Senpai, Please Look at me! [GxB] [Otome, Slice-of-Life]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
silversporksama
Regular
Completed: Senpai WataMite, Last Couple Minutes
Organization: Tokkimeki
Tumblr: Tokkimeki
Deviantart: Tokkimeki
itch: tokkimeki

Senpai, Please Look at me! [GxB] [Otome, Slice-of-Life]

#1 Post by silversporksama »

SYNOPSIS
It's Valentines's day, the most dreaded day of all, but as a typical shoujo heroine type character you are definitely prepared for its' outcome - however the heck it may turn out to be.
Armed with a box of homemade chocolates full of your love, you embark on a one-day quest to hunt down senpai and GIVE IT TO HIM STRAIGHT.
It won't be like all those previous failed years at all, you hope. This chocolate isn't going on a turnaround route to your best friend (who hopes otherwise)!
A parody otome game with five endings and a fair amount of extra content!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROJECT INFO
Hello, all~ Krissy of Silverspork Productions here!
A little background on this game, "せんぱい ~私を見てください~" (lit. "Senpai ~Please Look At Me~").
It was initially tossed together as a project for a Nihongo class project a couple years ago (even we find it hard to believe it's been that long).
Just recently, we picked it up again decided to fix up for others to try out.
Our class and a few alpha-testers gave positive feedback about the game, so we hope you'll all enjoy it as well!

Initially, we were aiming to have it out around november-december last year, but do to some hardware issues, we ended up moving release to a more fitting date!

Some of the scenarios are written to poke fun at a few common otome game details,
though we might have gotten carried away and put more focus on romance than on making it a parody,
but there's enough humor to go around!

LINKS:
Walkthrough
Main Website
SSP on Tumblr
SSP on Facebook

CHARACTERS
ImageImage

SCREENSHOTS
Image Image

DOWNLOAD
(Google Drive Link)
Last edited by silversporksama on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

versect

Re: Senpai, Please Look at me! [GxB] [Otome, Slice-of-Life]

#2 Post by versect »

That was soo cute :D
I loved it but it's too short in my opinion((
It seems kind of unfinished but maybe that was what you were going for?
It was amazing nevertheless

silversporksama
Regular

#3 Post by silversporksama »

versect wrote:That was soo cute :D
I loved it but it's too short in my opinion((
It seems kind of unfinished but maybe that was what you were going for?
It was amazing nevertheless
Glad you liked it, versect! Did you get all of the endings already? ^^
If not, that may be why it feels a bit lacking. Else, I'm not really sure what else to say except that it was planned to be fairly short from the beginning;;;

If it's the art that's giving it that unfinished feel, it's mostly to imitate the rough feel from the first version of the game.
You can find comparisons between the old art and the new art in the gallery when you finish the game 100%~

\( ^o^)/ Anyway, thank you so much for giving our little game a try!~

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#4 Post by MimirollCookie »

I was actually intrigued with the VN's title... :D
Downloading right now....
(After a few minutes..)
So far so good, the GUI is cute, the characters are great, and so is the story!
Actually pretty good! :3

silversporksama
Regular

#5 Post by silversporksama »

I almost forgot to add!! If anybody's having trouble figuring out the point system or how to get endings, do feel free to ask for help! If anything, the way the points affect the endings is a little... odd, to say the least. At least, that's what we assume.

Again, any and all input is loved~ Do tell us what you think of the characters as well! They're our precious children, and we hope they're playing along well with others~

silversporksama
Regular

#6 Post by silversporksama »

MimirollCookie wrote:I was actually intrigued with the VN's title... :D
Downloading right now....
(After a few minutes..)
So far so good, the GUI is cute, the characters are great, and so is the story!
Actually pretty good! :3
Intrigue is good, intrigue is very good :3c
And I'm super thankful to hear this!~ I was actually so worried how things would end up with our first release ever...
Thank you so much for all the kind words, MimirollCookie~

keelan

#7 Post by keelan »

(sorry if this review duplicates; i wrote one out earlier but i don't know if it registered >.<)

Firstly, I want to say that I'm very impressed. So much so, that I made an account just to review it :D

It started off as a normal otome: you got two love interests (the usual bestie and 'cool guy' senpai), you were trying to confess with some Valentine's chocolate, and the endings were cute. Really cute! Super cute! The game was short and sweet and the voice-acting was a nice touch, even though it was just mostly grunts. The ending lines made me swooon. Especially 'Senpai's Good End.' That was a touching ending, imo.

