Binary Distortion [Kinetic][Slice of Life][NaNoReno2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
rjayne

Binary Distortion [Kinetic][Slice of Life][NaNoReno2015]

#1 Post by rjayne »

A glitch trash kinetic novel about growing up transgender.
[Adult Only / Mature Issues][Solo][Slice of Life][1280x960]
Summary
Binary Distortion is a solo kinetic novel by yours truly, and it's little off the beaten path, in terms of visual novels so I hope it's okay to present it here. The game plays in a slightly abstract stream-of-consciousness style with both characters and settings drifting in and out of the story as it progresses. It is broken up into segments which deal with different themes such as childhood, school, relationships and depression.

The art style, likewise, is a little different, as it's made up of glitched / hexed collages that were sourced online and then modified, altered, and digitally databent to produce interesting effects that I felt added more to the overall project / specific idea trying to be explored. I tried to include a lot of movement and ended up with almost 400 unique databent frames.

Music was provided by a very talented friend @h34rken, and the game contains several ambient, atmospheric slightly industrial glitch tracks from it's recent releases, which are available for purchase in full quality here.
Completed! I was able to finish up and complete the project within the month, and considering it's my first VN, I'm quite proud of the finished product (even though it's very rough around the edges). I'd love to hear what people think.

Screenshots:

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

Re: Binary Distortion [Kinetic][Slice of Life][NaNoReno2015]

#2 Post by paradigmshifty »

That was probably the most powerful game I've played. Excellent work. I loved everything - especially all the glitch.
I'll definitely play this again and check out your other games.
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

#3 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

Haunting, commanding, and powerful. It's incredibly unique and I think the effort into animating the glitches was incredibly well-executed. Everyone should experience this, there's nothing else like it, especially not from this round of NaNoRenO.

Incredible stuff. I was entranced all the way through.
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

rjayne

#4 Post by rjayne »

Thank you so much for the kind words, and thank you for playing my little creation, it means a lot.

Carassaurat
Veteran

#5 Post by Carassaurat »

Well, that was the most thought-provoking VN I've read in a while. Or possibly the most though-provoking one I've played in general. I'm really quite glad you've shared it with us. The surgery scene, in particular, is quite disturbing. It's a shame that the glitch style doesn't come across too well on screenshots -- in some ways, it's even off-putting and looks a bit cheap here, but in motion it's not just intricately made, but wondrously effective. Even the menu being a bit of a pain to navigate becomes thematic, in a way. You know, when I was writing a visual novel about visual novel writing a few years ago, I had my protagonist remark that she had yet to see an autobiographical VN made. Now, I don't doubt there have been some before, but this is the first I've come across and that alone makes it feel quite special.

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#6 Post by yuucie »

I just played this today. Your style of writing is so beautiful and reflective. It was a profoundly deep and sometimes emotional experience. I also found the surgery scene to be painfully disturbing, not just in imagery but understanding just how much it'll all cost (financially and physically) just to feel like yourself. Also, a lot of the things people say to you was hurtful.
I think it was insensitive of those girls to talk of the experience of menstration as a bother, and I felt hurt that they would say that to you. Of course I can't speak for anyone, but it felt like such a callous comment to throw casually. To each their own, I suppose.
I love the aesthetic of the game as well; it all seems so shattered, like things that were meant to be right but in reality, weren't at all.

Thank you for sharing such a personal game.

I think my only thing with the game is the bleeping whenever people spoke (or when sentences are typing out). I found it a bit distracting, so I had to turn it off completely. This is a personal preference, of course. I'm sure other people found it fine. In any case, it's a very beautiful game; the soundtrack is very nice as well. I liked having to click around the room and the moments of interactivity. Great game, I really did enjoy it, and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#7 Post by Smudgeed »

I think I may have typed out a response for this game at least five times before erasing it and deciding that no words sounded right. I just want to say that this game was genuinely very well put together and it got across its point very well. I would recommend this game to anyone browsing this forum right now. I wish there was more stuff like this out there.
The scene concerning the surgery was actually very hard for me to see and I had to cover up the screen while not covering the text. It was almost comical actually. I still loved it though, I think there's something to be taken away with that.
Great job! :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that the glitch aesthetic was very well done as well! When I was looking at the screenshots I thought "oh that can't possibly work or look nice" but it was utterly amazing. So everyone should know that those screenshots don't do the game justice! The game made me cry, it really did. Thank you for making this.