19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
nanna4673
Regular
Completed: A Question Of Normalcy
Projects: Magari
Tumblr: Kajilia
Deviantart: ferris4673
itch: nanna4673

19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN

#1 Post by nanna4673 »

An experimental visual novel set over the course of 19 hours.

It is created within 19 hours as well(with help from good friends like Monster and Red Bull) and tries to illustrate just how hard it can be to do simple tasks like going to school, when you're dealing with depression or the like.

There are 3 endings with different variations

Warning: Dark themes like suicide and murder

Download: http://nanna4673.itch.io/19-hours

I think I will take a nap now........... I don't know how this came to, but it confirmed my suspicion: I am completely and utterly out of my mind.
Finished projects:
A Question Of Normalcy - Contemporary VN, NaNoReno 2017: https://nanna4673.itch.io/a-question-of-normalcy

Magari - Contemporary, Slice of life, Romance VN for NaNoRenO 2019: https://nanna4673.itch.io/magari

Older projects:
19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN: http://nanna4673.itch.io/19-hours

Choice - Short visual novel for NaNoRenO 2015: http://nanna4673.itch.io/choice

Dreamcatcher - Supernatural, psychological, mystery VN: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39810

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

Re: 19 Hours - Experimental, psychological VN

#2 Post by FonaCall »

Hey there, I downloaded the game and played it.
I must say, I figured the main character was more or less just doing shit to make the weekend last, but dayumn, that is an intense few hours.

Lol, there are hints that the main character might just, I dunno, jump from the window to fall just so he wouldn't have to go to school the next day, but I guess I won't be getting that ending. Hahahaha. (I got the distance ending. I guess I got pretty reserved there. Lelz.)

It reminds me of when we were still attending school... There really are times that we would just wanna stay up late and try to slow down whatever the next day (school day) is gonna bring. Also, the mom there reminds me of our mom. She was also the type to take care of every little detail like meals, sleep, grades, etc. but she didn't quite know these other stuff like our thoughts on things, our hobbies, etc.

Stuff I am clueless/thinking about:

- I am still curious about that blue door... Where the fuck does it lead to and where did he see it? Is it at school? Is it from a dream?
- Is he really talking to himself or some other entity?
- The hour he takes doing most of the actions... Does he only do that thing you decide for him to do, or is it implied he does something else other than, say, look out the window?
I might try and play it again in hopes of another ending, but I think I'll leave it like that for now. Good game, good game.

- Piet
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

nanna4673
Regular

#3 Post by nanna4673 »

FonaCall wrote:Hey there, I downloaded the game and played it.
I must say, I figured the main character was more or less just doing shit to make the weekend last, but dayumn, that is an intense few hours.

Lol, there are hints that the main character might just, I dunno, jump from the window to fall just so he wouldn't have to go to school the next day, but I guess I won't be getting that ending. Hahahaha. (I got the distance ending. I guess I got pretty reserved there. Lelz.)

It reminds me of when we were still attending school... There really are times that we would just wanna stay up late and try to slow down whatever the next day (school day) is gonna bring. Also, the mom there reminds me of our mom. She was also the type to take care of every little detail like meals, sleep, grades, etc. but she didn't quite know these other stuff like our thoughts on things, our hobbies, etc.

- I am still curious about that blue door... Where the fuck does it lead to and where did he see it? Is it at school? Is it from a dream?
- The hour he takes doing most of the actions... Does he only do that thing you decide for him to do, or is it implied he does something else other than, say, look out the window?
I might try and play it again in hopes of another ending, but I think I'll leave it like that for now. Good game, good game.

