Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Message
Author
try10
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 7:47 am
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#46 Post by try10 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:34 am

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
I had really high expectations when I played this game and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Maybe because I felt that the story was rushed and I couldn't see the romance develop properly and there were plot holes. I'm gonna blame this on the time since everybody was trying to meet the deadline :) . There were a few scenes that were very unrealistic
especially on Zel's route... staying in a tower with a guy for a couple of months without the barest necessities is ... I mean you made everything sound so happy go lucky and easy... making food appear out of thin air with magic. I understand that it's a fairytale and I really like fantasy as long as everything had a detailed explanation that makes sense
I loved the art! As I said before the backgrounds were stunning and the sprites gorgeous. The music was perfect for the fairytale atmosphere you wanted to create.
2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
Hmm... I don't think I have a favourite one. There wasn't enough time for me to grow to like someone the best since everything was too fast. Mer was a tiny bit better... One thumbs up for his second ending. :lol: I kind of imagined
Yuno Gasai when I saw Charming's attitude change like that. He had it coming :lol: Mer's route can have so many twisted endings :twisted: Oh, my imagination is going wild just thinking about it! :oops:
That was my favourite part of the game.
3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
Mer caught my attention from the beginning, so I went for him at first. Too bad that there wasn't enough time...to know him more
his crazy face was EPIC!!! I would have been scared if I was Charming. I mean that sweet guy becoming like this :shock:
If you have time, please vote here for your favorite prince!
http://strawpoll.me/7292053
4. What ending did you get first?
I got Mer's first ending. It was kind of tricky to get the second one, but I've managed in the end.
5. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the expansion?
Please redo these routes. There were so many things you could have explored and done. I would recommend launching a kickstarter campaign and making the future game commercial if you need the funds. You guys came up with the gender bend idea for fairytale princes and this is unique and very appreciated by lots of people. I'm sure the kickstarter campaign would be a successful one. More CG's, please during the important scenes such as when they meet, dance, kiss, something significant happens...
You could also explore more into the antagonists past and give them a meaningful part to play the stepmother, fairy etc. More sprites, please. :D
6. Other questions or points of critique?
I said most of them above :oops:
Sorry for being so honest. I appreciate all the hard work you guys did to finish this project on time, but you wanted some questions answered, so I did, :( honestly. I hope nobody feels hurt by what I said. I don't want to sound ungrateful and evil cause this is a free game and everyone was trying their best to finish it as soon as possible If you launch a kickstarter I would definitely support you and if the expansion/remake is going to be commercial I would buy it! :D
Good luck with everything you plan on doing and thank you again for your hard work! :)

User avatar
keelan
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:26 am
Location: The True North™
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#47 Post by keelan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:29 am

Windchimes wrote:(snip)
Aah, no problem! I really liked the game, so whipping up a review wasn't a hassle~

And I forgot to mention this last time, but the text variation when you try getting each of Snow's endings and choose the 'kiss me' option was nice ^_^
Elze wrote:(snip)
Hello to you too! :D I'm fine with the art style inconsistencies (i only pointed it out because i was curious), so I really don't mind the whole art team thing. In fact, if a bigger team helps lessen the workload, I'm all up for it!

I was talking about how the tips of Charming's hair are blue in some of the CGs (Mer #1, both of Zel's). Unless it's a 1.0 issue that got fixed in 1.1, I'm pretty sure her sprite has all pink hair (or very, very faint blue). Hence, an 'inconsistency.'

(or was that some artistic shadow colouring? i'm not sure :/ it just caught my attention because i wasn't aware she had part-blue hair until i saw the endings.)

wijnen
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:27 pm
Github: wijnen
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#48 Post by wijnen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:28 pm

I just finished this game the first time, and since you asked for feedback, I'm writing here.

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
Yes! I particularly liked the gender reversal; in the modern world we have technology so muscle power really doesn't make that much difference and there's no reason only men can be heroes. In this universe, magic has the same effect.

I encountered quite a few mistakes in the text, which are unfortunate; they get in the way of immersion for me. I made a list of things I found. It's at the end of this post.

I like the music a lot. I do have a minor point that may be improved about its use though: when I played Katawa Shoujo, the music was instrumental in evoking emotional responses. For example, when a door was slammed open, not only did the screen shake, but the music also suddenly changed to something fast, which fit with the increased heart rate that the reader is expected to get from the event. It didn't feel like music was used in that way in this game, and that would have made it better, I think. But don't get me wrong: the music was very good, and it made playing the game very enjoyable.

