Senpai, Please Look at me! [GxB] [Otome, Slice-of-Life]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Senpai, Please Look at me! [GxB] [Otome, Slice-of-Life]

#31 Post by runeraccoon »

LMAO Too much testosterone if James' sprites ended up BARECHESTED ARE YOU KIDDING ME. #GUSHES
I want James for MC but I want Senpai for myself does that even make sense.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and would love to see more from you and your team!

YzzaPizzaIsCheezy
Regular
Completed: Best Friends
Projects: Sweet and Spices (NaNo'16)
Organization: Pastelle Studios, Classical Projects

#32 Post by YzzaPizzaIsCheezy »

I vote for James.

Doodled
Tumblr: doodledmcfroodled

#33 Post by Doodled »

silversporksama wrote: I'M GLAD I'M SO GLAD and im especially since you liked the protag as well!! One thing I've noticed in a big chunk of otoge is that the heroine is either too much of a blank slate (which kind of works if you want to project yourself, or if there's a large cast of pursuable characters), or unlikeable in some way ("a pushover", "passive", etc... I personally don't mind those traits but that very set happens far too often...)
shhh let's keep this a secret for now, my friend :3c who knows when that game-locking data may come of use in a future project...
Yeah, there's always a bit of room in my heart for some wild train-of-thought and GRADE-A SASS.
Considering I've been planning on using this secret for a thing of my own... Perhaps keeping it secret would be a good idea...

... Also I'll keep it secret because you insist. :P

... Also, I named Senpai "Dennis"
Oh, also, a bit of a bug report:
After you've gotten the "good" secret ending with Senpai having a name, the conversation with James bugs out a little - the protag guesses the name of Senpai's friend, James gives a disapproval... then the protag guesses the same name again, triggering a more generic disapproval.

silversporksama
Regular
Completed: Senpai WataMite, Last Couple Minutes
Organization: Tokkimeki
Tumblr: Tokkimeki
Deviantart: Tokkimeki
itch: tokkimeki

#34 Post by silversporksama »

MimirollCookie wrote:Kyaaa!~
Hope you like it! (•///•)
sketch-1456030003062.jpg
;____; MimirollCookie this is literally the first piece of James fanart we have ever received oh my goodness would it be alright for me to share it (with credit of course) on our pages? mmfkmgkdkf its so cute its too cute
fuicchi wrote:LMAO Too much testosterone if James' sprites ended up BARECHESTED ARE YOU KIDDING ME. #GUSHES
I want James for MC but I want Senpai for myself does that even make sense.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and would love to see more from you and your team!
THAT MAKES SENSE SHHH DONTCHU WORRY, FRIEND.

Do expect an attempt at something for NaNoRenO this year! I'm mostly saying this to a lot of people so I don't forget ahaha...
YzzaPizzaIsCheezy wrote:I vote for James.
THATS 6 POINTS FOR OUR J-BOY can senpai catch up to that with only 3?!
Doodled wrote:Yeah, there's always a bit of room in my heart for some wild train-of-thought and GRADE-A SASS.

Oh, also, a bit of a bug report:
After you've gotten the "good" secret ending with Senpai having a name, the conversation with James bugs out a little - the protag guesses the name of Senpai's friend, James gives a disapproval... then the protag guesses the same name again, triggering a more generic disapproval.
OOOH BOY I THOUGHT WE GOT RID OF THAT ONE it actually popped up a few other times before but hey I'm just thankful it's just a small bug :( we've gone through much bigger ones in testing and I hope those don't pop up with anyone (for example, that exact one... on infinite loop.)

As for the heroine!! At initial planning, we were hoping to really exaggerate her personality. Like, not just a big personality but a HUGE AND OVERWHELMING fangirl presence :)) I was also hoping to channel a bit of the heroine Hiyoko from Hatoful Boyfriend but I think in the end it all simmered down to something fairly relatable...? (for the team at least)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#35 Post by MimirollCookie »

silversporksama wrote:
MimirollCookie wrote:Kyaaa!~
Hope you like it! (•///•)
sketch-1456030003062.jpg
;____; MimirollCookie this is literally the first piece of James fanart we have ever received oh my goodness would it be alright for me to share it (with credit of course) on our pages? mmfkmgkdkf its so cute its too cute
Sure! I don't mind!

silversporksama
Regular

#36 Post by silversporksama »

By the way, since James is currently leading the popularity poll... I think a quick drawing from yesterday might be relevant.

aaaaand I also updated the main post, in case you guys want to give us a follow on our social media pages for the occasional updates!

