration sounded like he's muffling when the noise from the TV collided. (I waited til the sound fades.)
There's so many motion, I enjoy every advantage of the effects being used accordingly.
Presentation format reminds me of a graphic novel, though I don't read much of them. I find it fascinating in novel games and effective.

Are the music and sounds louder than the voice? From the default setting with all of them at full, I suspect the voice should go through without hearing a whisper. (It could be just me)
About the endings, is it linear by any chance? The difference I get is variations whether Tulip is with Tyrone or not. Ripley's dialogue remains unchanged either way.
I find both parts of the story enjoyable.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

csky
Regular
Completed: Perceptions of the Dead, Embers of Magic
Projects: Various Commissioned Artwork

#6 Post by csky »

Alte wrote:
Are the music and sounds louder than the voice? From the default setting with all of them at full, I suspect the voice should go through without hearing a whisper. (It could be just me).
I balanced out most of the music, but I know there was this one part where it did get a little loud, however I had run out of time to fix it, and was hoping it was just my headphones. It seems it was not.

And in regard to the endings, Geckos would tell you those are the only two.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

It stopped at the part where the ghost appears in his room.
I'm actually confused. Is it completed?
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Ulalaria
Regular
Completed: Faust: Scene II, Queen At Arms, Rosewater
Projects: The Owl-Woman Oracle
Tumblr: meagantrott

#8 Post by Ulalaria »

Hey! I really enjoyed playing this. I feel like horror VNs are pretty rare, and even rarer are ones that do it well. Perceptions of the Dead was pretty awesome. Great art, great voice acting, fun story, and really polished for a NanoReno game! Anyway, congrats on the release!

Geckos
Veteran

#9 Post by Geckos »

Alte wrote:The voices are fairly well done.
At the beginning scene with the TV chatter, the narration sounded like he's muffling when the noise from the TV collided. (I waited til the sound fades.)
There's so many motion, I enjoy every advantage of the effects being used accordingly.
Presentation format reminds me of a graphic novel, though I don't read much of them. I find it fascinating in novel games and effective.

Are the music and sounds louder than the voice? From the default setting with all of them at full, I suspect the voice should go through without hearing a whisper. (It could be just me)
About the endings, is it linear by any chance? The difference I get is variations whether Tulip is with Tyrone or not. Ripley's dialogue remains unchanged either way.
I find both parts of the story enjoyable.
Yea, the tv chatter clip could probably be taken down a notch or two and benefit. Not sure I care to reupload the entire game for it, though.
As for the presentation of the screen, that was half for fun and to try something new, and half because I wanted to upload it for Android. Glad you like that format!

I think that the voice should be kept at 75%, music and sound at 50% probably. I figured people could set it themselves and I sort of ran out of time before looking into how to set it myself for any first time game players.
Ya, the difference is Tulip surviving instead of being destroyed and you finding out who she is.
AsHLeX wrote:
It stopped at the part where the ghost appears in his room.
I'm actually confused. Is it completed?
Indeed it is completed! That's just an introduction for the next game, the meat of the game is what comes before, and which ending you get.
Ulalaria wrote:Hey! I really enjoyed playing this. I feel like horror VNs are pretty rare, and even rarer are ones that do it well. Perceptions of the Dead was pretty awesome. Great art, great voice acting, fun story, and really polished for a NanoReno game! Anyway, congrats on the release!
I'm glad you liked it! I agree that it can be hard to make or find decent horror type visual novels, but it was a fun endeavor to try it out for this event. Definitely a worthwhile experiment, and hopefully people enjoy it as much as we did making it.
Image ImageImage

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#10 Post by AsHLeX »

Oh, I see!
Good game then :) Art is good and I like the way it was designed (fit nicely on my phone lol). The voice acting was really good too :) And the fact that it's a NanoReno... :D
Really love it
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#11 Post by Anne »

The art is great, the ghosts look very cool and (for whatever reason) I really liked Tyrone's eye color. The story did feel unfinished but I was really enjoying it (even though I'm not into horror) until it sudddenly ended, well, guess I'll have to wait till the next game.

Geckos
Veteran

#12 Post by Geckos »

AsHLeX wrote:Oh, I see!
Good game then :) Art is good and I like the way it was designed (fit nicely on my phone lol). The voice acting was really good too :) And the fact that it's a NanoReno... :D
Really love it
Thank you! The voice acting was fun but a ton of work. I'm glad you liked it.
Anne wrote:The art is great, the ghosts look very cool and (for whatever reason) I really liked Tyrone's eye color. The story did feel unfinished but I was really enjoying it (even though I'm not into horror) until it sudddenly ended, well, guess I'll have to wait till the next game.
:3 I like lavender for his eye color, too. Lol ya sorry it was so short, but that's the only reason we decider to put voice acting in. In the end I think it turned out well, even if it was short because of that and nanoreno.
Thanks so much for playing and leaving feed back!
Image ImageImage

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#13 Post by Godline »

The sounds and voices were really great, and the music! :) Everything looked really great but I echo Anne that it seemed like the art was above and beyond but it was too short.
Not just that but I felt the story let down the other assets
because of the whole 'is he a ghost, isn't he a ghost' thing seems done to death and I'm not seeing anything new or fresh yet in this.
It's not that there isn't a potential story there, but in something so short it just isn't there yet. It's left wanting.

Which is too bad, because I hate seeing VNs that have the potential for greatness as far as art/music/assets and then get let down by the story (it's the writer/editor in me). I'll be keeping my eye out though, because I still believe there is potential there for twists and turns in a longer version. :)

I know what you mean about voice acting though, it is a ton of work but you guys did it so well!

(Though just to say, if you haven't had the luxury of getting to focus just on writing, eg. if it was the artist/voice actor or musician doing the writing - I can totally understand how not as much got done because so much effort was put into everything else - so it's cool! It's still a visually great VN).

octacon100
Regular
Projects: Regeria Hope
Organization: Golden Game Barn
IRC Nick: Octacon100

#14 Post by octacon100 »

This is really well done, the camera movement and voice acting really brings you into the story. All the graphics, sound and GUI are top notch. Looking forward to an expanded story, to see what you can do with this set up.
Current Digital Projects -
Regiera Hope Completed Game Forum Post

Geckos
Veteran

#15 Post by Geckos »

octacon100 wrote:This is really well done, the camera movement and voice acting really brings you into the story. All the graphics, sound and GUI are top notch. Looking forward to an expanded story, to see what you can do with this set up.
Thank you! We hope to work on Chapter 3 sometime in the relatively near future.
Image ImageImage