Just Another Day in Paradise [NaNo] [Survival] [Apocalyptic]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
seacowsoda
Completed: Just Another Day in Paradise; 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum
Tumblr: seacowsoda

Just Another Day in Paradise [NaNo] [Survival] [Apocalyptic]

#1 Post by seacowsoda »

Hi all! You may have seen this in the NaNo WiP thread already, but we also just released an updated version of the game that fixes a bunch of bugs, so....!

My team and I have released "Just Another Day in Paradise" for NaNoRenO 2016, a short horror/survival game with tons of player choices, and a text-based combat system.

You can download it for free on itch.io.

We also have a couple other fun things related to the dev process you might enjoy: We're also considering investing a little more time into this one and bringing it to mobile, so I'd really appreciate any feedback you have! Anything you liked or disliked? What did you think of the characters? Anything we should change, add, or improve?

Thanks!

Kaina Blue
Regular
Projects: Howl of the Blood
Tumblr: kainablue
Deviantart: KainaBlue

Re: Just Another Day in Paradise [NaNo] [Survival] [Apocalyp

#2 Post by Kaina Blue »

Sounds very interesting! I'm definitely downloading it! :) After I finish it (sorry, but it won't be soon), I'll report to you. Good luck!

seacowsoda
Completed: Just Another Day in Paradise; 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum

#3 Post by seacowsoda »

Kaina Blue wrote:Sounds very interesting! I'm definitely downloading it! :) After I finish it (sorry, but it won't be soon), I'll report to you. Good luck!
Awesome! If you have time, I would really appreciate it! Taking me awhile to get through all the awesome VNs too!
Member of tripeLLLe | Writer/Coder/Mechanics Designer for Just Another Day in Paradise | Writer/Editor for Scheherazade

Sharane
Regular

#4 Post by Sharane »

Downloading right now! This topics is interesting though it isn't anything optimistic... I'm curious.
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

seacowsoda

#5 Post by seacowsoda »

Sharane wrote:Downloading right now! This topics is interesting though it isn't anything optimistic... I'm curious.
Noooooo, it is definitely not optimistic. There are some moment of hope in there though, I think.

Thanks for giving it a try!
Member of tripeLLLe | Writer/Coder/Mechanics Designer for Just Another Day in Paradise | Writer/Editor for Scheherazade

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#6 Post by ludeshka »

I liked the variety of choices and outcomes.
Also, some of the bad endings were super body horror
(the Queen put her eggs into my main character's body! While she was alive!! YUCK!!!)
This was a fun, fast paced game to play. The character designs were nice. (I liked their scruffy looks^^)

Will be looking forward to other projects from you.
I encountered a minor bug, so I'm attaching the traceback, but it didn't break the game, I just reloaded from another save and played on.
Attachments
just another traceback.txt
traceback
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

seacowsoda

#7 Post by seacowsoda »

ludeshka wrote:I liked the variety of choices and outcomes.
Also, some of the bad endings were super body horror
(the Queen put her eggs into my main character's body! While she was alive!! YUCK!!!)
This was a fun, fast paced game to play. The character designs were nice. (I liked their scruffy looks^^)

Will be looking forward to other projects from you.
I encountered a minor bug, so I'm attaching the traceback, but it didn't break the game, I just reloaded from another save and played on.
Cool, thanks for checking it out and for the feedback! Yeah, there were some parts that gave me chills when I read them for the first time from the other writers... haha...

Thanks for the traceback! I fixed the bug really quick last night, so if you re-download it it'll be fixed (in case you wanted to try that path again). Those pesky variables.

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#8 Post by Dreamgazer »

I was looking forward to playing this one! As soon as I read that it had tons of choices, I knew I had to try it. It felt very much like a traditional Choose-Your-Own-Adventure meets D&D, an aspect I enjoyed. The text-based combat was very nice - it made me feel like I was a part of the action.

Both characters were lovely. I'm quite fond of Charlotte's design in particular.

And I hope you don't mind that I did a Let's Play of it here. :)

Your team did a great job!

cometgears

#9 Post by cometgears »

The combat was pretty intense! I liked how interactive it felt. I only played through one ending, but I was amazingly relieved when I didn't die.

I was most curious about Charlotte at first, so I went with her stuff for my playthrough. But Ethan also seems interesting, so I'll definitely be trying to learn more about him next time.

Kaina Blue
Regular
Projects: Howl of the Blood
Tumblr: kainablue
Deviantart: KainaBlue

#10 Post by Kaina Blue »

I'm so sorry! I forgot to comment! :(

I played your game several times couple of months ago, and, whenever I'm bored, I give it another go. And I'm never disappointed :D

I actually like it very much! It's short, but very interesting, tense and some of the choises made me think very hard.

Great game! I wish it was longer, because it has the potential for a movie-like experience. But, overall, it's a great horror game!