Abandoned Building Quest [Adventure/RPG/Parody] [NaNo 2016]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LydianChord
Completed: Time's Race Against Time, KAIMA Bad Ending Gaiden, Abandoned Building Quest
Projects: Her Tears Were My Light, KAIMA, Mermaid Splash, Us Lovely Corpses (soundtracks)
Tumblr: LydianChord
Github: lydianchord
Soundcloud: LydianChord
itch: alexh

Abandoned Building Quest [Adventure/RPG/Parody] [NaNo 2016]

#1 Post by LydianChord »

I actually finished this game weeks ago, but I just joined here, so I'll go ahead and make a post about it now.

So, in addition to writing the soundtrack for NomnomNami's NaNoRenO 2016 game, Her Tears Were My Light (https://nomnomnami.itch.io/her-tears-were-my-light -- You should play it if you haven't already!), I also made my own game, Abandoned Building Quest!

Basically, you explore an abandoned building and try to make decisions along the way that increase your chances of survival. Because a lot of things can kill you, including monsters that you fight and/or attempt to appease. I implemented a custom turn-based battle system for this game that also requires careful timing to maximize damage and avoid attacks. It's actually possible to get to the final boss relatively quickly once you piece together how to do it, but you should save often in case anything tragic happens to you.

My favorite part of making the game was composing the chiptune-style soundtrack, so I hope you enjoy that too!

Game: https://alexh.itch.io/abandoned-building-quest
Soundtrack: https://lydianchord.bandcamp.com/album/ ... soundtrack

Image Image
Image Image

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Abandoned Building Quest [Adventure/RPG/Parody] [NaNo 20

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

I mentioned a couple things about this game on Twitter a while back, but now that there's a thread here, I'll post a little more in-depth.

I liked the overall style of the game. Visually and sonically, it nailed the old-school aesthetic. It encourages trial-and-error, which is another nice old-school touch. And of course the soundtrack is great.

This game was difficult, but mostly in a good way -- particularly because it was short. If it'd been longer, I might've been frustrated by
some of the random elements. Like how sometimes there's a random damage penalty for moving down the hallway, how at least one of the weapons is useless/near useless, and how quickly you have to pick a dodge option.
But for a short game, getting this bad luck is actually kind of funny, and it's fun to save-scum and try again. I'd definitely be curious to see a someone else try this game for the first time... It kind of seems perfect for Let's Plays.

Finally, I was inspired after seeing the NaNo gift art thread elsewhere in the forums, so I've started leaving art with some of my NaNo comments. Here's a picture of Disembodied Hand (drawn in the cartoon style I use for my VNs, which means no fingers and stick-figure arms :) )

Anyway, really enjoyed this one overall and hope to see you make more!

Image Image

LydianChord
Completed: Time's Race Against Time, KAIMA Bad Ending Gaiden, Abandoned Building Quest
Projects: Her Tears Were My Light, KAIMA, Mermaid Splash, Us Lovely Corpses (soundtracks)
Tumblr: LydianChord
Github: lydianchord
Soundcloud: LydianChord
itch: alexh

Re: Abandoned Building Quest [Adventure/RPG/Parody] [NaNo 20

#3 Post by LydianChord »

Thanks for the feedback (and the fanart)! Yup, I included the things you mentioned in your spoiler text to encourage heavy save scumming, which may or may not be funny to different people. And yeah, a let's play would be amusing to watch! In any case, I definitely wouldn't make the game so malicious if I were working on a more serious project. But I think I'm more inclined to stick to writing music, at least for the near future.
Things I've worked on:
- KAIMA Soundtrack (dark RPG with multiple endings, game by NomnomNami here)
- Her Tears Were My Light Soundtrack (NaNoRenO 2016, yuri game with time travel and cute artwork, game by NomnomNami here)
- Abandoned Building Quest (NaNoRenO 2016, weird adventure game with battles and chiptune music)