[redacted] Life (Horror/Comedy) (NaNoRenO 2016)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: [redacted] Life (Horror/Comedy) (NaNoRenO 2016)

#16 Post by Katy133 »

fizzhog wrote:I played it right through to the end in one sitting. Even as a VN noob I had no trouble figuring out what to do with one exception:
When the game tells you to edit a file the only way I could get it to activate the bypass key was by closing the game and then restarting and going through the previous bit of dialogue again. Was this correct or was there another way?
Yes, that was the correct way to do it.
fizzhog wrote:
Also when you reset at the end will the game change the file back for a future playthrough or do you have to do that manually?
You'd have to change it back manually, as the game doesn't do it automatically.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

#17 Post by Katy133 »

There's now a behind-the-scenes article for [redacted] Life! It contains notes on the development process, concept art, and more!
ImageImage

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

#18 Post by fmjaye »

I've finally played this and it was awesome~!

1. First impressions in general? (On story, game type etc.?)
I think I got my assignments before reading the WIP thread so my first impression was something like wondering how this is going to fit together.
Playing the game, the first time the game closed itself and I opened it again was super cool. haha You definitely pulled it off!
But before I knew what the game was going to be about, I really wanted to work with you because your stories are so unique and interesting!

2. Thoughts on the characters?
I'm really interested in Hana & Adrian loving people they know are fictional. It made for some pretty sad parts.
I kind of would have liked to see more of Simon... Given all the time I spent shouting at him "you are NOT being helpful", "you SHOULD be sorry" etc etc...

4. Comments on the art?
wow those tarot cards are great
It's really good! You used all the different styles really well.
Except for... people commented before that the CG where
Adrian kills Clara
feels kind of out of place stylistically. And even though I enjoyed drawing it, I have to agree. orz

5. How far did you get into the game?
I finished it the first time, then I went back and got a game over screen twice so I could see my CG |D;;;;

6. Was anything in the game too confusing?
YES. orz;;;;; Really I was just overthinking it, though. So much so that I broke the game for a second! Once I figured it out I was pretty embarrassed. |D;
But I think the story was clear.

7. What did you think of the game by the end?
I think the end came too soon after the confusing, frustrating bit. |D;; I needed a bit more time to get back into it.
Trile talking to the player at the end was a little sad... ;w; At least Adrian and Hana can leave.
Honestly it was so cool. You executed the concept so well. I didn't really expect to be so interested in the characters in such a short game, but it was really intriguing.
All the glitchyness was awesome~! I love that kind of thing in general but you used it really well.

8. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!
The RPG part was awesome!
It would have been cool to learn more about Simon, Tirle and Clara.
I don't want to say "it could be a longer game" because that makes it sound like it was incomplete, but it did touch on a lot of interesting things that would be really cool to see fleshed out. It does feel finished, but it also leaves you imagining "what if..."
It was kind of weird how at the end when
they wake up
, Hana is still wearing that uniform and Adrian that scarf.
Okay, I've been reading the rest of the thread while writing this. So if the scarf is Adrian's, then Hana...? Did she go to [redacted] life straight from an anime convention...? Well that's my headcanon now.
Overall, it was really good! haha I don't think I've been very articulate here, and I'm not going to start being articulate any time soon so asdfghjkl

Also it was really cool to work with you and see this game come together! Playing it was really fun!
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#19 Post by YossarianIII »

1. First impressions in general? (On story, game type etc.?)
I was looking forward to this one after playing Three Guys That Paint last year, and I think [redacted] Life is even better. They are two of the only VNs I've played where something happened that genuinely surprised me (which is particularly cool for [redacted] Life since I was expecting a surprise and still didn't see it coming).

Tirle is my favorite. I especially liked what Tirle says
at the end if you decide not to overwrite the save file.
In general I thought the characters had distinct designs/personalities and all worked well.

4. Comments on the art?

Great! I love the title screen
and all its variations.
The sprites fit well with the backgrounds. It felt like a coherent style, and I like the way the shading looked.

I also really liked the art in all the
meta-gamey parts, like the convincing fake Ren'Py error screen and the part where Tirle is standing against the default background.
Also, the save screen is great.

Finished it, then played around a little to see what the different choices did.

No, I thought it was all clear.

It felt like just the right length for a NaNo game. One of my favorites on LSF so far.

8. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!
If you do another update, there's a minor typo in the part "he was trying to add-lib a test" (should be "ad-lib" or "ad lib"), but otherwise, I think you must've already caught the typos previous posters mention.

This felt to me like a logical next step after your previous games, so I'm excited to see what the step after this is!

Image Image

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#20 Post by kara24601 »

When I saw that it's supposed to act a certain way after various points, I thought that was kinda funny and really smart.

