Project SVN

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Project SVN

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

No, this isn't something I've created. I stumbled over this linear, short visual novel [that's why it's called "Project SVN," I guess] today. As far as I can tell, it is finished.

Direct quote from the blog where progress is being posted (http://hisashiburi.dasaku.net): "...after 3 long weeks the project is finally done... So some stat about the VN: it has 2526 words and about 149 screens of dialogue. I used about 15 BG images, 2 sprites, 5 BGM, and 5 SFX... I’ve said before that I have no intention of distributing this over the net, so friends if you want to check this out, just drop me a comment and I’ll email you the link. Don’t forget to indicate the OS you’re using. I made files for win, mac & linux."

It's disappointing to hear that this fan-made game will distributed to only people who ask. Looking at the preview images, it appears to have cute art. So I'll email the creator soon and request to have a copy.

Ren

Re: Project SVN

#2 Post by Ren »

Interesting, the art look cute both backgrounds and sprite-wise...

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#3 Post by Hyperguy »

The character art appears to be from a character art pack from the Blade Engine website.

I think the reason why they're not distributing it is because the game was meant to be a learning experience for them and an exercise to put together a complete VN.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

I'll probably go on a rant about how 'For Friends Only' releases defeats the whole purpose of the worldwide internet, but for now I'll just link it and hope those 'Friends' include more people.

bloodywyvern
Veteran

Re: Project SVNhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/posting.php?mode

#5 Post by bloodywyvern »

You'd thing a friend's only release could be handled through an email, wouldn't you? I mean, it's basically this:

Game maker: "OMG GUESS WHAT!"
You: "Uh...hi, do I know you?"
GM: "Nop."
You: "Fine, what?"
GM: "I JusT SAVED A BUNCH OF MONEY ON GEICO!"
You: "Could you stop talking in caps? And what does car insurance have to do with anything."
GM: "Nothing, oh and I made this game."
You: "Oh? Can I play it?"
GM: "No, hahahaha it's just for friends."
You: "Yeah...then why mention it?"
GM: "GEICO!"

Note: The above event is not an exaggeration, oh well it is but it could happen, well most likely not but you get the idea.

I need to stop staying up so late =.= I think I just killed at least 6 of everyones brain cells with this post.
Project - R.E.M: Reality's Dream - Team head/Lead Writer
Other projects - Jamais Vu (script 10k), Chronicles of Etemis
Scripts in planning- 1

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

In general announcing a private release publically will inevitably upset those who'd like to play the game, but are not in the friend's circle... and if I can't have it, I want it the more... a simple formula. So despite the fact that it is understandable someone would want to just make a small present for his friends (only), I don't think this was a very fortunate decision, especially since blogs are easily found and such.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

And, as a happy ending to this, the game has now been posted publicly. Huzzah.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

I have been doing some catching up with released VNs, so I finally played TCF. I came expecting a variation on the "childhood friend" scenario, and basically, this is what I got - childhood friends are always the fondest memories, and this had this special melancholic touch to it. The writing as well, very nicely done, especially avoiding lengthy filler text - the pictures and music did their part, so everything was fitting and felt complete.

The ambivalent part of the VN was (expectedly for me) the usage of free-to-use materials. To be honest, I would have preferred crude drawings and photographs instead of the materials used - chiefly because this would make the VN much more personal. Since I have already played many of the free VNs which have used them before, the backgrounds and sprites seem all too familiar, detached and generic as a result, since in every game they are used to create another associations. It does make sense for a startup project to use free resources though, so this is not really a huge criticism - it's more like a personal perception.

If I have one real criticism, it's the part when K uses the words "too cute to be a fortune teller", which in my opinion is not appropriate, especially given the situation when the people just met - and it doesn't go all to well with the otherwose melancholic thoughts and troubled mind of K's personality. I suppose many people will say this is too short and possibly needs more character development, but actually, I think it's fine as it is, not repetitive, not tiresome.

I will also have to point out that I didn't understand the ending - it did go well with the overall atmosphere and I accepted it as the end of the story, but truth be told, I do not really know what happened.

Overall, this is not the kind of game I usually enjoy, but there was a plus from my point of view, as unlike in many such stories, here the protagonist's personality felt very down-to-earth (which is much more comfortable for me, as opposed to melancholy for melancholy's sake... even though I don't know if this point is understandable) - so in the end then, I liked K's personality more than what happened around him. Still, just to stress this, I don't think this is a bad game (this much is plain to see), it's just a genre that I typically don't call my favorite.