Temperance [NaNoRenO 2016] [drama]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Temperance [NaNoRenO 2016] [drama]

#1 Post by mikey »

A short VN about a parent dealing with a child with temper tantrums, made for NaNoRenO 2016.
Contains strong language.

https://atpprojects.itch.io/temperance

Enjoy!
Attachments
itchio_temperance_1.png
itchio_temperance_2.png

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

Re: Temperance [NaNoRenO 2016] [drama]

#2 Post by MimirollCookie »

It seems like you finished the game early.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by mikey »

MimirollCookie wrote:It seems like you finished the game early.
Yeah, at 6000 words it's not very big so it took me just around 3 days.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#4 Post by MimirollCookie »

mikey wrote:
MimirollCookie wrote:It seems like you finished the game early.
Yeah, at 6000 words it's not very big so it took me just around 3 days.
Congrats anyway. :)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#5 Post by paradigmshifty »

I played this last night. It's one of those games that will stick with me for a while. The writing felt very human and sincere and the use of swearing was fitting - I think I read on twitter that this is your first game to have any swearing in?

(note: you should probably add the strong language warning to the itch.io page as some people discover VNs through itch and never see the LSF thread.)
I found myself wondering about how Casey was getting along at burnout camp (or wherever!) - It's cool that it was never really part of the story, but it seems like an interesting plot hook too!
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by mikey »

Thanks so much for playing, really glad you enjoyed it!
And yes, first time I ever used swearing, and
it was mostly to show the frustration and volatility of feelings in parents in stressful situations
so I'm happy it came across that way.

Updated the itch.io page, thanks!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Goodness! And there I thought you were done making VNs.

Glad I was wrong :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by mikey »

Taleweaver wrote:Goodness! And there I thought you were done making VNs.

Glad I was wrong :)
Well, I really feel like I am done - this is more like either the total freedom of the retiree to do whatever I want to (including VNs if I so please), or it's like when the Undertaker never wrestles throughout the year and then returns only for Wrestlemania. Not decided which one I am :)

But in any case, the "done" definitely means personal VNs. These new ones - Trauma Bridge, Temperance and the upcoming one are more the creative outlets, rather than personal projects. I have spent months and months doing a photography project that has nothing to do with VNs, and I really like that new direction it's pulling me in, but somehow nanoreno inspired me and I just went for it, and I'll stick with it until it fades away I guess :)

But yeah, thanks, it's really a weird feeling to have folders with renpy on my computer again.

Furohoriku

#9 Post by Furohoriku »

I played through this, it's really good!
I really enjoyed how immersive this game is despite having no images of the characters. I like how the text scrolls the way thoughts appear in one's mind. It is a thought provoking experience of how hard raising children can be. Personally, if I ever would've done any of the things Tempe did as a kid, I would've gotten slapped, but that's just my background.

I picked up 3 messages from Temperance:
- How hard it must be for single parents to raise children, and the effects of divorce on family life. (The chaos starts early...)
- How rewarding family life can be in general
- Teens should play this game so they realize there's a time for everything, and starting a family can definitely wait until after highschool.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by mikey »

Thank you for playing!
Furohoriku wrote:Personally, if I ever would've done any of the things Tempe did as a kid, I would've gotten slapped, but that's just my background.
Yeah, this is definitely from a perspective of a parent raising a child without the use of physical punishment.
- How hard it must be for single parents to raise children, and the effects of divorce on family life. (The chaos starts early...)
Single parents are superheroes, I have nothing but respect for them. While divorce wasn't the focus, a parent suddenly raising a child (or even multiple) by themselves is not just a fulltime job, it's a permanent 24 hour shift, every single day, no breathers ever.
- How rewarding family life can be in general
I'm glad it came through, was kind of worried because the focus is the frustrating experiences.
- Teens should play this game so they realize there's a time for everything, and starting a family can definitely wait until after highschool.
The trend where I live is definitely very late twenties to mid thirties.

Again, thank you for playing and I'm really happy you enjoyed it!