After fiddling around with the choices, I had Endings 1-4 in the bag and I was trying to get the final one. I even had this chart for each playthrough I had, because I seriously couldn't get senpai's best. After 20+ playthroughs, I finally got it! And I was really happy. I would've quit the game after that, but then I thought 'huh, there's a disproportional amount of ways to get James's endings, but it's really hard to get senpai's. That should mean there's a points system somewhere...' So I wondered if you could get senpai's endings through a different route, and I went and played again.

I don't remember the exact order that everything happened in, but
I got the game to crash, the script changed, that repeated a few times, and everything went meta.
My mind was blown. I was certainly not expecting that, and I got waaay more than I asked for.

Which isn't a bad thing! Don't get me wrong! I loved this game. I was incredibly awed and plot whammed with how everything ended up. Amazing.
I seriously thought it was buggy (because, I mean, my game crashed, my load files disappeared, and the script went wack) so I'm glad I finished it and made it all the way to the end 8)
Nicely done!

Other things I want to mention:
+Senpai has good taste in music. The Killers? Spaceman? No wonder the MC likes him :D
+James is a total sweetheart. So is the MC! They're little balls of sunshine that you can't help but love
+The little animation at the dream scene (the snowflake-things) was a pretty addition
+The BGM reminded me of Christmas music. I dunno why. It had a feel-good vibe to it
+The art style is great! It's warm and homey. Just my cup of tea
+GUI is simple but cute. I like the tiny twirling flower at the end of the text! It's a pretty refreshing twist to the Ren'Py engine; I can't say the controls are the same as usual...
+I really adore Valentine's tropes. The story made a perfect way to start my day
+I know I mentioned this before, but the voice-acting was a nice touch
+The 'who's senpai's best friend?' bit. I laughed each time there was a different name, especially when the MC says it's James. Oh boy
+Senpai's naming scene. IIRC, in his...good end(?), he and the MC were talking about names, and when you know the full story, it's bittersweet :(
~~~

-Instead of having a pause during every scene change, maybe you could transition it with a fade instead? I stared at a black screen for a short while before I realized I had to click through to progress it. It's especially jarring during the moments where the MC is 'travelling' around the school
-The music can be a bit repetitive, and at times, it loops oddly (e.g. when the MC wakes up). It's not very noticeable unless you listen to it for a long time, so it's okay

But all in all, this was great! I'm surprised this is actually your first game because the coding flowed nicely for the plotline. And I liked how there were 'two parts' to the story; I thought that was really unique!

Now I'm off to delete my persistent data so I can replay the game from the start :wink:

EDIT:
I JUST GOT THE LAST LAST ENDING AND. I. *sobs*

...What a good game. I haven't seen this much fourth wall breaking in a looong time. That ending was absolutely adorable. Once again, great work! I look forward to any future works~ :D

(*gasps* it also has its own variations! ^w^ be still, my heart)

silversporksama
Regular

#8 Post by silversporksama »

keelan wrote:(sorry if this review duplicates; i wrote one out earlier but i don't know if it registered >.<)

Firstly, I want to say that I'm very impressed. So much so, that I made an account just to review it :D
I don't know where to start except with a really big thank you so much, hearing all this is an absolute honor and makes all the work so worth it! (And admittedly, I was having a pretty crummy day so reading all that filled me with all these emotions from out of nowhere it was so overwhelming! I mean, you made an account just to leave that review and what an impact that review made on me;;;)

I'm also pretty overwhelmed how dedicated you were about playing through the entire thing! (Did you enjoy the extras as well, if I may ask?)
I actually didn't think anyone would reach that point right away and would kind of,,, leave the game to gather dust or something after getting all the endings so I'm absolutely ecstatic you went through the entire thing! Unfortunately(?) there's actually another side to the second half of the story you won't be able to see because you were so kind but hey I do hope someone else manages to find it~
Super glad you enjoyed the game so much~ Now I can say this game's gone as planned since the only notable problems that were left (st least, what you mentioned) seems to be the little issues left behind from the very first version of the game
and also because we managed to fool you? sorry but not sorry! As horrible as it sounds, we're all hoping more unsuspecting folks fall for our trap here...
But like back to the overwhelmed feelings I was pretty much gushing about your review to my co-developer and our head tester all day thank you so much you have given this little spork so much happiness;; (++on a side note I think it would make sense if I mentioned that despite this being our first ever release, I've actually been messing around with renpy since 2008-ish. I've got a few scrapped project threads over here as a testament to my later sins ahaha;;;)

