Cafe Memoria [BxG][Comedy][Slice of Life][Waitress][Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

Cafe Memoria [BxG][Comedy][Slice of Life][Waitress][Free]

#1 Post by thebackup »

I am happy to announce that after months of development, Café Memoria is now out! Thanks to everyone who supported this project!

Download Now!! Version 1.0 - 2015/06/26
Windows / Mac / Linux (135 MB)

Website
Learn more here
Corresponding Blog Post

Overview
"Café Memoria" is an interactive visual novel (VN) set in a fun restaurant environment, with five lovely waitresses. You play the role of a male customer entering the restaurant, ordering various food and drink items from one of the waitresses. At the end you can rate how well she did serving you – you can choose to rate her highly, in-between, or even poorly.

Story
Café Memoria is a new restaurant in town, hoping to create memorable experiences for its guests. It’s the weekend, and you totally forgot to buy food the day before for breakfast. With nothing to eat for breakfast, you consider going out to eat at Café Memoria. As you enter, you startle a female friend of yours, who happens to be dressed in a pretty waitress uniform. She is quite shy and very self-conscious, but she tries her best and seats you a table. How memorable of an experience will she create for you? Will you come back and eat there again?

Characters

Ryne Reyes
Pronounced: rhine
Voiced by: Josh del Mundo
Ryne is the main male protagonist who visits Café Memoria for breakfast, after forgetting to buy groceries the night before. Described as calm and friendly by most of his friends, he likes to help them with the problems they face.

Anna Pervova
Voiced by: Trina Deuhart
Anna is the daughter of the owner of the restaurant, Elena. She startles easily and is quite shy. Her mother thinks that by allowing her daughter to work, her confidence will improve. However, she doesn’t think so. Because of her personality she tends to fidget a lot and is quite clumsy.

Mikaela Kier
Pronounced: mi-kay-la
Voiced by: Skyler Davenport
Mikaela is Ryne’s childhood friend, and is somewhat overprotective of him. She inadvertently broke something expensive, and now she’s forced into a part-time job to pay it off. She has a very short temper and loses patience easily. Often gets into petty arguments with Julia.

Tristina Hamilton
Voiced by: Cayla Martin
Tristina decided to work at the restaurant because she thinks they’re cosplaying, although Anna insists they’re not. Despite this, she has a hard time with males and treats them differently compared to females.

Aurelia Alvarez
Pronounced: oh-reel-ya
Voiced by: Sayaka Mashiro
Aurelia wanted to work at the restaurant because of a certain guy she knows is a regular there, who she considers a very sweet guy. She is perhaps the nicest, and the most physically attractive girl in the restaurant, albeit airheaded and lacking in common sense.

Julia Sakuraba
Voiced by: Samantha Chan
Despite having a talent for cooking, Julia opted to be a waitress in hopes of improving her relationships with her friends, including Anna. She’s very modest and polite, and downplays any accomplishments she’s done. Unwillingly finds herself in petty arguments with Mikaela.

Elena Pervova
Anna’s mother, and owner of Café Memoria. Although you never see her in the game, her name is mentioned several times throughout. She is described as an easygoing woman who likes to tell embarrassing stories about her daughter.

Features
  • Free!
  • Unlockable routes as you play the game
  • Five lovely waitresses: Anna, Mikaela, Tristina, Aurelia, Julia
  • Make various drink and food selections, ranging from traditional to contemporary, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • Rate your waitress™ - rate her highly or even poorly
  • Voice acting!

Screenshots
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Let me know what you guys think of Café Memoria! Who's your favorite character? What did you like about it, what can be improved? Anything else? I'm excited to hear. :) Thanks for checking this project out, hope you guys enjoy it! Have fun!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: Cafe Memoria [BxG][Comedy][Slice of Life][Waitress][Free

#2 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Just downloaded it! Finished the first route, and this game is amazing so far! Not only is the art good, but the voice-acting is very well done! It is nice to see more voiced OELVNs, especially in the free department. I have a quick question; I noticed the music was lower than voice by default, I really like that; how did you script it? I have been trying to figure that out for awhile ^.^;

Oh! Note to downloaders -- your anti-virus might say the file will potentially damage your computer, discard it. It is just because it has not been downloaded very much yet, the game is safe!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#3 Post by Catlip Candy »

Yay!!! A Visual Novel that has a bunch of cuties!!!~ Gonna pull an all-nighter to download this (because of slow Internet, can't waste precious time) and maybe read this VN tomorrow. So excited!!!
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#4 Post by Smudgeed »

Woah, congratulations on releasing this! I remember checking out the WIP thread. I've downloaded it right now and will post up my thoughts when I beat the game but right off the bat I want to say that I love how clean everything looks and how easy everything is to navigate. The voice acting and the ability to mute select people is a nice touch! Everyone looks so cute!