The images were also very nice, both the backgrounds and the characters. The only downside there is the extra things in the portraits, like the drops of water. They felt a bit strange to me, it wasn't always clear what they were expressing. A more expressive face would probably have been better.

2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
I've only played Zel's storyline so far, so I can't say much about Mer or Snow. I'm not sure who my favorite is; I like everyone. But if I have to pick one, I think it's the dragon. Because it is so different from what I expected of it. And it's cute. I like cute animals.

3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
I pursued Zel first, because I gave my word to Nicholl that I wouldn't choose Mer, and to my parents that I wouldn't choose Snow. I suppose I'll have to break my word to see the other storylines. :)

4. What ending did you get first?
Me, Zel and the dragon going on an adventure.

5. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the expansion?
Theme music for semi-regular characters, in particular the parents, Nicholl and the dragon. Main characters shouldn't have it, because that would mean hearing the same theme all the time. But for example to have one theme whenever the dragon is around would be nice, I think. Possibly with some variations (for example, it can be more scary during the battle and more calm when the dragon pleads). When receiving Nicholl's message, his theme could be part of the music, but only lightly, because he's far away.

6. Other questions or points of critique?
It seemed like most questions didn't have much effect on the events (other than the immediate following one or two sentences). I completely understand why; it would take much more effort to fill many story branches. But a little more would be nicer. No big deal, though; I certainly enjoyed the game. And don't misunderstand: I'm not asking for entire new branches; just that those one or two sentences are expanded to a scene. It's perfectly fine if the branches then merge again. For example, the question about going to the lake could trigger a different scene when not trying to convince him. Another picnic near the tower, for example.

Also, when I arrive at the tower it is clear that there is some evil witch who still visits Zel at times. I was expecting to see something happen to her. Wouldn't she come after Zel? Would she punish the dragon for letting him escape (in the scenario where the dragon doesn't come with them)?

Finally, here's the list of textual errors in Zel's branch. The format is s/wrong/right/.

s/the way he made us felt/the way he made us feel/
s/Father take my mother's hand/Father takes my mother's hand/
s/to say in the least/to say the least/
s/You are too old to be to keep being/You are to old to keep being/
s/I stride across the room and lies down/I stride across the room and lie down/
s/I sit in the chair beside him and picks up/I sit in the chair beside him and pick up/
s/my my best friend/my best friend/
s/Your compliments about your cooking/Your compliments about my cooking/
s/chefs at your beck/chefs at your back/
s/it could be so fun/it could be so much fun/
s/these knowledge/this knowledge/
s/slip my head into Zel's/slip my hand into Zel's/
s/don't even know of Zel/don't even know if Zel/
s/is through is stomach/is through his stomach/

Nelair
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#49 Post by Nelair » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:52 pm

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
Yeah I sure did.
If playing Zel's route was like having cinnamon rolls and picnics, if Snow's route was like standing in the rain without an umbrella, only to see rainbows emerging on the sky after the rain, Mer's route would be like a stormy sea, was what I thought. But the sweetness in Snow's route and Zel's route caught me off guard when reading Mer's route. It was kinda like a ghost ship in the midst of stormy sea, depends on your actions and luck, you can either escape safely or meet your end.
Even so, sometimes the relationship feels a bit rushed, but meh. The routes are gonna be longer in the expansion so it would probably be better after this. Also it kind of feels lacking that Nicholl didn't appear much in Snow's and Zel's route but I guess Mer's route made it better. He was such a precious friend, I'm looking forward to his route.
The art is also nice, I love Charming's design.

2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
It's hard to say.
Zel is adorable like an innocent child, I've liked Snow ever since he was White, and the way Mer was written was nice. I like Nicholl's sarcasm and the cute dragon too.
If I absolutely have to choose, I guess I'll go with Nicholl.

3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
I pursued Snow because of his flirtatiousness, I just love his interaction with Charming. That scene in the forest was nice and cute. Kinda hard to choose a favorite since I love Mer's route and Snow's character.

4. What ending did you get first?
Snow ending 2, Love Match.

5. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the expansion?
The appearance of the witch in Zel's route, maybe. Or the Prince (something), if it's not too much to ask.

