The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, Horror, KN)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
fizzhog

Re: The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, Horror, KN)

#31 Post by fizzhog »

Hi! I'm new to these forums and new to Visual Novels. I'm interested in exploring Ren'Py as I have an idea for a story-driven game I want to make. So I will I daresay be making a lot of use of these forums at some point.

But I registered now so I can say how much I enjoyed your game. I've played one or two VN's but yours was the first one I've played that really grabbed me. I felt that the art was simple but effective and in being simple didn't overwhelm the story. The sound worked well too in adding tension. Overall it was creepy, original and atmospheric.

Thanks for the game and thanks for showing a VN noob some of the possibilities of the genre and of Ren'Py.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#32 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

fizzhog wrote:Hi! I'm new to these forums and new to Visual Novels. I'm interested in exploring Ren'Py as I have an idea for a story-driven game I want to make. So I will I daresay be making a lot of use of these forums at some point.

But I registered now so I can say how much I enjoyed your game. I've played one or two VN's but yours was the first one I've played that really grabbed me. I felt that the art was simple but effective and in being simple didn't overwhelm the story. The sound worked well too in adding tension. Overall it was creepy, original and atmospheric.

Thanks for the game and thanks for showing a VN noob some of the possibilities of the genre and of Ren'Py.
Welcome to the forums! I hope Ren'Py is perfect for what you have planned. There are tutorials and questions answered everywhere throughout the forum, but still highly recommended you ask in the Renpy section. (And lots of searching, since there's a chance someone else possibly already asked the same question.)

First time I've ever heard someone joined because of me. :o Really glad that you enjoyed it so much to this extent! (I wonder how many times I've used the word "glad" now, but it's the truth. :D )

With all this positive feedback, I can safely say that my simple KN, is a personal success. Perhaps in the future, I'll consider working on another kn/vn that is NOT made in only a month. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#33 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hello, sunlit-dreamer!

Just wanted to let you know that I finally found the time to download your game, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. You were right - Herc was a gentle spider and I adored him. Both he and Bernie were truly likeable characters in an interesting world. You captured the chilling atmosphere beautifully, and I'm curious to know what you would make with more time on your hands.

Now, I only have one question:
when you wrote the story, did you have a name in mind for the boy? The ending is perfect as it is, but I'll be honest, I'm really curious to know what it was.
On a side note, that song in the credits totally brought back memories of my first VN, where I must have heard it a million times trying to match it to the scene and whatnot. But other than that, it's a lovely piece and fits the tone of the story.

Excellent job, and congratulations again for finishing in time for NaNoRenO, sunlit-dreamer!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#34 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Dreamgazer wrote:Hello, sunlit-dreamer!

Just wanted to let you know that I finally found the time to download your game, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. You were right - Herc was a gentle spider and I adored him. Both he and Bernie were truly likeable characters in an interesting world. You captured the chilling atmosphere beautifully, and I'm curious to know what you would make with more time on your hands.

Now, I only have one question:
when you wrote the story, did you have a name in mind for the boy? The ending is perfect as it is, but I'll be honest, I'm really curious to know what it was.
On a side note, that song in the credits totally brought back memories of my first VN, where I must have heard it a million times trying to match it to the scene and whatnot. But other than that, it's a lovely piece and fits the tone of the story.

Excellent job, and congratulations again for finishing in time for NaNoRenO, sunlit-dreamer!
Hey Dreamgazer! Long time no talk! (Since I didn't want to spam your inbox hahaha.)

Good to know I didn't disappoint you! And yes, Herc is an adorable little goober, as much as he loves to strut about acting all tough. As much as I fear spiders, I know how gentle the big guys can actually be as long as you know how to handle them just right. For example, do NOT pick them up and lift them into the air with your bare hands. It'll startle them, which will startle you, and make them fall to their death with a big splat.

And regarding another project, I just might have one in the works. However, I'm unsure if I want to make it as a regular novel, KN, or VN. I've already started writing it of course, my mind and hands demanded it. I'll probably show the first scene/chapter to a couple of my friends to see their thoughts. But even IF it doesn't become a kn/vn, I do plan on making one as soon as my family moves.

That's the magic of using CC assets, you never where you'll run into them again, and remember where else you've heard them before. :D

And since it's been over a month, I'll be kind enough to reveal Carolyn's brother's name.
I did originally plan on having it end with the family waking up with the brother wondering where Herc is, where you'd hear Carolyn say his name, Terrance. Along with him saying Herc's full name, Hercules. But in my head, it didn't feel right, and it felt better to stick strictly to Bernie and Herc.
ImageImageImageImage

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#35 Post by Dreamgazer »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:And regarding another project, I just might have one in the works. However, I'm unsure if I want to make it as a regular novel, KN, or VN. I've already started writing it of course, my mind and hands demanded it. I'll probably show the first scene/chapter to a couple of my friends to see their thoughts. But even IF it doesn't become a kn/vn, I do plan on making one as soon as my family moves.

That's the magic of using CC assets, you never where you'll run into them again, and remember where else you've heard them before. :D

And since it's been over a month, I'll be kind enough to reveal Carolyn's brother's name.
I did originally plan on having it end with the family waking up with the brother wondering where Herc is, where you'd hear Carolyn say his name, Terrance. Along with him saying Herc's full name, Hercules. But in my head, it didn't feel right, and it felt better to stick strictly to Bernie and Herc.
Ooh, thank you for satisfying my curiosity!
And I do love the Greek mythology reference.
I'm looking forward to your next project. Good luck with moving, by the way! And don't be afraid to spam my inbox. Life likes to keep me busy, but I will definitely get to it! Plus, it's always nice to have a break from whatever project happens to have my attention at the moment.
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#36 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Ooh, thank you for satisfying my curiosity!
And I do love the Greek mythology reference.
I'm looking forward to your next project. Good luck with moving, by the way! And don't be afraid to spam my inbox. Life likes to keep me busy, but I will definitely get to it! Plus, it's always nice to have a break from whatever project happens to have my attention at the moment.
Wow took me forever to reply in my own thread. (But that's real life, and I'm back from the dead.)

Sorry for going all ghosty on you. And don't worry, I plan to read your nano from last year this time around. (And this year's if you do participate this year.)
And since unrelated putting it in spoiler. Saw Markiplier play your vn way back, awesome work on it! (Suicide is just...very heartbreaking...) Knew it was yours the moment I saw the sprite. =P
ImageImageImageImage