But certain things aren't funny / cool to me.
It's really making me angry and I don't like stuff like this where the game itself tells me about a file but the file doesn't really exist so I can't hack it because it doesn't exist and I see no real / other way to hack or I could try to "hack" but that would probably just mess up the coding and wouldn't be the real game anymore or something.

Please help.
No matter how many times I restart , the "bypass" button is always gray...this is what I can't get pass so I can't move forward.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Katy133 »

kara24601 wrote:When I saw that it's supposed to act a certain way after various points, I thought that was kinda funny and really smart.

But certain things aren't funny / cool to me.
It's really making me angry and I don't like stuff like this where the game itself tells me about a file but the file doesn't really exist so I can't hack it because it doesn't exist and I see no real / other way to hack or I could try to "hack" but that would probably just mess up the coding and wouldn't be the real game anymore or something.

Please help.
No matter how many times I restart , the "bypass" button is always gray...this is what I can't get pass so I can't move forward.
Well, have I got great news for you! :D There is a file that you can hack.

Here is a walkthrough I made for you.

"The file doesn't really exist", indeed.  ̄ω ̄ Would I make up a file? ;)
ImageImage

TazTheFirst
IRC Nick: Taz
Tumblr: tazthefirst

#22 Post by TazTheFirst »

This seems interesting...can't wait to play it! :D
My W.I.P Project :D --- viewtopic.php?f=43&t=40640

Goblin Market

#23 Post by Goblin Market »

Thanks for this tip. I was overthinking things and looking through other app files instead of the one right in front of me :D

This game is genius-level stuff. Being naturally skeptical of everything these days, I found the initial description I read in a review kind of "eh" (I reflexively yawn at the word "deconstruction") but you wow'd me when
the game crashed and then restarted as a different game.

Your coding creativity is super impressive!

To prospective players: This is a game you have to experience to appreciate. Even if, like me, this didn't seem like your thing, check it out anyway. It's short, and in 20 minutes it will reaffirm your faith that a Ren'Py game can still surprise you.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#24 Post by Zelan »

There's now a fanwork which is an unofficial continuation of this game that was done for SuNoFes this year. I personally think it's phenomenal and ties in perfectly with [redacted] Life. (You can probably tell how much I liked it from my comment over on itch.io, haha.)

Norbez
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, HCF, Hummingbird Haunting, Literate, Where Is The Edge of Space, Colmercia, Cally & Lingo, Comfort Owl, Fantastic Backflip, The Mouse
Tumblr: NaomiNorbez
itch: norbez

#25 Post by Norbez »

Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:18 pm There's now a fanwork which is an unofficial continuation of this game that was done for SuNoFes this year. I personally think it's phenomenal and ties in perfectly with [redacted] Life. (You can probably tell how much I liked it from my comment over on itch.io, haha.)
Thank you so much for your kind words, both here on Lemmasoft and on itch.io. I'm extremely flattered. :,)
Your comment also reminded me that I wanted to make a Lemmasoft thread for [redacted] Life: End State. So I put one together, which you can see here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45759&p=464995
Thanks again for commenting!
Hi there! Hope you have an awesome day! Keep up the good work on your project. You can do it! :)

Awiola

#26 Post by Awiola »

1. First impressions in general?
So, well, I started to play quite a long time after downloading and just forgot what all this is about. Thus I can say that my very first impression was 'this looks good' probably mostly because of music and somewhat spooky mood. And that was great, indeed.

I like him. Or maybe both [I'm just not sure] of them but mostly Adrian. Their self-awareness and sarcasm... It fits they perfectly but I suppose, maybe because of the game influence on her, Hana was a bit too narcistic for me. She's just not my type, if I can say this way.
Btw, so our tsundere is in fact yandere... That was unexpecting. And his confidence in his feeling-hidding-skills... Heh.
4. Comments on the art?
Looks good together, even if was painted by several people. Though I think they'll look better and greater fits their games if person who made sprite for Hana and Rebecca made all in probably-otome part. [You know, pastels and all.]

Unlocked all endings. Probably. And unfortunately unlocked true at first so horror part plot was a bit less intresting.

Nope. In somewhat weird way all was unexpectedly clear or so I thought I understood.

As I say earlier - great, especially as something made for NaNoRenO. [And it's clear that you had much to do and limited time.]

8. Just who/what exactly is Tirle? [As I looked, you only mention who he could be, not is...]

You're planning maybe to make something similiar? I mean with this twisted plot and all? [Cuz I'll be looking forward for these kind of games.]
My english is pretty horrible c: Honest Critique

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Katy133 »

Awiola wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 amYou're planning maybe to make something similiar? I mean with this twisted plot and all? [Cuz I'll be looking forward for these kind of games.]
I like switching genres, so although I don't have plans on making another horror game (not for long time, anyway), I do plan on making more visual novels that play around with the medium and "break the rules." ;)
ImageImage