The Merman's Captive[Fantasy][BxG][NaNoRenO 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

The Merman's Captive[Fantasy][BxG][NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Kingv »

I got a little Easter treat for everyone! No, it's not jelly beans...Why is everyone leaving? Come back!~
GENRE: Fantasy | Romance? | BxG | BxB
RATING: 13+ for mild blood, violence and language.
Original Nano Thread http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=25540
DOWNLOAD http://kingv.itch.io/the-mermans-captive

SYNOPSIS:
Cyn has always lead a pretty solitary lifestyle, never tending to worry much about anything, unless Sorren manages to get him wrapped up in some type of scheme. But when he's strapped for stones and in need of some fast cash, a seemingly easy retrieval job becomes much more than he bargained for. Now he's saddled with an insufferable mer who's only wish is to go home and get as far away from him as possible. The only way he's going to solve his problems is by selling the mer to the highest bidder. But can he really doom another soul to a fate he's been fighting against his whole life? Or will he finally give in and live up to his Noct heritage?

FEATURES:
-Female and Male Route
-9 different endings per character
-A morality meter that tracks the decisions you make

CAST:
castIcons.png
SCREENSHOTS:
screenshots.png
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

So glad to finally have this thing mostly complete. I started it back in March of 2014 for NaNoRenO but didn't manage to finish in time because of various reasons. Put it on hiatus for a year but thankfully manages to get one route done this year. Which is pretty surprising considering I took part in another group for NaNoRenO on top of tackling my own game.

The female route is just about finished, but is missing some finished CGs, which are just sketches for now. I'm also still waiting on writing for the male route so don't bother playing it just yet. Please let me know if anything's weird/glitchy. Honestly haven't had anyone bug test the final version and I'm sure I missed some things. I plan to go back and tighten things up so please excuse my dust.>_<

For now you can get the all versions download here http://kingv.itch.io/the-mermans-captiveand I'll upload the individual Linux, Mac and Windows files in another day or so since I'm going to try and get the filesize down.

Big thanks go out to and daikiraikimi for play testing my first buggy game build last year and suggesting loads of advice that I used to make the game better. And also Charlie599 for proofread and spell checking a lot of my script. Couldn't have done it without you guys! This is my first Ren'Py release but I really want to improve and go on to make better games. Questions and comments are welcome! I've put a few feedback questions below that'll help me as well.

1. Did you feel like the choices given were enough to shape Cyn into the character you wanted him to be?
2. Which character felt the most believable? The least?
3. What do you think could be improved upon game wise?
4. What would you like to see implemented in further releases?

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: The Merman's Captive[Fantasy][BxG][NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

Been so looking forward to this! Gonna download it right now :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Kingv
Veteran

#3 Post by Kingv »

Harliqueen wrote:Been so looking forward to this! Gonna download it right now :D
Great! Hope you enjoy playing it!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Congrats on reaching completion. :)

I'll leave feedback as soon as I'm able!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

So excited!!!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

victorita9
Regular

#6 Post by victorita9 »

I love it!
2.)I love Sorren. From the ending I saw, I love how he sticks to his morals no matter what. I also like Pops.
3.)Bigger font. It's tiny! I would warn that not every path leads to an ending. I can't be a total douche, and then do the right thing(though i can be nice and do the wrong thing!)

Kingv
Veteran

#7 Post by Kingv »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Congrats on reaching completion. :)

I'll leave feedback as soon as I'm able!
Thanks!Took me longer than expected but I'm glad I finally got there. And great, can't wait to hear what you think about it.
Hazel-Bun wrote:So excited!!!
Yay! Please enjoy it.
victorita9 wrote:I love it!
2.)I love Sorren. From the ending I saw, I love how he sticks to his morals no matter what. I also like Pops.
3.)Bigger font. It's tiny! I would warn that not every path leads to an ending. I can't be a total douche, and then do the right thing(though i can be nice and do the wrong thing!)
So glad to hear that!
Sorren is such a goof ball. I originally planned to have him show up more in the game but all the got cut to save time. He definitely stays true to what he thinks is right no matter what which is a good counterpoint to the potential ways players can develop Cyn. Glad you like Pops as well. ^^
Thanks for letting me know about the font! I'll make it a bit bigger for the next game update. The game has 9 different endings but only 3 epilogue scenes which only show up after the credits. Did you not get an image at the end that looked like the screenshot below? Some of your points might have tied in that case so I'll adjust the code with elif and else statements for the last bit of the game.

