Heart of Fire

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

Heart of Fire

#1 Post by Scout »

This is not my NaNo project. This is the project I started when I realized that, after being completely overwhelmed with a huge set of jobs from work, I'd never be able to finish my NaNo project in time; so in the last week of March, I started on something much smaller instead.

It's short, goofy, overblown romantic fantasy KN/RPG hybrid monster. I hope it's fun, but I'm really too exhausted to tell right now.

Edit: I've released a new major update. Please download Heart of Fire from here instead.
Last edited by Scout on Thu May 01, 2008 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Heart of Fire

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Meep. I got a traceback during one of the battles. o_o;

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'recover_damage'

While running game code:
 - script call at line 229 of D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/script.rpy
 - script at line 683 of D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 683 of D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/script.rpy.
 - python at line 304 of D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/init.rpy.
 - python at line 230 of D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/init.rpy.
 - python at line 158 of D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/classes.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Temp\Heart of Fire-1.0\Heart of Fire-1.0\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 210, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Temp\Heart of Fire-1.0\Heart of Fire-1.0\renpy\main.py", line 303, in main
  File "C:\Temp\Heart of Fire-1.0\Heart of Fire-1.0\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Temp\Heart of Fire-1.0\Heart of Fire-1.0\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Temp\Heart of Fire-1.0\Heart of Fire-1.0\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "C:\Temp\Heart of Fire-1.0\Heart of Fire-1.0\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/script.rpy", line 683, in <module>
  File "D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/init.rpy", line 304, in battle
  File "D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/init.rpy", line 230, in showmenu
  File "D:\renpy\Heart of Fire/game/classes.rpy", line 158, in use_recover
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'recover_damage'

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.6.1c
It looked pretty good so far. ^_^ Great 16-bit graphics.

Scout
Veteran

#3 Post by Scout »

Eek. The combat system is very patchy right now, most things SHOULD work, but... oddities are bound to pop up. Remember to save frequently! :x

But it shouldn't actually be CRASHING. Dump this classes.rpy in, that should fix it.

Edit: I've updated my first post with a package with the fixed classes file, and resampled music so it's not QUITE so huge.
Attachments
classes.rpy
(22.31 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

denzil
Veteran

#4 Post by denzil »

Crashes for me in battle with the Capitan (chapter: The beginning) if i get killed.
Attachments
traceback.txt
traeback
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Scout
Veteran

#5 Post by Scout »

Hm... that's really strange. I can't see anything that would just make it crash in one specific case (as opposed to all the time), and I *thought* it'd gone through there with no problem. Try putting this in, I think it should fix your problem... but I'm not 100% sure.
Attachments
script.rpy
(50.12 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

Jake
Support Hero

#6 Post by Jake »

Scout wrote:Hm... that's really strange. I can't see anything that would just make it crash in one specific case (as opposed to all the time), and I *thought* it'd gone through there with no problem. Try putting this in, I think it should fix your problem... but I'm not 100% sure.
As it goes, I had the same problem, but that fixed it for me. I found the game pretty hard in places, but I think that was in part 'cause cool stuff kept disappearing from my inventory, as I mentioned on IRC. I reckon Saber was hoarding it...

The end fight...
I presume that the captain was set to be invulnerable once you got him down to a certain number of hitpoints so you could have the win-through-willpower scene, but it felt a bit weird to have him stuck at 15, with my guys continuously landing blows the narrative was telling me were wounds without his hitpoints going down. Personally, I think I'd prefer him to have some all-powerful one-off attack which all-but wipes the party out than that; as it is, I almost quit the game as soon as I died without reading the 'losing' script and went off to write a bug report. :/

(We did a similar thing in MorningStar - pitched the first fight such that you were supposed to lose, although didn't actually fix it - and I know a couple of people were put off playing the whole game by it. I really like the idea, myself, 'cause it involves the plot more in the RPG segments, I guess it's just hard to forget convention.)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

denzil
Veteran

#7 Post by denzil »

Scout wrote:Try putting this in, I think it should fix your problem... but I'm not 100% sure.
Doesn't fix it for me. Still crashes for me the same way. I attached save from before the battle, maybe it will help.
So far I liked the game, so I hope I will be able to finish it.
Attachments
save.zip
save
(88.59 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
traceback.txt
traceback
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Scout
Veteran

#8 Post by Scout »

Hm... that's very strange; I loaded your save and wasn't able to replicate it at all. I think it might be possibly that somehow one of the fixes didn't load. I'd like you to go into the "game" directory, delete EVERYTHING except for "data.rpa" and the saves folder, and replace it with the contents of the attached zip file.
Attachments
allgame.zip
(94.39 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

denzil
Veteran

#9 Post by denzil »

It's strange but in the end I was able finish the game. First I tried what you suggested but the save wouldn't even load. Then I tried to figure out what's wrong by editing the code a bit and succeeded exactly once to get past the battle... just to get the battle again, and then it crashed again. In the end I tried to load the game in the installation where I originally saved it and it worked so I finally finished the game.

I liked the game (except for this one problem :( ). The battles seemed hard at first, but after I figured it out they turned out to be pretty easy. In the end this was a nice game.

BTW: for some reason Saber was listed twice in the battle (and was attacking twice every turn). When I was trying to figure out whats wrong I found that he was also listed twice in the "currentbattle" variable. It was the same person, because the health changed for both when one of them was hit/healed.

Jake
Support Hero

#10 Post by Jake »

denzil wrote:BTW: for some reason Saber was listed twice in the battle (and was attacking twice every turn).
I wondered about the same thing, briefly - it turns out that's how the 'Haste' spell is implemented.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by gekiganwing »

I got into this game last night, and I definitely like what I see thus far. Thank you, Scout, for creating a game which brings two genres together. I didn't expect to see a Ren'py game with RPG action *and* girls love, but you've created something which really appeals to my "old school console RPG fanboy" self. In the near future, I'll seriously think about recommending this game to fans who don't necessarily like moe-moe games or VNs.

Like Jake, I had trouble fighting the orc captain.
The enemy seemed to be taking damage, but didn't die, and never appeared to lose any hit points. But when I let my party die, there was an "I'm dead" sequence followed by an "I must try again" sequence.
I was using the Mac version, by the way.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

Mm... I finished the game.

The biggest problem is balancing. Those orc tokens sell for 20 GP a piece, so I could pretty much hoard up on girdstones and have my party deal 20-30 damage a swing by the end of the game. This lead to some problems since I beat the orc captain in just two blows. XD I didn't even have to die once during the orc captain battle...

I liked the 16-bit graphics. I thought it made the game look really like an RPG from the 90's. I thought the ending was kind of anti-climatic though. I expected the mysterious creature from the forest to make a second appearance. I was also expecting more character exposition on Saber after the battle.

I liked the yuri... Too bad I couldn't see the girls except for their pixalated sprites. XD

Scout
Veteran

#13 Post by Scout »

Samu-kun wrote: I didn't even have to die once during the orc captain battle...
Eek! That's bad! x.x I definitely need to fix that battle... you shouldn't be able to kill him before the party gets wiped out once.
The climax of the story happens after you get killed in that fight! That's really really bad that you missed that. x.x

Mr_Qwerty

#14 Post by Mr_Qwerty »

Pretty nice game! Just one detail, though; when the opponents are out of items to steal, the game tells me that "%y has nothing to steal!"

vlint
Regular

#15 Post by vlint »

Did you make the pictures for this? Where did you get them, if not?