- Piet

Hello! First of all thank you for playing my game, really it means a lot!
And well getting the distant ending is the easiest because, it is always easy to ignore problems and distance yourself from them – at least I think soXD
As for your questions I hate to be vague but a big part of this game is trying to find your own meaning with it. I can give you the answers, but I would rather have you find your own :D Interpreting is a very big part of it – just like you can interpret the gender of the main character yourself ^^

As for getting different endings here’s a little help:
Looking out of the window a lot makes Alex overthink things in a negative way
Writing in the journal can help Alex understand their feelings
Sleeping and watching TV makes Alex forget about the world
And chatting with friends can have different outcomes
Oh and Alex’ relationship with the mother can also effect one of the endings ^_^
Again thank you so much for playing, I really appreciate it!^w^

Love Nanna
Finished projects:
A Question Of Normalcy - Contemporary VN, NaNoReno 2017: https://nanna4673.itch.io/a-question-of-normalcy

Magari - Contemporary, Slice of life, Romance VN for NaNoRenO 2019: https://nanna4673.itch.io/magari

Older projects:

Dreamcatcher - Supernatural, psychological, mystery VN: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39810

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#4 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I went ahead and gave this a try and
I was left with many questions. I didn't dare going through ALL of the endings and I tried my best to vary things up so I won't accidentally have the main character commit suicide, which is something I get anxious over a lot, so the endings I got was Distance and Awareness (twice). An objective comment would be that I got very confused by the time-- When Mom said that he had school at 5, I thought it was 5 AM. Guess I was wrong. I also seemed to be sent immediately back to the beginning of the story, but with... a variation in the dialogue? I'm not sure if this is a mistake or I just accidentally clicked on something.

The rest of this won't be objective comments on your VN, sorry.

Speaking as someone who doesn't have depression and have a... lot of depressed friends, I kind of approached this like a scared animal: I didn't want to disturb the character, all the while not wanting them to do anything brash either. I honestly felt a pang when I chatted with the friends. It's... They don't seem to notice anything, and honestly, other than that moment with Erik, I kind of worried that it might make things worse. But how does Alex feel about their friends? I don't know. Was they okay or maybe even happy? Was they bitter? I don't know, and in a way, that's what's terrifying about this. I guessed that the window would be a bad idea to check at night-- if not depression, I'd imagine there would be other Scary things one could "see" while sleep deprived, let's just say-- so I steered away from doing it too often. For a while, I thought a look at nature would be good for them, though, so there's that :'p But before I ramble out of topic any further, I'd like to say that I'm glad I got the ending where Alex at least sees one beautiful sight.

I'm glad the mother seems to be aware of her child's problem in the Awareness ending, though. I wish them the best.
That was primarily rambling, and I'm not sure if it's any use for you as a VN writer. But I might as well post it, so there you go.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

nanna4673
Regular

#5 Post by nanna4673 »

Ghost of Crux wrote:I went ahead and gave this a try and
I was left with many questions. I didn't dare going through ALL of the endings and I tried my best to vary things up so I won't accidentally have the main character commit suicide, which is something I get anxious over a lot, so the endings I got was Distance and Awareness (twice). An objective comment would be that I got very confused by the time-- When Mom said that he had school at 5, I thought it was 5 AM. Guess I was wrong. I also seemed to be sent immediately back to the beginning of the story, but with... a variation in the dialogue? I'm not sure if this is a mistake or I just accidentally clicked on something.

The rest of this won't be objective comments on your VN, sorry.

Speaking as someone who doesn't have depression and have a... lot of depressed friends, I kind of approached this like a scared animal: I didn't want to disturb the character, all the while not wanting them to do anything brash either. I honestly felt a pang when I chatted with the friends. It's... They don't seem to notice anything, and honestly, other than that moment with Erik, I kind of worried that it might make things worse. But how does Alex feel about their friends? I don't know. Was they okay or maybe even happy? Was they bitter? I don't know, and in a way, that's what's terrifying about this. I guessed that the window would be a bad idea to check at night-- if not depression, I'd imagine there would be other Scary things one could "see" while sleep deprived, let's just say-- so I steered away from doing it too often. For a while, I thought a look at nature would be good for them, though, so there's that :'p But before I ramble out of topic any further, I'd like to say that I'm glad I got the ending where Alex at least sees one beautiful sight.

