Banality Man [VN][Comedy][Cartoon][Pop Culture][NaNo16]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Banality Man [VN][Comedy][Cartoon][Pop Culture][NaNo16]

#16 Post by YossarianIII »

ALCOR_etc wrote:Hello! I just wanted to say that two friends and I played a few endings of this together (by screensharing). We thought everything was HILARIOUS and we LOOOOVED it.
Thanks, ALCOR_etc!

One of the most helpful writing things I ever did was watching Let's Plays of previous VNs I did. I used to write them as solitary reading experiences, but for Banality Man, I tried to pay more attention to how the experience would change for people who see it through streaming, screensharing, and stuff like that. Glad to hear it works in that format!

I'm working on future releases, and will probably put up a new WIP thread in the nearish future.

MimirollCookie wrote:I played it. Man, this is a heck of a game! I had fun playin' it!
Got all the 11 endings.

Thanks MimirollCookie! BTW, I saw your Banality Man drawing in the fan art thread, and it's great!

Yes, the plot is a little silly, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it!

As for spoilers...
let's just say that the Superbuzz Figmuff scene was meant to be kind of a parody of the after-credits scene in Iron Man. So I may or may not be trying to set up a universe for future games...

Image Image

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#17 Post by MimirollCookie »

YossarianIII wrote:
MimirollCookie wrote:I played it. Man, this is a heck of a game! I had fun playin' it!
Got all the 11 endings.

Thanks MimirollCookie! BTW, I saw your Banality Man drawing in the fan art thread, and it's great!

Yes, the plot is a little silly, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it!

As for spoilers...
let's just say that the Superbuzz Figmuff scene was meant to be kind of a parody of the after-credits scene in Iron Man. So I may or may not be trying to set up a universe for future games...
Ah, I see. BTW, I'm glad you liked the fanart.
I liked the ending when Banality Man fell from the building singing Tra-la-la-la-la-la-la! It was hilarious!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta

#18 Post by YossarianIII »

@mimirollcookie: It may or may not have taken me over half an hour to find the perfect "SWOOSH!" sound for the end of that tra-la-la part. :) Looking online for sound effects is always one of my favorite parts of a game.

Image Image

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#19 Post by MimirollCookie »

YossarianIII wrote:@mimirollcookie: It may or may not have taken me over half an hour to find the perfect "SWOOSH!" sound for the end of that tra-la-la part. :) Looking online for sound effects is always one of my favorite parts of a game.
I see. :D I think you had fun making this. ^_^ It's really really fun. :)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#20 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hello, YossarianIII!

First of all, the Beastie Boys are awesome. In general, your choice of music and sound effects were excellent, and throughout the game, I never had any idea what to expect. Great job, and congratulations again for finishing in time for NaNoRenO!

As for which ending I reached first...this should tell you everything. :) (I hope you don't mind how rude a certain someone is!)

YossarianIII
Veteran

#21 Post by YossarianIII »

Thanks, Dreamgazer!

Yeah, I was so happy (and surprised!) to see that the Beastie Boys had a song in Creative Commons. Although I guess it makes sense given how much they liked sampling other people's music...

I liked the Let's Play at that link! Especially the part where they argue about bureaucracy at the end, and the earlier part where they try to avoid a choice by bringing up the tactical retreat menu. :)

Image Image

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#22 Post by Sayumi101 »

Ah, I just played this game. So far I got 7/11 endings. Will definitely play for the rest but thought I'd leave you a line before I head off to bed.

I really liked the little animation sequences and all the different poses. And that title song. Oh god, the title song. It would be a lie if I said I didn't attempt to sing along with the 'Papapapa paapaa' bit from about the third time I reached the title screen. ._. It's real catchy.

The first ending I got was simple coz I just kept punching the pharmacist counter guy like there was no tomorrow.
My favourite ending was definitely the 'Psychedelic Vertigo Freakout' I may have read a few of those sentences twice.... Like 'Wouldn't the ground be higher than the trees if you were on the sun and not on the earth'. and the accompanying red and white swirl animation. How do you even come up with it.

Second is the whole zombie bit. I dunno why I giggle a little every time the zombie's BLURT sound effect comes into effect. And how Breda actually took care of the zombie was all badass.

Not gonna lie, I kept expecting for something to go wrong in the happy mother-daughter ending, like 'I just KNOW a plot twist is coming...I know it... I know it,' only to be taken by storm that nothing went wrong XD The biggest plottwist THERE was there NOT being a plottwist.
So anyways, thanks for this effort. This was an awesome game and I hope to see more from you!! ^O^)/

Edit: Just thought I should say, clicking your 'Beretta Mondatta' banner redirects to the 'Banality Man' page... No >.> I wasn't trying to stalk your other games, lololol. *awkward laughter fades*
ImageImageImage

YossarianIII
Veteran

#23 Post by YossarianIII »

Thanks, Sayumi101! :)

I had a problem with my signature earlier, and I thought I fixed it... but it looks like I accidentally turned it into a different problem. :? But it should be fixed now!

That red swirl image you mention from the one ending is actually a parody of something from the movie Vertigo, so I can't take full credit for inventing it:
The psychedelic sentences were all mine, though, and there are actually several more that didn't make the cut. (I just checked, and I accidentally left them in the game's script as comments.)

Fun fact about the zombie: While his dialogue is "BLURT!", the sound effect is actually a synthesizer saying "ZEBRA!" (It was a preset sound on a software synthesizer that I modified a little bit.)

I'm working on a script for a new game and hope to start a new thread in the WIP forum soon!

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#24 Post by Zelan »

i
wh
i can't
what
what did i just play

'twas byootiful. thank you.

YossarianIII
Veteran

#25 Post by YossarianIII »

Zelan wrote:i
wh
i can't
what
what did i just play

Thanks, Zelan!

Your comment looks kind of like a free verse poem to me, haha.

Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#26 Post by Zelan »

YossarianIII wrote:
Zelan wrote:i
wh
i can't
what
what did i just play

Thanks, Zelan!

Your comment looks kind of like a free verse poem to me, haha.
Oh, it kinda does! cx Maybe I can turn it in next school year for extra credit.

Do you happen to know how I could reset the ending counter? I'd like to show the game to some other people from the beginning.

YossarianIII
Veteran

#27 Post by YossarianIII »

Zelan wrote: Do you happen to know how I could reset the ending counter? I'd like to show the game to some other people from the beginning.
Hmm... good question.

I think what you have to do is find the folder where your computer stores the saves and delete the "persistent" data. I think by default on Windows computers it's stored under C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Banality Man.

You could also try just deleting the game and reinstalling it, but I think your computer will still remember persistent data unless you find that folder I mentioned earlier and deleting the file called "persistent."

Hope that helps!

Image Image

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#28 Post by qirien »

Hee hee, you've done it again. :-) Short, funny, and possibly the punching-est game I've ever played (right up there with Punch Quest).

I, too, got the time-travelling ending first... I guess we're all a bit wary of over-punching the same person. :-D
Finished games:

YossarianIII
Veteran

#29 Post by YossarianIII »

Thanks, qirien! Yes, it really seems like people want to spread the punches around. I can't compete with Punch Quest in quantity of punches, so I tried to make up for it in quality!

Image Image