Lost Heroes [GxB][LoZ][NaNoRenO2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yoshibb
Veteran

Lost Heroes [GxB][LoZ][NaNoRenO2015]

#1 Post by yoshibb »

Warnings: Some light language and violence
File size: 109MB
Play time: 90 minutes to 2 hours
Sypnosis:

The story takes place three years after the events of Ocarina of Time. In yet another alternate Ocarina of Time timeline (I know there are enough of those already), after alerting a young Princess Zelda of Ganondorf’s real intentions, he decides to remain an adult for reasons that are his own. However, ominous things begin to happen making some wonder if threat of evil is at an end.

In the midst of this, a travelling hero named Orson pays a visit with our protagonist, Kietha. Through a series of events, Kietha ends up embroiled in an age old conflict while attempting to find her own path in life.
Notes:

It's finally finished! My very first visual novel :D I know I'm a week late. My tablet broke on me a week ago which delayed some of the art, but I didn't want to release an unfinished game.
If you'd like a more detailed description of the game, you can find it in the WIP thread here
Also, yes, this takes place in the Legend of Zelda setting, but you can still play this even if you've never played a Legend of Zelda game. I did my best to explain any lore pieces that are confusing. I'm sure I didn't even get the lore 100% accurate, either.

I didn't have any beta testers, so I'm sure there are some grammar and spelling mistakes, but hopefully I was able to find most of them. The game has 4 endings. I hope one day I can go back and add ending CGs, but I didn't want to delay this any longer.

I hope you all enjoy it! If you have any questions or you run into any bugs, please let me know :)

Last edited by yoshibb on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

Re: Lost Heroes [GxB][LoZ][NaNoRenO2015]

#2 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Considering how much i loveeee zelda, i cant wait to play!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Awesome! Can't wait to play, and congrats!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Katherynliza
Tumblr: katheryn-liza
Deviantart: Katheryn-Liza

#4 Post by Katherynliza »

Great game and loved the story.

yoshibb
Veteran

#5 Post by yoshibb »

@Dylan_Bain and @Hazel_Bun: Thanks guys! Hope you enjoy it when you play it! Let me know your thoughts :)

@Katherynliza: Thanks! I'm so happy you liked it!

Maverynthia
Regular

#6 Post by Maverynthia »

I can totally romance Ganondorf right? What about one of the Zora dudes :D?

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#7 Post by Dylan_Bain »

OK, I have played a bit of it, and am really enjoying it, but there are two things I would like to point out-
The music at the beginning is a bit off. For some reason, it has some excessive noise in the background

also, I would like to have seen a sprite for dark link
other than that so far it is great!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#8 Post by yuucie »

Congrats on finishing!! It looks like it took a lot of work to do. I actually don't play zelda games, but I am interested in how it plays out, so I'll give it a go and come back later with my thoughts!

yoshibb
Veteran

#9 Post by yoshibb »

Maverynthia wrote:I can totally romance Ganondorf right? What about one of the Zora dudes :D?
I had to kind of limit my scope with Nano as much as I'd have loved to do a Ganondorf romance among others. Link is the only romance. There is, however, an evil ending if you make the right choices.
Dylan_Bain wrote:OK, I have played a bit of it, and am really enjoying it, but there are two things I would like to point out-
The music at the beginning is a bit off. For some reason, it has some excessive noise in the background

also, I would like to have seen a sprite for dark link
other than that so far it is great!
Hmm, that's weird. I know the opening song is a bit louder than the others for some reason. I might try to look into that.

And yeah, I wanted to do a sprite for Dark Link and two more people you'll meet later, but I just ran out of time. It's one of those things that hopefully I can add one day when I get some free time.
I'm glad you're having fun with it :)
yuucie wrote:Congrats on finishing!! It looks like it took a lot of work to do. I actually don't play zelda games, but I am interested in how it plays out, so I'll give it a go and come back later with my thoughts!
Awesome, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! I know a lot of people haven't played the Zelda games so I tried to explain everything I could. A friend of mine who has never played a Zelda game played through it and said she didn't run into anything she wasn't able to understand. If anything confusing pops up, though, just let me know.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by philip »

Just went through this; very nice, well done, good story however, as previously pointed out:
the initial music is more than a "little off" - it is WAY off, almost painful to listen to. Thankfully, after a few moments, it clears up and it fine throughout the rest of the story
Have only gone through once, will be going back to explore the rest of the choices.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

yoshibb
Veteran

#11 Post by yoshibb »

philip wrote:Just went through this; very nice, well done, good story however, as previously pointed out:
the initial music is more than a "little off" - it is WAY off, almost painful to listen to. Thankfully, after a few moments, it clears up and it fine throughout the rest of the story
Have only gone through once, will be going back to explore the rest of the choices.

