Love and Romance - A Study of Intimacy[NaNo2016][NSFW&Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular
Completed: Check Signature!
Projects: Check Signature!
Organization: Seraphim Entertainment
Tumblr: thebunnyofevil

Love and Romance - A Study of Intimacy[NaNo2016][NSFW&Free]

#1 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

Love and Romance - A Study of Intimacy

https://vamichaelalaws.itch.io/love-and ... f-intimacy

Amelia Waters is a brilliant 26-year-old romance writer who, after years of hard dedication and work, became the top romance novelist of the millennium. However, she has always felt that something was wrong with her writing and, after reading her books again, she finally found out what it was: the sex scenes were garbage. In need to fix this issue, Amelia talks to her manager and agent, Lee Yoon Ho, and asks for help. He manages to grab keys to a cabin, isolated from society, and takes her there for a week to help her get her head in the game and and for her to practice writing about sex.

When she hits a brick wall, Lee offers to help her again... with his body.

-----

CHARACTERS:

Amelia Waters (CV: YOU)
A successful 26-year-old writer who lives in a shabby apartment with her cat. While in front of her laptop, she paints beautiful pictures of love and romance of all spectrums. What halts her from being the absolute best are her sex scenes, which are robotic and redundant. With a sense of determination and a 4-year-old dry spell, she is determined to make her sex scenes better somehow!

Lee Yoon Ho (CV: David O'Byron)
Amelia's manager and agent. Formerly a model, he left the business to help others become successful. When he found Amelia, he took her under his wing and became the gateway to her success. Hard-working and open, he helps Amelia in every way to guide her to complete success because he believes she deserves it. What he didn't expect was to fall in love...

MINOR CHARACTERS:

Sir Gerald (CV: Michael Potok)
A side character from Amelia's best novel, Knights of the Heavenly Blade. Deeply in love with his princess, Jasmina, he becomes one of Amelia's guinea pigs for her sex writing practice.

Princess Jasmina (CV: Michaela Laws)
A side character from Amelia's best novel, Knights of the Heavenly Blade. Innocent, pure, and in deep love with her knight, Gerald, she becomes Gerald's partner in Amelia's sex writing practice.

-----

FEATURES:
-FREE TO PLAY
-1 Romance Option
-1 Romance End, and 1 Non-Romance End
-Original Art and GUI
-2 Intimate Scenes, 2 Sex Scenes, all four COMPLETELY OPTIONAL
-A literal study on intimacy and practice of sex writing.
-Emphasis on Consent

-----

CREATIVE TEAM:
Writer/GUI Designer/Programmer - Michaela Laws
Sprite/CG Artist - WaffleMeido
BG Arist - GlassHeart
Music by Kevin MacLeod

------

A Note From The Director:

Hi! Michaela here. It's been a long time coming but I finally mustered the courage to step into the NSFW world and create an otome with full on sex scenes. However, the point of the VN is not about having sex; it's about teaching and describing positive and consensual sex. As I touched on the idea in Seduce Me, I wanted to build a story around the idea that you can be in love with someone and not have to engage in sex to be happy. At the same time, I want the idea of sex in stories with romance to be as loving as it can be. Too many stories revolve around coerced or non-consensual sex that the idea of sex has now become about the pleasure and carnal feelings of it when sex is and can be the binding of two bodies in an intimate dance of passion, love, and fondness.

This VN will be NSFW because of the 2 explicit sex scenes, but it will be free to download and play because of the message I want to portray. During the mentioned sex scenes and the 1 intimate scene before them, however, the player will have the option to stop the scenes at any time, as part of my emphasis on consent. While the scenes themselves are positive and meant to be engaging and beautiful, the power is within the player's hand to continue depending on their comfort. There is no punishment for not engaging or stopping action in these scenes and I want to make that clear that it is okay to do the same in reality.

