One Night Stand [Drama][Mystery][NaNoRenO 2016] - COMPLETE

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ThisIsNoName
Veteran

Re: One Night Stand [Drama][Mystery][NaNoRenO 2016] - COMPLE

#46 Post by ThisIsNoName »

Well, I just got two of the endings
Get kicked out and friendship ending
... and I had to laugh at how accurate the last part of this video is (spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-4IAR_9Yw

foxrunner2099

#47 Post by foxrunner2099 »

Is the third ending even possible at this point? I can't seem to get it just wondering if any one has been able to get it.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#48 Post by YossarianIII »

This is one of the first NaNo titles I downloaded this year since it was released early, and it set a pretty high bar!

I thought the art, the UI, and pretty much everything else about how the game looked was great -- definitely a strong point. But I also liked how the writing
avoided wish fulfillment and let you play as a character who is either kind of callous or well-intentioned but misguided rather than making it seem like the gentleman option was the "true" or only version of the character. I also thought it was interesting that there's a negative outcome of taking a photo, but you're actually kind of rewarded for looking through her wallet -- I like that there were gray areas to your actions and it wasn't a black-and-white morality story.
I also liked the open-ended structure with the objects -- it was a good way to encourage multiple playthroughs.

Two potential bugs:
*When you ask for painkillers, it sounds like Robin brings back coffee and there's a coffee slurping sound?
*Possible continuity error: If you haven't discovered Robin's name by a certain point, she notices, but if you have discovered her name, she doesn't get angry at that point, even though you never use her name. (i.e., she seems to magically know whether or not the MC knows her name before he ever has a chance to say/not say her name. Unless I'm misremembering?)
Also, the one small part that I thought felt out of place was:
if you tell Robin you remember nothing about the night, she gives a detailed explanation. For me, though, the fun was piecing everything together from the objects instead of being told directly. Just a minor point -- it probably stood out to me because the rest of the writing was good at being concise and revealing just enough.
Overall, though, I really liked it! It felt like exactly the right scope for a NaNo project and everything was executed well.

Image Image

foxrunner2099

#49 Post by foxrunner2099 »

Ive noticed on playing through a few times im no longer able to get the dialogue to show after inspection of her items. Im gonna keep trying but the game seems to keep ignoring this.

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#50 Post by shortycake »

Finally finished the game and I really loved it! I got the three endings(?) I got the
photo ending then friendship ending and variation of go home ending.
The writing is great, makes me feel a little cautious to the girl and what really happened last night. I love the animation and the sound timing is great. Overall, I really enjoyed it!

Can't wait for the full version of the game!

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#51 Post by Kinmoku »

YossarianIII wrote:This is one of the first NaNo titles I downloaded this year since it was released early, and it set a pretty high bar!

I thought the art, the UI, and pretty much everything else about how the game looked was great -- definitely a strong point. But I also liked how the writing
avoided wish fulfillment and let you play as a character who is either kind of callous or well-intentioned but misguided rather than making it seem like the gentleman option was the "true" or only version of the character. I also thought it was interesting that there's a negative outcome of taking a photo, but you're actually kind of rewarded for looking through her wallet -- I like that there were gray areas to your actions and it wasn't a black-and-white morality story.
I also liked the open-ended structure with the objects -- it was a good way to encourage multiple playthroughs.

Two potential bugs:
*When you ask for painkillers, it sounds like Robin brings back coffee and there's a coffee slurping sound?
*Possible continuity error: If you haven't discovered Robin's name by a certain point, she notices, but if you have discovered her name, she doesn't get angry at that point, even though you never use her name. (i.e., she seems to magically know whether or not the MC knows her name before he ever has a chance to say/not say her name. Unless I'm misremembering?)
Also, the one small part that I thought felt out of place was:
if you tell Robin you remember nothing about the night, she gives a detailed explanation. For me, though, the fun was piecing everything together from the objects instead of being told directly. Just a minor point -- it probably stood out to me because the rest of the writing was good at being concise and revealing just enough.
Overall, though, I really liked it! It felt like exactly the right scope for a NaNo project and everything was executed well.
Wow, thankyou so much for the detailed feedback! I will check out these bugs when I‘m back off holiday and be making a full, completed version. There was so much we wanted to add but didn‘t get time for... and bug fixing, I had about 1 hour haha!

I`m glad everyone seemed to like the writing and animation :) Apologies for being in the dark and not responding til now! Very limited internet D:

(Edit: Sorry, this is what Japanese keyboards do to me!)

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#52 Post by Kinmoku »

BrightWings wrote:I loved the game! The animation is great (really convincing), the dialogue is organic. Robin is really relatable and feels real. Thank you very much! Great job!