I'm glad the mother seems to be aware of her child's problem in the Awareness ending, though. I wish them the best.

That was primarily rambling, and I'm not sure if it's any use for you as a VN writer. But I might as well post it, so there you go.

Hello, thank you for your response and for playing my game! The thing that could be a bug, could you perhaps tell me, where you found it, so I can check it out?

As for the other things you said:
I’m very aware that the game covers some very tender subjects, and of course this is only my take on depression and other mental problems(As I can only speak for what I myself felt in those times, and what I’ve heard from friends). Since I set the insane goal of making the game in 19 hours, I sadly didn’t have time to go into detail and flesh out as much as I would have liked. Instead I chose to show those things through metaphors, such as the one with the birds. I can tell you about that one: The birds flying away is something I wanted to be in the game very badly because of the closeness it has to me personally. It is supposed to symbolize Alex’s fear of being left behind, because their depression drags them down. Of how maybe their friends goes to school and finds new friends while they are staying at home, resting because of depression. But at the same time, Alex feels so relived to finally allow themself the rest and can still feel happy for their friends.
This got a little ranty as well, I hope you don’t mind. I’m very aware that this game is far from perfect, but I still like the outcome. I like to challenge myself, and I certainly did with this game.

Thank you again for playing!
Love Nanna
Finished projects:

Older projects:

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

nanna4673 wrote:Hello, thank you for your response and for playing my game! The thing that could be a bug, could you perhaps tell me, where you found it, so I can check it out?

I’m very aware that the game covers some very tender subjects, and of course this is only my take on depression and other mental problems(As I can only speak for what I myself felt in those times, and what I’ve heard from friends). Since I set the insane goal of making the game in 19 hours, I sadly didn’t have time to go into detail and flesh out as much as I would have liked. Instead I chose to show those things through metaphors, such as the one with the birds. I can tell you about that one: The birds flying away is something I wanted to be in the game very badly because of the closeness it has to me personally. It is supposed to symbolize Alex’s fear of being left behind, because their depression drags them down. Of how maybe their friends goes to school and finds new friends while they are staying at home, resting because of depression. But at the same time, Alex feels so relived to finally allow themself the rest and can still feel happy for their friends.
I simply played the game and got the Distant ending, but I can't really remember what I chose. I think I slept at first, then did... things. The only options I went with was Sleep/Chat with friends, though, with looking through the window once or twice and writing in journal once I think. Sorry I can't give you anymore details ><
If that's the implied metaphor, then I think you did a good job. Perhaps if you're looking to update the game and rewrite it to be more clear, I'd say add more to the message through other means-- perhaps Misty and Erik discussing their futures during the chats, or expressing more positive feelings about school. Regardless, though, I like the metaphor you're going for. The Awareness ending is especially nice-- they saw the birds flying away as something beautiful still, and that's a bright spot to this all :')
Image Image

nanna4673
Regular

#7 Post by nanna4673 »

Ghost of Crux wrote:
nanna4673 wrote:Hello, thank you for your response and for playing my game! The thing that could be a bug, could you perhaps tell me, where you found it, so I can check it out?

I simply played the game and got the Distant ending, but I can't really remember what I chose. I think I slept at first, then did... things. The only options I went with was Sleep/Chat with friends, though, with looking through the window once or twice and writing in journal once I think. Sorry I can't give you anymore details ><
If that's the implied metaphor, then I think you did a good job. Perhaps if you're looking to update the game and rewrite it to be more clear, I'd say add more to the message through other means-- perhaps Misty and Erik discussing their futures during the chats, or expressing more positive feelings about school. Regardless, though, I like the metaphor you're going for. The Awareness ending is especially nice-- they saw the birds flying away as something beautiful still, and that's a bright spot to this all :')

Oh well, I'll try looking into it soon!XD
As for updating the game to fix anything else but bugs... I probably won't be doing that anytime soon. I think one of the things that make this game special to me is the short amount of time it was completed in. It is far from perfect, and I litterally got an idea and then began working. A lot of things could have been done better, but this is the way it is now ^^
Maybe one day I will update it and flesh it out more! Until then thank you again for playing! ^w^
Finished projects:

Older projects:

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Good luck finding how it happen!