There's loads of way to play and I'm so glad you found one way that works for you. One thing I really liked is that there's really no right or wrong decision. Everyone is effected by your choices. And in the end either Cyn, Orla or Sorren will benefit or be destroyed by them.
Attachments
merEndCard.jpg

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#8 Post by Harliqueen »

1. Did you feel like the choices given were enough to shape Cyn into the character you wanted him to be?
I think so yes, it was nice to see him develop through out!

Hm, I thought they were all really good characters and well-developed. I adored Sorren!

Not much, to be honest! There were a couple of typos, but I barely noticed them because I was sucked into the story.

A brilliant game, I really enjoyed it, and your backgrounds had me stunned they were so gorgeous!

Did I mention I really like Sorren? :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Kingv
Veteran

#9 Post by Kingv »

Harliqueen wrote:1. Did you feel like the choices given were enough to shape Cyn into the character you wanted him to be?
I think so yes, it was nice to see him develop through out!

Hm, I thought they were all really good characters and well-developed. I adored Sorren!

Not much, to be honest! There were a couple of typos, but I barely noticed them because I was sucked into the story.

A brilliant game, I really enjoyed it, and your backgrounds had me stunned they were so gorgeous!

Did I mention I really like Sorren? :D
Thanks for answering the questions! I'm glad you enjoyed playing it and am happy that Sorren is being so well received, was a bit worried he'd come off a bit under developed due to time constraints.

In other news I updated the game file with a larger font and tweaked the endings to fix the issue of nothing happening if your points are tied.

yoshibb
Veteran

#10 Post by yoshibb »

I actually don't play male protagonist games too often but I liked the premise of this one. I was definitely not disappointed. I had a lot of fun with it and I really enjoyed Cyn's personality. I enjoyed the relationship between Cyn and his dad, it felt believable, along with romance as well. Although, now I really want to see the BxB route because that looks very interesting considering the personality of the sulking one haha.

Kingv
Veteran

#11 Post by Kingv »

yoshibb wrote:I actually don't play male protagonist games too often but I liked the premise of this one. I was definitely not disappointed. I had a lot of fun with it and I really enjoyed Cyn's personality. I enjoyed the relationship between Cyn and his dad, it felt believable, along with romance as well. Although, now I really want to see the BxB route because that looks very interesting considering the personality of the sulking one haha.
Thanks for commenting! Glad that the premises alone was enough to get you to give the game a go. Male protag games aren't something I play much of either but I wanted to see if I could do it. Plus it was a great excuse to draw a bunch of mermen lol.

It's makes me really happy to know that the relationships and romance showed was believable to you. The BxB route should be pretty interesting! Cyn and Korcha are both stubborn so I'm looking forward to developing their route further.

Being a female myself, I was a bit worried that trying to write a game focused on a male character wouldn't go over too well, only because I'm not overly familiar with the male perspective. By working on this game I learned that it's more so about how the story is told, not the gender of the creator.

xxxSakura
Regular

#12 Post by xxxSakura »

I thought your art was familiar, I knew it! I've been keeping an eye out for Lunar Lotus Festival (oh dear, Mouse ;w;) so I'm definitely downloading this and giving it a try right now!

Kingv
Veteran

#13 Post by Kingv »

xxxSakura wrote:I thought your art was familiar, I knew it! I've been keeping an eye out for Lunar Lotus Festival (oh dear, Mouse ;w;) so I'm definitely downloading this and giving it a try right now!
Hehe, yeah it's me. Guess my art is kinda distinct lol! I honestly can't wait to get done with LLF since it's just about there anyway. Mouses' story get's better, I think I enjoy his endings the most. Anyways I hope you enjoy the game!

On another note my co-writer is having a writers block so she's taking a bit of a break to refresh, which works out because I'm still catching up on stuff that got delayed. As of now I'm planing for version 1.2 to have a working CG/BG gallery, less spelling errors and Orla's CGs finished.

Mikaren
Regular

#14 Post by Mikaren »

Is the sulking merman and the mermaid the only romanceable?

Kingv
Veteran

#15 Post by Kingv »

Mikaren wrote:Is the sulking merman and the mermaid the only romanceable?
Yup, only those two.