Beretta Mondatta [VN][Comedy][Surreal][Anti-Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Beretta Mondatta [VN][Comedy][Surreal][Anti-Commercial]

#1 Post by YossarianIII »

When Beretta’s boyfriend cheats on her, she rips his goddamn head off. Help a murderer find new love! Or not!

FREE DOWNLOAD

Summary

Beretta Mondatta is an interactive story about love and decapitation (but not in that order).

When Beretta’s boyfriend cheats on her, she rips his goddamn head off. Heartbroken, but newly single, Beretta embarks on a quest to find new love. It might not be the best idea…

You, the player, can attempt to form a relationship with four eligible partners: a homicide detective, a drunk mailman, the mother of Beretta’s dead boyfriend, and a mysterious girl who also just committed murder.

Sometimes you find lasting happiness. Other times you get repeatedly stabbed in the stomach with a kitchen knife. It’s just like real life!

You can reach an ending in 10 to 20 minutes—finding them all takes about an hour.

Features

* Branching dialogue options that lead to 11 normal endings

* An unlockable bonus ending

* Art

* A soundtrack with lots of squelchy synth basslines

* An implausible amount of snail mail

* No limbs

* Grave misunderstandings of multiverse theory

Content

Contains cartoon blood and occasional strong profanity.

Permissions and Contact Info

Let's Plays, screenshots, text excerpts, and video excerpts are all permitted (and encouraged!) for the purpose of review.

You do need permission for commercial use of material from the game.

You can ask permission questions in the thread below or email yossarian.the.third@gmail.com.

Feedback/Questions

All feedback -- positive or negative -- is appreciated.

I'm always interested in hearing which ending you reach first!

Also, if you spot an error or bug and report it in the thread below, you can be added to the credits during the next update (if you like).

Trailer

Last edited by YossarianIII on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Image Image

taigoesrawr

Re: Beretta Mondatta [DONE][Comedy][Surreal][Anti-Commercial

#2 Post by taigoesrawr »

Yay it's out now! here's my thoughts as I went through my first play through.
Only like a couple seconds into the game and I already love the humor. I just giggled like a school girl when the boyfriend's head popped off, lol. That sound effect though. :lol:

Oh my god.. "a bidet for chins" .. and that sound effect. I can't say I didn't get images in my head.

Can I just say how perfect the music fits the game so far? I mean when the copper appeared.. and Beretta said "Uh-oh...It's the police!" ..a nice delivery, it really does feel like a comedy.

So, the cops head just popped off after a red screen appeared so I'm pretty satisfied right now. I couldn't resist that "Fuck the police" option...and I was hoping to hear that "POP!" effect again and I did. Success.

It's so weird how ...oddly romantic the music sounds when you meet Jessica Machine. I almost felt like she could understand the hardship of committing murder. Like I could trust her? feels. I didn't feel like Jessica would be in trouble for murder though, I mean it was "self-defense" right? ... moving on.

I'm not sure why I'm barely starting to realize how insane Beretta really is. I felt like if she was real, she and I could be the best of friends ... If she wasn't completely insane ..and wanted for murder.

So Jessica DID address what I was wondering about earlier. I'm glad you actually decided to have her explain more about that in the letter she sent Beretta.

Oh my god! a option to talk about the dirty fridge! I'm glad the fridge didn't completely get left out. I was completely torn on that choice between cleaning the fridge or meeting with Jess.

I think Beretta is losing her mind a bit.. (well, even more so) cause she's hallucinating that Jess is mentioning her dead boyfriend who she's never met.

Uh.. Jess is out of this world. I hope there's an option to off her now. She's SUPER creepy.

Considering Rodrigo is now possessing Jess I'm positive there is a option to off them both, double whammy!

YES! DOUBLE KILL.

I got the ending "The Ghost In The Machine" and I liked it.

