Binary Soul [NaNoRenO 2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Binary Soul [NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Anna »

Synopsis
She finally has him cornered: the evil spirit which threatens her people.
It is her sworn duty to finish him. But, can she do it when the spirit doesn't even attack her?
On this final day of her training, the knight begins to discover how little she truly knows...

Details
  • short story (max 10-15 minutes)
  • Visual Novel
  • 3 endings
Download
Linux
Windows
Mac

This is absolutely tiny since we knew we'd have no time in March, but it was fun!
Hope you'll find it interesting :)

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

Re: Binary Soul [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

I just finished playing and I liked the story.
It's original and mysterious.
I had the hope of finding a good end but maybe it's better this way since there was so little time. I rather have a good quality than something rushed and the three endings were interesting. (The fact to wonder what is good or bad and even the last ending which permit to find another way outside of this two sides.) Anyway, I suppose that Kala's going to contribute to some kind of peace between spirits and knight if they want to destroy her...
Hathor seemed to react to Kala's transformation in the third ending. I wondered if he knew what was gonna happen ?
I also liked the art a lot =) and the music fits really well with the ambiance of the game.
I was a little perturbed by the absence of choices and the use of the pendant : during the first play I was wondering where I would encounter a menu but I managed to understand soon enough ^^'. It's a nice touch.

Congratulations for the release.

puddingislife

#3 Post by puddingislife »

Hi there!! I've been up and obsessing about NaNoRenO releases, and first thing in the morning! Here you are! XD I began to download it right away but.. whenever I try to install this shows up.. [Unable to create destination folder in the specified location. Try a different folder.] I've tried every folder, those with contents and a new one, (Yes, I'm desperate! TT//^//TT) My java is updated to the latest version as well. What could I possibly do? Thank you and Congrats!! <3

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#4 Post by Dylan_Bain »

OK, so I started playing and was enjoying it, but then I got to a sentance and it wouldn't let me go to the next frame of text :-(
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Anna »

Thank you nipaa_kazuma <3! So glad you liked it~ I think we could've made the pendant choices clearer yes; it's a bit confusing now.
puddingislife wrote:Hi there!! I've been up and obsessing about NaNoRenO releases, and first thing in the morning! Here you are! XD I began to download it right away but.. whenever I try to install this shows up.. [Unable to create destination folder in the specified location. Try a different folder.] I've tried every folder, those with contents and a new one, (Yes, I'm desperate! TT//^//TT) My java is updated to the latest version as well. What could I possibly do? Thank you and Congrats!! <3
Thanks! :)
I'm going to ask my coder about this, since I'm not sure either - will PM you when I know more!
Dylan_Bain wrote:OK, so I started playing and was enjoying it, but then I got to a sentance and it wouldn't let me go to the next frame of text :-(
Which sentence? :) Did you try clicking the purple gem to the right? (you may have to click it twice)

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#6 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Anna wrote:Thank you nipaa_kazuma <3! So glad you liked it~ I think we could've made the pendant choices clearer yes; it's a bit confusing now.
puddingislife wrote:Hi there!! I've been up and obsessing about NaNoRenO releases, and first thing in the morning! Here you are! XD I began to download it right away but.. whenever I try to install this shows up.. [Unable to create destination folder in the specified location. Try a different folder.] I've tried every folder, those with contents and a new one, (Yes, I'm desperate! TT//^//TT) My java is updated to the latest version as well. What could I possibly do? Thank you and Congrats!! <3
Thanks! :)
I'm going to ask my coder about this, since I'm not sure either - will PM you when I know more!
Dylan_Bain wrote:OK, so I started playing and was enjoying it, but then I got to a sentance and it wouldn't let me go to the next frame of text :-(
Which sentence? :) Did you try clicking the purple gem to the right? (you may have to click it twice)
Thanks, that helped!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Anna »

Dylan_Bain wrote:
Thanks, that helped!
You're welcome; the pendant is a choice button basically, read carefully when to activate/deactivate it (by clicking) because that's pretty much how you make choices!

we'll make this clearer if we do it again, I'm sorry everyone!

GrizelyBear
Regular

#8 Post by GrizelyBear »

Omg, are there really only three endings? ;A;

But, I have to say, this story is really good! I guess binary did mean
good and evil.
The commander... Was her name "Ivuhen?" Was she the girl in the extra with Hathor? :O If so, then... I guess her sadness in the saviour ending now makes so much sense... ;w;
Anyway, the art and writing's really good. I love the music in the main menu! It sets the really right mood~

Thank you for the visual novel!

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Anna »

GrizelyBear wrote:Omg, are there really only three endings? ;A;

good and evil.
The commander... Was her name "Ivuhen?" Was she the girl in the extra with Hathor? :O If so, then... I guess her sadness in the saviour ending now makes so much sense... ;w;
Anyway, the art and writing's really good. I love the music in the main menu! It sets the really right mood~

Thank you for the kind words <3!

The commander's name
was Ivulien yes (my writing is kind of messy there haha) and yes, if you look well, you can see she's wearing the necklace from the textbox too; that's because it was originally a gift from Hathor.
As for the meaning of binary...
it can mean more things in this story :) but good/evil is one of them.

GrizelyBear
Regular

#10 Post by GrizelyBear »

Anna wrote:
GrizelyBear wrote:Omg, are there really only three endings? ;A;

good and evil.

Thank you for the kind words <3!

The commander's name
was Ivulien yes (my writing is kind of messy there haha) and yes, if you look well, you can see she's wearing the necklace from the textbox too; that's because it was originally a gift from Hathor.
As for the meaning of binary...
it can mean more things in this story :) but good/evil is one of them.
Oh, sorry about that name mix-up OTL My eyes keep failing me. :((
Oh my goodness, finding out Hathor gifted that necklace to her makes me even sadder. :<

I'm a real sucker for happy endings, so I was really, really sad to find out that none of the endings give me the happy-fluffy-glittery feeling. Nevertheless, I think those three endings make more sense and fit the mood more perfectly anyway... Personally, I prefer ending 2. (I used to prefer ending 1, but now upon finding out the history of the commander and Hathor, nope. Oh my god. There's this terrible sinking feeling in my kokoro. ;w;)
Again, thanks for the great VN! <3

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Anna »

GrizelyBear wrote:There's this terrible sinking feeling in my kokoro. ;w;)

Again, thanks for the great VN! <3
Thanks <3!

While it's tough to look on the "bright" sides, let me just try to mend your poor kokoro a little bit haha:
ending 1:
Ivulien didn't have to do the mission herself and that she still has Kala with her; she can try to move on with her life now with the support of a friend she trusts.

Ending 2:
Kala got confirmation that her commander acted more out of what she felt was 'necessity' than hate; the commander and Hathor care about her enough to be sad about her departure + letting her have the necklace. (the necklace has a good meaning here, as opposed to ending 3)

Ending 3:
Things have gone to hell yes, but unlike the previous two "identities" in which she felt uncomfortable, Kala is finally herself. She's flawed, extremely so, perhaps even a 'monster', but she accepts this and is the most happy with whom she really is.
Hope that helped :') and if not - I'm sorry *surrounds you with cute and happy baby animals*

Naru_san

#12 Post by Naru_san »

Oh! This was great... In the beginning the story was only good, but then it started to become more and more exciting and in the end of game the story was breathtaking. Thank you for the nice game! \^.^/

I have questions: who Cala is now? Does she turn into new "monster's" form because of old ruins? And how does commander understand/recognise Hathor?
Sorry for my English >_<