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#9 Post by Rainbow Colors »

I, for one, am guilty of supporting James over Senpai.
(Partly because he came off as a jerk to me in all those playthroughs he didn't come to the rooftop :U)
Though honestly, after playing through the whole thing, he IS a cinnamon roll, at least to me. i swear senpai at first i wasn't deliberately trying to get james D: The points system was a bit frustrating, I began checking every possible choice because I can't get senpai's damn ending.

And quite frankly, if I weren't so fond of spoilers, your expectations of the game collecting dust in the deep recesses of my computer would have become true.

...perhaps the other half you may be talking about would appear if I continued on pursuing James despite the multiple crashes? I'll surely try to check it out sometime I guess - but for now, I must resume my schoolwork >.>

look i just had to finish this D:

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

silversporksama
Regular

#10 Post by silversporksama »

Rainbow Colors wrote:I, for one, am guilty of supporting James over Senpai.
(Partly because he came off as a jerk to me in all those playthroughs he didn't come to the rooftop :U)
Though honestly, after playing through the whole thing, he IS a cinnamon roll, at least to me. i swear senpai at first i wasn't deliberately trying to get james D: The points system was a bit frustrating, I began checking every possible choice because I can't get senpai's damn ending.

And quite frankly, if I weren't so fond of spoilers, your expectations of the game collecting dust in the deep recesses of my computer would have become true.

...perhaps the other half you may be talking about would appear if I continued on pursuing James despite the multiple crashes? I'll surely try to check it out sometime I guess - but for now, I must resume my schoolwork >.>

look i just had to finish this D:
Well, senpai needed to play hard to get somehow. We might have made things a little too hard, though,,, uh sorry,
Attached is an apologetic senpai because his endings are,,,, just,,, so hard to get apparently,,,

I'll get a walkthrough or at least a point explanation up when the weekend rolls in, should further interest in this game happen. All fingers crossed tightly as though I'm weaving some sort of appendage friendship bracelet here.

And there's no need to be guilty. I, too, was on team James like the horrible unsupportive mother I am
Our head tester Jojo used to be all "screw senpai, I want James!" when she first tried out the game.
And how the tables turned after that. She got so angry at me.
I'm glad your curiosity got the better of you, then! *^*
AAaaaand here I am, never ceasing to sound like a horrible example to everyone. I swear I'm much nicer than I am in marked-out spoilers....!

As for the other side of the story, I'm not going to say anything on the matter except that when I showed our beta testers how to access it (take note this was waaay after they saw the same route as keelan) they got mad at me too. They didn't want me to do it. That's it, that's all I'm saying. That and it's a regrettable, irreversible choice. You will hate me.
Good luck with your schoolwork!~I've actually got some late night readings , myself. Yikes.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.49.09 PM.png

silversporksama
Regular

#11 Post by silversporksama »

Ah and right before I log off for the night (morning? whatever) here I'd like to ask you players something super spoileriffic that really gets me curious.
I'm really hoping there are more people trying this out than just the few cool peeps leaving messages I literally have no way of tracking how many people download the game;;
What name did you choose?
And also! Once again gonna say that your insights and opinions on the characters are always lovely to hear!
Actually any feedback is actually nice to hear let's all be good friends here everybody heehoo \0/
You can even be straightforward and tell us if you prefer James or Senpai!!! (we're actually doing a poll)

YzzaPizzaIsCheezy
Regular
Completed: Best Friends
Projects: Sweet and Spices (NaNo'16)
Organization: Pastelle Studios, Classical Projects

#12 Post by YzzaPizzaIsCheezy »

silversporksama wrote:Ah and right before I log off for the night (morning? whatever) here I'd like to ask you players something super spoileriffic that really gets me curious.
I'm really hoping there are more people trying this out than just the few cool peeps leaving messages I literally have no way of tracking how many people download the game;;
What name did you choose?
And also! Once again gonna say that your insights and opinions on the characters are always lovely to hear!
Actually any feedback is actually nice to hear let's all be good friends here everybody heehoo \0/
You can even be straightforward and tell us if you prefer James or Senpai :lol: (we're actually doing a poll)
What name did I choose?- Kouhai- Chan XD