SleepingKing

#37 Post by SleepingKing »

Been snooping around here but haven't commented on anything. Might as well start now as I really liked this vn!

I'll be brief:

The walk through wasn't available when I played the vn. I was getting frustrated a bit through it knowing there were five endings. I wanted to get Senpai's endings first ....nope. lmao I got James best ending first. I was so confused. I thought I had selected the answers that would get Senpai. After that I got James good ending and then the bad ending.

After a few more bad ends...I began to speculate.
I was beginning to think that maybe there was no Senpai ending despite noting that there were 5 endings. I had the theory that maybe James was actually some mild form of a Yandere and he was preventing Senpai from meeting up on the rooftop. XD
Of course, I realized the ideas was waaay too out there. Eventually I figured out the points I was missing with the choices and got Senpai's good ending and then his best ending.

I really can't say who I like more. I seriously can't pick. The primary issue is how short it is and that can't be helped. You get a taste of their character tropes but I can't really get attached to either of them like I can with some characters. I like delving into the history of characters, I understand that this game isn't to be that way. Like, what was the real reason for liking Senpai? Of course, that's only ever meant to be answered by the player click of a choice box.
Nevertheless the small interactions are interesting and the dialogue is quite natural! Both characters amused me greatly!

And gee, that extra content was great!
Ah this motivates me to want to start learning how to code with this type of complexity.

I enjoy meta. Hit me right in the feels.

Naming Senpai was really nice. I ran through the list of names that were all already used into the game. Nice attention to detail. After Senpai's response I honestly felt like such a douche by typing in Senpai, Kana, and James as names for him but you know, curiosity's sake.

I had in my mind that Senpai's name started with a D or K. I don't know why. Some names that popped into my mind: Dennis, Darren, Daimion, Kellam, Kaito, or Ken. I went with Kaito.
On a side note:
It's not that big of a secret about how to screw around with certain files to do a reset. I already did it. XD Then again, I have experience in manipulating such things.
Last edited by SleepingKing on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversporksama
Regular

#38 Post by silversporksama »

SleepingKing wrote:Been snooping around here but haven't commented on anything. Might as well start now as I really liked this vn!
Boy would I like to apologize for a late response to this! OTL
(Reading your post earlier this week got me super giddy, and reading it again as I type this is getting all those gush-y feelings back aaaa) And pardon the sadistic remark but I absolutely love hearing about people's (mis)adventure is playing through without a walkthrough! Plot speculation is always so great to hear~
Although it seems like people are getting closer and closer to a certain hinted secret about the game. Not really gameplay wise, but in regards to development history :3c
I'm glad to hear that despite some exaggeration here and there, dialogue seemed natural! Currently, we're trying to work out a way to flesh out the characters a bit more since making a sequel or something would be... far too much;;; rest assured these kids will get a bit more fleshing out over time. Little by little.
I haven't touched the game since release so... May I ask if the Q&A portion included the first kiss question? because that was fun to work on and I don't remember which questions we ended up tossing in there in the end.
A good chunk of my scrapped ideas had a character go meta in some way (like, one per game) so I do hope you'll be able to try one of them out should we revive them ^^ ehehe
In regards to the naming... I'm glad someone finally tried that trick out! I was worried I had to drop more hints...
We're getting awfully close to something...
And shhhh :3c
In all honesty, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else on the forums try it out before we did! It's really simple, but I swear I have other plans for some of that data so ya'll shouldn't be messing around with it too much.

tsunafishsisyis

#39 Post by tsunafishsisyis »

AHAHAHAHAH OH MY GOD I REFUSED TO GIVE SENPAI A NAME I AM A HORIBBLE PERSON
Anyway, I thought the game was great! I'd gotten all the endings and would indeed have left it there if I hadn't read through the thread. So I played it through again and managed to get to the bonus content, and let me just say, that was extremely well done. I wanna learn how to code that well now.
Also, Cielo. Is that name particularly important? And I'm also wondering if going into the 'game' file and then deleting everything in 'saves' will make everything go back to the way it was when I first started playing.

