Ready, Set, Parody! [A Crazy, Sexy Comedy][NaNo2016]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Ready, Set, Parody! [A Crazy, Sexy Comedy][NaNo2016]

#1 Post by Dreamgazer »

Get the party started here.
If you're having trouble downloading it, get it here.
Length: ~1 hour
Rating: 13+ for suggestive content and...suggestive content. Yep, that's it. Thanks a lot, Night.

The only rule of comedy is that there are no rules.

The game of Ready, Set, Parody! has all the things you could do on a Saturday night and then some. There are game shows, Mad Libs, singing and, of course, cosplay. (But if you're looking for a date, I suggest you look here.) Hosted by the cast of X Playing Pieces, you'll probably think they're quite mad after this, but at the very least, you won't know what to expect!

HIGHLIGHTS:
♢ Snarkiness
♢ Flirting fun
♢ Blinking sprites and a few voices
♢ 2 short stories with insane plot twists
♢ References to popular series, ranging from Umineko: When They Cry to Frozen

This was released for NaNoRenO just in the nick of time - about 10-20 minutes before the deadline. If you run into any bugs, please let me know! While super hectic, making this game was a lot of fun for me, and I hope you enjoy it, too.

If you have the time, let me know what you think! I'm curious to know what you thought of your hosts and their shenanigans. Did you have a good time? What was your favorite part? Tell me here or on tumblr.
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Ready, Set, Parody! [A Crazy, Sexy Comedy][NaNo2016]

#2 Post by Katta »

Congratulations on the release! It's a pity I'm not very well-versed in anime (and had to google Christian Grey), so I missed all the references. Maybe I should have taken some cough medicine? :wink: Ambrosia and Arsenik look very beautiful - they definitely are your favourite) Chase was almost the only one I guessed and the role surely fits him:lol:

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#3 Post by Dreamgazer »

Katta wrote:Congratulations on the release! It's a pity I'm not very well-versed in anime (and had to google Christian Grey), so I missed all the references. Maybe I should have taken some cough medicine? :wink: Ambrosia and Arsenik look very beautiful - they definitely are your favourite) Chase was almost the only one I guessed and the role surely fits him:lol:
Thanks, Katta! Ooh, I do hope you manged to enjoy it despite not knowing all the references. And while I love all my characters, you've certainly hit the nail on the head - Ambrosia is indeed one of my favorites, but out of the boys...well, I just might have a new favorite in War. ;)

Out of curiosity, what did you name your...medicine? :) And which costume was your favorite?
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#4 Post by MimirollCookie »

Oooh... I'll play it! Maybe giving thoughts later!!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#5 Post by Dreamgazer »

MimirollCookie wrote:Oooh... I'll play it! Maybe giving thoughts later!!
Please do! I'd love to hear what you think.

Also, I updated it recently to fix a few bugs that ThePirate and my friend caught. (Thanks again!) This is what's been fixed:
- The Roger Rabbit bug
- The Floating Eyes bug
- The wrong months mentioned behind the scenes
- Other minor things

If anyone else has found someone wrong, please do let me know! I'll fix it ASAP. Hope everyone's having a good time. ♥

JBY

#6 Post by JBY »

Congratulations on the release! It was overall a good experience running through the game you've made :wink:
May I know what is the last song that was "sung" by Arsenik during the bonus scene? Thank you :D

Bianchii
Regular

#7 Post by Bianchii »

Ahhh!!! I'm gonna play it now!!!! fjhdklsfjs so excited! Congratulations on the release!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#8 Post by Dreamgazer »

JBY wrote:Congratulations on the release! It was overall a good experience running through the game you've made :wink:
May I know what is the last song that was "sung" by Arsenik during the bonus scene? Thank you :D
Hi, JBY! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. That last one was actually an original song created by Arsenik's voice actor, Rob Grace. So, it's not something you can get on any album. ;)
Bianchii wrote:Ahhh!!! I'm gonna play it now!!!! fjhdklsfjs so excited! Congratulations on the release!
Thanks, Bianchii! And it's good to see you again. Ironically, I updated it like...ten minutes after you posted (to fix minor things and whatnot). If it's still in the process of downloading, I would strongly suggest canceling it and going for the updated version. :D Unless it's too late?

By the way, what do you all think of the voice snatches? This is my first time including them, so I'm curious to know what you make of them.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#9 Post by MimirollCookie »

I played it. I kept laughing and laughing until my sides hurt!
(I love all the characters!)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Bianchii
Regular

#10 Post by Bianchii »

OK SPOILERS
Omg xDDD Wind as dark link roleplaying as link is the best thing ever HYAA HAAA gfjldkgj (Wind is SO HANDSOME HERE LIKE WTFFF (i have a thing for elf ears don't judge me))

OMG THE SNOOP PART AGH I WAS CRACKING JFDSKL
And the part about Wind being tsundere or not xDDDD it fit perfectly into the host club theme like!!! omg!! fjkdsl xDD

Omg the american drama with Wildfire and Chase getting it onnn gfjkdsgj ahh my OTP, and oh god the k drama is on point, even up to the second lead haha

Aww I really wanted to fix something up between my sister and Arsenik, she loves gorgeous blondes xDDD

aand #teamwind foreva xD omg a psychotic break xD I can't even xDDDD and omg game of thrones

I'M SO DONE XDD I loved it! I absolutely love your sense of humor and it's so refreshing to see these characters do practically everything, from let's plays to cosplay to appearing on several games out of character xD I love all of your characters and their personalities so much!
And omg I think I FINALLY figured out who Chase is after all of the sketches xD he's that guy from South park who always dies right? Kenny was his name?
Ohhh I'm gonna download it again then, see what you fixed, no prob~ I'll probably post again then ahhaha!!