We hope that the final product will be to everyone's liking and we are honored to be part of this game jam =)

~Michaela
Voice Actress | Singer | Writer | Producer | Director
http://www.michaelaamandalaws.com/
--------
Completed Projects: My Teacher (NaNoReno2013), Pizz'Amore, My Lady, Our School Love (Otome Audio CD), Our Honeymoon (Otome Audio CD), Seduce Me, Maid With Perfection (NaNoReno2015), Blind Love (ILUjam 2015), Love And Romance: A Study Of Intimacy, Seduce Me 2: The Demon War, Remember, Remember
Projects Still In Production: All For You

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

Re: Love and Romance - A Study of Intimacy[NaNo2016][NSFW&Fr

#2 Post by MimirollCookie »

The game is not found! X(
Congrats btw
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular

#3 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

MimirollCookie wrote:The game is not found! X(
(If it magically vanishes, go to the lib folder, then to your OS, then double-click the game file there~!) That should work (hopefully...)
--------
Completed Projects: My Teacher (NaNoReno2013), Pizz'Amore, My Lady, Our School Love (Otome Audio CD), Our Honeymoon (Otome Audio CD), Seduce Me, Maid With Perfection (NaNoReno2015), Blind Love (ILUjam 2015), Love And Romance: A Study Of Intimacy, Seduce Me 2: The Demon War, Remember, Remember

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by MimirollCookie »

No, i mean the website. it's not found. ~
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular

#5 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

MimirollCookie wrote:No, i mean the website. it's not found. ~
I am dumb. It is 2AM.

CHECK NOW PLEASE <3
--------

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by MimirollCookie »

:> Works. :>

sangoandmiroku799

#7 Post by sangoandmiroku799 »

Very, very excited for this!!
I was a big fan of Seduce Me (I still have it on my computer which is saying a lot for me), and I really appreciated the message of consent. It's something that unfortunately not enough people truly understand.

[EDIT] I'm back! I enjoyed Love and Romance as much as I expected, which is to say a lot!! For a NaNo game, it's extremely well put together and polished. The art is superb, the story is great... I loved everything about it! As a fiction writer myself, I could relate to her struggles.
I really enjoyed Lee's character, and found myself fangirling over him quite a bit. It was actually quite painful to explore the friendship ending, haha.
His reaction to "And then they fucked. The end." made me laugh more than I should...
The CGs were very adorable and I was happy to have the gallery~
Really, I have nothing but compliments for you! Great job and I look forward to future VNs from you <3
Last edited by sangoandmiroku799 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahnos
Regular

#8 Post by Rahnos »

So I saw this on the Nano thread and knew immediately that I wanted to play it (even moreso after reading the description, actually) - I'm a big fan of your games, Michaela!

Just finished playing this! I really, really loved all of it. ^_^ Got the romance end (of course I did, I'm a stickler for fluffy and happy) and I enjoyed it a lot! I'm very glad that there were options to stop things if I wanted to. Basically, we need more awesome games like this.

The writing was pretty good - I only saw one your instead of you're about halfway through the game. The two main characters were great (I love sweet characters!) and I basically just got absorbed into the game for the entirety of its duration. Which was just about the right length. It wouldn't have fit well if it was longer.

I liked the references to Seduce Me and My Lady at the end, that was pretty funny. Being able to choose what Amelia would write was also pretty amusing.

I loved Lee's voice actor, he did such a great job!
And the art was pretty darn good too. <3

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#9 Post by ebi-hime »

Aaah, the art was really cute - and I really liked the CGs. They're all so soft and pretty, esp the ones in the bath. The blushy expressions are also super adorable. I'm impressed WaffleMeido was able to draw so many high quality CGs (and the sprites - with open mouth animations!) in only a month o:
I also liked how there were so many different options you could choose - especially when Amelia was writing her story. It was a nice touch; since she's the 1st person MC and you're acting as her, you should get some freedom to decide how she wants to write her story - even if some of the choices are just jokes.

The 'stop' thing in the sex scenes was a nice touch, too - creates a feeling of safety, which adds to the fluffy romance you were going for? Though, in the last sex scene, in the bath, the 'stop' gets stuck on the screen, so it was still there after the scene had ended - and clicking on it looped me back to the bath sex scene again, after it had finished.

The voice acting was also a really nice touch, Lee's VA is so kyuuut XD;

As for the writing, I think some of it was a little too... 'flowery' for my tastes, or a bit too loaded down with similes and imagery, but that's probably personal taste.