silversporksama
Regular

#40 Post by silversporksama »

tsunafishsisyis wrote:
AHAHAHAHAH OH MY GOD I REFUSED TO GIVE SENPAI A NAME I AM A HORIBBLE PERSON
Anyway, I thought the game was great! I'd gotten all the endings and would indeed have left it there if I hadn't read through the thread. So I played it through again and managed to get to the bonus content, and let me just say, that was extremely well done. I wanna learn how to code that well now.
Also, Cielo. Is that name particularly important? And I'm also wondering if going into the 'game' file and then deleting everything in 'saves' will make everything go back to the way it was when I first started playing.
JUST THE RIGHT BRAND OF HORRIBLE WE NEEDED i was wondering if anyone else has tried that out heehee (and that's another step closer to a thing)
I'm growing to appreciate how curious all of you guys are here, stumbling into that side from spoilers. Ehehe~
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game, tsunafishsiyis! ^^ And thank you so much for the feedback and kind words~
I can't disclose any answers to both questions at the moment, but may I ask... uh... why you ask? That was worded weirdly, I apologize. But I'm curious to see... ah... the reason for your curiosity OTL

sonorousgem
Regular

#41 Post by sonorousgem »

Wow this was a lot of fun! very cool and well-made! It was really cute and hard to choose between James & Senpai
(but I got James's endings first and then was really frustrated because I couldn't get the other ones)
and then
the meta stuff! I WAS SO CREEPED THAT THINGS KEPT CHANGING THE SYSTEM WAS GETTING ALL MESSED UP I THOUGHT SENPAI WAS GOING TO MURDER ME AND KANA but then I found the truth and it was really sweet! :)
I was very impressed :)

silversporksama
Regular

#42 Post by silversporksama »

sonorousgem wrote:Wow this was a lot of fun! very cool and well-made! It was really cute and hard to choose between James & Senpai
(but I got James's endings first and then was really frustrated because I couldn't get the other ones)
and then
the meta stuff! I WAS SO CREEPED THAT THINGS KEPT CHANGING THE SYSTEM WAS GETTING ALL MESSED UP I THOUGHT SENPAI WAS GOING TO MURDER ME AND KANA but then I found the truth and it was really sweet! :)
I was very impressed :)
Aaah, I'm glad to hear you had fun *^* There's actually this funny(?) dev story regarding something you mentioned but I have to keep it a secret for a while apparently. It always makes me super giddy to read comments like this, I swear. (It's probably obvious enough already tho;;;)

Also, might I ask if you ever did manage to decide upon your favorite character among them, despite that bit of conflict you had? :3c
This poll will go on forever, I swear.

sonorousgem
Regular

#43 Post by sonorousgem »

Hahaha although Senpai is probably the kind of guy I would go for irl I've realized that I'm extremely introverted (like him) and so conversations would be awkward and too hard (LOL), while James is already the best bud and super easy to talk to. So James XD

StrangeoneXD

#44 Post by StrangeoneXD »

Hi ho! Sorry I'm rather late to this game, I actually got here through tvtropes! It was quite fun! I felt bad for senpai so I kept trying to get his route and like failed but I'm happy I was able to get his best ending in the end!
I really like that ending with kana and them all sharing a cake with the player. It was super sweet! I also liked how after that we basically got a friendship end with all three of them! I kinda felt bad for James after he was erased so I named my character James after that huhu. Also I was like wait... when senpai changed his dream dialogue. It was really fun though! Poor senpai, he must have been really lonely to never get his end. I named him conor, for strong will, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be worse off if they were in his situation so I thought he must have been strong willed to have resisted temptation to tamper for so long. James must have been really lonely after being deleted though considering how he hugs Kana. I'm glad all three of them got a happy end in the end.Haha,sorry I wasn't too weirded out, but I kinda played this game after undertale and dokidoki literature club, so it was bit bittersweet like chocolate instead, since Senpai just felt sad and lonely. But I'm really glad there was a happy end for even Kana
Thanks for making such a sweet game!