The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, Horror, KN)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, Horror, KN)

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Download for Windows, Mac, and Linux

Warning! I suggest putting your volume low!

Update! New Build Available! At the suggestion of my friend Maelstrom-Fenrir, I've added more to the ending. I have now achieved the "Maria has Pleased Mama Rosa Achievement". To go with the new writing, I've made one more (super quick) cg as well. Plus...since the gallery refused to unlock the Credits cg, I just gave it its own screen. So no more worries about that.

Enjoy!
PS: Builds 2.1 and 2.2 are just minor spelling fixes, that's all. So no need to redownload AGAIN if you already have build 2. This should hopefully be the very last updated build.
Summary: Carolyn has forgotten her doll outside in the backyard and is now deep asleep. With the upcoming witch's hour, her doll worries that she might not be able to find a way to return inside the house to protect Carolyn. To her luck, the brother's pet tarantula appears after a hunt. With some persuasion, the tarantula reluctantly agrees to carry her back to Carolyn, hopefully before it is the witch's hour.
Characters

Doll

Carolyn's precious doll, passed down from her mother, who received it from her grandmother. Just like she has done for those two, she protects Carolyn every single night from deadly creatures when the witch's hour approaches. Is her only toy, so she's the only line of defense.

Spider

The brother's pet tarantula. Enjoys escaping his tank from time to time whenever the boy forgets to fully close the top. Has a habit of hunting for frogs and mice. Doesn't believe in monsters, ghosts, and so on. Used to talking toys though, but not moving ones. Biggest fear is scorpions.
Note1: I have removed Auto Toggle from the Quick Menu, and I won't be adding it back in.

Note2: If there are any errors, please let me know as soon as possible and I'll attempt to fix them. (Although I'm pretty sure I got everything running smoothly.)

Note3: My friend just told me when he downloaded my nano it was "flagged" as a virus. It's obviously a false, but yeah, giving a heads up about that.
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

YzzaPizzaIsCheezy
Regular
Completed: Best Friends
Projects: Sweet and Spices (NaNo'16)
Organization: Pastelle Studios, Classical Projects

Re: The Doll and the Spider (NaNoRenO 2016, Horror, KN)

#2 Post by YzzaPizzaIsCheezy »

Congrats on finishing NaNo! :)

valoodx
Deviantart: valoodx

#3 Post by valoodx »

wow loved the story, and also
(Spoiler)
I felt bad for Herc the spider...
even if i do suffer from arachophobia...
i hoped Herc could had a happy ending.
Last edited by valoodx on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#4 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

D8 Valoo! The spoiler isn't in the spoiler box! Quick, edit and hide it! (And glad you love the story! I MIGHT be adding more onto it and possibly add another cg, but it will still pretty much stay the same)

And thank you Pizza.

I've spotted a couple errors, so will be uploading a new build either today or tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Update: After fixing a tiny amount of errors and making a few changes, I have now uploaded a new (better) build! I apologize to those who have already downloaded the first one. I'm sorry, I sorta rewrote the ending. (Thank Maelstrom-Fenrir, because of him, I MADE IT BETTAH.)

Anyway...Valoo you still need to hide spoiler! D8
ImageImageImageImage

valoodx

#6 Post by valoodx »

sorry for that ...

valoodx

#7 Post by valoodx »

but seariously that was the best visual novel story i ever had read

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#8 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Thanks for editing it! (And it's all right, you did try to put it in spoiler box earlier after all)

I can only wonder right now if those who had downloaded the first build, saw my post about the new build having a rewritten ending (It still ends the same way though, just added more...."substance"). Oh well, I won't force people to redownload again. (Since dropbox can take quite a while) And it IS a kn, not a vn.

Either way, I hope that both versions are enjoyed.
ImageImageImageImage

Kayber

#9 Post by Kayber »

Great little story you had here! I enjoyed it. Nice job on this :) The head thing made me jump, hah.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#10 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Yes, Jump Achievement attained! Glad you liked it! (Now if only I could stop finding out that I have missing words here and there, blargh.)
ImageImageImageImage

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#11 Post by Amiralo »

best visual novel i have read this year. everything from the plot to the characterization was PERFECT. Expect fanart soon =v=
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#12 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Amiralo wrote:best visual novel i have read this year. everything from the plot to the characterization was PERFECT. Expect fanart soon =v=
You Amiralo have just attained the "Make Someone Do the Squee Face In Real Life".

I am so happeh right now I am not even kidding have all my internet cookies TAKE THEM DANG IT!

*looking forward to that fanart* Nyaaaaaa~ *has never gotten fanart before, thus the squee face*
ImageImageImageImage

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#13 Post by ebi-hime »

Herc the spider was particularly cute... His sprite is really adorable, haha XD; And I liked the sprite of Bernie on his back, too - and the fact
Bernie got a new sprite after her spider legs power up.
I think my favourite thing about this VN was the music. It set the tone really nicely, and lent itself well to the creepy atmosphere you were trying to establish. Also, the thing with the monster faces and the sound effects managed to make me jump, so that was done well XD
Oh, I liked the yes/no menu a lot as well. Putting the yes/no buttons in place of Bernie's eyes was a really nice idea. I didn't expect it, so it surprised me, haha XD
And the fact the buttons go red when you hover over them... Maybe linked the rather gruesome ending?
I liked the buttons that were used as sliders in the preferences menu, too. It was a good idea!

This was a nicely put together VN, and it was pretty atmospheric. Good job! n_n;
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#14 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

ebi-hime wrote:Herc the spider was particularly cute... His sprite is really adorable, haha XD; And I liked the sprite of Bernie on his back, too - and the fact
Bernie got a new sprite after her spider legs power up.
I think my favourite thing about this VN was the music. It set the tone really nicely, and lent itself well to the creepy atmosphere you were trying to establish. Also, the thing with the monster faces and the sound effects managed to make me jump, so that was done well XD
Oh, I liked the yes/no menu a lot as well. Putting the yes/no buttons in place of Bernie's eyes was a really nice idea. I didn't expect it, so it surprised me, haha XD
And the fact the buttons go red when you hover over them... Maybe linked the rather gruesome ending?
I liked the buttons that were used as sliders in the preferences menu, too. It was a good idea!

This was a nicely put together VN, and it was pretty atmospheric. Good job! n_n;
*hears I made an adorable spider sprite, looks at said sprite, then at real tarantulas*...Yeah definitely easier on the eyes for people afraid of spiders such myself! (But not to the point of arachnophobia haha) It took me a while to figure out how to place her, I didn't want to make her too small, but not too big either. Poor Herc. XF
Hahaha, pretty much why I couldn't really post anymore of their sprites in my wip thread since it would spoil her power up via "Mario" style. Or should I say Popeye style?
Phew, was worried that the music wouldn't fit. It took me FOREVER to find some of them. And perfect. :twisted:
I wanted to keep the creep factor up as much as possible in all my menus, so why not provide some type of hint to the ending? *insert evil laughter please* :twisted:
*makes it rain buttons* Just like in that movie Coraline-wait it didn't rain buttons in there at all.

Thank you for reading it!
ImageImageImageImage

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#15 Post by Amiralo »

the promised fanart. Hopefully it shows up. I drew bernie and herc as humans. Bernie would be childlike and proper, while herc would be an imtougherthanyoubutnotreally punk.

if it doesn't, you can view it here.

http://amiralo.deviantart.com/art/Fanar ... 1459377408

Hope you like it! and thank you for such an awesome visual novel!
Attachments
20160330_181303.jpg
Last edited by Amiralo on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150