The Blind Griffin [Historical] [Otome] [NaNoRenO 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: The Blind Griffin [Historical] [Otome] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#31 Post by Harliqueen »

What a stunning game! All the art was gorgeous and the GUI was incredible!

It was really well written, and such a clever idea with the speakeasy and the magicians :D

Gio was my favourite I think, but it was difficult to choose.

Brilliant game, and amazing what you guys achieved in so short a time!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Aurélie
Regular
Organization: Lyonesse

#32 Post by Aurélie »

I'm kind of super-confused about if I messed up on my first run or not (Emilio spoilers) —
I got the Rivals ending for Emilio, but I thought I.. picked.. all the right options? I chose him as mentor, told him I deserved respect and held his hand. AND YET. Like, I didn't get a CG. So I assume I messed up.

I'm not 100% sure how the endings work now aslfkfsdlg;f. Going to SOLDIER ON REGARDLESS.

I'm always impressed how well Cyanide-Tea (and Rins + Noyemi, here!) pulls off NaNoRenO. You really go the extra mile. And I love MC. And I love my beautiful dresses-over-groceries trans queen Marie. I love everyone in this speakeasy.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#33 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Aurélie wrote:I'm kind of super-confused about if I messed up on my first run or not (Emilio spoilers) —
I got the Rivals ending for Emilio, but I thought I.. picked.. all the right options? I chose him as mentor, told him I deserved respect and held his hand. AND YET. Like, I didn't get a CG. So I assume I messed up.
The mentor question is just to pick a route. There are then 3 questions on each route that decide which ending you get. You got 2/3 to get the Rival Ending. The one you didn't mention is the one that you might try the other answer for ;)

Aurélie
Regular
Organization: Lyonesse

#34 Post by Aurélie »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:
Aurélie wrote:I'm kind of super-confused about if I messed up on my first run or not (Emilio spoilers) —
The mentor question is just to pick a route. There are then 3 questions on each route that decide which ending you get. You got 2/3 to get the Rival Ending. The one you didn't mention is the one that you might try the other answer for ;)
Oh, I must've forgotten one of the choices! Thanks for letting me know.
Edit: That means I should think that his hatred is stupid? Aw, man, that makes me feel bad. Last time I said it made sense.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#35 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Aurélie wrote:Oh, I must've forgotten one of the choices! Thanks for letting me know.
Edit: That means I should think that his hatred is stupid? Aw, man, that makes me feel bad. Last time I said it made sense.
The Bad Ending probably makes the way that choice work make a lot of sense :)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#36 Post by Rinima »

My goodness I think I'm in love with Emilio <3 He's so adorable :3

EDIT:
Okay, I think I've played all the endings now.
Josh darn I think you may have be depressed over Emilo's bad ending for a while now. I already despise the death sentence as a non American, you made me hate it even more to the point I am actually struggling to type this cause I keep getting words mixed up and ---*censored*---
Last edited by Rinima on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Hoosha
Regular

#37 Post by Hoosha »

=] I'm using Windows 7 but I'm only borrowing this laptop so I haven't had a chance to try any other Renpy games on it yet

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#38 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Hoosha wrote:=] I'm using Windows 7 but I'm only borrowing this laptop so I haven't had a chance to try any other Renpy games on it yet
Thank you for answering :) If you get a chance, perhaps try one of the other Nano VNs to see if they are also laggy? It might be a graphic card issue with the laptop itself. I don't think we have had any other reports of laggy behaviour yet so it may be something out of date on the laptop, especially if Ren'Py VNs haven't been played on it before.

Pastel.Lulu
Tumblr: your-pop-punk-princess

#39 Post by Pastel.Lulu »

I'm also having problem with lag in the game, but I have a very old computer which also runs on Windows 7 so that must be the reason for the lag.
The game is still absolutely enjoyable though! So far I've only got the Rivals ending with Emilio and it was adorable, I can't wait to try out the other endings. I love the artwork and the dialogue, plus the plot is original and very well developed.
What does the heroine say in Chinese when she messes up the spell? I tried using google translate but the translation didn't have any sense.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#40 Post by Camille »

Aurélie wrote:Oh, I must've forgotten one of the choices! Thanks for letting me know.
Encouraging that aspect of his personality leads to some bad things. |D
qirien wrote:But... it doesn't snow in San Francisco (I grew up near there). Maybe 1" every 35 years... but the snow on the backgrounds is so beautiful, I can't complain too much! :D
Uhh.... Well... MAGIC. :'D
SkyBlueAzure wrote:In regards to Marie:
I think that you get to an inkling to what her specialization is in Gio's bad ending (Burned Out Hope). I may be wrong, but I think that her job is to remove people's memories who fail the test because they say to her that a) [Marie] has the hardest job and b) the protagonist asks Marie if [when you lose your memories] it hurts. So again, I could be wrong, but I think that her power is 'dark' magic because she removes memories and places them in the 'dark'.
Is that right (or maybe it's supposed to be super obvious and I'm just over thinking things), or are we going to be left in the dark forever?
You're going in the right direction. :3 But it's meant to be kind of mysterious.
Pastel.Lulu wrote:What does the heroine say in Chinese when she messes up the spell? I tried using google translate but the translation didn't have any sense.
Uhhh it's a curse word. Or a curse phrase, rather, haha.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#41 Post by qirien »

Ha ha, yeah, maybe it only snows right by the Blind Griffin so they can get more business! :-D Nice water magic...

I forgot to ask; what is written on Gio's tattoo on his arm? I can't quite make it out on my laptop screen...
Finished games:

Sionainn

#42 Post by Sionainn »

I really enjoyed this. The characters were really well done, and I was invested in each one of them, including Vivi and Marie. I loved the MC, I love MC's with personality and attitude, nothing makes me happier than seeing a MC with a backbone.
Visually the game was lovely to look at, I'm really partial to that time period so I loved the Jazz Age design of the characters.
I also just want to say that it is always nice to see some diversity in any medium and that the different backgrounds of the characters didn't feel shoehorned in, it felt true.
Alex was my favorite though, he's the type I usually veer towards in games like this. His bad ending was for me, the most upsetting and his good ending was awesome.

I'll stop babbling now, I just wanted to fangirl out for a second.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#43 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

qirien wrote:I forgot to ask; what is written on Gio's tattoo on his arm? I can't quite make it out on my laptop screen...
The tattoo reads 'A cane scottato l 'acqua fredda pare calda' which I think is an Italian proverb (I'm not Italian and I only had the Internet to guide me, my apologies if that is totally incorrect!)

I think the translation for it is 'To a scalded dog even cold water seems hot'. I guess the english equivalent might be something like 'once bitten, twice shy'.

Pastel.Lulu
Tumblr: your-pop-punk-princess

#44 Post by Pastel.Lulu »

Italian is my first language, the tattoo is correct!
Giovanni's Italian was perfect, the only mistake is that, when talking about the MC's age, it should be sei seria, and not serio, because serio is a masculine adjective and Gio is speaking to a girl.

Atavia

#45 Post by Atavia »

I loved this! All the guys were really good, but I think I liked Alexei the most. The only thing I wished to see was more opportunities for the main character to use her magic. But I know that it's pretty hard to add everything with the deadline. But you guys do great work!