PDLAM ~ Please Don't Look At Me [NaNoRenO 15][KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
qualifiedbadger

PDLAM ~ Please Don't Look At Me [NaNoRenO 15][KN]

#1 Post by qualifiedbadger »

The girl who's afraid of her looks meets the girl who's afraid of nothing...

Click here to see the game on itch.io!

You play as Sosengi Katsu, a shy, quiet teenager who'd rather not be seen by anyone, as she starts her first year of high school. But Nutsuo, a girl in her class, treats her like she's normal for the first time in her life.

As she slowly experiences life like everyone else, she has to overcome the question ~ How can you be normal when no-one treats you that way?

A kinetic novel of 5,500 words, that will take 20-30 minutes to play through depending on your reading speed. (Warning: There's no music or sound, and it's all 800x600 resolution.)

All the art was taken from the Creative Commons section of the lemmasoft forums, the full credits are in the CREDITS.txt file that come with the game.

~~~

Sooo, this is my (9 days late) NaNoRenO '15 entry, and my first VN ever!

If you have any questions or comments about the game I will try to answer them for you.

If not, here are some questions you might want to answer:
1. Overall, was it entertaining? Or was it too depressing, confusing, silly etc.?
2. Would you have liked some choices to make, or was it fine as a Kinetic Novel?
3. Were there any scenes or bits you particularly liked, disliked, or found exciting or boring?...

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Re: PDLAM ~ Please Don't Look At Me [NaNoRenO 15][KN]

#2 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hmm... let's see... if I'm going to give the most accurate reaction I can muster in the most shortest amount of letters possible... it would be this...

ಠ_ಠ

The pacing is a little bit fast... actually, way too fast... I need to rollback a lot of times just to get the whole context... The lack of audio might be a bit too jarring to some. The intermissions (which could have served better as a bonus commentary) pretty much breaks the pace and flow of the story. All in all... this is my initial impressions. I cannot fully give a concrete final one since I am going to re-read this sometime this week in a much more slower and relaxed pace. It could have been improved here and there but 9 days is pretty understandable that there would be corners cut left and right... GJ anyway... :)
"POOF" (Disappears)

Geocorn
Deviantart: gpsc

#3 Post by Geocorn »

It has the level of polish that I would expect from a jam entry. I would agree that the pacing is rushed. It's definitely a memorable experience. In a positive way. the surrealness of constantly breaking the fourth wall keeps it out of the realm of being a total melodrama (which, without the silly parts of this visual novel, the drama is too rushed to be taken seriously). Overall good job. I'd be interested in seeing further development into this project if there is any.

qualifiedbadger

#4 Post by qualifiedbadger »

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Yeah, the more NaNoRenO games I play, the more I realize the pacing is a bit oddball for a visual novel.

@Geocorn - Thanks for the interest in further development! Once I have some distance from the game, I might go back for a re-write and see if I can fix the pacing problems. If I make an updaed version I'll put it up here, it'd be good to get some feedback to see whether it's an improvement or not!

Again, thanks for checking out the game everyone. It's much appreciated!

Geocorn
Deviantart: gpsc

#5 Post by Geocorn »

Even if you don't decide to further develop this one in particular, i'm still interested to see what VNs you make in the future :)

qualifiedbadger

#6 Post by qualifiedbadger »

Geocorn wrote:Even if you don't decide to further develop this one in particular, i'm still interested to see what VNs you make in the future :)
Wow, thanks a lot! That's high praise for someone like me just starting out. Much appreciated! :D