Diamond Rose [Kinetic][RPG][Fantasy][NaNoRenO2016]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Diamond Rose [Kinetic][RPG][Fantasy][NaNoRenO2016]

#16 Post by Zelan »

Sounds exciting! :D Side quests are always fun.

I must say I'm not a huge fan of the item limit, but that's because I'm a wimp. cx I seem to be convinced that it's perfectly normal for characters to be able to carry around 99 of everything at all times.

Definitely looking forward to the thread! I'll keep an eye out for it.

SheosMan117

#17 Post by SheosMan117 »

I have to admit, I liked this game. There are a few things I'd change though. For one, the player needs to be able to view a list of crafting recipes at any time. It's frustrating to think you have enough to make something, only to get back to the shop and find you're missing something. So having a part of the journal dedicated to listing recipes that'd be great. Also, maybe add some kind of breakdown feature, or a trash can. When you make say, a better weapon than what you have, the old weapon just takes up space in the inventory, and there's no way to remove it. At minimum, I think trash can of some kind. Though, if you can figure it out, maybe a way to break it down. There's a mod for Skyrim called smeltdown, it lets you take old armors/weapons, and smelt them down into ingots, it's a good way to recycle old equipment. (You don't get everything back. IE, one sword = 1 ingot.) Such a feature here could clear up inventory space, and making new equipment could be a bit easier. Also, yes, I'd love to see more characters. 2 people (3 including Van now) don't make a guild.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#18 Post by wyverngem »

Okay, so I played for about an hour and was able to see up to the point where Maya joined the team. I was playing on normal and felt overall it has some nice feature and the game play is fine. There are things definitely that need to be improved on.

It would be nice to be able to skip the opening after you've seen it. I rolled back and got to the difficulty setting by accident and had to watch it over again without being able to skip. (Three times because I was trying to figure out the controls of the quick menu.)

I think to improve the opening show me more images of what you're talking about. The painted cityscape was nice, but it didn't show me what kind of city this was. I hadn't put on my headphones so originally so I really thought it looked like a peaceful down, not a bustling merchant city.

How do I save? When I was exited from the title the quick menu didn't tell me what the buttons where on the text box. Perhaps using a tooltip underneath the box when they are hovered would help with that.

Also I kept accidentally rolling back into the opening and had to listen to it over and over and over. I was just trying to figure out the menu! XD You could add a game pad at the start of the game to see the controls. That would be helpful.

The opening when he's first talking, perhaps instead a still image of himself working on something in the shop with the text like the beginning. Only changing to the side face image when Aria first enters.

So the opening made me laugh and I thought it was interesting enough. Although in the town the music suddenly stopped. A lot of the times in the game the music suddenly stops and during cut scenes the music is constantly running out.

On your map menu of the town the isometric is nice, but you could add the characters standing on the maps as well. Also it would be nice to be able to use the mouse to click on where you want to go along with the keyboard.

^^; There wasn't anywhere to find the help information when you clicked off it or too fast. It'd be nice to have a journal that has this information since there's more then just the opening controls.

In the forest can there be a sound when you get into battles? Is it just because you move to that area that you get into battles? The map doesn't change the blue color when you've collected the item. There's no way to tell which way you've been. I feel like there's a chance to get lost easily in a larger game, and in fact I did get lot a lot meaning I ran into more enemies.

At one point in the game I was constantly running away from fights to hurry back to town to recover. Maybe add an area where you can rest to recover your HP. Another thing I noticed was that eventually the items I was gathering weren't enough to recover the majority of my health. The most health recovery items could heal me up 12 points when I was down 50. There was no possible way, even gathering all the blue spots for me to recover without trekking all the way back to town. The battles really need some adjustments.

When you got the materials for the first sword. Did you have to go back to the workshop or did you have to forge the sword? There's nothing on the quest menu that directs you on what to do.

After I got Maya the sword wasn't automatically equipped on her. Also was kind of shocked that Maya didn't have any armor when you first recruited her so I had to craft her some. Not a big deal, but would have been a harder battle if I hadn't noticed she game with nothing. In the Equip menu there was no sign that you could unequipped an item by clicking on it under equipment. ^^; For a moment I thought I had completely dropped the weapon. I think by having a help menu in game that explains how to use the menus and game would be a feature to add. I know directions are hard to think of when creating things and tutorials can be a hassle and annoying to players, but not having the information makes it confusing for players.