I'll be playing this right now, congratulations on release again!

mudora23
Regular

#5 Post by mudora23 »

I played through the game. Overall, I rate the game 9.5/10. I really like the game and It's definitely a recommended one to play.

I considered myself a very picky person when it comes to games, but I found this game too good for me to criticize in almost every way.

+ Short but neat story overall (Especially people like me who cannot spend a lot of time on one game.)
+ Voice acting replay (Nice functionaily!)
+ Nice voice acting
+ Nice music / sounds
+ Nice graphics / art styles
+ Nice UI / options Menu
+ Nice character animations
+ Nice scene rundown / transitions
+ Interesting dialogue and strong characteristics with some stories behind them.
+ Like the format, the focus on each waitress and how it is presented.
? I'd really like to choose a route instead of going through every one of them linearly. But I think this is probably the best based on how the story is presented.
? Rating system:
The rating system is a neat idea and I love it. However, I don't know how it can impact the dialogue / the game. I rated Tristina the least friendly but gave 10 on the other two categories. I voted 'NO' for the yes/no questions. Her reply was like 'Oh, I did okay?', I was like, 'NOOOO, ABSOLUTELY NOTTTT. The intentional overcharge thing is pissing me off!' But yeah, I would like to see some more responsive reactions.
I am definitely looking forward to the next game you guys make! Amazing job!

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer

#6 Post by thebackup »

Kokoro Hane wrote:Just downloaded it! Finished the first route, and this game is amazing so far! Not only is the art good, but the voice-acting is very well done! It is nice to see more voiced OELVNs, especially in the free department.
Thanks, glad you like it!
Kokoro Hane wrote:I have a quick question; I noticed the music was lower than voice by default, I really like that; how did you script it? I have been trying to figure that out for awhile ^.^;
It's fairly simple, I've used this code here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... me#p205336
Fake Existence wrote:Yay!!! A Visual Novel that has a bunch of cuties!!!~ Gonna pull an all-nighter to download this (because of slow Internet, can't waste precious time) and maybe read this VN tomorrow. So excited!!!
Hope you enjoy it!
Smudgeed wrote:Woah, congratulations on releasing this! I remember checking out the WIP thread. I've downloaded it right now and will post up my thoughts when I beat the game but right off the bat I want to say that I love how clean everything looks and how easy everything is to navigate. The voice acting and the ability to mute select people is a nice touch! Everyone looks so cute!

I'll be playing this right now, congratulations on release again!
Thank you, looking forward to your thoughts. I hope you enjoy it!
mudora23 wrote:I played through the game. Overall, I rate the game 9.5/10. I really like the game and It's definitely a recommended one to play.

I considered myself a very picky person when it comes to games, but I found this game too good for me to criticize in almost every way.

+ Short but neat story overall (Especially people like me who cannot spend a lot of time on one game.)
+ Voice acting replay (Nice functionaily!)
+ Nice voice acting
+ Nice music / sounds
+ Nice graphics / art styles
+ Nice UI / options Menu
+ Nice character animations
+ Nice scene rundown / transitions
+ Interesting dialogue and strong characteristics with some stories behind them.
+ Like the format, the focus on each waitress and how it is presented.
? I'd really like to choose a route instead of going through every one of them linearly. But I think this is probably the best based on how the story is presented.
? Rating system:

I am definitely looking forward to the next game you guys make! Amazing job!
I have to admit the rating system was somewhat tricky to code, so I used a simple algorithm. Yeah, it seems silly rating them 10s in some categories, and 1s and 'no's in others and getting an "ok" reaction. Should've used something other than a point scale ^.^;;
Otherwise, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#7 Post by neuropsy »

I very much enjoyed the game! I was screenshotting just about every other scene while I was chatting with my friends on Facebook, live reacting to what was going on. Here's a mini review I'm writing while I may or may not be deprived of sleep:

The concept of the visual novel was very refreshing. I didn't start the game expecting to unlock different paths by conversing with everyone, but it was a pleasant surprise to meet each girl individually. The rating system was a really cool idea that really encouraged immersion from me. I couldn't bring myself to leave an overall negative review on any of the characters, hehe.