And I think the voice stuff was really nice! Have you planned on fully voicing your games?

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#11 Post by Dreamgazer »

MimirollCookie wrote:I played it. I kept laughing and laughing until my sides hurt!
(I love all the characters!)
Thanks, MimirollCookie! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself.
Bianchii wrote:
And omg I think I FINALLY figured out who Chase is after all of the sketches xD he's that guy from South park who always dies right? Kenny was his name?
That's the one. ;)
Chase is cosplaying Kenny in all of them except for in the Villains' Anonymous segment. In that one, you could say he's pretending to be Kenny, but he's really Popo the Ice Climber from...the Ice Climber. And the Super Smash Bros. series. I'm happy to know you were able to recognize him!
Bianchii wrote:Ohhh I'm gonna download it again then, see what you fixed, no prob~ I'll probably post again then ahhaha!!

And I think the voice stuff was really nice! Have you planned on fully voicing your games?
I mostly fixed the introduction and the sound effects (Ambrosia's chuckles were really much too low - might still be!). All the same, you're definitely welcome to let me know what you think of the changes. :)

As for fully voicing my games, I'm considering it. I know it can be a little difficult to nail - not to mention, the cost. However, it's definitely something I have in mind! In the meantime, it's good to know these voice bits aren't annoying anyone. If you don't mind me asking, what was your favorite part of the game?

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#12 Post by Heiden »

Very sweet and hilarious!

I loved seeing the characters we've come to know in new and strange new circumstances, haha. The US vs Korean soap opera skit was hilarious (I loved Wildfire's lines in this one), though I think my favorite was the Villains Anonymous scene. Especially the back and forth between Queen Elsa/Ambrosia, Christian Grey/Night, and Gakupo/Arsenik.

After I finished playing it I felt like I had watched a really good episode of SNL.
Great job on the release and I can't wait to see what's in store next for Ambrosia and co.! :D
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Bianchii
Regular

#13 Post by Bianchii »

Dreamgazer wrote:As for fully voicing my games, I'm considering it. I know it can be a little difficult to nail - not to mention, the cost. However, it's definitely something I have in mind! In the meantime, it's good to know these voice bits aren't annoying anyone. If you don't mind me asking, what was your favorite part of the game?
Ohh, are voice actors on the forums that expensive? I wasn't aware D: I'd like to try voice acting too, since I have a microphone haha, if you plan on voicing your games I'd love to help for free :P Favorite part................. it's hard, all of the ones I listed on my post above are pure gold, but if I had to pick one.....Snoop takes the 1st place hahah omg I really didn't expect that, that's what made it funnier, the randomness of it. Then again, as I said, having characters I know from other games act OOC-ish is super nice, it doesn't limit them, it's like CLAMP works where they take their characters as actors and put them into different works, it's something that doesn't get done often enough~

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#14 Post by Dreamgazer »

Heiden wrote:After I finished playing it I felt like I had watched a really good episode of SNL.
Great job on the release and I can't wait to see what's in store next for Ambrosia and co.! :D
SNL vibes were exactly what I was aiming for. ;) Thanks, Heiden! And I can't wait to show you what I have planned. Look forward to it!
Bianchii wrote:Ohh, are voice actors on the forums that expensive? I wasn't aware D: I'd like to try voice acting too, since I have a microphone haha, if you plan on voicing your games I'd love to help for free :P Favorite part................. it's hard, all of the ones I listed on my post above are pure gold, but if I had to pick one.....Snoop takes the 1st place hahah omg I really didn't expect that, that's what made it funnier, the randomness of it. Then again, as I said, having characters I know from other games act OOC-ish is super nice, it doesn't limit them, it's like CLAMP works where they take their characters as actors and put them into different works, it's something that doesn't get done often enough~
Oh, well, it's more like I've been making these games pay-what-you-want, so while I'm sure there are some very nice voice actors on the forums, I would feel bad about imposing on a stranger without giving them something in return. Aww, but it's really nice of you to offer that! If voice acting's something you think would be fun, I can definitely keep you in mind. Though, my friends will probably get first dibs, on account of being supportive of me and all. (You could say they're my consultant team. :)) I'm actually more interested in finding someone who wouldn't mind translating my script into Spanish or Chinese or some other language.

Ooh, I'm glad you're enjoying that part then! Thanks for answering.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#15 Post by YossarianIII »

I liked the bit about hats in the Behind the Scenes.

I think my favorite hat was Chase's parka. It's not a hat in the strictest definition of the word, but it offered an impressive amount of head coverage, as well as the sense of flair that a properly chosen hat can provide. A stylish yet practical choice.

Runner up, also from behind the scenes, was Night's Tuxedo Mask hat. Tuxedo hats on their own are a solid addition, but as part of an ensemble, it really brought the whole Tuxedo Mask costume together.

Glad to see there was a Jeopardy! parody! (I got an error message after choosing the Roger Rabbit answer, but based on the previous posts, it sounds like this was fixed in future updates.)

Congrats!

Image Image