I pick JAMES!!! ('Cause Senpai called me weird!! :cry: )

Anyway i loved the story!

keelan

#13 Post by keelan »

silversporksama wrote:I don't know where to start except with a really big thank you so much, hearing all this is an absolute honor and makes all the work so worth it! (And admittedly, I was having a pretty crummy day so reading all that filled me with all these emotions from out of nowhere it was so overwhelming! I mean, you made an account just to leave that review and what an impact that review made on me;;;)

I'm also pretty overwhelmed how dedicated you were about playing through the entire thing! (Did you enjoy the extras as well, if I may ask?)
No problem~

Yup! The extras were great! I felt like I was playing a 2-in-1 with how much content there was, haha. I liked the bonus Q & A a LOT, which I totally forgot to mention in my last post (oh yes, i definitely ship james x senpai)
Tbh, me reaching that point was totally accidental. On any other occasion, I would've left the game on the shelf after I got all the endings, but I'm a hardcore completionist and I really did want to finish the chart :P

I got curious when you mentioned the second half of the story...and, well, I can see why the beta testers got mad. That was depressing. The worst part is that it's completely irreverisble. You weren't kidding. No amount of deletes can save me from that mess *cries* (i followed james's advice though bc i'm gonna make my friends play it and cry with me)
And I'm still not getting over the fact that this is well-made, even if your programming skills aren't amateur.
It was like coding-inception? Coding within coding (i'm looking at you senpai, james)? Permanent flags or whatnot? Besides, it's the best plot twist I've had in a while, so that gives it a few bonus points.

(psst, i named him yuri-senpai)
Once upon a time, I would've joined the James boat because I'm a huge sucker for MCs ending up with best friends. But senpai gets cuter each time I see him. And I love his voice. And that picture of him blushing is absolutely adorkable. And he needs more love.
(after that last playthrough, i definitely ship the mc with him more; come on, he just wants to be loved ;_;)
He's also got a good personality; he's a nice child despite the flaws. So Senpai it is! :)

KiloTango
Regular
Projects: The Lighthouse (NaNoReNo14)
Organization: Starship ★ Palindrome

#14 Post by KiloTango »

This was great.
I really enjoyed the meta stuff, though now I'm wondering if I really have gotten all the endings. I managed to get the Cake one but I'm curious as to if that's the final final one. I was somehow really bad at this game and if I hadn't known it was going to go somewhere crazy I'd probably have ended up giving up.
Team James over here as well.
ImageImageImage

silversporksama
Regular

#15 Post by silversporksama »

I've got time to reply at a time like this because my first morning class got cancelled yeeeeeee
YzzaPizzaIsCheezy wrote: What name did I choose?- Kouhai- Chan XD

I pick JAMES!!! ('Cause Senpai called me weird!! :cry: )

Anyway i loved the story!
I apologize on behalf of my son for his choice of words. I'm sure he didn't mean it that way D:
Regardless, that's one point in favor of James!
keelan wrote:No problem~

Yup! The extras were great! I felt like I was playing a 2-in-1 with how much content there was, haha. I liked the bonus Q & A a LOT, which I totally forgot to mention in my last post (oh yes, i definitely ship james x senpai)
TSK WE HAVE OUR HEAD TESTER JOJO TO BLAME FOR THAT QUESTION i dont ship in but i gotchu fam i got the good goods here for that team

I'm literally not surprised at all that you found a way to reach it. *proudly wipes away a single tear* Do drop by and tell us how your friends found their valentines themed trip down a road of suffering. Out of curiosity, just how deep into the darkness did you get before you reached James' reset? :3c Anyway I'm so glad you enjoyed(?) the full senpai experience~
I totally feel you for the MC and best friend thing. I've looked through my entire queue and backlog of otome game ideas and plans and there's literally always a best/childhood friend route. Anyway... one point for Senpai!
It's a real damn shame on his end after James' reset though haha even I get feel pain playing through the reset
KiloTango wrote:This was great.
I really enjoyed the meta stuff, though now I'm wondering if I really have gotten all the endings. I managed to get the Cake one but I'm curious as to if that's the final final one. I was somehow really bad at this game and if I hadn't known it was going to go somewhere crazy I'd probably have ended up giving up.

Team James over here as well.
I'm super glad you did! ^^ I'm making it a personal vow to spill as little about the details as possible, but there's a variant of the cake ending after you get it once and a randomized bit of text somewhere there that /may/ be affected by a previous choice (but that's literally just a bit of extended dialogue) in case you're up for digging through a bit more. But overall, I'd say you've petty much got all you can see.
That leaves the score at 1 for Senpai and 2 for James currently! ( ^o^)/