The art was top-notch and the music fit the mood (I laughed when sad music played while Anna broke up the fight between Julia and Mikaela). GUI was simple, very clean, and nice to look at, so props for that. The voice acting was clear and high-quality, with the emotions and personalities well-conveyed. Awesome job, everyone!

Now, for the characters. Let me start off my saying Anna is the best girl. She reminds me of myself: awkward, timid, clumsy, and apologizes a lot. I love how she has a lot of heart and happily accepts encouragement from Ryne. She's just beyond adorable, okay? I believe that she'll be a damn fine waitress!
I wish I could have paired Ryne with her...

I would say my second favorite character has to be Ryne, actually. He's very understanding and kind-hearted, basically someone who'd have his friends' backs. I liked how, despite being overall an amicable person, he did feel annoyance and other more "negative" emotions instead of being an embodiment of purity. Also, for some reason, his voice was my favorite.

The main improvement I can think of is to go into more detail about the backstories of the characters, especially the ones that started off a bit abrasively. I'm really curious about their backstories. My main complaint is
how Ryne gets paired with Julia in the end, and there isn't much buildup on why he likes her so much. She's a sweet girl, though a bit bland the way she is right now, but that's something that can certainly be fixed! Or maybe I'm just salty because I wanted him to end up with Anna... *sulk*
Overall, the game certainly was memorable, and I'm definitely looking forward to more games you release. You can count me in if this game gets a sequel of some sort. :p

Moon20
Regular

#8 Post by Moon20 »

I loved the game very much and the voice acting was very amazing.
I loved everything about the game so I dont have any complain.
My favorite characther are Julia and I loved her voice very much.
I loved her personalty very much, since her personalty are nearly smilar to my personalty.
You really did very good work with this game altrough I wish the game was longer.
I'm looking forward to your next game.

You have Get fan in me.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#9 Post by sasquatchii »

This was so awesome!!! Everything was super high quality and very well done. I will probably want to pay for the next game you make (if you do make another).

I didn't have an all time favorite, I really liked all the girls. I only wish the stories were longer (so that they could be more fully rounded as characters and with their stories)!

The one and only thing that I found confusing was the options menu. It didn't dawn on me that the way to back out of it was to hit the return button at the bottom left. I was looking for an "x" or a more obvious button. But not really a big deal, just something to keep in mind :)

Again, amazing job!!! I'm looking forward to more from you!
ImageImage

thebackup
Veteran

#10 Post by thebackup »

neuropsy wrote:The art was top-notch and the music fit the mood (I laughed when sad music played while Anna broke up the fight between Julia and Mikaela). GUI was simple, very clean, and nice to look at, so props for that. The voice acting was clear and high-quality, with the emotions and personalities well-conveyed. Awesome job, everyone!
I'm kind of curious as to why you laughed when the sad music played. It wasn't my intention for one to laugh at that part ^^;
neuropsy wrote:Now, for the characters. Let me start off my saying Anna is the best girl. She reminds me of myself: awkward, timid, clumsy, and apologizes a lot. I love how she has a lot of heart and happily accepts encouragement from Ryne. She's just beyond adorable, okay? I believe that she'll be a damn fine waitress!
neuropsy wrote:The main improvement I can think of is to go into more detail about the backstories of the characters, especially the ones that started off a bit abrasively. I'm really curious about their backstories. My main complaint is
Expect more in the sequel! That is, if I decide to make a sequel. Then you can date Anna ^^ I have to admit the characters could use some more backstory.
neuropsy wrote:Overall, the game certainly was memorable, and I'm definitely looking forward to more games you release. You can count me in if this game gets a sequel of some sort. :p
Thanks, glad you liked it!
Moon20 wrote:I loved the game very much and the voice acting was very amazing.
I loved everything about the game so I dont have any complain.
My favorite characther are Julia and I loved her voice very much.
I loved her personalty very much, since her personalty are nearly smilar to my personalty.
You really did very good work with this game altrough I wish the game was longer.
I'm looking forward to your next game.

