A Walk in the Woods [Fantasy][Horror][Surreal][R 18+]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

A Walk in the Woods [Fantasy][Horror][Surreal][R 18+]

#1 Post by Thirteen »

Premise
Premise
"You’re walking in the forest. You don’t know particularly why you’re here, but it’s a nice enough day, so that aspect of this stroll doesn’t quite bother you."

You play as an unnamed protagonist who finds themselves walking in a forest. The forest is a large and dangerous place. It is up to you (the player)to choose where to explore and what to do. Be careful though, as many of your choices may end in death.
-------------------------------------
R 18+
A short visual novel. Has elements of horror and surrealism. Absolutely free to play.
Trigger Warnings
Warning for blood.
Explicit descriptions of death.
Namely:
Stabbing
Eaten by a wolf
Drowning

Screen Shots
Image Image Image
Statistics:

The game contains 217 dialogue blocks, containing 2,929 words and 16,897
characters, for an average of 13.5 words and 78 characters per block.

The game contains 9 menus, 31 images, and 12 screens.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: A Walk in the Woods [Fantasy][Horror][Surreal][R 18+]

#2 Post by Godline »

I drowned - NOOOOOOOO! And I got lost. And died by dagger. And was cursed. And turned into a rose bush.
I've been playing through to try to get all the endings. Music/sounds are very atmospheric. I don't see anything worthy of an R rating yet though. It is very surreal - me likey. The play method kind of reminds me of what I did with The Encounter. So it was a good flashback to that.
Is this your first game? This game could be expanded on in the future, or at least maybe get some custom GUI. But it's good! :) Simple and effective.

Thirteen
Regular

#3 Post by Thirteen »

@Godline
Oooooooh~! There are a whole lot of other endings. 9 to be exact! And some of them are terribly horrible! Just slightly horrible! I hope you're able to find them all!
Thank you very much! I was focusing on atmosphere to make it creepy. I'm really fond of atmospheric horror!
I may have to change the rating then! maybe R 16? I don't know.
It is my first game! And it was a sort of prequel. There is a lot more story to this world, and I was planning on maybe making a series out of this story, but I don't know. I'd like to work on other projects first.

I agree with you about the GUI, but I wanted to just release it right away haha! I may make an update in the future with a really slick GUI.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

MadQueen

#4 Post by MadQueen »

I was in the mood to play something like a soft horror game, something I don't have to put too much mind into. I saw this game, it looked simple, somehow pleasing. I asked myself "Why not?" and downloaded it. I'm telling you, I did no expect this game to creep me out like that, honestly!
And it was addicting too. I played all the routes just to get all the endings. It's true that some routes gave me more chills than others, but all of them were creepy enough for my fragile heart T^T
Thank you for creating this game, it was a pleasure for me to play it. Short and effective, just what I needed. You did a great job ^-^

Thirteen
Regular

#5 Post by Thirteen »

MadQueen wrote:I was in the mood to play something like a soft horror game, something I don't have to put too much mind into. I saw this game, it looked simple, somehow pleasing. I asked myself "Why not?" and downloaded it. I'm telling you, I did no expect this game to creep me out like that, honestly!
And it was addicting too. I played all the routes just to get all the endings. It's true that some routes gave me more chills than others, but all of them were creepy enough for my fragile heart T^T
Thank you for creating this game, it was a pleasure for me to play it. Short and effective, just what I needed. You did a great job ^-^
Aw shucks thank you!! QuQ <3

m_celeri

#6 Post by m_celeri »

Really nice game, even though it was short. It has a dream like surreal feel. I also like the soundtrack at the end.
I got "The beginning of the End." ending on my first playthrough. Considering how most of the routes ended I think I fared pretty well. 8)
But was the mushroom guy evil or was it only because of eyes that he seemed so? Also what did the stag do to get punished?
On a side note "Fake Wind - Blowing into the mic - 30sec" made me laugh. :D

Thirteen
Regular

#7 Post by Thirteen »

m_celeri wrote:Really nice game, even though it was short. It has a dream like surreal feel. I also like the soundtrack at the end.
I got "The beginning of the End." ending on my first playthrough. Considering how most of the routes ended I think I fared pretty well. 8)
But was the mushroom guy evil or was it only because of eyes that he seemed so? Also what did the stag do to get punished?
On a side note "Fake Wind - Blowing into the mic - 30sec" made me laugh. :D
Thank you! I hope to remake it some day since it's pretty rusty.
Yay! The mushroom guy isn't an evil character and the stag was punished for reasons that were supposed to be revealed in a longer sequel to the game. This game was intended to be a short prequel of sorts. So I can't really say, but maybe someday there will be a sequel that will reveal all :D
Haha, some of the audio file names are quite to the point aren't they?