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#11 Post by FonaCall »

Hello.

Haha, it has been a while since I decided to play the game to review it, and I must say, I took it rather seriously.

Here is the link to our review:

https://blackearedgames.tumblr.com/post ... temperance
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

FonaCall >> Thank you for that thoughtful review! Regarding your theme discussion, I did actually want to create a couple who do not have / do not choose not to rely on much support. I also agree with your points about the parents being mostly "responsible" for the situation.

Though I will have to say that most parents are indeed aware of the logical conclusions and often their own missteps, too. But often there is no time anymore to change all of the things that should be changed, either because the child grows up and situations change too fast, or it's simply a part of the child's process of growing up and can merely be steered rather than truly influenced (which is exactly what the doctor recommends to them in the case of Tempe's tantrums, to "wait"). This is in this case the cause of many of the frustrations and the need to blame or vent on others - it's not nice and certainly not polite, but this is what Morgan (selfishly) knows helps - to get them through the day and to redirect negative emotions away from Tempe as much as possible, while Tempe works through that phase.

One last thing I'd like to point out is that the protagonists are named Morgan and Casey, and I did not assume their genders giving them neutral names, so it's interesting to see how different people think of who the main character is, and who his/her significant other is. But there is no right or wrong way to interpret that - that's the point. Though interestingly, the visual novel database has Temperance tagged as "female protagonist", which is also only one of the interpretations :)

Thanks again for the wonderful review!
Last edited by mikey on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#13 Post by FonaCall »

mikey wrote:FonaCall >> Thank you for that thoughtful review! Regarding your theme discussion, I did actually want to create a couple who do not have / do not choose not to rely on much support. I also agree with your points about the parents being mostly "responsible" for the situation.

Though I will have to say that most parents are indeed aware of the logical conclusions and often their own missteps, too. But often there is no time anymore to change all of the things that should be changed, either because the child grows up and situations change too fast, or it's simply a part of the child's process of growing up and can merely be steered rather than truly influenced (which is exactly what the doctor recommends to them in the case of Tempe's tantrums, to "wait"). This is in this case the cause of many of the frustrations and the need to blame or vent on others - it's not nice and certainly not polite, but this is what Morgan (selfishly) knows helps - to get her through the day and to redirect negative emotions away from Tempe as much as possible, while Tempe works through that phase.

One last thing I'd like to point out is that the protagonists are named Morgan and Casey, and I did not assume their genders giving them neutral names, so it's interesting to see how different people think of who the main character is, and who his/her significant other is. But there is no right or wrong way to interpret that - that's the point. Though interestingly, the visual novel database has Temperance tagged as "female protagonist", which is also only one of the interpretations :)

Thanks again for the wonderful review!
Ah, I see... Your intentions were definitely realized, then.

Regarding the need to blame, I am actually glad that Morgan actually didn't lash out at anyone or anything and instead kept it to herself/himself, although I think she/he would have to let it out at some point.

It would be fairly weird to say, but I was writing the review out of memory (we actually do not like replaying parts of the game over and over just to review something. The visual novel would lose its charm for us. I should have taken down notes, though...), and for some reason, I forgot the parents' names. Thank you for pointing them out. For us, probably because we're male, Morgan is assumed to be male. Also, I think we came to that assumption because it was Casey who usually took care of Tempe.

Thank you for the wonderful VN.

- Rivaldi
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

FonaCall wrote:It would be fairly weird to say, but I was writing the review out of memory (we actually do not like replaying parts of the game over and over just to review something. The visual novel would lose its charm for us. I should have taken down notes, though...
I actually appreciate this on a certain level, because many reviewers will play a game to death to be able to point out details and / or not be "caught" misremembering - which is fine, because it lets one appreciate something on a detailed level - analyze, if you will.

But there is also something good about simply playing and leaving the "first impression" be the only impression and consider the work in that way, with a focus on "what sticks" in the reviewer's mind - focus more on what those impression leave behind, which is equally valuable to know, for me anyway :)

So yeah, thanks again for taking the time!