You have Get fan in me.
I'm aware that it's a bit short, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
sasquatchii wrote:This was so awesome!!! Everything was super high quality and very well done. I will probably want to pay for the next game you make (if you do make another).

I didn't have an all time favorite, I really liked all the girls. I only wish the stories were longer (so that they could be more fully rounded as characters and with their stories)!
Thanks, expect more in the sequel, that is, if there's a sequel!
sasquatchii wrote:The one and only thing that I found confusing was the options menu. It didn't dawn on me that the way to back out of it was to hit the return button at the bottom left. I was looking for an "x" or a more obvious button. But not really a big deal, just something to keep in mind :)
I'm guessing that's because the options menu windows kind of look like an operating system GUI window (with the 'x", minimize, maximize)? :wink:
sasquatchii wrote:Again, amazing job!!! I'm looking forward to more from you!
Thanks again! Hope you stick around!

rockprincess

#11 Post by rockprincess »

Ok, I just want to say I really, really liked it. I'd love a sequel and would defiantly play it if you decided to make one. My favorite was Tristina, I think her voice actress did an awesome job. I really liked Mikaela's voice also, and Anna's was good too. I was a bit upset that Ryne got paired with Julia in the end and you couldn't choose, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Though if there is a sequel I would really like the option to choose. I also liked that there wasn't a bad ending, because I most likely would've gotten it if there was one. I also liked the voice acting reply button, and that you could turn off individual voices.

Also, I noticed a glitch. Not a spoiler, just putting it in spoiler tags just in case.
If you hit the next button in the music room before you have it unlocked, you can still hear Aurelia's extra.

thebackup
Veteran

#12 Post by thebackup »

rockprincess wrote:Ok, I just want to say I really, really liked it. I'd love a sequel and would defiantly play it if you decided to make one. My favorite was Tristina, I think her voice actress did an awesome job. I really liked Mikaela's voice also, and Anna's was good too. I was a bit upset that Ryne got paired with Julia in the end and you couldn't choose, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Though if there is a sequel I would really like the option to choose. I also liked that there wasn't a bad ending, because I most likely would've gotten it if there was one. I also liked the voice acting reply button, and that you could turn off individual voices.

Also, I noticed a glitch. Not a spoiler, just putting it in spoiler tags just in case.
If you hit the next button in the music room before you have it unlocked, you can still hear Aurelia's extra.
I'm glad you like it! The voice actresses put a lot of effort into their respective characters.
I promise if there's a sequel, you can choose who to be with :)
As for that minor glitch:
Oops! Though, you shouldn't see the translation while it's locked.
Again, glad you liked it. Thanks!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#13 Post by Mad Harlequin »

This got reviewed over at Jay Is Games. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#14 Post by neuropsy »

thebackup wrote:
neuropsy wrote:The art was top-notch and the music fit the mood (I laughed when sad music played while Anna broke up the fight between Julia and Mikaela). GUI was simple, very clean, and nice to look at, so props for that. The voice acting was clear and high-quality, with the emotions and personalities well-conveyed. Awesome job, everyone!
I'm kind of curious as to why you laughed when the sad music played. It wasn't my intention for one to laugh at that part ^^;
Ah, I just thought it was cute that Anna's plea to get them to stop fighting was so moving it warranted a change in the music. It wasn't a derisive laugh--it was more of a little giggle at how absolutely precious Anna is.
You know, I'm actually glad this visual novel was released first knowing there's going to be a longer one in the future. It's definitely building up hype and solidifying my decision to play it! I'm so excited to romance Anna. I'm an absolute sucker for shy, plucky girls.

thebackup
Veteran

#15 Post by thebackup »

neuropsy wrote:Ah, I just thought it was cute that Anna's plea to get them to stop fighting was so moving it warranted a change in the music. It wasn't a derisive laugh--it was more of a little giggle at how absolutely precious Anna is.
You know, I'm actually glad this visual novel was released first knowing there's going to be a longer one in the future. It's definitely building up hype and solidifying my decision to play it! I'm so excited to romance Anna. I'm an absolute sucker for shy, plucky girls.
Ahaha, I kind of thought that change in music might've needed some work. But glad it made you thought of Anna that way! And once again, glad you love the game! Comments like that make me want to work on a possible sequel. Thanks again for your support! :)