Oh, and if it helps, during one of my runs I somehow caused this:

Full traceback:
File "game/script.rpy", line 2701, in script
if robinis == "weird":
File "D:\Jocuri\Visual novels\One_Night_Stand-1.0-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1648, in execute
if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
File "D:\Jocuri\Visual novels\One_Night_Stand-1.0-all\renpy\python.py", line 1490, in py_eval
return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
File "D:\Jocuri\Visual novels\One_Night_Stand-1.0-all\renpy\python.py", line 1485, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/script.rpy", line 2701, in <module>
if robinis == "weird":
NameError: name 'robinis' is not defined

It appeared several times, but I was able to complete the path by pressing 'Ignore'. I think I somehow caused it during the 'selection' phase, I ended up selecting about 5 ?

Is there a way of knowing what the endings are?
More precisely, is there a way to be more than friends that I am somehow missing?
Hey, sorry for the late reponse! I appreciate you playing the game and giving me feedback :) Can you give me any more details about how you got this bug? How many times had you played it? When did it pop up? I'm trying to recreate it.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Kinmoku »

foxrunner2099 wrote:Ive noticed on playing through a few times im no longer able to get the dialogue to show after inspection of her items. Im gonna keep trying but the game seems to keep ignoring this.
Hey sorry for the late response! Do you have any more info on what you were doing/ inspecting? I can't seem to duplicate the bug. Thanks!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#54 Post by Harliqueen »

This was brilliant! The art and animation was incredible, and I loved the game itself. The awkwardness of some parts was just perfect :D

Gonna try and get the other endings, but just wanted to say how awesome this was!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

BrightWings

#55 Post by BrightWings »

Ok, it's been a while so I don't remember exactly. I had been playing for several rounds, trying to see which are the endings. I think I had chosen "She is weird" in the iteration before the bug happened. I might have done it for the first time? Not sure.

If it helps, I uploaded the save file here: http://www.filedropper.com/1-1-lt1.

Not sure if I saved before or after the bug happened for the first time, but quite soon anyway. You will see that it keeps reoccurring until the end of the game.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Kinmoku »

BrightWings wrote:Ok, it's been a while so I don't remember exactly. I had been playing for several rounds, trying to see which are the endings. I think I had chosen "She is weird" in the iteration before the bug happened. I might have done it for the first time? Not sure.

If it helps, I uploaded the save file here: http://www.filedropper.com/1-1-lt1.

Not sure if I saved before or after the bug happened for the first time, but quite soon anyway. You will see that it keeps reoccurring until the end of the game.
Ah thank you so much for sending this over! I'll check it out and see if anything happens :)

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by philip »

@Kinmoku-

Downloaded this and played through a couple of times . . . it's a very nice story, and the sprites and background art are appealing and very well done. Having said that there was one aspect of the game that was bothersome to me, and that was the constant and shaky movement of the sprites. I guess I am probably the only one to mention it, but I found that it was distracting. Sorry! I really like all the rest of it, and will no doubt revisit the story again.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Kinmoku »

Hey guys,

One Night Stand has now entered Steam Greenlight! This will be for the full/ final version, not the NaNoRenO game jam version that's currently on itch.io https://kinmoku.itch.io/one-night-stand

I hope to get the final version completed in the next few weeks. Please help me get it on Steam by voting on the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =677801558 :D

Thank you for all your support so far!

Kinmoku

Craterman

#59 Post by Craterman »

Kinmoku wrote:
foxrunner2099 wrote:Ive noticed on playing through a few times im no longer able to get the dialogue to show after inspection of her items. Im gonna keep trying but the game seems to keep ignoring this.
Hey sorry for the late response! Do you have any more info on what you were doing/ inspecting? I can't seem to duplicate the bug. Thanks!
Just in case you still need it (because the bug is still there) pick don't take the photo, wake her up, her panties, wine bottle, wallet, investigate, about what i expected, the book, sounds intriguing, then pick whatever else to trigger the dialogue where you will notice it will skip the usual beginning scene to the do you remember what happened scene, if you hit ignore on the error you can continue playing until it gets to the part where you talk about yourself where she gets sick where another error appears which you can click ignore and continue playing edit: bug also can trigger just before the game ends
edit: if you ask about guitar there is a typo where you say "Oh◻Okay" that little square being the problem

btw does anyone know if the scene where you can ask about music, for her to play you something etc. do anything different for you from the usual if you pick the right options?

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#60 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

I've been meaning to check this game out for a long while, finally got around to it.

First of all, the interface and design with the boiling outlines is awesome! Great job with that, and the 'performance' animation is superb, it really keeps you engaged on the story.

I like that you only have so much exploring you can do when she's away before she interrupts you, leaving more for you to discover later. The writing feels genuine overall. Really nicely put together game!
ImageImageImageImage