Anges Démoniaques [GxB romance, fantasy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Meg'
Regular
Projects: Anges Démoniaques, Gang (Alex & Hugo), Le passé dans les veines

Anges Démoniaques [GxB romance, fantasy]

#1 Post by Meg' »

ABOUT THE GAME:
Type: otome game, non-commercial
Genre: romance, fantasy

Available on:

Google play

and pc

Windows

Mac

Linux

Love interest: three guys
Language: french (english: translation dropped :/)
Resolution: 1280*720
Image Image
SUMMARY

"If you had to sell your soul to the devil to save someone dear to you, would you do it?

No matter what the number of signed contracts is, the quantity of spilled blood and the importance of broken lives.
Some things are unavoidable. Good and Evil.

Those two opposites blend, looking like each other, becoming unrecognizable. All that's left is to hope that this time, the end be different."

Past lives, parallel worlds, magical powers. Chiyo, the heroine, had never really thought about them.

She lived a quiet life with her parents until one day, while looking for a pack of bottled water in the basement, she discovers strange stuffed animals. After taking one of them, she feels something pushing her toward the door locked by her father and looses consciousness. As she comes to her senses, Chiyo doesn't recognize the family basement and realizes that she is not in her world anymore!

Between demons and magicians, Chiyo will have to choose a side.

To make things worst, the one who will decide her fate is none other than... The Devil himself!
CHARACTERS:

Aiden:
Type: Demon
Love interest 1
A pretentious demon who likes looking down on others and seems mysteriously connected to the heroine. He never misses a chance to remind her that she is only "human" and the differences separating them. His haughty front surely hides more than it seems...
Daemon:
Love interest 2
Devoted to the Devil, he executes his orders without any question. Despite being considered as his right hand man, Daemon is far from infallible. The sight of blood makes him strangely uneasy, as for his closed attitude, is it related to the "human" status of the heroine or does it hide something else?
The Devil:
Type: Demon king
Love interest 3
Elusive, dangereous and fear hating character. He asks of the heroine to discover the reason of her arrival in their world, otherwise he won't help her return in hers. Why does he appear so hateful to Chiyo when she only knew him recently? The reason for her arrival here seems inextricably related to that character... Maybe not so hateful after all?
Evan:
Type: Unclear
A magician. But is it all there is to know about him?
Gray:
Type: Magician
Very protective of the magician's clan, he's the first person the heroine met when crossing the barrier around the town of magicians.
Ronan:
Type: Demon?
A very mysterious being. Even though the Devil ordered him to watch over the heroine, his connection to the mighty demon is still unclear. Ronan, simply called Ron, seems to know some things he doesn't want to reveal.
Lucia:
Because she knows Chiyo is human, she hates her. Very attached to the demon world and law, she can't bear to know a weak being is breathing the same oxygen as her. Her powerful existence may cause some problems for the heroine...
SCREENSHOTS AND BACKGROUNDS:

ImageImageImageImage
If you liked the game, don't hesitate to follow me on Facebook and twitter.
Meg' (Writing, art, coding, programming, translation)
Roganis (music)
Adoxographist (translation and proofreading)

Thanks to CheeryMoya, Briannavon, Leon and Asceai who answered some questions I had about programming and gave me some help! :wink:
I hope you guys will enjoy the game.

I know most of you don't speak french, so don't worry! I'm working on the English version :wink: (adoxo did a great work of translating a large part of the script. I'll finish what's left). Once it's done, I may be in need of some proof-readers :D
Last edited by Meg' on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Anges Démoniaques [GxB romance, fantasy]

#2 Post by try10 »

I've always been a fan of fantasy games, so I'm going to play this one when the english version is released. :)

Bellethiel

#3 Post by Bellethiel »

Hmm... Time to learn french. Fast.
I will gladly play it when translation will be out. Looks promising!

scarlet62

#4 Post by scarlet62 »

i love the concept, but sadly i cannot speak nor understand french :(
i hope the translation ver coming out soon, as this already caught my eyes ^^

completelyaddicted21

#5 Post by completelyaddicted21 »

this looks amazing! can't wait to play it when the translated version comes out <3

Meg'
Regular

#6 Post by Meg' »

try10 wrote:I've always been a fan of fantasy games, so I'm going to play this one when the english version is released. :)
I'm working on the English version and hope to release it as soon as possible. I have a large part that was translated by Adoxographist, but there is still a lot to translate and I must do it alone. Because I'm not a native, I will need to have the translation be proofread by a native :D
Bellethiel wrote:Hmm... Time to learn french. Fast.
I will gladly play it when translation will be out. Looks promising!
Don't worry about learning french. The English version should be coming out soon, I hope by the end of the month (before if I can) :wink:
scarlet62 wrote:i love the concept, but sadly i cannot speak nor understand french :(
i hope the translation ver coming out soon, as this already caught my eyes ^^
I'm doing my best to release it as soon as I can. As I wrote to try10, I need to complete the translation and get it proofread to avoid mistakes. Anyway I am happy to know that it caught your eyes, I hope you'll enjoy the game when the English version is out! :P
completelyaddicted21 wrote:this looks amazing! can't wait to play it when the translated version comes out <3
Thanks! I spent a lot of time creating all of this, so it's nice to see there are already people that are interested by it :D

myuunie
Tumblr: myuun

#7 Post by myuunie »