And that's understandable-- I think you wrote something pretty great for that amount of time, especially when you have to take into account everything else. Twas my pleasure!
Image Image

FonaCall
Regular

#9 Post by FonaCall »

nanna4673 wrote:
FonaCall wrote:Hey there, I downloaded the game and played it.

- Piet

Hello! First of all thank you for playing my game, really it means a lot!
And well getting the distant ending is the easiest because, it is always easy to ignore problems and distance yourself from them – at least I think soXD
As for your questions I hate to be vague but a big part of this game is trying to find your own meaning with it. I can give you the answers, but I would rather have you find your own :D Interpreting is a very big part of it – just like you can interpret the gender of the main character yourself ^^

As for getting different endings here’s a little help:
Looking out of the window a lot makes Alex overthink things in a negative way
Writing in the journal can help Alex understand their feelings
Sleeping and watching TV makes Alex forget about the world
And chatting with friends can have different outcomes
Oh and Alex’ relationship with the mother can also effect one of the endings ^_^
Again thank you so much for playing, I really appreciate it!^w^

Love Nanna
Oh, being vague is cool. (Come on, you did this awesome game in like, 19 hours. How can you not?)

Heck yeah, I can answer my own questions!
Regarding gender, I suppose Alex can be a guy or girl. I chose guy, cause I'm a guy. Hahahahahahaha! lol immersion.

The blue door scene looks pretty dream-like, but at the same time, it could be a symbol for something. Freedom?

I would imagine he is talking to himself, cause we do that too. Sorry if it's creepy.

With the hour per action... There's always that someone who just thinks and stares into space.
About that bug Ghost of Crux mentioned. I got it too. (Got the distance ending, like, twice. In that second time, I kept playing and I got right back to the beginning. Not sure what happened. I was just doing what I felt like.)

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

nanna4673
Regular

#10 Post by nanna4673 »

FonaCall wrote:
Oh, being vague is cool. (Come on, you did this awesome game in like, 19 hours. How can you not?)

Regarding gender, I suppose Alex can be a guy or girl. I chose guy, cause I'm a guy. Hahahahahahaha! lol immersion.

The blue door scene looks pretty dream-like, but at the same time, it could be a symbol for something. Freedom?

I would imagine he is talking to himself, cause we do that too. Sorry if it's creepy.

With the hour per action... There's always that someone who just thinks and stares into space.
About that bug Ghost of Crux mentioned. I got it too. (Got the distance ending, like, twice. In that second time, I kept playing and I got right back to the beginning. Not sure what happened. I was just doing what I felt like.)

Thank you very much!
Well the main characters gender was at first female - because surprise, I'm female! XD-but I decided to make it gender neutral instead, giving them a gender neutral name - because depression happens to everyone, not just one gender.

And don't worry, I talk to myself too!XD I did a lot of it, while working on the game, since sitting Down working for19 hours straight can be a Little straining on the mind, hahaXD
Aw, man I really need to try nd find that bug!O_O
Finished projects:

Older projects:

FonaCall
Regular

#11 Post by FonaCall »

nanna4673 wrote:
FonaCall wrote:

Thank you very much!
Well the main characters gender was at first female - because surprise, I'm female! XD-but I decided to make it gender neutral instead, giving them a gender neutral name - because depression happens to everyone, not just one gender.

And don't worry, I talk to myself too!XD I did a lot of it, while working on the game, since sitting Down working for19 hours straight can be a Little straining on the mind, hahaXD
Aw, man I really need to try nd find that bug!O_O
Yeah, depression does affect everyone. We have bouts of it too. I like how this game tackles this subject.
Regarding the bug... Maybe you didn't put in return at the end of the code for the distant ending? Or something like that?