6. Other questions or points of critique?
I wonder about the other 3 routes. Other than that, nothing much.

User avatar
Kirlett
Regular
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:57 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#50 Post by Kirlett » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Okay, I gave up and played the game before the expansion. :lol:
Zel was my first choice and he was soooooooo adorable! But
I felt like the second ending made the MC seem selfish. She didn't care for her kingdom, and it was kind of weird because she was supposed to feel like the heroine who saves the day. Even so, it was the most romantic ending for their story. The Ending 1 was good because she stayed true to her character, but I felt a little bad for Zel because, as he said, he didn't really want to rule a kingdom. But he's happy with his wife so :3
Mer will be the next. I didn't really like Snow, at least at the ball... "Did it hurt?" ... REALLY :roll: But it's personal, heh, I usually don't like flirty/womanizer types.

Good game! Loved the music and THE DRAGON. SO CUTE, aww.

wijnen
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:27 pm
Github: wijnen
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#51 Post by wijnen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Just finished Snow's story. Very nice as well. I don't have much to add to my previous post, just a few more corrections.

Prince Snow seems to be positioned incorrectly when he enters the screen again after Charming has been talking to his father, I'm not sure if that is intentional, but it looks like the sprite is cut off at the bottom, where normally the bottom of the screen would be.

Other than that, some textual corrections again. During the "bad" ending, Charming and Snow are still referred to as "Prince(ss)" when they talk, while they address each other as King and Queen.

The rest:
s/to say in the least/to say the least/
s/month of courting period as according to/month of courting according to/
s/disconfirm/deny/
s/leaving you abandoning you/abandoning you/
s/to accomplish when I require/to accomplish what I require/
s/this kind of festivals/this kind of festival/
s/in chess/at chess/
s/Prince Charming/Princess Charming/
s/I would I would/I would/
s/bright his bright his/bright his/
s/instead of growing economically with/as opposed to the growing economies of/
s/coronationa/coronation/

User avatar
Kumiho
Regular
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:37 pm
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day
Location: Westeros
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#52 Post by Kumiho » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments! <3 And special thanks to everyone who has notified us about plot holes & typos/mistakes! :) Please take into account that quite a few "plot holes" were intentional and will be addressed in the expansion. We'll fix the errors in one of the later updates, and we'll take the suggestions into account when writing the expansion. ♥♥ Sorry we never caught the mistakes pre-release! ;( We'll proofread more thoroughly for the expansion 8')
try10 wrote:.
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear you didn't like LiD. Yeah, NaNo was extremely busy for everyone, and both Windchimes and I were trying to juggle midterms & extracurriculars & writing simultaneously x'D As for me, I failed all my tests RIP Honestly, we were initially only aiming for 50k LOL so even 75k was quite a stretch for us. We'll have eight months (which includes summer break!) to write for the expansion, so hopefully the LiD expansion will be a massive improvement on all fronts. 8') And ooh! If you missed the relevant posts, Windchimes and I decided quite a few weeks ago to scrap most of the NaNo writing, so you won't need to worry about that x'D Because of the limited word count and time, we failed to include nearly as much content as we wanted to. This also accounts for how rushed everything felt, particularly Mer's route (which was a trainwreck of infodump after infodump after infodump, honestly, with random romance squeezed between them to keep the route feel otome-esque).

Yay, thanks so much for, um, not hating Mer! 8') I'm really, really, really glad you liked the second ending. I'm really impressed you managed to get it without using a walkthrough! :) It's posed quite a challenge for a lot of people, haha. Perhaps I should have made the choices more obvious. Yep! The sprite's expressions just helped so much with setting the mood for the scenes, and I'm endlessly grateful to the ridiculously pro Elz for all her help & magic. As for your point regarding magic, we'll definitely try to elaborate a little more in the expansion ;)

Yep, there will be several more sprites in the expansion, including some for the parents! As for CGs, we're shooting for around 5 CGs/scene, although we really don't want to overload our artists since they're all helping us (and doing such an amazing job, too) for free. ;; And umm, the team will discuss making a kickstarter, but I don't think it's likely. x') Also, LiD will always be a free game, although I'm really, really flattered that you think we could commercialize it if we so chose. Seriously, thanks so much again for your comment ♥♥♥♥ We really, really appreciate the time you took to help critique and improve the VN! 8'D
keelan wrote:
Regarding Charming's sprite, the base of her hair actually is pale cyan! Sorry, I think I placed the sprites too low in-game for you to see! D: Also, the cyan definitely starts higher up in the CGs than in the sprite. For the expansion, we'll make consistency in character design a priority! 8') Thanks so much for your support and suggestions! ♥♥♥♥
wijnen wrote:
Hello! Thanks so much for your comments! :) Regarding your comment on our mistakes, sorry about that, and thanks so much for finding them for us! We'll fix those for our next update, and we'll definitely proofread more thoroughly for the expansion. And yes! The expansion will definitely have a lot more branching and a lot more content in general. <3 We'll have 25k more words / route to work with, after all! What else would we do with them? ;) As for the witch... well, I love hate to spoil things, but I will tell you to look forward to the expansion! I hope you haven't been dissuaded from playing the expansion by how rushed everything was!