This looks awesome! The story sounds fascinating, I can't wait for the English version of it!
My French is a bit too rusty to download it yet, but I definitely will try it out as soon as it comes out!
Thank you for making a translated version as well! ೕ(˃̵ᴗ˂̵ ๑)

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

#8 Post by DrSchizo »

As a fellow Frenchman, I had the chance to play to Anges Démoniaques and I really liked it.
It's a really nice written story, the ambiance is great and the graphism amazing. It's rare to see so many talents for one person.
I would love to be able to do a web version of it for Sandbox Adventure when the english version will be ready.
I died the first time trying to save the little deamon. Then, I reached the Devil good ending.
Don't really know what to say about the positive stuff (except I liked it), but here are some honest critiques about the things I liked less. Please, don't take it bad, I took the time to give this few negative feedbacks only because I really liked the rest of the game and would love to contribute to make it a little bit better:

Firstly, I'm not a big fan of the separation in chapters or there are too many of them. Sometime, the chapter panels come out of nowhere, right during a discussion. They don't bring any additional information. Maybe if chapters had titles, it could been interesting to have those panels. If not, I don't really see the point except distracting the reader.

That would be great to have a sprite for the Elder, since it is an important character.
In the Devil route, Lucia's dead is too short. She is victorious and in one sentence ("Une lumière violette l’entoura tout entière et alors que Lucia s’effondrait au sol, je découvris Gray, sceptre en main."), she's dead. Since it is a really important event, it would be nice to have a longer, clearer description. And since it is the Devil route, I don't understand why it is Gray that kills her and not the Devil (especially knowing she was the one killing Lamia).

Even if the heroin show courage at many time in the game, she's mostly passive. Her confrontation with Lucia in the Devil's route is too short and I would have loved if Chiyo could have been more active. She realized that Lucia that killed Lamia but tells it only to the Devil after the war ended while this information by itself could have stopped the war. Couldn't she realize it a little bit before and make this revelation a turning point in the battle?

The end of the war between Magician and Deamons in the Devil route is not enough explained. The Elder says the spell is dispelled and right after, the heroin says the war is over. But the link between both is not obvious.

There is a lack of female characters. They are either physicaly weak (Chiyo), dead (Lamia) or evil and source of problems (Lucia). It is too bad one of the magician is not a woman. Or maybe if Chiyo was a bit more active in Lucia's defeat...
Agzin, this critics might sound harsh, but I only make them because I liked the game ;)

Moreover, I checked the script file and here are some technical remarks that could be useful for your next project:

# Dividing the game in labels

Labels are great to make the text clearer. You could have made that:

Code: Select all

menu:
    "Le chat":
        jump aiden_route
    "Le dragon avec son épée de feu":
        jump luce_route
    "L’aigle":
        jump daemon_route

label aiden_route:
    [...]

label luce_route:
    [...]

label daemon_route:
    [...]
That would have save you a lot of useless identation ;)
Moreover, you could have then separate the script in several files, one per route. It would have then been easier to scroll up and down.

# Character with associated image tag

It is possible to link displayed images to one character so you don't have to hide and show their sprites everytime you want to change their expression.

image ap1 neutre = "ap1_neutre.png"
image ap1 furieux = "ap1_furieux.png"
image ap1 gene = "ap1_gene.png"
define Aiden = Character ('Aiden', image='ap1')
[...]
show ap1 neutre
Aiden "I'm angry."
show ap1 furieux # no need to hide ap1 neutre, it is automatic!
Aiden "I'm furieux."
[...]
# or even better:
show ap1 neutre
Aiden "I'm normal."
Aiden furieux "I'm angry."
Aiden gene "I'm confused."
More information here.

I hope this could have been of any use!

Meg'
Regular

#9 Post by Meg' »

myunie > thanks! I'll inform you guys as soon as the translation is ready :)

DrSchizo >

Thank you for that honest criticism. I won't take it badly because it's a fair comment and you pointed a few things that are totally true.
For the Elder, you're totally right. I am aware I should have done a sprite and maybe I'll add it later in an updated version. I must confess that the reason for his absence is that I worked on the game for so long, I just wanted it to be released. I wanted to be able to turn a page and work on something else (it took more than a year to work on it) :D

In fact, Gray kills her because initially I wanted him to have a route. He has a past with Lucia and she did a lot to him, but I didn't write the story (the reason is the same for the Elder). I wanted to make five love interests for Chiyo and Gray was one of them. But I decided to make it only three and see if I still had the will to keep on working on the story (that wasn't the case and I thought I was too greedy to have thought about making five love interests).
About
Gray killing Lucia
:
Normally, (huge spoil if I should ever write Gray's route) the mark he has on his arm was kind of a malediction that Lucia cast on him to make him live forever. As you know, Devils and Magicians really hated each other. Lucia fell in love with Gray, but Gray didn't have any feelings for her. The mark is her revenge, because Gray will see all the people he cares for die without him ever dying. Morever, when his little brother and her sister died, Lucia stole their souls so that they can't rest in peace. All of that is the main reason Gray is the one to kill Lucia.