When you enter the forest again with Maya it would be helpful it would be helpful in the quest log to know where you're supposed to go? I tried going to the locked area, but found it wasn't the right place.

That was about how far I got into the game. I agree with SheosMan, there needs to be a drop item for the menu. It'd also be nice to have some sort of medic or herbalist to get higher quality healing items from.

As for your question about a follow-up game. It would be interesting, but I wouldn't be interested in romance. I played for an hour and there weren't any choices. So having characters to romance doesn't make sense to me.

I would recommend this game to be played to my friends, but I think I need a break before I try the second boss again.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#19 Post by sendo »

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! It's been a while since I've touch this game because of a million other stuff so I can't promise an immediate fix for the issues right now. But I really appreciate you guys trying it out and leaving feedback! I'm glad you guys liked it ^_^
wyverngem wrote:How do I save? When I was exited from the title the quick menu didn't tell me what the buttons where on the text box. Perhaps using a tooltip underneath the box when they are hovered would help with that.
The save button is on the upper-left corner, or you can also press number 3 on the keyboard to bring it up.

I'm short on time, so I can't answer all the questions and feedback but I am definitely noting all of your suggestions! For those still looking forward to the continuation, it's currently on hold (been that way since July, actually ^^; because of a lot of things.) I'm not abandoning this game though! It's one of my stories from years ago that I haven't dropped all these years, so I'm definitely going to finish it someday, one way or another ^_^
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#20 Post by Ran08 »

Hello, just wanna say that I really liked this! The writing was really good, the art was very polished, and I greatly enjoyed the RPG aspect of it. I wish it was longer, though, haha.

I actually played this months ago (and even made a review of it), but I didn't realize that I never commented here until now. Haha. Oh well. Anyway, hope to see the full version of this someday!

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#21 Post by sendo »

Thanks for the review. I just read it and I just wanted to explain this one thing:
Also, the characters don’t have levels here, so fighting the monsters don’t reward you with EXP, which, in other games, could increase HP and SP—not to mention, it could also increase the player’s motivation to actually defeat the said monsters. I’m not sure why it wasn’t included;
The short answer is I didn't have enough time to implement it. Keep in mind that this was done for NaNoRenO so time was limited and I had to cut corners ^^;

Long story is, if I added EXP I would have to re-balance everything to make sure that the leveling up mechanic doesn't break the game. I would have to figure out how much stats to increase for every level up, for every character. That might sound easy, but it's actually quite intricate, in that I have to take into account many things including:

+ Balancing enemy EXP drops, in a way that doesn't make the game too grindy but also not too easy
+ Deciding enemy stats itself, such that enemies provide adequate challenge as the game progresses but also takes into account the player's general level when they fight them
+ Balancing player equipment, such that equipment plays a bigger role in improving the character stat while leveling up gives a balanced and permanent stat gain
+ Level caps, which ties into enemy EXP drop
+ Game testing (which is probably the most time-consuming part)
+ Something else I don't recall

All of that combined takes a big chunk of time and planning. Without EXP, I didn't think about all of that. It was a matter of deciding what weapon the player can craft in an area. Then once they craft those weapons/equipment, they would then be able move to the next area.

So in a way, removing EXP and relying only on equipment for stat gain is a more manageable way to balance the game. I didn't want to include EXP just for the sake of it too, not only because of the reasons above, but I also wanted to have different kinds of EXP and progression (such as individual Character Level and Crafting Level for Van).

But long story short, I just took the easy way out :P

By the way, I'm not saying this to dismiss the criticism about the lack of EXP, I totally understand it and I know that it's a flaw going by the general RPG standards. I'm just sharing my point of view as the developer as to why this decision was made :) EXP is actually implemented in the currently on-hold sequel but I'll talk about that when the time comes.

Again, salamat sa review and I've noted your observations ^_^
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Treladon
Regular
Projects: ToMaG, Feinted Game
Organization: Kuehler-Corrada Productions
Deviantart: Journie

#22 Post by Treladon »

Just started playing this, and I am way impressed! Great interface! Really high quality. I got to this page because of your "shameless plug" on a topic about 2D navigation, and I'm so glad. I'm pretty new to VN's as a whole, but this is the best one I've seen so far. Great work!
WIP: The Tasks of Messengers and Guardians - Progress Page Here!