Regarding your comment on our BGMs, thankfully most, if not all, our BGMs will probably be redone by our composer <3 to match the theme. And omg yes! Theme songs sound like a great idea! 8') We'll no longer need to to scramble together stock BGMs the day before release! We're really, really honored that you're comparing our game to Katawa Shoujo! I do think it's slightly unfair to juxtapose Lads in Distress (NaNo) with Katawa Shoujo, though. ;) LiD was created from scratch in a month; Katawa Shoujo was created in... four years? Katawa Shoujo also had a much larger team. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) ;) Seriously, we're honored to even be compared to the likes of KS, though! So thanks! ♥♥♥♥

Also, yep! We'll fix Snow's sprite's position glitch ASAP!
Nelair wrote:
Oh gosh, I'm super happy to hear you liked Lid! 8'D And yep, sorry it was so rushed! Q_Q 25k ended up being nowhere near enough to execute everything half as well as we wanted to. I'm especially happy to hear that you enjoyed Mer's route, since I was afraid it would be too controversial, what with the second ending. x'D I really like your descriptions for the routes, by the way. They put a smile on my face, and they're super accurate, too! 8'D ♥♥♥♥ As for the other routes, you'll just have to wait and see! ;)
Kirlett wrote:
YEEEESSSS, ELZ DID AMAZING WITH THE DRAGON SPRITE OMG ♥♥♥♥ I mean, all her sprites were phenomenal, but her dragon sprite was especially amazing @u@ Thanks so much for your support! And haha, thanks for your crit! We'll definitely try our best to make the second ending less rushed, less selfish, and a lot more believable. :) And yup! For the first ending, by spending time with Charming, hopefully Zel slowly matures to his position as well ;) Thanks again!

wijnen
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:27 pm
Github: wijnen
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#53 Post by wijnen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Sorry we never caught the mistakes pre-release! ;( We'll proofread more thoroughly for the expansion 8')
No problem. I'm also happy to help with that, if you want.
As for the witch... well, I love hate to spoil things, but I will tell you to look forward to the expansion! I hope you haven't been dissuaded from playing the expansion by how rushed everything was!
I just started Mer's route, and I do have that feeling a bit with it. But for Zel and Snow, it doesn't feel rushed at all. There are some things that would be nice to have been included, and the time constraint is a logical explanation, but if you said you didn't want those in, it would also have been reasonable. So no, I'm definitely not dissuaded from playing the expansion. :)
We're really, really honored that you're comparing our game to Katawa Shoujo! I do think it's slightly unfair to juxtapose Lads in Distress (NaNo) with Katawa Shoujo, though. ;) LiD was created from scratch in a month; Katawa Shoujo was created in... four years? Katawa Shoujo also had a much larger team. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) ;) Seriously, we're honored to even be compared to the likes of KS, though! So thanks!
Don't get too excited, I said they did this better. :P But don't get me wrong: I'm not blaming LiD for being lower quality than KS (in fact, I think KS is the best VN I've ever played; anyone doing a better job would be impressive even without any limitations). I was just using it as an example for how this could be improved. It'd be unreasonable to expect as high quality from a NaNo game. I am very impressed that LiD was made in only one month; I would not expect this quality from a NaNo game either. So I'm not saying it's as good as KS (only Prince Snow would say that :P), but I certainly am praising it. :D

User avatar
Virelai
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#54 Post by Virelai » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:54 pm

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I can tell first hand that (even though you aren't supposed to 'judge a book by its cover') it'll be a great novel. The artwork is gorgeous, and honestly, your description of this novel is so well laid-out (and cute!) that I had to download it.