I know it only makes sense if I write Gray's route (and maybe I will).
About the female characters:
As for the females characters in the story, I really didn't see it like that so you make a point. It's true that Lamia is dead, Lucia gets killed and Chiyo doesn't really do anything by herself (but it can also be explained by the fact that when you are in foreign territory, even if you're courageous, there are a lot of things you don't know about. That means you will often need to rely on the others before being able to do something).
About the spell:
The spell is the whole story in itself. The very first choice you have to make is choose between the cat, the eagle and the dragon (I wanted to allow the player to play the dragon only as a last choice, but I'll explain it later when talking about the code :p). Those choices are the spell. Lucia cast also a spell on Lamia to make her hate the Devil. She also made her believe that the one who killed her was him.

You can choose the Devil as a last choice because the spell won't allow you to do anything else. When the Elder says that the spell is broken, he is talking about the spell that was cast on Chiyo. There is no spell causing the war. Lamia wanted to protect her people and also prevent another war to happen, so she decided to place a barrier in the forest around the town of Magicians. But placing a barrier didn't solve anything. Chiyo is hearing her voice saying "to put an end to it, you have to kill it". Initially, she thought Lamia was talking about the Devil but in fact it was about the conflict.

Chiyo realized it only when Lucia try to kill her with the sword because the sight of her with that sword was so similar to when Lamia died, it brings back the memory of her death, revealing the identity of the killer.
About the chapters:

I thought about giving title to each chapter, but didn't do it thinking it wouldn't be useful. I think I'll keep that idea for my next project ^^

About the script:

Thank you for your suggestions. I am already using it in my next project, but when working on Anges Démoniaques I didn't know about it. I know the code is a little... Messy, haha :oops:

There is only one thing about hiding image. It is automatic? I don't have to use "hide" each time? :shock:

And lastly if I understand correctly, Sandbox Adventure allows the player to play on the game online?

So thank you for your comment with both positive and negative points. That is helpful! :)

I am happy to know that you enjoyed the game anyway :wink:

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

#10 Post by DrSchizo »

There is only one thing about hiding image. It is automatic? I don't have to use "hide" each time? :shock:
Yes, indeed. Ren'Py recognizes that it is another version of the same sprite and therefore hide the other one.
You shouldn't be ashamed of your code. You missed few tricks but at least, it is well organized. Many authors don't know about that technic, even if it is such a time saver! One third of the game I've converted to HTML5 were done without it.
And lastly if I understand correctly, Sandbox Adventure allows the player to play on the game online?
Yes, you can see the converted games here: http://sandbox-adventure.com/

It is fairly easy to keep Luce's route for the end, thanks to persistent datas.
You can save persistent variables at the end of each route:

# At the end of Deamon's route
$ persistent.deamon_ending = True
# At the end of Aiden's route
$ persistent.aiden_ending = True
Then, in the menu:

menu:
    "Le chat":
        jump aiden_route
    "L’aigle":
        jump daemon_route
    "Le dragon avec son épée de feu": if persistent.deamon_ending and persistent.aiden_ending
        jump luce_route
The last choice will then be available only if both other routes have been completed at least once.

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#11 Post by sakurakimuchi »

Wait, wait we can actually date Satan in the game? LMAO. I don't know why, but I'm cracking up right now, this is so funny, but dang, you just took GxB games to whole different level.

Kirlett
Regular

#12 Post by Kirlett »

I'll wait for the english version :D
But it's nice seeing someone making otomes in another language other than english or japanese. If only there were more otomes in Spanish ;_; <3

gypsy4191

#13 Post by gypsy4191 »

Ohh this looks awesome~!

Meg'
Regular

#14 Post by Meg' »

DrSchizo > thank you! That will be pretty useful :D

sakurakimuchi > yes, we can date the Devil. But why not? There are a lot of games out there about Gods, Demons, Angels... So why not the Devil himself? Moreover, it's not really the Devil, I made him a character of fiction because his personality and appearance were something I created ^^

Kirlett > The otomes games are beginning to invade the french market. Those aren't from large companies but it is coming.
Sadly, I don't speak spanish but if I had studied it, I would have gladly translated my game into spanish ;) I only learned english, italian and french (my native language) at school. But translating my game into italian would be... Complicated, as I don't practice it regurlarly :wink:

gypsy4191 > Thank you! :oops:

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#15 Post by Ran08 »

Oh my gosh. This looks so awesome! <3

Wish I could play it. Huhuhu. I've been learning French for more than half a year now, and it's kinda exciting to try reading original French material. (But... but... my laptop is broken at the moment so I won't be playing games for a while...) Congratulations on the release though! :")