Oh, and another side note - putting Lee's sprite against the car interior BG was pretty strange, since it made Lee look really really small. A tiny pixie man XD; To counter this, maybe you use the car BG, and then have Lee's sprite against a white bg or something and use it as a cut-in? Like Princess Evangile does. Something like this. I don't know if it's the most elegant solution, but it should look less strange.

Anyway, congratulations for the release, you did a really good job! u///u
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular

#10 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

ebi-hime wrote: The 'stop' thing in the sex scenes was a nice touch, too - creates a feeling of safety, which adds to the fluffy romance you were going for? Though, in the last sex scene, in the bath, the 'stop' gets stuck on the screen, so it was still there after the scene had ended - and clicking on it looped me back to the bath sex scene again, after it had finished.
Oh crap! Thanks for telling me that! I just fixed that and uploaded a new set of builds with it not being stuck anymore @_@ SORRY!!

------

Thanks everyone for the compliments and comments so far! <3 I'm really glad people like it =3
--------

RoyalVillain

#11 Post by RoyalVillain »

Hi there Michaela! Having soon became a fan of your work after playing Seduce Me, as soon as I saw the announcement for this game and read the description, I was already greatly looking forward to its release. What intrigued me most was the idea of promoting consent and that the player can take comfort in the fact that opting to skip the sex scenes wouldn't impact the story's progression negatively (an element that I really liked about Seduce Me and first came across when playing Cute Demon Crashers).

I found the artwork very appealing, in particularly the CG's and backgrounds, and I'm impressed that all of it was done to such good quality in the space of a month. Animating the sprites' mouths and making them blink was also a great touch and I thought that the blush was really cute! The voice acting, particularly by Lee's VA, was also lovely and I wasn't at all disappointed by it.

As for the writing, it was nicely done and was sweet, like the two main characters. I only came across one or two spelling/grammatical errors overall. Another little thing I enjoyed was that, upon choosing to pursue the romantic route, Amelia would at one point start referring to Lee by his first name and that'd change on his dialogue box too; it was a nice way to signify that the relationship between the two of them had gotten more intimate and personal.

Overall, wonderful job on the release - I look forward to playing more of your work soon (especially Seduce Me 2)!

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#12 Post by Amy_oai »

Very cute and fluffy despite it being a NSFW game.
The animation with the mouth on the sprite during dialogue was a really nice touch and not something I'd expected for a NaNo game, but yeah! Awesome!
The art was amazing <3
The voice acting was good as well and I think the emotions were captured perfectly to what you wanted to show.
The writing was good too, even though it all was a little too 'cute' for my style.
I also liked the way you nodded towards your other works, it was fun. Also love how K is always in there in some way (when will we get to really know her though? ~Its a mystery~)
Thanks for the great game and good luck with Seduce Me 2 and other projects~! <3
Image Image Image Image

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

#13 Post by Ryuushiro »

ebi-hime wrote:Aaah, the art was really cute - and I really liked the CGs. They're all so soft and pretty, esp the ones in the bath. The blushy expressions are also super adorable. I'm impressed WaffleMeido was able to draw so many high quality CGs (and the sprites - with open mouth animations!) in only a month o:
Aww, I'm so glad you liked it! ;u; Thank you for the compliments!
Though I must say, as for the sprites animations the credit goes to Michaela, I just drew all the mouth/eyes/eyebrows variations! She did the magic <3

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

startwhenready

#14 Post by startwhenready »

We really loved playing the game, and thoroughly enjoyed the emphasis of consent throughout plotline, especially that you could back out if you weren't into the scene. We've been fans since Seduce Me and are publishing an ongoing review/playthrough on our YouTube channel by making use of the censor/skip options.
We definitely didn't hate the writing in the game, and appreciated that it stood out enough for us to make opinions on the characters!

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular

#15 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

startwhenready wrote:We really loved playing the game, and thoroughly enjoyed the emphasis of consent throughout plotline, especially that you could back out if you weren't into the scene. We've been fans since Seduce Me and are publishing an ongoing review/playthrough on our YouTube channel by making use of the censor/skip options.
We definitely didn't hate the writing in the game, and appreciated that it stood out enough for us to make opinions on the characters!
I'm definitely not watching it right now I don't know what you are talking about =w= <3

Glad you liked it!
--------