Trepanation

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ryo

Trepanation

#1 Post by ryo »

I've been working on this idea as a novel but I've been so lazy about finishing it that I decided to put what I have into a vn. i tried to find images that are as close to what i wanted the actual scene to look like, which in many cases wasn't close at all. but i can't draw so they are basically photoshopped with a context filter. the story i've had for a while, and i think it stands well on its own, but i put the game together the last two, three days, so it's as naked as it gets.

Intended for adults, graphic images, coarse language, but no sex.
trepanationprintscreen1.jpg
trepanationprintscreen2.jpg
added some sprites. most are shopped j scott campbell pics - changed hair, clothes, altered lips b/c he draws them freakishly pouty
Trepanation.zip
(14.14 MiB) Downloaded 898 times
Trepanation-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(14.28 MiB) Downloaded 493 times
Trepanation-mac.zip
(14.89 MiB) Downloaded 354 times
Last edited by ryo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: Trepanation

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

Congratulations! Since this seems to be your first post, welcome to the forums. From the screenshots you posted, the story looks very intriguing.

btw, the download you provided doesn't seem to be a stand-alone package (game and saves folder). Users might need a copy of ren'py to play it.

It's a good idea not to include the saves folder and the rpy files if you don't want ppl trying to dismantle your VN. Also, you can obfuscate the game files with the tools provided by ren'py and it's not too hard to make a stand-alone package for distribution. The latest versions of ren'py even do this automatically for you.

I'll comment on the VN after I finish it.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

ryo

#3 Post by ryo »

lordcloudx wrote:btw, the download you provided doesn't seem to be a stand-alone package (game and saves folder). Users might need a copy of ren'py to play it.

It's a good idea not to include the saves folder and the rpy files if you don't want ppl trying to dismantle your VN. Also, you can obfuscate the game files with the tools provided by ren'py and it's not too hard to make a stand-alone package for distribution. The latest versions of ren'py even do this automatically for you.
Yeah thanks, again, I'm a total noob, and you do need ren'py to play it. I also have no idea how to turn it into a stand-alone game[figured out the obfuscate part]. To be honest I never looked at the tutorial, I just skimmed the code, played around with it and figured it out.

so if anyone can help me out with the code stuff, or if anyone is interested adding voice actors, drawing sprites or doing backgrounds i would be in your debt[many of the images i couldn't find the shot i wanted, so i resorted to a ton of close-ups and color filters, turn day into night etc etc].

also - this is basically an excerpt, but i'm considering writing a full novel-ish story if the feedback is good.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

Congratulations on finishing your VN! :D

To make a game stand-alone, you just need to go to the Ren'Py Launcher, select Tools, and then each of the three "Release Day" options in turn. After you select "Build Distributions" and follow the instructions, you'll be left with three archives in the "renpy-6.6.0" directory (or whatever version of Ren'Py you're using): one called "gamename.zip", one called "gamename-linux-x86.tar.gz", and one called "gamename-mac.zip". If you upload these three, then people on Windows, Linux or Mac can download the appropriate stand-alone game.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Cybeat »

Congrats on making your first VN. You made it. Hmm, isn't trepanation drilling a hole in your skull?
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

ryo

#6 Post by ryo »

ok, that should fix that. thanks again. and yeah trepanation is drilling a hole in your head. it's fiction, so i wouldn't recommend that or any other form self-mutilation as a means of bettering yourself.

renkenjutsu
Regular

#7 Post by renkenjutsu »

Congratulations on your VN! :D
I have to agree that the scenes really do match with what you want to convey in your story. It's a mature theme, to be sure, but I find myself lost in the words from time to time. In short, sometimes I was confused on where the story is headed or what it is about. But I had fun reading it.
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

alley

#8 Post by alley »

man it feels like i am reading a chuck Palaniuk book. I didn't know what i was getting myself into when i read this. When you wrote adult i didn't know how adult it could be. I haven't finished yet, but once i get into the right frame of mind to read it i will finish it(not good idea to read to read it when you feeling light or airy).

I liked it so far though and i am pretty sure i will like it when i finish it.