Over The Hills And Far Away [KN][Drama][Historic]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DesertFox
Regular
Completed: Over The Hills And Far Away
Projects: My Little Dictator
Organization: WarGirl Games

Over The Hills And Far Away [KN][Drama][Historic]

#1 Post by DesertFox »

Over The Hills And Far Away is a heartwarming and emotional visual novel, the first title released by WarGirl Games.

Trailer

Description

The War of 1812. Northwest Frontier.
William Aubrey, a rogue redcoat of the once-glorious 41st Regiment of Foot, is on the run.
Wounded and tired, he seeks shelter during a thunderstorm inside an abandoned barn.
But when he gets there, he finds he’s not alone.
A young Shawnee girl, named Mai, is hiding from the rain too.
Bleeding out and not wanting to brave the fierce winds outside, Aubrey decides to put up with her until the rains let up.
But will their accord outlast the storm; when both return to the bloodshed and the outside world?

Steam Store

Image Image
Image Image

Characters

Production Team
  • DesertFox - writing, coding, editing, sound design, additional artwork
  • SpacePenguin - sprite art, background art, CG art
  • Seycara Music and Arts - music
  • Sagisapon - vocalist
  • Full list of credits found in the game

Image Image
Image Image

Info
  • Full length kinetic novel
  • Beautiful artwork and CGs to unlock
  • Original sweeping orchestral soundtrack
  • Experience the colonial-era world of the Northwest Territory
  • Available on Windows, OSX and Linux

Find us

Image Image Image Image Image

Over The Hills And Far Away is the commercial property of WarGirl Games.
The story and characters contained within are the intellectual property of the developers.
All characters appearing in this work are fictitious.
Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
This game contains scenes with Strong Language, Blood and Violence.
As such, player discretion is advised.

© 2015 WarGirl Games, All Rights Reserved, Over The Hills And Far Away and all elements thereof.
Last edited by DesertFox on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 16 times in total.

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

Re: Over The Hills And Far Away [KN][Drama][Historic]

#2 Post by AlphaProspector »

Sweet, so glad to see this finished despite the unfortunate outcome of the KS.

Any word on the release price?
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog

DesertFox
Regular

#3 Post by DesertFox »

AlphaProspector wrote:Sweet, so glad to see this finished despite the unfortunate outcome of the KS.

Any word on the release price?
The game is selling for the initial price of $8.99.

The game is now available to buy!

Doedelzak
Completed: Orange Salvifique (RPG Maker game)
Projects: De Profundis (Renpy game), 12 (Renpy game)
Organization: points contigus
Soundcloud: benjamin-bouvrot

#4 Post by Doedelzak »

(Sorry if my english is bad)

I really waited for this one. I backed the game on Kickstarter (although it didn't succeed) and now I paid 12.99$ to download it (one day before the price reduction, oh yeah). I love nakige, I love the initial pitch, and the high quality production, so hell, I was hooked.

I must say I'm disappointed. The real problem is : your game is only 3 hours long. I didn't expect this. I don't think the failure of the Kickstarter justifies this.

Okay. Everything in the game is very well polished. It is a rare Renpy gemme in terms of polishing. Great art, great writing, a lot of beautiful and amazing effects, and, damn, a real orchestra OST. A lot of efforts were made (and a lot of money spent...). But polishing is just polishing. It is a plus, not the entire game.

As for the game itself, it took me a while (say, one hour, maybe more) to immerse myself in it. Way too much cliches : almost everything is predictable. But anyway, I finally started to become interested. Mai is a great character, and Aubrey was becoming one too. I thought "Okay, it was a slow start, but now I really enjoy myself."

And then... Then, finish. The game just ended. I didn't even felt for the sad ending, as I was too shocked to see the whole story conclude. It was so rushed ! When they quit the shelter, it feels like the end of an introduction. In fact, the shelter is more like the first half of the game... Actually, the demo is half of the game.

I would have much prefered a long game, with a real story, more depth. I would trade the orchestral OST for that, really. A single musician would be fine. The music is pretty good, obviously, but isn't it strange to have 30 persons for the OST and 10 for the rest of the game ? (well, 1 for the most part of it) And isn't it a little too much to have an orchestra play for a 3 hours long kinetic novel ?

Yes, Planetarian was 3 hours long too. It is clearly overpriced on Steam. But Planetarian is a long time classic, and was made by Key, the studio behind Clannad. I think it will sell for those reasons. As for me, I bought it, and was really disappointed too. Maybe I will stop buying KN or VN. That's too sad...

In the end : sorry for being harsh. I just needed to give my opinion, and express my disappointment. As I don't want to ruin your business, I won't post that comment on Steam.

DesertFox
Regular

#5 Post by DesertFox »

@Doedelzak - Hiya. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the game as much as you felt you could have. I'm afraid the game was never intended to be longer than a certain number of hours. There's only so much to Aubrey and Mai's story with the assets at hand and the number of characters involved. The demo represents much less than half the game, and we feel the length is apt for the story. In some ways, I suppose it's a positive that your main criticism is that there wasn't enough of this game. Thank you for the feedback.

Please do get in contact again since we're offering the Soundtrack DLC for free to anyone that bought the game at the original price. Just provide your Steam receipt and we'll send on the key.

DesertFox
Regular

#6 Post by DesertFox »

Over The Hills And Far Away is available with a 35% discount for the first week of December!

If you haven't played it yet, grab a copy while it's discounted! Or get one as a gift for a friend in time for Christmas :P

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396860