I'm lowkey fangirling so hard because I'm really really excited to play this and there's still three minutes left on my download so off I go!!
Follow me on Instagram!
@dearlychristine

ish_o7
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 am
Tumblr: melodramaticmelonmilkshake
Skype: naomi_o7
Soundcloud: ish-sarmiento
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#55 Post by ish_o7 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Okay, I am going to play this game today. I feel really good about this, judging by how beautifully the artwork was done. I'll answer your questions as soon as I finish one playthrough. Thank you for making this game. Congratulations!
:D :D :D

User avatar
Windchimes
Veteran
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:02 am
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS
Projects: Lads in Distress (Expansion), Reanimation Scheme
Organization: Wind Chimes Games
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#56 Post by Windchimes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm

@wijnen:
Thank you for playing all three routes, and we're glad to hear you would still be interested in playing the expansion. And thank you so much for your praise :"D We will take your suggestions into consideration when working on the expansion.
Once again, thanks for playing and for taking the time to comment <3

@Virelai:
Haha thank you so much for your comment <3 I hope the game didn't disappoint! Feel free to let us know any feedback/comments after you're done playing :D Hope you're enjoying the game!

@ish_o7:
:D Thank you for giving our game a try! Hope you're enjoying it <3 We look forward to hearing feedback from you!



Just a quick note:
v1.2 of the game is up on itch.io. It should fix more bugs and typos, but most importantly there's some amendment to a few scenes. Nothing major, but if anyone's interested, feel free to check it out.
Thank you everyone <3
Image Image

wijnen
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:27 pm
Github: wijnen
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#57 Post by wijnen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:46 am

I just finished Mer, so now I can say which prince is my favorite. It's a choice between Zel and Snow; they're both cute. Snow is overdoing his flattery though, so I think I'll go with Zel. And if the question would be which branch I prefer, I definitely go with Zel. Because that dragon is the greatest. :D

I have some comments about Mer's route. I didn't keep track of the typos, but I don't think there were so many anyway. One thing I noticed was that like in Snow's route, they are still speaking as Prince(ss) after their coronation.
The first time I did the branch, Charming told Mer that the fairies wouldn't just leave, but because of an earlier choice, she had not given the warning that they would, so that made no sense.
After reading that there was a second ending for Mer, I tried to find it and that took some effort. But I got it.
And that was not what I expected! Charming was not at all the character I got to know. But it made sense, because in that storyline, I made all the choices so that she was that character. So that was an interesting surprise. I prefer the cuter storylines, but I liked the surprise. :)

User avatar
january
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:53 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#58 Post by january » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:31 am

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
I enjoyed it! It got maybe a bit too slice-of-lifey for me at times, but then again, I'm also not a huge otome person and therefore probably not quite the target audience--I couldn't resist this one with its art and fairy tale nature, though. Still, I don't regret the time I put into playing this!

2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
Mer! I suspected as much from the beginning and while I predicted most of the twists in his route, he remained my favourite.

3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
I pursued Zel first, and as noted above, Mer was my favourite love interest. I saved him for last, and I'm glad I did... I think. Holy shit, Ending #2. Ending on that note, I now feel the need to play something (else) cute and fluffy to offset it. (... In a morbid sort of way, it may be one of my favourite endings, even if making the necessary choices to get it pained me since I always feel so bad about being mean in games. :c)

However, my honest favourite ending is probably Snow's Ending #1, because
I'm a sucker for friendships and so having a platonic ending was a pleasant surprise.
4. What ending did you get first?
Zel's Ending #2. I couldn't bring myself to be strict with him (although I do prefer his other ending, as Ending #2 did come across as a little too irresponsible for me).

5. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the expansion?
I think most of my thoughts have already been voiced!

6. Other questions or points of critique?
Again, I think pretty much everything I could think of--the rushed pace, lack of info on certain characters, etc.--has already been said. Though one other issue I did have was that the text was a bit hard to read due to not having enough contrast against the dialogue box, and so it took me about a route or so to get used to it. Might just be me, though!

Congrats on (and thank you for) making the game! (Also, agreeing that the dragon's sprite was gorgeous, ugh. I had to pause for a moment to admire it.)

User avatar
clearlybeloved
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:50 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#59 Post by clearlybeloved » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:23 am

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
Yes I loved the game. <3
The role reversal was a breath of fresh air.

In regards to Mer's route...
As soon as Mer revealed he was carrying a dagger, I got a little overly excited that it seemed to be going down the path of the original Little Mermaid story instead of the more commonly known Disney version of it. So the plot twist was lost on me, but I still enjoyed the darkness of it all.

2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
Princess Charming

3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
I went Snow > Mer > Zel and Snow ended up being my favorite of the 3 lads.
However Mer's was my favorite route to play, despite him not being my favorite love interest.

4. What ending did you get first?
Snow's 2nd Ending

5. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the expansion?