philip
Thanks! I went back into the script file and I think I found the problem. I noticed a sound file there that shouldn't be there. For whatever reason, I couldn't hear it on my computer. I erased the sound file, but just in case, I changed the opening music too (which I was thinking of doing anyway). Re-uploaded it, hopefully it won't be a problem now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, guys :)

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#12 Post by yuucie »

I got around to playing it today! I wrote some comments while I was playing.
If I was Kietha, I would agree to be the servant to stay at the castle for one night, then abandon the conman by morning and go back home.

She is certainly quite calm about a man swinging a sword at her with the intent to kill.

I hope she goes into the bit where she can't leave that conman by choice. I don't see why not unless he's got something on her.

That archery scene was so cute. I saw it coming, but it was still cute and I liked it so help me.

Aha, the explanation. Since she carries the rupees, why doesn't she just use those and get a ride on some farmer's cart back to her home? It's not like I'd feel sorry for taking those rupees. That man owes her enough to pay for her way back at least.

The pacing is quite good. I was worried about the romance being too fast but actually it's developing along quite nicely.

omg ganondorf

I can't believe Link would believe the enemy who he doesn't know over someone who he grew close to and formed a relationship with. At the very least he could listen to her and see the arrow sticking out of the wall as proof.

Oh, well, Zelda pointed out the thing I was wondering about. Wow he's really turning in circles, all in the span of five minutes.

I thought Kietha was scared to shoot at a human target, but she seems fine shooting at Link despite their relationship.

True end!

Closing thoughts: I wish ganon and dark link were romanceable //slapped
I really like how you wrote Link's personality. Like I said before, I don't play zelda games, but he feels like he has more of a personality than the silent game protag, haha. Also, I don't think I was confused in the plot at all.

Sometimes Kietha's tone seems a bit out of place, but I really did like that she realized her dependency on her own and decided to do something about it. Also, her humour made me laugh/smile.

I quite liked the game, good job!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#13 Post by KittyKatStar »

Omigosh... I'm not gonna lie, it was always a childhood dream of mine to be Link's helper in some way. <3 So this was awesome.

I only got one ending and plan to play more tomorrow, but I really loved the options that encouraged Link to open up. I admit I squealed when he blushed for the first time. <3 I love your interpretation of Link and how he handles being the Hero of Time, and his relationship with Zelda.

Also Kietha's wit was great, her commentary made me smile many times.

Also... Good job on that CG. You know the one. »--->

yoshibb
Veteran

#14 Post by yoshibb »

@yuucie
Part of me wishes I could've gone into Kietha's character a little further. A lot of the time she's lying to herself at times about wanting to go home. It will mean that her dreams of living an adventurous life are over and it would mean going back a failure to her parents and a town that laughed at her. She's constantly wrestling with her fear of conflict and monsters and her desire to become an adventurer/heroine. But yeah, that was my thinking behind it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the archery scene. I really loved writing that and the romance scene. Just any time I could focus on the banter between Kietha and Link was fun.

Yeah, Link is a very impulsive person which leads him to doing stupid stuff sometimes. If he'd just apply some logic in that situation, he could've figured things out, but he got overly emotional about it considering it was one of the few times he'd opened up to someone. There's a reason why Zelda holds the triforce of wisdom.

I admit the shooting Link thing is a bit of a plot hole. I guess I reasoned that it was more afraid of shooting to kill? I think I sacrificed logic for the sake of humor there.

Everyone always wants to romance the baddies, poor Link lol
It's good to see you liked Link's character. As much as I love him, he's a bit of a blank slate in the games, so I tried to give him a little life without jumping into ridiculous territory. There's only been two times he was voiced, in a game and a cartoon. Both times they turned him into a moron *sigh*

I definitely wanted Kietha to have agency in her own story. I'm glad it came across well.

Thanks for taking the time to play it and give me some good feedback!

@KittyKatStar
That was totally my childhood dream, too lol.

Blushing Link is so adorable. The combination of his shy personality and Kietha's wit made for some fun things to write.

And I worked so hard on that CG >.< I've never been able to do a perspective shot really nicely, so I was happy how it turned out.

Thanks for playing and I hope you can get the rest of the endings!

Atavia

#15 Post by Atavia »

I love the Legend of Zelda games! I thought that you really did Link's character well considering he's a silent protagonist. Their relationship progression was believable too, even though it was a short game.