Overall it was a satisfying game and it's quite what I expected. I'm hoping for more games similar to this in the future. I feel you've proven the saying .. "less is more" with this game. Well done. :D

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

taigoesrawr wrote:Yay it's out now! here's my thoughts as I went through my first play through.
Wow, thanks for all the feedback, taigoesrawr! I always enjoy hearing which choices people make, and it was helpful for me to be able to follow along with which "route" you were on. :)

A couple of spoilery responses to things and fun facts:
I was so happy when I found that decapitation sound effect, too, since it was exactly what I wanted. It's actually the sound of a champagne bottle being opened. The blood spurting is someone spraying weed killer, and the heart crushing is someone crushing a piece of paper in their hand.

Making the music was fun! I gave each character their own theme with a little "hook" at the beginning to announce when they appear.

I won't spoil too much about what happens in other branches before other people have a chance to play, but I will say that things change pretty dramatically based on what you do at the very first choice. Also, there are a couple of "unsolved" mysteries from your ending that get wrapped up in other branches, like where the man with the gun comes from. I'm glad to hear it was a satisfying ending without there being any context for him, though.

Thanks for playing!

Image Image

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#4 Post by qirien »

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!! This was the funniest game I've played in a long time! In a morbid, tongue-in-cheek, Adventure Time-esque fashion. And the protagonist reminded me a bit of Chrysandra from my NanoReno project, WANTED: Dragon in that they're both hilariously self-centered and transparent.

Spoilery stuff:
The first ending I got was Mr. Gradenko. Nice to see an older man option, for once? Though, man, that beard...craggly!
I liked the subtle connections between endings. Time machines/alternate reality machines = awesome. And... so many endings! It would be nice to have a screen showing all of them so I can make sure I got them all.

I had to screencap being read my rights because it looked funny, and I was right. I wanna see the radioactive superpowers, now! :-D

Found three typos:
"Don't look at my like that, my dear": my instead of me
"Ripping off heads illegal in this country": missing an "is"
"OK, I have to got report you": got instead of go
I'm impressed you did the whole thing yourself - the minimalist sprites have perfect expressions, and the sound effects really added to the humor a lot. The only thing I would change
would be
the text
that you have to click
a lot of times
to go through.
In small doses
it's effective
but too much
wears out my space bar/mouse button!

Hope to see more hilarious things from you in the future!
Finished games:

YossarianIII
Veteran

#5 Post by YossarianIII »

qirien wrote:The only thing I would change
would be
the text
that you have to click
a lot of times
to go through.
In small doses
it's effective
but too much
wears out my space bar/mouse button!
I had to laugh at the formatting of this. :lol: If you can believe it, it used to be much worse. (Despite releasing One Night At Amphora first, this is the first game I actually started, so I got a little... overzealous on trying out some of the features.) I'll add it to the list for my next update.

And thanks for putting the typos in an easy-to-search format! If you don't have any objections, I'll definitely add you to the credits next update for playtesting/special thanks or something like that.

As for spoiler-related stuff and some tips on the endings:
Sounds like you've seen a wide variety of endings! If you got to part about alternate realities, you probably reached the bonus ending, "Synchronicity II"?

I was planning on posting a more detailed guide to the endings in the near future. There are 11 normal ones plus the 1 bonus.

The game splits at the very first decision. If you pay respects to Rodrigo you can reach 2 endings with Gus, 2 endings with Roxy, and 2 endings with Beretta alone. If you desecrate Rodrigo, you can reach 2 endings with Phil, 2 endings with Jessica, 1 ending with Beretta alone, and the bonus ending if you've met the requirements. Maybe in a future update I'll add something for completionists...

You know, it never occurred to me that taking screencaps would make it possible to read those whole Miranda rights. If I'd known that, I would've proofread them, lol. Another thing for the next update...
By the way, Wanted: Dragon has been in my "to-play" queue for a while now. I actually downloaded it originally because I thought it sounded similar to what I was trying to do in Beretta... then got side-tracked with Steam impulse-buys. But I always enjoy a good self-centered protagonist when it's played for humor, so I'll definitely check it out before I start my next project.