Well I was going to say a Nicholl route and more dragon, but that's already been addressed.

6. Other questions or points of critique?
Nothing I can think of that hasn't already been said by someone else.

User avatar
Lucid
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNoRenO '16]DL

#60 Post by Lucid » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:23 am

1. Did you enjoy the game? Any thoughts/comments?
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The reversed gender roles were great, the premise is interesting, and the story as a whole was a joy to read.

2. Who is your favorite character after playing the game?
Princess Charming. The protagonists in most of the otome games that I played were dull and dumb, so it was so refreshing to play as a capable and charming heroine. I loved how different facets of her personality are fleshed out in each of the paths. Her design is adorable, too.

3. Who did you pursue first, and who is your favorite love interest?
Prince Zel was the route I played first, because he interested me the least. I wanted to save the most intriguing paths for last lol. In the end, my judgement was correct. His story was the least engaging in my opinion.
Having the entire story take place solely in the tower made it seem shorter, and not as much happens plot-wise on his route compared to Mer's and Snow's. During his route, I was wondering why the witch kidnapped and kept him alive for so long in the first place. Did he have something that she wanted? Did she want to throw his nation into disarray? I was disappointed when I finished both of this routes and never met the witch or found out her reasons for locking him up. I also wish the dragon played a more significant role. It kinda felt like the dragon was added as an afterthought to tie the story to the original fairy tale more, since we didn't see it much in the middle of the story. I really liked the dragon's personality when it's first introduced, and it was funny in Zel's 2nd ending, so it's a shame that we don't get to see more of it.
I did like his character design the most out of all of the Princes though.

My favorite love interest is Snow, because I liked the way he and Charming interacted the most.
I usually don't like the flirtatious characters in VNs because they're generally annoying and creepy, but I didn't get that vibe from Snow at all. He stayed in line and never made Charming feel grossed out with his flirting. I like how considerate he is to Charming and his ex-lovers, and it was nice seeing the flirtatious character being a genuinely decent human being. The banter between Charming and Snow was fun to read, and I'm so glad he turned out to be such a goodhearted and respectable person in both of his endings. I'm happy that you guys included a well-written platonic ending in addition to the romantic one. In my opinion, Snow's personality fits Charming's the best out of all the suitors ^o^
I really, really liked Mer's route though.
He isn't favorite love interest because I think Snow and Charming are better suited for each other, but his story was the most exciting lol. I was suspicious of him the entire time, but when he shows Charming his dagger during the beach scene, I thought back to the original non-Disneyfied fairy tale and my suspicions grew. I expected the attempted murder the night of their honeymoon, but trying to figure out the details of his motive and backstory before the big reveal was fun. And then when it was revealed, I was not disappointed in the gruesome truth! I'm surprised that it was so hard for other people to get his second ending, since all you had to do was pick the more brutal choices lol. I wanted to save the romantic end for last, so I got his prisoner ending first. I played through all of Zel's and Snow's endings before starting either of Mer's paths, and the endings for those princes were happy and cute. Needless to say, I WAS NOT expecting such a DARK ending for Mer after seeing all of those fluffy conclusions, and it was great!! Mer's and Charming's creepy sprites did wonders for setting the tone in this part of the game. Mer's expressions were especially creepy and wonderful. I saw Mer in a whole new light during my romantic end playthrough, and I just couldn't picture them having such a happy married life after seeing Charming's depravity in ending 2 lol. I can't ship them, but man, the plot in Mer's route is great.
4. What ending did you get first?
Zel's ending 2.
I can't imagine Charming ditching her duties as princess though, so I prefer his other ending.
5. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the expansion?
Something I'd really like to see in the expansion are more CGs. I totally get that this game was made in a month, so a having small number of CGs is perfectly understandable for this release. Other than that, just the plot-related things I mentioned in the first part of my answer to #3.

Unrelated, but I was super impress to see that this game has a word count of over 75k. That's huge for a nanoreno game, so seriously, kudos to you guys!

6. Other questions or points of critique?
I don't really have any more critiques right now, so I'll just put whatever here.
The GUI is adorable.
I recognized one of the songs used (the one that plays when you tell your parents who you're going to woo) from Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea. It's called "Waltz of Destiny" in that game. I like that song, so I was happy to hear it lol. Has anyone on the development team played Wadanohara before? Just curious.
I'm looking forward to playing Nicholl's route when the expansion is released. I had a great time playing this game, and I hope everything goes well during the development of the addition content!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users