A Standard Mission [KN][Action/Comedy][NaNo2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TheDesman
Regular
Completed: Wildfire - Ticket to Rock, A Standard Mission

A Standard Mission [KN][Action/Comedy][NaNo2015]

#1 Post by TheDesman »

Two rival Contractors, mercenary spies-for-hire, cross paths during a mission where they are hunting for the same target.
Genre: Action with elements of comedy
Length: around 6k words.

This is our first finished visual novel. After making the mistake of starting a project way to big for us, we decided that it'd be nice to actually finish something. The result of that decision is this. It has been fun creating it and even though it did not turn into a full-fledged comedy, which we had at first planed for it to be, I still find it enjoyable. And I hope that you'll appreciate it as well

Plot:

Set in the early 90's Sensei is tasked with infiltrating the French foreign legion to steal intelligence about their recruits for the British government.
However during the mission he runs into his long time rival Lézard. After their encounter the mission becomes anything but standard as the two of them, being deep in hostile territory, soon find themselves having to worry about much more than each other.

Characters:
Codename: Sensei
Name: Classified
A man of Japanese origin with a bushy mustache he's very proud of. His main trait is his ability to absorb knowledge and a phenomenal memory. He will outsmart his opponents because he’s better prepared and because he can assess a situation faster.
He has never felt the need for friends but recently he has found himself anticipating the next time he and Lézard will run into each other.
Codename: Lézard
Name Classified
A Frenchman that has the uncanny ability to get anywhere. His specialties are wall-climbing and death-defying feats of parkour. He will best his opponents by arriving from unexpected directions and by disappearing down paths none thought traversable.
The love/hate-relationship between him and Sensei causes his emotions to be in constant turmoil as he fluctuates between respecting and loathing his rival.
Codename: Thorn
Name Classified

Downloads:
win:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ou4c ... .0-win.zip
mac:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/34c4w ... .0-mac.zip
linux:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5l8z ... ux.tar.bz2

Screenshots:

ImageImageImageImage
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

Re: A Standard Mission [KN][Action/Comedy][NaNo2015]

#2 Post by Sheridan »

Minor error in the Linux version (don't know if it affects the other builds): clicking "Options" on the main menu, viewing the credits, and then clicking "Return" causes the game to crash.
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 193, in script
python:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 197, in <module>
renpy.call_in_new_context("_main_menu")
File "renpy/common/00action_menu.rpy", line 97, in __call__
raise Exception("%r is not a screen or a label." % orig_screen)
Exception: 'main_menu2' is not a screen or a label.
But I just had to restart, so no big deal.

This was a fun read. I love that dry, matter-of-fact narrative style for over-the-top action.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

Sheridan wrote:Minor error in the Linux version (don't know if it affects the other builds): clicking "Options" on the main menu, viewing the credits, and then clicking "Return" causes the game to crash.
I can confirm that this is in the Mac build, too.

But other than that, I thought this game was great! I particularly liked
the last CG where Sensei and Lézard are drinking tea and wine together
The pacing and the scale of the story felt just right for NaNo. And I like the rivalry between the two central characters.

I did find the physical fighting slightly less compelling than the verbal fighting, since it's kind of hard to convey combat in a VN. Still, you all did a good job with sound effects and transitions for the fight scenes, particularly with the guns.

And the spy-themed UI is great--probably my favorite of the NaNo games I've seen so far.

Good work!

Image Image

TheDesman
Regular

#4 Post by TheDesman »

YossarianIII wrote: I did find the physical fighting slightly less compelling than the verbal fighting, since it's kind of hard to convey combat in a VN. Still, you all did a good job with sound effects and transitions for the fight scenes, particularly with the guns.
Yes, I agree on the fighting part. For a while we had longer and more extensive fighting, but we realized that it did not work in a visual novel. It could, but then you'd need a lot of CG's and we did not have the time for that.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#5 Post by YossarianIII »

TheDesman wrote:Yes, I agree on the fighting part. For a while we had longer and more extensive fighting, but we realized that it did not work in a visual novel. It could, but then you'd need a lot of CG's and we did not have the time for that.
Yes, that one fight where you used the CG was cool! I'd imagine a CG-filled approach could definitely work for a more combat-heavy story... it'd just be hell for the artist :lol:

Image Image

TheDesman
Regular

#6 Post by TheDesman »

YossarianIII wrote:
TheDesman wrote:Yes, I agree on the fighting part. For a while we had longer and more extensive fighting, but we realized that it did not work in a visual novel. It could, but then you'd need a lot of CG's and we did not have the time for that.
Yes, that one fight where you used the CG was cool! I'd imagine a CG-filled approach could definitely work for a more combat-heavy story... it'd just be hell for the artist :lol:

For a time we thought about using a method with smaller CG's, like we did with the handshake, where we could add close-ups of punches, weapons, eyes and other similar objects to spice things up. But as time went by we had to cut back on those as well.