Image Image

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#6 Post by qirien »

Thanks, I think I did get all the endings. If you want to add me to the credits, I sure won't stop you! :-D

Enjoy WANTED: Dragon! If I make you laugh half as many times as I laughed during Beretta Mondatta (not gonna abbreviate that one...), I will consider it a success. :)
Finished games:

YossarianIII
Veteran

#7 Post by YossarianIII »

qirien wrote:Thanks, I think I did get all the endings.
That's awesome! I tried to design it so you only get the "full" story from seeing all the endings, but TBH, I had no idea how many people would see them all.

(Also, yes, if you were wondering, the crudeness of the abbreviation is intentional. :) I was more proud of that joke than I probably should've been... There are a couple other Easter eggs like that that I'll eventually mention in this thread if no one finds them.)

Image Image

Teasisters
Regular

#8 Post by Teasisters »

Even though the art is just stick-mans, the content got me laughing hard.

YossarianIII
Veteran

#9 Post by YossarianIII »

Glad you liked it, Teasisters!

Yes, going with stick limbs really saves a lot of hassle. No shadows or clothing wrinkles to deal with when drawing! :D

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran

Re: Beretta Mondatta [VN][Comedy][Surreal][Anti-Commercial]

#10 Post by YossarianIII »

There isn't an ending counter or a list of all the endings in the game yet, so in the meantime, I've included a list of all the ending names below for people who are curious. You may notice that there's a definite theme to the names...

Here's the list:
"Don't Stand So Close To Me (Because I Will Rip Your Goddamn Head Off)"
"J'aurais Toujour Faim De Toast"
"So Lonely"
"There's A Hole In My Life (And In My Abdomen)"
"Mr. Gradenko"
"Can't Stand Losing You (So I Will Lie About The Horrible Things I've Done)"
"Synchronicity I"
"Murder By Numbers"
"Ghost In The Machine"
"When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around (With A Djembe Drum)"
"Every Breath You Take (Could Be Your Last, If You Don't Shut Your Goddamn Mouth)"

Bonus: "Synchronicity II"
Also, I'm working on an update to fix some of the bugs and typos -- it'll be out fairly soon.

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran

#11 Post by YossarianIII »

So this is surreal... I just found the first Let's Play of a VN I made. It's pretty cool hearing someone else do all the voices and keep a running commentary!

Favorite comment from the video: "Oh my God, I feel so bad about my love life. A murderer in the park who pops off the head of her cheating boyfriend and a cop can find love quicker than me..."

Second favorite: "Beretta, I was with you until that moment [when you said you liked the smell of corpses], but that is the moment you lost me. Until that moment, I was like 'You go, girl!', but now I'm like 'Eww...'"

Favorite comment from the comment section: "You know she's taking this super well. I think they have Xanax in the water or something." (For the conversation when Jessica and Beretta discuss murder.)

Also: "I wonder who the old chef in a Confederate uniform was." (This was from a playthrough where they never saw Gus the mailman. Think they meant Union uniform, but I found it hilarious regardless.)

Here's the full thing:

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran

#12 Post by YossarianIII »

Just did a much-needed update -- the links above will now take you to the new version.

What's different:

*Removed
Unnecessary
Breaks
In
Text
That
Disrupted
Flow

*Fewer typos

*Updated playtesters in credits

*Added another reference to The Graduate

*Realized that there are lots of wonky text-display issues in full-screen mode. Attempted to fix them, then experienced great feelings of powerlessness against the sheer seeming arbitrariness of the bugs and decided not to do anything with them this update. I'd recommend window over full screen.

I also started putting together a trailer, which will be added to the page sometime in the next couple of days.

Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran

#13 Post by YossarianIII »

Well, it's not the Coen Brothers, but I got some footage during the tests for the new update and made a trailer:

Image Image

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#14 Post by Coren »

This looks hilarious! Downloading - the file is pretty big though.

YossarianIII
Veteran

#15 Post by YossarianIII »

Coren wrote:This looks hilarious! Downloading - the file is pretty big though.
Apologies for the file size -- it's way, way bigger than it needs to be (something I'm fixing with future games... and maybe an update to this game if things go well :) ). In my tests, itch.io's downloads have been faster than MediaFire's, if that helps.

Image Image